• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP's Cheque Bounced for YOG

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the reasons that Govt and cities bid for such games is that it drives the building of a new infrastructure and in many cases are necessary. Without such games, no one will do anything because the cost/benefit is pretty much horrendous.

When such facilities are built, citizens (also other residents ahmm. ) can start developing the soft assets of out country which softens the daily grind of living in a rat race.

Viv is fast becoming a flop. He honestly thinks that saying "no" to everything is high point of leadership. He should be like GY, who forced the cabinet to build the "Durian". The first non commercial development since the ZOO.

Don't blame Vivian.

I have always maintained that the Ministars have their eyes BLINDED by their "PORLUMPARS" who have their own poitical agendas.

Blame Sir Fuck and u cannot be too far from any truth.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it $1B building costs and $100 Million maintenance costs? I don't think those are the figures.

Dear Scroobal,

I would rather spend according to our priorities, like taking care of our own people first, especially the old who have contributed to our Nation building, before taking that plunge into a $100m maintenance cost white elephant. With that $100m a year budget, you could do wonders to provide the necessary basic social safety net for our old and aged.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Is it $1B building costs and $100 Million maintenance costs? I don't think those are the figures.

Yes, it is. $1B cost and $100million maintenance cost per year. I have made hell lot of noise on this one but let it pass during GE 2006. Else I would have attacked BG Yeo over this one back then.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it $1B building costs and $100 Million maintenance costs?

ps. just checked. $600M building costs. Income 08/09 - $24M, Expenditure - $68M, defecit - $38M ( covered by govt grant. )

Dear Scroobal,

I would rather spend according to our priorities, like taking care of our own people first, especially the old who have contributed to our Nation building, before taking that plunge into a $100m maintenance cost white elephant. With that $100m a year budget, you could do wonders to provide the necessary basic social safety net for our old and aged.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Is it $1B building costs and $100 Million maintenance costs?

ps. just checked. $600M building costs. Income 08/09 - $24M, Expenditure - $68M, defecit - $38M ( covered by govt grant. )

Thanks for the corrections. Good that it is lower at $68M. My impression of $100m maintenance cost comes from the parliamentary debate back then which was talking about the Durian. My correction, the cost of construction is $600million, not $1B but if you include the land cost, it will be about $1billion. The cost of maintenance was put at $100m if I remember correctly.

But it is a bit strange here. While the construction cost is only $600million, why would the maintenance cost be more than 10% per year?

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I too am wondering. $25M is already high.

Thanks for the corrections. Good that it is lower at $68M. My impression of $100m maintenance cost comes from the parliamentary debate back then which was talking about the Durian. My correction, the cost of construction is $600million, not $1B but the cost of maintenance was put at $100m if I remember correctly.

But it is a bit strange here. While the construction cost is only $600million, why would the maintenance cost be more than 10% per year?

Goh Meng Seng

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the corrections. Good that it is lower at $68M. My impression of $100m maintenance cost comes from the parliamentary debate back then which was talking about the Durian. My correction, the cost of construction is $600million, not $1B but if you include the land cost, it will be about $1billion. The cost of maintenance was put at $100m if I remember correctly.

Goh Meng Seng

You are HOPELESS! Always making mistakes.

Better give up politics lah. see no future in politics for you.:mad:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

You are HOPELESS! Always making mistakes.

Better give up politics lah. see no future in politics for you.:mad:

Depends on how you look at it. If you want to deflate the price tag, just quote the construction cost of $600m, exclude the land cost. If you want to see the whole picture, it should be construction cost plus land cost.

Just like HDB keeps saying that they are subsidizing your HDB because the land cost is high. But the truth is, when they acquire the land through the Land Acquisition Act, they paid peanuts for that.

Goh Meng Seng

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
Goh,
too be fair, I dont think the sportshub was ever in the equation for the actual hosting of thbe YOG. Firstly, the initial projected completion date was slated to be in 2011 which is after the YOG in 2010. Furthermore, the scale of YOG do not require a stadium of large capacity as that of the sportshub. The various venue has also been decided. Pls provide the link or report if it was said that Sportshub was promised to be use for the YOG. I doubt there is any.

I am going to write about this later in my blog.

According to news report in April this year, the Sportshub will not be ready by 2010's Youth Olympic.

As we recall, the SportsHUB plan is the major attraction that PAP government presented to the world in bidding for hosting the Youth Olympic 2010. But now, Vivian Balakrishnan has claimed that we do not need the new stadium for hosting the Youth Olympics! This is a lousy excuse for failing in building the SportsHUB in time to host it!

Doesn't PAP government has any pride to start with? We will become a laughing stock of the world! For a self-proclaimed first world government with TOP paid ministers, we couldn't even fulfill our promise to the world in building such basic infrastructure to host the Youth Olympics?

No gold medals for winners in Youth Olympics is already bad enough but going back on its promise of building the necessary infrastructure to host the game will be a major blow to Singapore's international standing!

What PAP is losing is not its pride (if it ever has any) but our National Pride. It is bringing shame to Singapore! Hosting the Youth Olympics is supposedly to bring pride to us but now it seems that due to mismanagement of PAP over paid ministers, we will end up with great shame as a Nation!

Goh Meng Seng

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Goh,
too be fair, I dont think the sportshub was ever in the equation for the actual hosting of thbe YOG. Firstly, the initial projected completion date was slated to be in 2011 which is after the YOG in 2010. Furthermore, the scale of YOG do not require a stadium of large capacity as that of the sportshub. The various venue has also been decided. Pls provide the link or report if it was said that Sportshub was promised to be use for the YOG. I doubt there is any.

