• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Returning S'pore student told by five junior colleges that he's not good

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
5 'NAYS'
8 As
Returning S'pore student told by five junior colleges that he's not good enough to get in
He enters sixth JC and gets distinctions for seven A-level subjects and one H3 subject

March 11, 2009

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_PTEXAM_8.jpg

GOOD STUDENT: Temasek Junior College student Timothy Toh. PICTURE: TIMOTHY TOH

HE was rejected by five junior colleges.

You're not good enough, they told him.

He had taken the School Placement Exercise for Returning Singaporeans (Spers) and was found to be unfit for entry into any junior college.

But he did not give up.

He applied to a sixth - Temasek JC - which eventually accepted him.

On Friday, Timothy Toh Yuan Feng more than repaid the JC's faith in him - he scored As in seven subjects for his A levels.

The 19-year-old took French, maths, literature, history, economics, project work, and Knowledge and Inquiry (KI).

He also scored a distinction in his H3subject, Geopolitics: War and Peace, and is the top Arts faculty student in the JC this year.

The H3 subject is the equivalent of what used to be the S-paper.

All this after Timothy had found it so difficult to convince the JCs that he was worthy.

His family left for the Middle East when he was just a year old because his father, who works for a Singapore-based multi-national company, had been posted there.

He declined to give more details or say which Middle Eastern country they lived in.

After about three years, the family moved to the Philippines.

Three international schools

He spent seven years studying in two American international schools in Manila and then moved to a British international school.

'I was doing pretty well in the American schools,' said Timothy, 'but my mum wanted to acclimatise me to the education system in Singapore as she anticipated we would be returning soon.'

He was ranked third in his cohort in the British School.

His family returned to Singapore in 2007 and he launched his search to be accepted into the Singapore education system.

Timothy felt the Singapore education system helped him achieve his sterling performance.

'The KI syllabus makes us go in depth in accessing claims to truth.

'Singaporeans are often criticised for not thinking critically and not being innovative. I think this is not the case with KI at the A levels.'

He was also grateful for his teachers' support. And they, in turn, were full of praise for him.

How did his college help him adjust to the local education system?

'The school welcomed my differences and my teachers were very engaging. My humanities teachers were also very genuine,' said Timothy.

Impressed teachers

Mrs Carol Lofthouse, his civics tutor, described him as a sharp and perceptive student who effectively used his experiences abroad.

'Timothy is the sort of young man one would choose to have if stranded on a desert island,' added Mrs Lofthouse.

His economics tutor, MrsAng Siew Kwai, added: 'He is the most mature student I've met in my 20 years of teaching. I would really love to have him as my son.'

Timothy's willingness to learn reaped dividends in other areas: He landed the Singapore Police Force Junior College Book prize and was the top KIstudent throughout his years at Temasek JC.

Mr Rajesh Krishnamuti, who teaches literature, said: 'He keeps me on my toes. There's never a dull moment with him in class.

'He invites you to re-consider the way you teach and present your answers.'

Timothy, for his part, has mostly praise for the Singapore education system.

And his advice to parents keen on sending their children abroad: Don't, because the Singapore system pushes students to achieve more.

A perception among some Singaporeans is that western education systems allow for more creativity.

But Timothy, who spent seven years under the American education system, and four years in a British school before returning to Singapore, said: 'Here, not only in academics but even in CCA (co-curricular activities), the students aim for gold medals and awards. This is not the case in the west.

'I could have taken up 5 CCAs in my international schools and I would have managed.

'But here, I can join only one because of the commitment expected of me.'

Timothy is a competitive swimmer who won several competitions while he was in school in the Philippines.

But he was not able to repeat that success in Singapore.

'We are expected to reach deeper into subjects and sports we engage in rather than wider,' added Timothy.

More formal

Another key difference between the Western systems and the Singapore one is the way students relate to teachers, he said.

Timothy said: 'The student-teacher relationship here is much more formal.

'I was really shocked when my class stood up and greeted the teacher on the first day of school. I have never done that before in my life.'

At his previous international schools, students would occasionally greet teachers on their way to class - and would sometimes not.

Also, he said, the American and British education systems did not have a widely recognised grading system, such as PSLE and the O- and A-level examinations.

'There is nothing to give a nationwide gauge there, other than the SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test), which is only just before university.

'Before that, scoring an A in one school cannot be said to be scoring an A in another school.'

The SAT is a standardised test for college entrance in the US.

He said: 'The system here forces commitment and this was something the other education systems did not require of its students.'

Pearly Tan, newsroom intern

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,195304,00.html?

Why Temasek JC took Timothy in
March 11, 2009

TEMASEK Junior College (TJC) believes in providing opportunities.

That was why it gave Timothy Toh a chance after he was deemed ineligible for entrance into five other junior colleges.

His results in the School Placement Examination for Returning Singaporeans (Spers) were not revealed to him, but he was told he was ineligible for entry into any of Singapore's 18 colleges.

Timothy had taken tests in mathematics and English.

So why did TJC make an exception for the then-17-year-old?

Vice-principal Aziz Tyebally said: 'It was based on his scintillating track record - both academic and non-academic - that we decided to shortlist him and grant him an interview, as well as allow him to sit for our internal placement test.'

Mr Aziz said Timothy had shown great achievement in non-academic areas, including drama, swimming and water polo.

'While the college carefully looks at the results of the Spers papers, it also tries to havea more holistic evaluation of the individual concerned.

'For Timothy, one of the other areas we looked into was a review of his past academic records, which were glowing and strongly supported by testimonials of several of his teachers.'

Timothy was exempted from an internal English examination by the college as he had achieved A* for his GCSE examinations.

He was, however, made to sit for the 'A'maths assessment that is pegged to the GCE O-level standard.

Said Mr Aziz: 'We understand that some returning Singaporeans would not have had exposure to the kind of mathematics that is similar in rigour to our Singapore syllabus, and this may lead to their inability to do well in our 'A' mathematics tests.

'Hence, our holistic approach to evaluating candidates.'

Timothy was also called for an interview with the vice-principal and administrative manager. During the interview, qualities such as leadership, confidence and communication were evaluated.

Mr Aziz said: 'The interview would thus be pivotal in determining the suitability of a candidate.

'The focus of the individual and maturity of thought were other characteristics we looked at in addition to his academic aspirations.'

The interview results also determine whether the student is to enter the science or arts stream.

'We believed that given time, Timothy would not only be able to adapt but to excel in all he focused on,' said Mr Aziz.

Pearly Tan, newsroom intern

LoveSingFade

Alfrescian
Loyal
why he never name the 5 JCs which rejected him??? :confused:

wanna tell, tell all lah..

Ya Loh, must name the 5 F--king Ya Ya Arogan JCs here, I hate those JCs that thought only they can produce elite. :mad:

Hope someone can dig out the names.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why he never name the 5 JCs which rejected him??? :confused:

wanna tell, tell all lah..

sigh!...why don't the parents just get him educated outside SINgapore..our educational system is not that wonderful.. it is stressful, nerve-wrecking & in the long run produces neurotic people, who have a warp sense of the world...and from the 1980's, a generation of Ah bengs & ah lians..who neither speak good Mandarin or English, write good Chinese or English...

why come back to SINgapore?......why?...If I were the son, I will ask my parents..WHY?!

:confused:

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya Loh, must name the 5 F--king Ya Ya Arogan JCs here, I hate those JCs that thought only they can produce elite. :mad:

Hope someone can dig out the names.

I can tell you that all the top 10 JC in Singapore are all flooded with China students or oversea students. China students makes up of around 95%, and the other 5% is other races like Indians etc.

You wont be surprise that the JCs classes are mostly made up of 80% China Students and the other 20% are mixes of Singaporeans, Indians and other countries.

And all these foreign students especially the China students, came here to study for free. Free scholarships no bond attached, no string attached, nothing. After they finished their studies, they can go anywhere they want, after their JCs. They can go overseas universities after that.

Our hard earned Singaporeans taxpayers money are rather given to these China students freely as scholarships, and our PAPpies didnt even want to give it to the local Singaporeans.

I have heard from friend's sons and daughters that when they interact with the China students in their classes, do you know what happened? The China Students are arrogance, proud, selfish and even looked down on the Singaporeans. The China students never share notes with them, and when there's problems in homework, the China Students only helped their own people and disregards their own Singaporeans classmate.

The China students even said that our PAPpies government are stupid by giving them free scholarships to study here in Singapore, and they even say that after their JCs, they will definitely go to oversea like USA, to further their studies and worked in overseas as well but not in Singapore.

Fucking chee bye PAPpies, always doing money losing business. Rather throw our taxpayers money into free scholarship for foreigners but not their own Singaporeans. Rather buy more useless stocks and shares of banking companies in USA and other countries rather then putting the money back into our Singapore stock markets.

Fucking chee bye, always waste our taxpayers money, and rather use them on foreigners than the local Singaporeans.

Fucking chao chee bye PAPpies