• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Revealed: 1st wife of Dr GKS still alive at 85!

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/200/addthis_widget.js"></script> <!-- AddThis Button END -->

<!--Article Info--> Those were the happy days ...

Goh Kian Chee on his father, Goh Keng Swee

by Clement Mesenas,Today
05:55 AM May 26, 2010
<script type="text/javascript"> var fontIndex = 2; var fontSize = new Array('0.63em', '0.69em', '0.75em', '0.88em', '1em', '1.13em'); </script>
SINGAPORE - Mr Goh Kian Chee recounted yesterday the happy times he spent with his father - former Deputy Prime Minister Goh Keng Swee who was cremated on Sunday - playing chess, discussing politics, and accompanying him on holidays. But he also spoke of the sad times over the last two decades, after his parents divorced and Dr Goh remarried, when he saw less of his father.

"It was very hurtful as we were very close - even speaking over the phone with him became difficult as he had developed hearing problems," said Mr Goh (picture), 68, the only son of Dr Goh, a key founding father of modern Singapore.

Dr Goh's three great-grandsons have inherited his love of chess.

But his greater love was for golf. "He was almost a single handicapper and when I was working in London, he came over with my mother and headed for Edinburgh. He wanted to play at St Andrews. We were all so happy and relaxed, when we went later to the idyllic Lake District," said Mr Goh.

What was the best thing he learned from his father? Total commitment to excellence - Dr Goh applied this both to work and to golf. He won the Singapore Pro-Am, partnering Australian pro Peter Thomson, in the 1960s. Even better, Dr Goh scored several holes-in-one over the years.

Mr Goh's parents married in 1942 in the dark days of the Japanese Occupation - Dr Goh was a 24-year-old tax collector in the War Tax Department, Madam Alice Woon a 17-year-old clerk-cum-secretary in the same department who would help him find his glasses when he misplaced them.

"She was a dutiful wife. They did not talk about his work when he became a minister, but she was very supportive of him. She fussed over him and was very concerned about his safety," said Mr Goh. His parents - "she called him Bing because she thought he could sing" - were married for 40 years.

Mr Goh learnt of his father's death from his younger son. "My younger son telephoned to tell me of my father's death. I broke the news to my mother. She kept quiet for a long time - she was very distraught."

Mdm Woon, 85, has not been "terribly mobile" for the last five years
. She did not attend Dr Goh's funeral.

Mr Goh was grateful to the Government for honouring his father with a State funeral. "Over the last 10 days, very many people have expressed their deep concern for my father. It is impossible to thank each and every one of them, and I would like, on behalf of my mother, to convey our thanks and warm regards," he said.

He also described his mother and Dr Goh as having spent the best years of their lives together. She stood by him when he was at his "creative best, young, hale and hearty, energetic".

"She deserves a tribute for her role, and the nation ought to remember this when it wants to appreciate Dr Goh's life and contribution to Singapore,"
said Mr Goh.

"When she is ready, I will offer to take her to the columbarium where his ashes are," he said.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ST reported the 85-yr-old Mdm Alice Woon is living in a Bishan condo alone with a maid. Her son, his wife, children & grandchildren would visit the old lady once a month.....

My impression is this Dr Pang Swee Liang is a pretty petty woman, easily offended.

Remember when Ms Tan Siok Sun released 'Dr Goh Keng Swee - a Portrait' in 2007 ? Dr Pang kicked ip a small fuss, about the daughter-in-law being 'disrespectful', 'not valuing theiir privacy', 'did not get permission' etc.

Now upon Dr Goh's death, she was distributing a not-for-sale self-published booklet on Dr Goh & his private life (presumably after his divorce & life with her only). I have not seen this, but isn't it strange that the booklet was published in 2008, a year after the 'unauthorised' biography. So, she wanted to own her version of history & distrusted the other publication?

Anyway, reading between the lines of Goh Kian Chee's interview with the press & his reticence on relationship between him & his step-mother, it is clear the divorce & their relationships to this day is a sore point within the Goh family.

Must be painful for the other ex-Mrs Goh Keng Swee. She was almost totally air-brushed from all the Goh Tributes that had it not been for Kian Chee's latest revelation, I thought the 1st Mrs GKS was deceased & had preceded the late Dr Goh.

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Goh's three great-grandsons have inherited his love of chess.

Tot they inherited his love of chest :smile: Thats why divorce....

cleavage.jpg

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know Goh Kian Chee will always truly love his own biological mother.

In his heart, he always had wanted his parents to be as they were. But in his very own experience, he also had divorce his own wife, in his own life time.

This is sad.

Maybe in his own way, GKS had also created his son to be like him.

It would be more honourable for GKC to be unmarried or to stay unmarried after his own divorce, not becos this is the way to show how bitter he is, in against his own father's way in treating his own mother but in that way it would at least pave the way for a more honourable exit, at least in his own lifetime.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dr goh had a mischievious side and was a real playboy. Much to Dr phua's dismay, there are rumours that he was involved with another Prc woman during his time in beijing. Then again, which heterosexual man would let a chance slip when ladies throw themselves at him?

