• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PM LEE: GODDAMN IT!! I say Jobs Credit Scheme is the BESTEST!!!!

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM defends Jobs Credit
By Aaron Low

ST PHOTO: EDWIN KOO
View more photos
WORKERS will benefit from the Jobs Credit scheme in two ways and yesterday, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong highlighted them when he responded to its critics in Parliament.

One, it reduces the cost of a hiring a Singaporean by paying, on behalf of employers, part of the worker's contribution to his Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings, and two, it encourages companies to hire more Singaporeans.

In doing so, he said the scheme also deals specifically with an overriding worry of Singaporeans: whether they can keep their jobs in this downturn.

Mr Lee explained the scheme at length as he sought to reassure Singaporeans on how the ground-breaking policy will help save jobs.

The Prime Minister noted that in last week's Parliament debate on the Budget Statement, most MPs supported the Budget but the points they raised showed that Singaporeans were fearful of losing their jobs.

The Jobs Credit, a key piece of the Budget, 'specifically addresses this concern', he said.

But some parliamentarians were sceptical, saying it benefits companies more than workers.

'Maybe they have misunderstood how the scheme works,' Mr Lee said as he launched into his explanation.

The $4.5 billion scheme gives companies a cash grant of 12 per cent of an employee's monthly wage, for up to $2,500. But this grant is only for the Singaporeans and permanent residents on their payroll.

Mr Lee said that by giving the grant, the Government is in effect paying for part of workers' CPF contributions, on behalf of employers. It works out to an average 9-point cut in the CPF contribution of an employer, who now pays a maximum of 14.5 per cent.

What it means, he said, is that the company pays less of the worker's salary while the worker gets the same amount of money. This reduces costs and makes the Singaporean worker more competitive, he added.

'This way, companies will be able to keep more of their workers instead of retrenching them. Without the Jobs Credit, companies might have to cut CPF or wages to save jobs.'

The other advantage is that the scheme reduces the cost of hiring Singaporeans, making 'it more attractive to hire Singaporeans rather than foreign workers'.

This will be true if and only if there is still demand/orders coming into the company AND the wage difference between local and non-local is less than 12%

However, Mr Lee was quick to add that 'we should not push out foreign workers as that would harm both businesses and Singaporean workers'.

'The Jobs Credit is a good way to encourage companies to hire more Singaporeans. Unions understand this, which is why they support the Jobs Credit,' he said, adding that the scheme is 'a major policy different from anything the Government had done before'.

In Parliament last week, labour MPs and unionists had shared several examples of how companies had deferred layoffs or retrenched fewer workers, or even added more jobs, because of Jobs Credit, he noted. 'I hope all Singaporeans will understand and support it as well,' he said.

At Yio Chu Kang, most residents apparently do, according to the chairman of its citizens' consultative committee.

Said Mr Lim Lee Meng: 'They tell me it is an innovative scheme that will slow down retrenchments.'

Mr Lim, you believe everything that is told to you? I tell you the Moon Goddess lives in the Moon with her rabbit!

In his speech, Mr Lee also urged Singaporeans to 'up-skill and re-skill' under the Skills Programme for Upgrading and Resilience, or Spur, which heavily subsidises the training of workers.

What should bankers and white collar workers be trained to become?? Taxi drivers? In Sinkapore only, PAPPIES and Ministars don't need retraining and don't need to be SPURred to do things.

Last edited:

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
'This way, companies will be able to keep more of their workers instead of retrenching them. Without the Jobs Credit, companies might have to cut CPF or wages to save jobs.'

Since when can companies unilaterally and arbitrarily cut CPF contributions?. Why do your speechwriters continue to mee siam mai hum...? Maybe they only patronise Michelin 3 star restaurants and not HDB food centres.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The unions in Singapore, should have protected SINGAPOREANS jobs, 25 years ago; we wouldn't have to come out with this job credits thing. The people who were highly paid took for granted that, we will enjoy unlimited opportunites & make boundless profits in whatever we do or invest in; as in a GOLDEN PERIOD. Even after the 1997 financial crises, nothing concrete were ever done to protect the ricebowls of Singaporeans; whom have to work & slog to pay not only for their personal upkeep; but to maintain of a very expensive government & its organs of state. Whose duty first is to protect the interest of Singaporeans.

For example, companies would rather hire a female filipino accounts clerk for S$1,800 a month, than rather offer that position to the many out of work Singaporeans.

