• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Republic poly Hostels Are Reserved For Foreign Students

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
yap, i am still trying to figure out how the fuck your friend took 2 hrs to travel from marine parade to RP. since you are the one raising this real life example. is your friend a cock that got lost easily?

wahlaneh...
Republic Polytechnic is in Admiralty.
from Marine Parade can take bus to Bedok then transfer to Circle Line at Paya Lebar then North-South line at Bishan.
no need 2 hrs unless massive traffic jam lah.:biggrin:

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
Republic Polytechnic is in Admiralty.
from Marine Parade can take bus to Bedok then transfer to Circle Line at Paya Lebar then North-South line at Bishan.
no need 2 hrs unless massive traffic jam lah.:biggrin:

Aiyoh! From Marine Parade already got bus to Paya Lebar no need to go to Bedok.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
lagi best now people living near those area stepping forward, so either she made up this example or her friend is a real cock.

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
lagi best now people living near those area stepping forward, so either she made up this example or her friend is a real cock.

In fact, just go to SBS Transit and try the route planner.

Using Marine Parade Road btw blk 72/74 as the starting point:

It seems that from Marine Parade to Woodlands Interchange (3 routes) travel time 89-94 mins. Of cause excluding waiting time and walking time to the bus stop and the transport from Woodlands interchange to poly.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
In fact, just go to SBS Transit and try the route planner.

Using Marine Parade Road btw blk 72/74 as the starting point:

It seems that from Marine Parade to Woodlands Interchange (3 routes) travel time 89-94 mins. Of cause excluding waiting time and walking time to the bus stop and the transport from Woodlands interchange to poly.

I really beh tahan.

My old place is near the current site of Woodlands MRT and just 1 street away to the current Republic Poly. During my primary sch days, only have MRT till Yishun. Woodlands link still not yet built. So morning, I take a feeder bus to Marsiling, then from Marsiling take a bus to Bugis. From Bugis I take MRT to Bedok, then from Bedok take feeder bus to Red Swastika School.

Now we have people say from Marine Parade take to Republic Poly need 2 hours. It's not the problem of transportation. It's human factor. Don't know how to take the fastest way to go to school and go back home.

Haizzzzz:(

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You all still don't understand the gist of it that Tracy's getting to. It's not about distances or hours. It's about choices and rights of citizens. Very few local students would want or need to stay in a hostel. However, be it if only just one, shouldn't be banned, and accorded at least the same terms and rates as foreign students.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
You all still don't understand the gist of it that Tracy's getting to. It's not about distances or hours. It's about choices and rights of citizens. Very few local students would want or need to stay in a hostel. However, be it if only just one, shouldn't be banned, and accorded at least the same terms and rates as foreign students.

you kana gong tao by her already. you siao liao

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal

We understood. But what Tracy is doing is to exaggerate the travel timing so as to justify the reason as to why her friend cannot be given a place in hostel.

In the 1st place, hostels were never part of the package for local Singaporean students in local polytechnics. Hostels were built for foreign students and local students start asking why they cannot stay in hostel. I find it pointless as Singapore is not US nor Australia where its few hundred kilometres to school from 1 point to the other point.

No hostel, then don't study in that school. Got other polytechnics. Cannot get in because cut off point not enough, that is not the school's fault. Study harder.

jw5

Loyal
What the poly students really want to know is:

Why are university students allowed to stay in hostels so that they can have sex with each other easily, whereas poly students are not? :o :biggrin:

Seriously though, if this issue was managed to be put through to the government, my guess is that their answer would be to "keep families together" or something of that nature. :wink:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the 1st place, hostels were never part of the package for local Singaporean students in local polytechnics. Hostels were built for foreign students and local students start asking why they cannot stay in hostel. I find it pointless as Singapore is not US nor Australia where its few hundred kilometres to school from 1 point to the other point.

I understand where you're coming from but I look at it this way - a hostel shouldn't be built for foreigners only, should be for who need it and want it. There're many Malaysian students and workers actually staying in Johor and commute to and fro every day, as they prefer it. A Singaporean shouldn't be deprived of the right to preference. When they want you to stay-in at army or police barracks miles from your home, you got no choice. Stay-in or get charged AWOL. When you want to study and cut down wasted traveling, and paying for it too, also cannot, also no choice, for foreigners only What kind of nation is this? Good grief!

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
What the poly students really want to know is:

Why are university students allowed to stay in hostels so that they can have sex with each other easily, whereas poly students are not? :o :biggrin:

Right, man. the old man will say that graduate mothers provide better genes so their offsprings will be better than those mums with poly education:wink:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I understand where you're coming from but I look at it this way - a hostel shouldn't be built for foreigners only, should be for who need it. There're many Malaysian students and workers actually staying in Johor and commute to and fro every day, as they prefer it. A Singaporean shouldn't be deprived of the right to preference. When they want you to stay-in at army or police barracks miles from your home, you got no choice. Stay-in or get charged AWOL. When you want to study and cut down wasted traveling, and paying for it too, also cannot, also no choice, for foreigners only What kind of nation is this? Good grief!

Singapore is not Malaysia nor Thailand. Public transport network is like a spider-web. Easily accessible. I don't see how going from 1 point to school takes 2 hrs daily.

If they want to stay near school, either get their parents to move or they rent a hdb room. Too expensive? Means they can't afford HDB room rental but able to afford hostel? If cannot afford, then should just go back home and save money for their parents. Kids these days spend money ijiban, because money not they earn, they don't know the value of money. Hostel also not their pay. If I have a kid who wants to go poly and tell me want to stay hostel, I tell him to ownself earn money and ownself pay rental.

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eh hello, what's the big deal from marine parade but study at RP. He is the one who chose the school. If he wants to be nearer, go and study at Temasek Polytechnic. :cool:

Hi bro, I think Auntie Tracy may not be wrong here, to be fair. Perhaps due to cut off points, the student have to go RP as he dun qualify for other polys. I do know RP has the highest cut-off points for the polys.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore is not Malaysia nor Thailand. Public transport network is like a spider-web. Easily accessible. I don't see how going from 1 point to school takes 2 hrs daily.

You missed our point again. I've reiterated more than once. It's not about distances and hours. It's about rights to preference. If an institution has no hostel facility, then too bad. If it has, any Singaporean who want to use it should be allowed to, even if his/her home is just across the street.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi bro, I think Auntie Tracy may not be wrong here, to be fair. Perhaps due to cut off points, the student have to go RP as he dun qualify for other polys. I do know RP has the highest cut-off points for the polys.

Moral of the story is study harder. Get to the school you want. Then no need travel far, no need pay extra money stay hostel.

Cannot get good results, blame school far, blame school hostel don't let locals stay. The blame game starts

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
You missed our point again. I've reiterated more than once. It's not about distances and hours. It's about rights to preference. If an institution has no hostel facility, then too bad. If it has, any Singaporean who want to use it should be allowed to, even if his/her home is just across the street.

If that's the case, then I suggest tracy to ask her friend to renounce citizenship, be a foreigner, pay more school fees and can get a hostel if the right to a hostel is what they want. :p

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If that's the case, then I suggest tracy to ask her friend to renounce citizenship, be a foreigner, pay more school fees and can get a hostel if the right to a hostel is what they want. :p

Why is everyone kpkbuing about hostels or the lack of it for FT and locals? Let's go back to basics - pitch tents! That way, there is tent space for everyone.

A spartan lifestyle may not be that horrible afterall. The campers can always study and do assignments in a 24-hr library. Spartan lifestyle helps build character.