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In his heart, he always had wanted his parents to be as they were. But in his very own experience, he also had divorce his own wife, in his own life time.

This is sad.

It would be more honourable for GKC to be unmarried or to stay unmarried after his own divorce, not becos this is the way to show how bitter he is, in against his own father's way in treating his own mother but in that way it would at least pave the way for a more honourable exit, at least in his own lifetime.

Good points you raised.

The ex-wife of Goh Kian Chee, Ms Jennie Chua was present throughout - in public. I guess, she has the added status of being the mother of Dr Goh KS's First Grandson. Kian Chee's 1st & 2nd wife are at least civil in public (Ms Tan Siok Sun's highlighted hairdo gave her a hard bitchy look as well).

As for the Dr Pang Swee Liang & the out-of-public-eye-totally Ms Alice Woon. Theirs is the generation of Asian Traditionalists - you don't divorce your spouse & still claim they are the best of friends (unlike the Duchess of York & Prince Andrew). If they can be best of friends, then they won't have divorced at their ripe old age in the first place.

Notice Kian Chee's words: my mum was with my dad in the best years of their lives - 40 years quietly supporting him. But not to Dr Goh, he has lost the oomp & probably not very communicative with his old wife. The new soon-to-be 2nd wife Dr Pang was more equal to him in intellect rpobably. Not for Dr Goh, the straight go-getter, to stay in a loveless marriage for Asian values sake.

At the end of the day, I would still say I have to respect the man who dared to live his life the way he wanted it.

jw5

Loyal
Good points you raised.

The ex-wife of Goh Kian Chee, Ms Jennie Chua was present throughout - in public. I guess, she has the added status of being the mother of Dr Goh KS's First Grandson. Kian Chee's 1st & 2nd wife are at least civil in public (Ms Tan Siok Sun's highlighted hairdo gave her a hard bitchy look as well).

As for the Dr Pang Swee Liang & the out-of-public-eye-totally Ms Alice Woon. Theirs is the generation of Asian Traditionalists - you don't divorce your spouse & still claim they are the best of friends (unlike the Duchess of York & Prince Andrew). If they can be best of friends, then they won't have divorced at their ripe old age in the first place.

Notice Kian Chee's words: my mum was with my dad in the best years of their lives - 40 years quietly supporting him. But not to Dr Goh, he has lost the oomp & probably not very communicative with his old wife. The new soon-to-be 2nd wife Dr Pang was more equal to him in intellect rpobably. Not for Dr Goh, the straight go-getter, to stay in a loveless marriage for Asian values sake.

At the end of the day, I would still say I have to respect the man who dared to live his life the way he wanted it.
It's Dr Phua not Dr Pang.
How many times do I have to remind you? :smile:

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's Dr Phua not Dr Pang.
How many times do I have to remind you? :smile:
thank you for your patience.
Under PAP, I make same mistake TWICE sure kenna condemned oredy....
Dunno why I keep using 'Pang'.....:mad:

Lee5604

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr goh had a mischievious side and was a real playboy. Much to Dr phua's dismay, there are rumours that he was involved with another Prc woman during his time in beijing. Then again, which heterosexual man would let a chance slip when ladies throw themselves at him?

There was a book title whose title means "Crow" written in mandrin by a PRC writer. She caimed to the mistress of a cabinet minister from Singapore. Could this person be Goh Keng Swee by any chance?

jw5

Loyal
thank you for your patience.
Under PAP, I make same mistake TWICE sure kenna condemned oredy....
Dunno why I keep using 'Pang'.....:mad:
Elephants are supposed to have good memories.
But some people say that elephants have good memories because nobody ever tells them anything.....................

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

This is sad.

hi there

1. honest, i believe any sheep with the right frame of mind should leave the old dame alone and allow her to live out her days.
2. come on! let move on.
3. btw, sheepishland has two pending demise on the "waiting list" mah! (hubby/wife team).
4. save up the energy for the duo.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal

even if it meant being a totally self centered and selfish ass hole? if his 1st marriage was indeed "loveless", why didn't he divorce her sooner rather than drag it out for 40 years?

old man horny, cannot control his penis. left his 1st wife for another ho.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
<IFRAME style="Z-INDEX: 100000; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; POSITION: absolute; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 1px; HEIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: 0px; TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; LEFT: 0px" id=_atssh68 height=1 src="//s7.addthis.com/static/r07/sh18.html#cb=0&ab=-&dh=www.sammyboy.com&dr=&du=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sammyboy.com%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo%3Dnewreply%26p%3D470835&dt=&inst=1&lng=en-sg&pc=men200&pub=&ssl=0&sid=4bfd1ae5a7fed7c6&srd=0.1&srf=0.02&srp=0.2&srx=0&ver=200&xck=0&rev=77322&xd=1" width=1 name=_atssh68 frameborder="0"></IFRAME>
Anybody knows/want to guess why Kian Chee didnt speak at the funeral?

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/200/addthis_widget.js"></SCRIPT> <!-- AddThis Button END -->

<!--Article Info-->Those were the happy days ...