• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP kindergartens charge parents for being late

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
The school can fined the parents for being late but they should also pay the teachers OT allowance! Not pocket the $$$...

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Normally the fine collected would be given to the teacher who has to stay back.

Some parents can be one hour late when you do not impose such penalty.

The school can fined the parents for being late but they should also pay the teachers OT allowance! Not pocket the $$$...

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah. Can you imagine being at work every day waiting for your customers to come even after you are supposed to knock off for the day? Given that there are tens of children in any one centre, everyday a different child will have parents coming late.

SDP nothing better to do than to nitpick with this rubbish. There are many important issues to discuss.

LonewolfAlfa

Alfrescian
Loyal
u can beg the cheapskate sinkie parents everyday to come pick their child up on time but end up waiting half an hour to an hour everyday for them because they bochap.

but now with the 2 dollar fine, suddenly they are on time but kowpeh kowbu about pap kindergarten not being low cost.

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah. Can you imagine being at work every day waiting for your customers to come even after you are supposed to knock off for the day? Given that there are tens of children in any one centre, everyday a different child will have parents coming late.

SDP nothing better to do than to nitpick with this rubbish. There are many important issues to discuss.

I have to agree with you. Parents are at fault here for abusing the kindergarten as day-care centres (when they deliberately pick their child up late).

Like I said, no smoke without fire. This definitely ain't a one/two time kind of thing for them to implement this kind of policy.

Can't fault the kindergarten principle nor the teachers.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/news/news/550864/Five_minutes_late_Pay_2.html

PCF kindergarten to fine late parents

Edvantage | Tue Feb 8 2011
The PAP Community Foundation kindergarten in Bedok is the only branch so far to do so.

Five_minutes_late_Pay_2-topImage.jpg

Five minutes late? Pay $2.

This is a charge one PCF (PAP Community Foundation) kindergarten has implemented on parents, as a 'penalty' for those who are late in picking up their kids.

The kindergarten at Block 30, New Upper Changi Road, will fine parents $2 for every five minutes that they are late. According to media reports, it is the only branch that has implemented this charge.

Childcare centres are known to have such rules, but is uncommon for kindergartens to have this policy.

In a letter to parents on Jan 20, the principal of the kindergarten, Ms Zarinah Ismail, said that parents' tardiness have affected teachers' lunch breaks as well as those who attend courses in the evenings.

A senior kindergarten staff said that despite the warnings, no fines have been collected so far.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1109317/1/.html

PCF kindergarten in Bedok fines late parents
By Qiuyi Tan | Posted: 07 February 2011 2202 hrs

phpRDwkWn.jpg

SINGAPORE : A PAP Community Foundation (PCF) kindergarten in Bedok has threatened to fine parents who pick up their kids late from class.

The fine is S$2 for every five minutes that they are late.

While childcare centres are known to have such policies, this practice is uncommon in a kindergarten.

The PCF kindergarten in Block 30, Upper Changi Road said it decided to do something when it faced repeated situations when parents picked up their kids late from school.

It said this affected lunch and dinner breaks of teachers and also affected those on evening course.

In a circular to parents last month, the principal of the kindergarten said it will charge S$2 for every five minutes that they are late.

The PAP Community Foundation told MediaCorp that it knew of the situation but leaves operational matters to the kindergartens themselves to decide.

It added that this late charge is specific to the Bedok branch, and is not a PCF-wide policy.

Not all parents are against the penalty.

One parent said: "This works out to forty cents a minute."

Another added: "I have seen that some parents like to take advantage of the situation, seeing that the principals and teachers stay behind...to say take care of the children for a while.

"For me, it is fair enough, because that is what makes it really work. If they put it at S$1, I do not think it will (work), because it is not much. Every five-minute extension of S$2, I think is very good."

The kindergarten first imposed the penalty last May - but for a smaller amount, and only when parents are late for more than 15 minutes.

It added it has about 10 cases where the parents are late by about two to three hours at times.

One parent said: "For those who have savings, S$2 is no problem for them. If (you are) like me, with no savings, S$2 is (a) problem also."

A senior kindergarten staff said that despite the warnings, no fines have been collected so far.

However, one parent commented: "Putting a fine on late parents is not the solution. They should get parent volunteers after school hours to say, stay back for an hour? Because...money is not a problem, so a fine is not a solution."

