• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Retired Mother Tongue Teachers To Be Retrained As Kindergarten Teachers Instead Of Security Guards!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
preschool-teachers.png

Security-Officer-By-Momofuku-Ando-620x417.jpg

SINGAPORE: Retired teachers can potentially be a “good source of supply” to augment the pool of local mother tongue language teachers in the pre-school sector, said Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Education Low Yen Ling in Parliament on Monday (Nov 6).

However, they will need to be updated with the relevant training and skill sets, she added.

Ms Low, who was responding to a question from MP Intan Azura Mokhtar, also revealed that currently, six in 10 mother tongue language teachers in the pre-school sector are locals. “We will double up the efforts in continuing to attract mother tongue language teachers to our sector,” she said.

Dr Intan had noted that there are still “quite a number” of foreign mother tongue language teachers in pre-school centres.

“The concern really is about their bilingual abilities, understanding of local cultures and contexts and conversational accents in teaching our children,” she said, asking if there are plans for conversion programmes for retired mother tongue language teachers from primary schools or current primary school teachers, should they wish to join the pre-school sector.

In response, Ms Low said the teachers will need to undertake “brief bridging programmes”. She explained that if the teacher was previously teaching mother tongue in a primary school, he or she would need to do such a programme in early childhood education.

“If the retired teacher was previously teaching non-mother tongue language subjects like mathematics or science, then we will require the teacher to undertake a brief bridging programme in early childhood education, and also mother tongue language contextualised for the pre-school sector,” she added.

Ms Low stressed that the Government is committed to exploring all possible avenues to augment the pool of local mother tongue language teachers in pre-schools.

She added that the Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA) and the Education Ministry (MOE) have been working actively to grow the number of local pre-school teachers, including mother tongue language teachers. And the various efforts have grown the pool of local teachers dedicated to mother tongue language teaching by 35 per cent since 2015, to about 3,300 today.

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...ood-source-of-supply-to-increase-pool-9378510

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm surprised that MOE doesn't hire only mainland Chinese teachers to teach Mandarin to Sinkie students.

Chinese in mainland China look down on the standard of Mandarin Chinese being taught in Sinkie schools.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I'm surprised that MOE doesn't hire only mainland Chinese teachers to teach Mandarin to Sinkie students.

Chinese in mainland China look down on the standard of Mandarin Chinese being taught in Sinkie schools.

I am surprised that we are not training our elderly in counter-terrorism tactics so that they can serve as our security guards. The labour market for security guards has been tight lately and I am hiring.

MOE should allow free market enterprise to dictate movement of labour. Instead, it is now resorting to socalist control of the economy by channelling the old farts into being kindergarten teachers. What ever happened to basic supply-and-demand?

jw5

Loyal
Pappies are really experts at stating the obvious. :rolleyes::biggrin:

SINGAPORE: Retired teachers can potentially be a “good source of supply” to augment the pool of local mother tongue language teachers in the pre-school sector, said Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Education Low Yen Ling in Parliament on Monday (Nov 6).

However, they will need to be updated with the relevant training and skill sets, she added.

nin-nao-hiah

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the pre-school tuition and enrichment programmes are filled by foreign kids who can barely speak a word of English, and we have our local preschool teachers teaching them English to compete with our Singaporean kids.

And here is this Low Yen Ling saying our retired teachers need to be bridged with skills.

This is the Lee Hsien Loong Government for you, 69% Sinkies. He will let in all these foreign kids and then use local resources to train them to replace you.

This is with you, for you.

Nin-nao-hiah

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
must encourage everyone to use the SkillsFuture credits, ok?

oh, by the way, member mah? passion?

jw5

Loyal
They claim to be with you, for you, but actually, they are in you. :biggrin:

All the pre-school tuition and enrichment programmes are filled by foreign kids who can barely speak a word of English, and we have our local preschool teachers teaching them English to compete with our Singaporean kids.

And here is this Low Yen Ling saying our retired teachers need to be bridged with skills.

This is the Lee Hsien Loong Government for you, 69% Sinkies. He will let in all these foreign kids and then use local resources to train them to replace you.

This is with you, for you.

Nin-nao-hiah

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is mother tongue?...you can be Indian, but your mother tongue is Malay....my mother's tongue, was dialect....part of the Chinese language, Mandarin is just another dialect. So my mother tongue in school should be my mother's dialect?

What's mother tongue?. It should putong hua right? not mother's tongue...mother-in-law, tongue...that's another language.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very soon you’ll hear the mantra being blurted out. “work till you die. can talk must teach. can eat don’t waste.”

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very soon you’ll hear the mantra being blurted out. “work till you die. can talk must teach. can eat don’t waste.”

Old mother hen...are in demand....these are retire Chinese Language teachers...fudgy, grumpy & in the past not married & very sadistic with their canes & rulers...for they couldn't get a 'banana' to neutralise their over active hormones.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
for they couldn't get a 'banana' to neutralise their over active hormones.

Largely true if they're in their late 30s to early 50s. Unless they're on hormonal replacement therapy, it's dry and barren when they're at their 60s.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is mother tongue?...you can be Indian, but your mother tongue is Malay....my mother's tongue, was dialect....part of the Chinese language, Mandarin is just another dialect. So my mother tongue in school should be my mother's dialect?

What's mother tongue?. It should putong hua right? not mother's tongue...mother-in-law, tongue...that's another language.

Spot on. In the field of modern linguistics, there's no mention of the term "mother tongue". Instead, the term "first language" is used.

The fact that Sinkie gabrament sticks to using "mother tongue" is worrying: it shows that MOE is not using the latest methodologies to teach English, Mandarin Chinese, Tamil and Malay.