Even with the job credits, how many will give employment to Singaporeans, with reference to the above?:wink:

Wether in good economic prosperity or worst of times, we must have an EMPLOY SINGAPOREAN first, policy, wether it is written or not.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pay employers to employ people when there are no orders? Hehe they might as well pay the rat to get chased by the cat.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
He had waited for his ah-pa to say something on Saturday during his ah-pa CNY dinner at Tanjong Pagar, before he said his own at the Istana CNY celebration on sunday.

I'm basically tired of this when the PM doesn't show leadership in Parliament and lead the defence of his Finance ministry from the get-go. Instead he lets Tharman tahan the blows, wait till his aging father says, before he finally says something.

That's shabbily leadership and its speaks volumes about his overall leadership style, I feel. And I look how Kevin Rudd took charge of the stimulus package budget in the same week as ours, and how he strongly defended Wayne Swan, the Treasurer when the budget was under attack by the Lib-National opposition coalition. He didn't outsource the defence to DPM Gillard, and leave his Treasurer to the dogs.

That's what I call real, confidence-inspiring leadership, when you defend your peers and the plan your government has created in response to a pressing issue in pressing times.

And now with Australia's Victoria state facing a firestorm, literally, Kevin Rudd is back, trying to use his bully pulpit to take control, calm things down, and to set an atmosphere where people recognise the fire is very serious, but they will get control of it as soon as possible. That I think is good leadership crisis skills and leadership.

At least PM Rudd didn't go AWOL for 11 days during a crisis.

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wether in good economic prosperity or worst of times, we must have an EMPLOY SINGAPOREAN first, policy, wether it is written or not.

NTUC is the only union I know that supports wages cut.

BTW, jobs are given to those who fit in the job scope, not by nationality. Too bad, singkees got to do RT, which take out a lot of their time. Come back the next day tired out. FTs need not.

FTs are willing to slog out their last breath to REMAIN in work. As employer, whom I chose?

As for this credit sheme, it is not part of my consideration whom to fire or hire. 300 dollars(up to 2500 salary) savings compared to no work for workers. I rather fire workers than to keep them.

Try something more concrete, PAP.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
NTUC is the only union I know that supports wages cut.

BTW, jobs are given to those who fit in the job scope, not by nationality. Too bad, singkees got to do RT, which take out a lot of their time. Come back the next day tired out. FTs need not.

FTs are willing to slog out their last breath to REMAIN in work. As employer, whom I chose?

As for this credit sheme, it is not part of my consideration whom to fire or hire. 300 dollars(up to 2500 salary) savings compared to no work for workers. I rather fire workers than to keep them.

Try something more concrete, PAP.

The PAP is never on the ground to understand things from another perspective, to understand reality. This strange disconnection and bad policies would never have happened if they did their homework better.

There's just that sheer laziness I feel that is coming from this government.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PAP is never on the ground to understand things from another perspective, to understand reality. This strange disconnection and bad policies would never have happened if they did their homework better.

Why do they have to be hardworking when they know that they can get elected regardless of their results. All they need is to cajole, threaten and half-bribe Sinkies to vote for them! Simple.

When your rewards are no longer tied to your performance, the rot, the disconnect, the self-serving attitude and the arrogance start to appear.

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM defends Jobs Credit
By Aaron Low

View more photos
WORKERS will benefit from the Jobs Credit scheme in two ways and yesterday, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong highlighted them when he responded to its critics in Parliament.

One, it reduces the cost of a hiring a Singaporean by paying, on behalf of employers, part of the worker's contribution to his Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings, and two, it encourages companies to hire more Singaporeans.

In doing so, he said the scheme also deals specifically with an overriding worry of Singaporeans: whether they can keep their jobs in this downturn.

Mr Lee explained the scheme at length as he sought to reassure Singaporeans on how the ground-breaking policy will help save jobs.

The Prime Minister noted that in last week's Parliament debate on the Budget Statement, most MPs supported the Budget but the points they raised showed that Singaporeans were fearful of losing their jobs.

The Jobs Credit, a key piece of the Budget, 'specifically addresses this concern', he said.

But some parliamentarians were sceptical, saying it benefits companies more than workers.

'Maybe they have misunderstood how the scheme works,' Mr Lee said as he launched into his explanation.

The $4.5 billion scheme gives companies a cash grant of 12 per cent of an employee's monthly wage, for up to $2,500. But this grant is only for the Singaporeans and permanent residents on their payroll.

Mr Lee said that by giving the grant, the Government is in effect paying for part of workers' CPF contributions, on behalf of employers. It works out to an average 9-point cut in the CPF contribution of an employer, who now pays a maximum of 14.5 per cent.

What it means, he said, is that the company pays less of the worker's salary while the worker gets the same amount of money. This reduces costs and makes the Singaporean worker more competitive, he added.

The other advantage is that the scheme reduces the cost of hiring Singaporeans, making 'it more attractive to hire Singaporeans rather than foreign workers'.

This will be true if and only if there is still demand/orders coming into the company AND the wage difference between local and non-local is more than less than 12%

However, Mr Lee was quick to add that 'we should not push out foreign workers as that would harm both businesses and Singaporean workers'.

'The Jobs Credit is a good way to encourage companies to hire more Singaporeans. Unions understand this, which is why they support the Jobs Credit,' he said, adding that the scheme is 'a major policy different from anything the Government had done before'.

In Parliament last week, labour MPs and unionists had shared several examples of how companies had deferred layoffs or retrenched fewer workers, or even added more jobs, because of Jobs Credit, he noted. 'I hope all Singaporeans will understand and support it as well,' he said.

At Yio Chu Kang, most residents apparently do, according to the chairman of its citizens' consultative committee.

Said Mr Lim Lee Meng: 'They tell me it is an innovative scheme that will slow down retrenchments.'

Mr Lim, you believe everything that is told to you? I tell you the Moon Goddess lives in the Moon with her rabbit!

In his speech, Mr Lee also urged Singaporeans to 'up-skill and re-skill' under the Skills Programme for Upgrading and Resilience, or Spur, which heavily subsidises the training of workers.

What should bankers and white collar workers be trained to become?? Taxi drivers? In Sinkapore only, PAPPIES and Ministars don't need retraining and don't need to be SPURred to do things.

PAP now then realises their mistake,you must know you are dealing with 66.67% kampung folks.

If Tharman and his bright sparks started off by telling 66.67%,we woukld subsidise the CPF going into yr monthly account,then no such problem.

Lau Lee must again lecture his silly folks about the art of propaganda,hehe,.They simply cant do w/o him,especially now with open internet,obviously the 33.33% are much smarter than the 66.67%,that would be the silver lining for helpless opposition parties in Singapore

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do they have to be hardworking when they know that they can get elected regardless of their results. All they need is to cajole, threaten and half-bribe Sinkies to vote for them! Simple.

When your rewards are no longer tied to your performance, the rot, the disconnect, the self-serving attitude and the arrogance start to appear.

Kevin Rudd depends on the people for his second term as PM. LHL depends on his father to talk first before he talks the following day.

Enough said.

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is not about laziness, it is about bo chap. you die, your problem.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why PR is in the Job Credit scheme? The white scum are giving out PR like MacDonald Free Voucher and now protect them from the downturn? It's really make no sense to protect them, clear them out and I bet those SG retrenched and new grad can make up the difference.

Remember those PR are not the core, they will leave eventually. Why not do it now?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PM defends Jobs Credit
By Aaron Low

View more photos

Did you guys notice that every time the leader or ministers or SHIT TIMES used the word SINGAPOREAN, they deliberately leave out the word PERMANENT RESIDENT. PR (aka foreigners pretend to be sinkies also benefited from JCS which the ministers are not willing to talk about and they thought JCS is good for Singaporean only. We are all fucked again for such selective reporting.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did you guys notice that every time the leader or ministers or SHIT TIMES used the word SINGAPOREAN, they deliberately leave out the word PERMANENT RESIDENT. PR (aka foreigners pretend to be sinkies also benefited from JCS which the ministers are not willing to talk about and they thought JCS is good for Singaporean only. We are all fucked again for such selective reporting.

Aiyah, it doesn't matter lah. PAP say good must be good right? I mean, when have they been wrong?!?!

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's wait for the outcome of this scheme and see if it's successful before we start to flame them. :biggrin:

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's wait for the outcome of this scheme and see if it's successful before we start to flame them. :biggrin:

I'll hold my peace if the government releases the following information:

1) No. of Foreign Talents vs Singaporean workers
2) No. of Foreign Talents vs Permanent Resident workers
3) The wage differential for FT, Sinkies and PRs in similar jobs
4) Clear and unambiguous Key Performance Indicators of the Jobs Credit Scheme (And no, saying the Jobs Credit Scheme will help "slow down" retrenchment is not good enough a measurement of its success).
5) State which are the biggest beneficiary companies of the Jobs Credit Scheme

silverspoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks bro

i was about to mention this as well

this job credit is given to all that CONTRIBUTED TO cpf

PR also got cpf so they also benefited.

This scheme should really be FOR SINGAPOREAN ONLY....all kelongs please go back to your countries