Meanwhile, another parent noted: "A fine should be a last resort for any kindergarten to come up with."

My First Skool, which provides infant care to kindergarten, said it also imposes a penalty on parents who are late. But it said it only imposes a penalty after the fourth time.

- CNA/ms

LonewolfAlfa

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a letter to parents on Jan 20, the principal of the kindergarten, Ms Zarinah Ismail, said that parents' tardiness have affected teachers' lunch breaks as well as those who attend courses in the evenings.

damn these bloody pap teachers. how dare they take their meals or go for courses.

they bloody well better stay back to look after the sinkies' prince and princesses! :oIo:

everyday!

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4574-cna-picks-up-pcf-story-but-censors-sdp

CNA picks up PCF story but censors SDP
Tuesday, 08 February 2011
Singapore Democrats

pcf.jpg

The Singapore Democrats reported last week on this website that the PAP-run kindergartens levied a penalty of $2 for every 5 nimutes that parents are late in picking up their children.

Today, Channel News Asia (CNA) reported on this matter PCF kindergarten in Bedok fines late parents but refused to mention that the SDP was the first brought the matter to the public's attention.

More than just professional courtesy, it is important that the public understands the role that the opposition plays one of which is to lookout for the public. Many Singaporeans do not understand what role the opposition plays in Singapore and it is with this kind of censorship and news blackout that they continue to be kept in the dark.

The SDP is discharging its responsibility of keeping watch on what the PAP does and bringing its negative policies and practices to the attention of the public. If Singaporeans see the constructive role that the SDP is playing they would increasingly turn to the opposition for alternative views.

By censoring news about us, however, the state media ensures that the Singapore Democrats continue to be marginalised and remains irrelevant in the eyes of the electorate.

Is this the reason why CNA so blatantly omitted citing the SDP and our report?

More questions raised

The CNA report raises more questions than it answers. It reported that the PAP Community Foundation (PCF) which runs the kindergartens said that the penalty-charge is specific to the Bedok branch. Did CNA independently verify this with other PCF branches? It seems unusual that out of the 257 kindergartens, the branch in Bedok is the only one to impose such a fine.

If it is indeed the only branch to do so, how do the other branches cope with the problem? It surely cannot be that Bedok parents are the only ones who are late. Why can't the Bedok branch learn from its sister schools? Or are the other branches going to learn from Bedok?

More importantly, the PCF cannot ignore the fact that its kindergartens make policies that unfairly penalise parents, especially those in the lower-income groups. As the CNA reported:

One parent said: "For those who have savings, S$2 is no problem for them. If (you are) like me, with no savings, S$2 is (a) problem also."

This is emblematic of the PAP mentality. It resorts to punitive measures, often financial in nature, to solve problems rather than explore creative ways to overcome them. This places yet more burden of the poorer segment of society.

The Singapore Democrats also reported that children were not allowed into class if the parents did not pay the fees on time. This is a serious matter as it victimises the child. Is the PCF also adopting such a hands-off approach to this policy?

At the end of the day, the PCF has a near-monopoly on providing pre-schooling in HDB estates. It claims to cater for the those who cannot afford the more expensive private kindergartens. As such it must be monitored so that it doesn't turn into a school bully penalising low-income families who are most vulnerable.

Read also: Ssshhh! Don't say "SDP"

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why put kids into kindergarden in the first place? Formal schooling starts with Primary.

I didn't attend kindergarten too. My parents hired home tutor (then known as governess) to teach me reading and writing ABCs and counting 123s before sending me to primary school. Not much of any problem through primary and seondary schools except for Chinese. Though my parents were half-Chinese, they could hardly speak any Chinese. Barely scraping through (thanks to MCQs) or failing Chinese exams was routine for me in my schooldays. Chinese composition papers were big nightmares for me, the biggest of which came true when I failed Chinese at O-level. :eek:

By now, I've returned most of whatever Chinese to the teachers. :(

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whoever wrote that stupid letter should be whacked with a $200 fine per grammatical mistake!!! :oIo:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I didn't attend kindergarten too. My parents hired home tutor (then known as governess) to teach me reading and writing ABCs and counting 123s before sending me to primary school. Not much of any problem through primary and seondary schools except for Chinese. Though my parents were half-Chinese, they could hardly speak any Chinese. Barely scraping through (thanks to MCQs) or failing Chinese exams was routine for me in my schooldays. Chinese composition papers were big nightmares for me, the biggest of which came true when I failed Chinese at O-level. :eek:

By now, I've returned most of whatever Chinese to the teachers. :(

You poor fella. You should relearn some Chinese. Try getting GMS for your tutor. :biggrin: :eek:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP kindergardens : You late is your business. You die is your business.

i don't blame the school, you expect to work OT for free?

I have to agree with Vamjok. You late the teacher's business is it? The teacher is also running late. If you're sick or dead, then perhaps free extra care on compassionate grounds. Show medical or death certificate. Singaporeans shouldn't be pampered into taking others' time for granted and taking advantage. In fact, I feel the fines are too light. The teachers have to be compensated at OT rates if they have to stay back due parents coming late, and billed to the parents of course. And not just Bedok but applies to all PAPCF and even private kindergartens.

NoelVermillion

Alfrescian
Loyal
Teachers have their loved ones too and they need the time after work to catch up. Why should they wait for free just to suit somebody's schedule?

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
the teachers are not baby sitters, if they are no happy with the fine they can always pull their children out of the kindergarden

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
More than just professional courtesy, it is important that the public understands the role that the opposition plays one of which is to lookout for the public. Many Singaporeans do not understand what role the opposition plays in Singapore and it is with this kind of censorship and news blackout that they continue to be kept in the dark.

The SDP is discharging its responsibility of keeping watch on what the PAP does and bringing its negative policies and practices to the attention of the public. If Singaporeans see the constructive role that the SDP is playing they would increasingly turn to the opposition for alternative views.

By censoring news about us, however, the state media ensures that the Singapore Democrats continue to be marginalised and remains irrelevant in the eyes of the electorate.

Is this the reason why CNA so blatantly omitted citing the SDP and our report?
[/URL]

Now SDP want to claim some credit? Did ChannelNewsAsia run a story on how SDP is publicly seeking donations to help Chee Soon Juan pay his $20K fine?

:rolleyes:

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1109495/1/.html

PCF to explore collective response to late parents
By Qiuyi Tan | Posted: 08 February 2011 2143 hrs

php5Z6H2X.jpg

SINGAPORE : The PAP Community Foundation (PCF) has said it is looking for a common response for all its kindergartens to follow to counter the problem of parents who pick up their children late.

This came following reports that a PCF kindergarten in Bedok has a penalty scheme for parents who are late, charging them two dollars for every five minutes they are late.

As it turns out, that may not be the only PCF kindergarten to issue a penalty.

PCF said it is studying the situation across its 247 kindergartens for an organisation-wide response for parents who are repeatedly more than an hour late in picking up their children.

The most common explanation from these parents are that they have "overlooked the time", said PCF.

It added that hour-long delays are not as common as situations where parents are perennially late by five to ten minutes. These too inconvenience the teachers.

Since the first report, comments on the issue have been flowing in from the public on the Facebook pages of Singapore Tonight and Channel NewsAsia Connect.

Some like Julian Tan felt it was not a sufficient deterrent.

Mr Tan said: "Peeved parents will pick (up) their kids much later and just pay S$14 - and treat it like cheap childcare."

Another viewer, Faruk Ali, said another PCF kindergarten at Block 581 at Admiralty Road also charges parents who are late - at an even higher rate of ten dollars for every ten minutes, or a dollar a minute. However, PCF could not confirm this.

Having a system of charges for late pick-up is not uncommon.

St James Church kindergarten on Harding Road said it too has such a system in place.

Jacqueline Chung, principal of St James Church Kindergarten, said: "Children do get distressed when they see their friends going off and their parents are not there."

But like other private kindergartens Channel NewsAsia spoke to, the kindergarten said what is more effective is to talk to the parents to find out why they repeatedly pick up their children late.

Mrs Chung said: "If you agree to pay for a 3 to 4-hour programme, you need to pick your child up at the stipulated time... If (there are) problems, you need to solve them or speak to the school..."

The kindergarten added that it has a bus service to fetch and send more than half of its 1,000 children home every day.

- CNA/al