To be fair to Goh Meng Seng, this is my understanding. He's talking about the SportsHub, not just the Toilet Bowl stadium. The new stadium is just part of the hub. It's supposed to ready by 2011 and in time to host SEA Games 2013. Many other facilities planned for the hub are part of the YOG bid presentation and supposed to be ready by 2010. Hence, we hear Vivian B. saying that YOG will go ahead despite the Sportshub project stoppage. Anyway, SportsHub or Toilet Bowl, nothing is going on.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way the pic of the toilet bowl stadium is NOT the selected design.

Interestingly you mentioned the durians. It was never the PAP's intention to liberalise arts. The place is meant to serve as a 'retail space' for international acts coming to this region. So it'll be just like our shopping malls. Lots of international brands, almost no indigenous brands.

The only reason for PAP promoting arts in sinkeepore is because they think it will attract foreign talent and quality immigrants. Yes, they are that daft. They looked at New York etc, and thought 'arts is important for any cosmopolitan city'. So they try to inject arts here.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Well, I guess we are great at shifting goal pole. Olympic Village at NUS supposedly to be built even before the announcement of the bidding result but cannot make it, now shifted to NTU.

They already knew Sportshub isn't likely going to make it by 2010 but yet they wanted to bid for YOG.

Let's see how contingency planning turn out to be last minute.

Goh Meng Seng

To be fair to Goh Meng Seng, this is my understanding. He's talking about the SportsHub, not just the Toilet Bowl stadium. The new stadium is just part of the hub. It's supposed to ready by 2011 and in time to host SEA Games 2013. Many other facilities planned for the hub are part of the YOG bid presentation and supposed to be ready by 2010. Hence, we hear Vivian B. saying that YOG will go ahead despite the Sportshub project stoppage. Anyway, SportsHub or Toilet Bowl, nothing is going on.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Bro, that explains it.
By the way the pic of the toilet bowl stadium is NOT the selected design.

Interestingly you mentioned the durians. It was never the PAP's intention to liberalise arts. The place is meant to serve as a 'retail space' for international acts coming to this region. So it'll be just like our shopping malls. Lots of international brands, almost no indigenous brands.

The only reason for PAP promoting arts in sinkeepore is because they think it will attract foreign talent and quality immigrants. Yes, they are that daft. They looked at New York etc, and thought 'arts is important for any cosmopolitan city'. So they try to inject arts here.

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
Goh,
You didnt address my points. Where did you get the report that Vivian stated that sportshub would be involve for YOG

Well, I guess we are great at shifting goal pole. Olympic Village at NUS supposedly to be built even before the announcement of the bidding result but cannot make it, now shifted to NTU.

They already knew Sportshub isn't likely going to make it by 2010 but yet they wanted to bid for YOG.

Let's see how contingency planning turn out to be last minute.

Goh Meng Seng

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes the entire sportshub not just the stadium I understand that..but the stadium is the main facility of the sportshub hence I listed it specifically. In any case, I dont remember any reports linking the YOG to the Sportshub either using the sports facilities like the stadium or the other amenities. Sportshub and YOG are two separate issues. Sportshub was never a factor for YOG unless any of u can produce the report quoting Vivian in stating that Sportshub would be use for YOG. In the propose list of facilities including venue for official opening and closing ceremony, no mention of Sportshub and like I said the initial completion estimate for the Sportshub was end 2011 already after the YOG... Hence I am puzzled why Goh brought Sportshub into the YOG issue...Yes I agree that the delay for the completion of the Sportshub is not an ideal situation but I dont think its an issue to do with YOG...Sportshub was mentioned in the same breath as YOG to illustrate the development of the Sports Industry in SG...Thats the only connection...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the IOC bid report, "Singapore proposes one compact venue plan which including one large cluster of 13 sports." Go figure where's the "cluster" they're referring to.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is alright if we set our standard lower, not going to make comparison to China's Olympics 2008 but recently, Taiwan has successfully organized two international sports events which brought much pride to Taiwanese. I really hope that we don't fare poorly in comparison with Taiwan.

While Taiwan received praises from organizing these games, it seems that nothing positive has been heard from Singapore's AYG. Something wrong with our world class paid minister here?

Well, as usual, there aren't any system of accountability to speak of.

Goh Meng Seng

taiwan did badly in disaster recovery efforts....

almost more than 500 people died because of slow response.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

after we are finished with the Durians at esplanade, we go to Toilet bowl at Kallang to pung sai? :biggrin:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Goh,
You didnt address my points. Where did you get the report that Vivian stated that sportshub would be involve for YOG

A very good question indeed. Sportshub wasn't mentioned in the bidding basically because they were not confident of rushing the project through to complete it before 2010 (scheduled 2011).

However, in its bidding document, it pointed out that it will build 4 additional sports facilities along with one Equestrian venue, due April 2009 (have to check whether this is completed or not). Now, where on earth in Singapore are we going to build these 4 additional sports facilities? :wink: My last check on Singapore's Olympic website, all the venues are old venues, none are new. Guess what?

And Ramseth is right, where in Singapore do you have a place with all 13 sports facilities all in?

One of the selling point of the bidding is that contestants could travel to any venues within 30 minutes. This may be possible if the Olympic Village is situated at NUS but now it has shifted to NTU! Try travelling from NTU to East Coast Park (one of the Venue) within 30 minutes....?

Our bidding document claims that we have spent over US $400 millions in building NUS Olympic Village. But now, it is not going to deliver.

http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_1274.pdf

Goh Meng Seng

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
after we are finished with the Durians at esplanade, we go to Toilet bowl at Kallang to pung sai? :biggrin:

LOL! When they start collecting toilet charges the stadium then you know. :wink:

50,000 spectators each pee once at 20c per pee = $10k. Huat ah!