• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Popular bookstore's Thomson Plaza outlet to close after 31 years this Sunday

Johnrambo

Alfrescian
Loyal
1561268105571.png

SINGAPORE — The Popular bookstore chain will bid farewell to its Thomson Plaza outlet, one of its longest-serving stores, after 31 years on Sunday (23 June).

The outlet has been operating since 1988 at the same location. Popular will close the outlet due to “lease issues”, the chain said in a statement on Friday (21 June).

Popular is inviting its customers to share their memories of the Thomson Plaza store in a Facebook photo contest. Three lucky winners will walk away with $20 worth of Popular vouchers. The contest will end on 25 June.

The outlet has been holding a “Forget Me Not – Everything Must Go” sale since last month. It is offering 15 per cent off all items, and up to 90 per cent off on selected products.

The Popular chain, which is celebrating its 95th anniversary this year, had held a promotion rewarding its top 95 spenders at the Thomson Plaza outlet with a complimentary three-year membership.

Members can enjoy up to 10 per cent off at all Popular and UrbanWrite stores, as well as exclusive invites to members-only events.

https://sg.style.yahoo.com/popular-...outlet-to-close-after-31-years-071240567.html

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
It's no longer a bookstore. This chain of bookstores sells snacks and computer accessories. And a hell lots of children assessment papers! A real bookstore is Kinokuniya which sells real books. Lol :biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's no longer a bookstore. This chain of bookstores sells snacks and computer accessories. And a hell lots of children assessment papers! A real bookstore is Kinokuniya which sells real books. Lol :biggrin:

My time was MPH and Times
Or those along Bras Brasah Road
Or the Saint in BBC

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I grew up with Thomson Plaza....the shops that are still there when the plaza started, Yamaha, KFC, there used to be Pizza Hut, the Pet Shop, the restaurant that had changed name so many times, the shop that sells watches, the tailor shop, Boby Shoes...a fashion shop that sell dresses, if I am not mistaken Rootes....& a few others I have forgotten...oh Yes!...BATA from day 1...POSB...the Malay barber shop....Popular came later..of course the all time attraction that drew the crowds to Thomson Plaza was Thomson Yaohan..

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Before Popular Bookstore, there was Big Bookshop. :wink:

2294_c1-1351180776.jpg

Big Bookshop's toy section was amazing, Popular's toy section is disappointing.

Also, some Popular outlets are starting to sell laptops and gadgets. Harvey Norman wannabe. :rolleyes:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nothing wrong with selling snacks, but selling devices and gadgets is a new phenomenon.

They were selling computer accessories e.g. USB flash drives, keyboards and mice for a long time, I remember Evergreen bookstore sold floppy disks back in the day.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Popular bookstore's boss is a notorious PAP porlumpar, so I hardly feel a tinge of sadness. :wink:

I also almost never shopped at Popular bookstores, unless it's an emergency and I needed to get something quickly e.g. some envelopes.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I grew up with Thomson Plaza....the shops that are still there when the plaza started, Yamaha, KFC, there used to be Pizza Hut, the Pet Shop, the restaurant that had changed name so many times, the shop that sells watches, the tailor shop, Boby Shoes...a fashion shop that sell dresses, if I am not mistaken Rootes....& a few others I have forgotten...oh Yes!...BATA from day 1...POSB...the Malay barber shop....Popular came later..of course the all time attraction that drew the crowds to Thomson Plaza was Thomson Yaohan..

Pizza hut still there.. just beside KFC.. both revamped

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Popular is like pasar malam; sell so many things other than books.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pizza hut still there.. just beside KFC.. both revamped

I thought it is only KFC...been eating at KFC there since it was opened...have not been there for a while though...I grew up with the area in which Thomson Plaza is located, from the days it was a rubber processing plant to when it was opened. What I misses most about Thomson Plaza is Yoahan...once in a while, I will make a 'pilgrimage' to visit Thomson Plaza.

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
The oldest and surviving stores would be the pet shop on the first floor, swensens on the third and the bata on the first floor? RIP most likely will be enbloc soon

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since late 90s stopped going there. 20 over years already. Swensens', western food joint on 2nd floor, sporting goods store near front entrance. Old fuzzy memories. I bought my first pair of Mizuno running shoe at that shop. My first walkman at Yaohan Best.

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
Missed those days when Yaohan Fiesta sells tonkatsu made from pork, yes piggy flesh! Now see more torikatsu than tonkatsu in jap joint. Why can't they just stick to their mee rebus and mee goreng?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Missed those days when Yaohan Fiesta sells tonkatsu made from pork, yes piggy flesh! Now see more torikatsu than tonkatsu in jap joint. Why can't they just stick to their mee rebus and mee goreng?

Lots of authentic Jap restaurants selling tonkatsu, and sometimes its their main specialty. It's those cheap non-authentic eateries which have to pander to customers who only eat halal food. :wink:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The oldest and surviving stores would be the pet shop on the first floor, swensens on the third and the bata on the first floor? RIP most likely will be enbloc soon

Not only the pet shop, the tailoring shop, the watch shop, Boby Shoes, Rootes, BATA ( had been there, from Day 1)...& the restuturant...forgotten the original name. The laundry shop which closed most recent...where I use to send all my dry cleaning to.

Last edited: