• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PRs want their own contingent for NDP

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Letter from Kong Pih Shu 04:46 AM Aug 11, 2011

I write this as I watch on television the National Day Parade, (picture) which I have been watching since I came to Singapore five years ago.

In the last three years, I have been looking forward with increasing excitement for the Parade to start - the songs, the colour, the crowd, the military marches and the stories are stirring to me, a Malaysian and a Singapore permanent resident (PR).

I guess the atmosphere and the emotions that the organisers try to evoke are universal: The pain of growing up, the sacrifice that all have made, the solidarity of the different races, the uniqueness of Singapore today ... and the beauty of Marina Bay.

People from different backgrounds all like to hear a rags-to-riches story, which is always inspiring and touching. And Singapore is a winner because "giving up" is not part of the vocabulary - a spirit shared by its people.

Next year, maybe we should have a Singapore PR contingent for us to show our appreciation and gratitude to all Singaporeans.

- from todayonline

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah Neh contingent

101003093321_india1.jpg

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah Neh contingent...:eek:

Ah Tiong contingent...:eek:

Pinoy contingent....:eek:

Mudlaysia contingent...:eek:

Last edited:

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe the f**king moron should just take up citizenship and stop being a PR leech

Why is being a PR a leech compared to taking up citizenship? If he takes up citizenship he will not need to serve NS anyway. Similarly his children if born in Singapore as second generation PR will have to serve NS.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yah..the PRs should also organise the entire NDP thing - so that the NSFs can have a good break and go koon. Then perhaps we are spared the Kurmit in sari crap.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why is being a PR a leech compared to taking up citizenship? If he takes up citizenship he will not need to serve NS anyway. Similarly his children if born in Singapore as second generation PR will have to serve NS.

U guys are too caught up with the NS no NS thing. Personally I think making 2nd gen PR serve NS is bullshit. They should not have access to our countries military training and capabilities if they have a freaking backdoor open big big to run off to in times of trouble. 2nd gen PRs should all be sent home if they are not going to take up citizenship

Same goes for a PR they have a freaking backdoor open. If he was a citizen, he would be "suck here"(and I use this term loosely). Being a citizen makes this his country and will give him a sense of ownership. When U have a sense of ownership of something U will not take it for granted. e.g. if you were driving your own car, you would be more careful not to damage it as oppose to when you are driving someone else's car.

And more importantly, being PR, they enjoy some of the benefits we have while not having any of the obligations of citizenship

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very difficult to accommodate so many different contingents... The PRCs will tell the Ah neh's "Please don't cook curry"...

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
U guys are too caught up with the NS no NS thing. Personally I think making 2nd gen PR serve NS is bullshit. They should not have access to our countries military training and capabilities if they have a freaking backdoor open big big to run off to in times of trouble. 2nd gen PRs should all be sent home if they are not going to take up citizenship

Same goes for a PR they have a freaking backdoor open. If he was a citizen, he would be "suck here"(and I use this term loosely). Being a citizen makes this his country and will give him a sense of ownership. When U have a sense of ownership of something U will not take it for granted. e.g. if you were driving your own car, you would be more careful not to damage it as oppose to when you are driving someone else's car.

And more importantly, being PR, they enjoy some of the benefits we have while not having any of the obligations of citizenship

Not true. Many PRs have houses, cars, wives, mistress, dogs, kids... all rooted in Singapore. I don't see how these people can be more mobile than a Singaporean who can easily apply for PR elsewhere. PR has never been a big issue 2 decades ago... untill too many low quality ah nehs and ah tiongs are taken in... just imagine if the 1m plus ah nehs and ah tiongs disappear suddenly... life will be back to normal again.

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

the constitution states that only sinkies serve NS. So, no issue of making PRs serve NS. One of the "price" of being a citizen is he is obliged to serve NS if he is a guy. Other than that, if you look at the tiers of "benefits" told by the government, there is no marked advantage of being a citizen vs PR. Of course, only Sinkies can vote, stand for election, buy HDB at discounted prices, subsidised medical care, education.

If you have a high paying job - like FT, these are irrelevant to you. So, there is nothing to draw a PR to convert to citizen, because as a PR you are also benefiting from all these.

One very great incentive perhaps - free transport for citizens ... that might be a big carrot.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not true. Many PRs have houses, cars, wives, mistress, dogs, kids... all rooted in Singapore. I don't see how these people can be more mobile than a Singaporean who can easily apply for PR elsewhere. PR has never been a big issue 2 decades ago... untill too many low quality ah nehs and ah tiongs are taken in... just imagine if the 1m plus ah nehs and ah tiongs disappear suddenly... life will be back to normal again.

If the PRs are so rooted here, there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for them NOT to take up citizenship. I have no problem if the PRs are just Permanent residents with absolutely no benefits but the fact is their not and the only reason they would want to retain citizenship in their home country is that they want a backdoor just in case something happen. I have big issues with that, it shows the level of commitment these guys are willing to give to the country. I have a different problem with FTs but that's another thing altogether.

the constitution states that only sinkies serve NS. So, no issue of making PRs serve NS. One of the "price" of being a citizen is he is obliged to serve NS if he is a guy. Other than that, if you look at the tiers of "benefits" told by the government, there is no marked advantage of being a citizen vs PR. Of course, only Sinkies can vote, stand for election, buy HDB at discounted prices, subsidised medical care, education.

If you have a high paying job - like FT, these are irrelevant to you. So, there is nothing to draw a PR to convert to citizen, because as a PR you are also benefiting from all these.

One very great incentive perhaps - free transport for citizens ... that might be a big carrot.

Ur statement very contradicting leh. U say benefit no different then U list all the difference in benefits. In any case someone pls correct me if I am wrong, last I heard 2nd gen PRs who are PR(NOT converted citizens) also have to serve NS.

I doubt free transportation is a big enough carrot. The transportation in SG is so cheap to begin with. Personally I think we should be more radical. CPF 15% contribution by Employers will go into a shared pool to be redistributed to SG citizens instead of going into the PR's personal account

prinzy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for your offer, Mr Kong. Who needs your gratitute and appreciation? A contigent to show your appreciation and gratitute or to show off your numbers in Sillypore? I think your contigent will be the biggest in the parade. What we need is loyalty to stand up for Singapore when the time comes instead of hiding your tails between your legs and running away back home or another 'host' country taking all your riches earned here. If we really do have a PR contingent, imagine the PRs marching in their National costumes and marching styles, it would be a runaway circus show.

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A fucking PR think he owns Singapore. If PRs want to show their commitment and loyalty, take up citizenship!

Last edited: