• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

OuR ChiLdReN WilL NEVER KnoW tHe LinK BeTwEeN tHe TwO .

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think it is sad that kids' happiness nowadays is being measured by possessions rather than during my days. There was so much to do outside home and we are normally either at school or out of the house only to return home for dinner, so some homework and then bedtime. There was no tv just redifusion or radio and books. The rest is using our imagination to make up games. One that I played with my siblings was taking a long word and we challenge each other to make up words with 3 letters or more with meanings. That in a way was improving our command of the English Language.

Machiam 'Scrabble'? I read English and Chinese comics during my childhood, unfortunately, both England and China also cannot make it. Now, it's even worst cos' I seldom have chance to use, only use it occasionally when logon to sammyboy. :p

jw5

Loyal
I think it is sad that kids' happiness nowadays is being measured by possessions rather than during my days. There was so much to do outside home and we are normally either at school or out of the house only to return home for dinner, do some homework and then bedtime. There was no tv just redifusion or radio and books. The rest is using our imagination to make up games. One that I played with my siblings was taking a long word and we challenge each other to make up words with 3 letters or more with meanings. That in a way was improving our command of the English Language.

Totally agree. Rich spoilt kids have existed since the beginning of time. But only recently have the poor spoilt kids emerged.
Some of the gadgets they have, the clothes they wear, even the meals they have, I don't even have these now regularly, let alone when I was a kid.
These days if u give a few kids a long word and ask them to make as many words as they can, they will think u are joking.
And they probably will not be able to make more than five, since the assessment books and tutors and xbox/playstation games don't teach them how.

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Machiam 'Scrabble'? I read English and Chinese comics during my childhood, unfortunately, both England and China also cannot make it. Now, it's even worst cos' I seldom have chance to use, only use it occasionally when logon to sammyboy. :p

More like the "Boggles" game. The old games like Chapteh, Police and Thief, Hantam Bola and Kicking Stones sadly now I don't see them being played. Nowadays, I don't see girls playing in the playground, just boys playing soccer.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
More like the "Boggles" game. The old games like Chapteh, Police and Thief, Hantam Bola and Kicking Stones sadly now I don't see them being played. Nowadays, I don't see girls playing in the playground, just boys playing soccer.
The girls all play 5 stone at home.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Confirm you older than me....cannot recall a temasek beer garden....was it Atlantis by Dennis Wee?
Remember the hawker centre there rasa sayang...

Marco Polo had a very exclusive nightclub....around the area behind tanglin police station was another hotel Sheraton with a nightspot Peyton Place....and later came Ridley's

Further up there was Tudor Court next to it was a small building that housed Stuugart Motors selling Porsches....above the showroom there was a pub that was opened by a friend of mine.

Tania owns anywhere in tanglin shopping....think closed down...now there are 2 thai discos in the building.

I think Atlantis was at Parkway Parade.

Don't remember Stuggart Motors in that vicinity.

Another nightspot will open in Tanglin Shopping Centre pretty soon. Taking over a restaurant.

Soursoup drink at that hawker centre was great. Can't recall where they shifted to but remember drinking from same stall elsewhere.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whitley prawn noodles is still around....the BBQ chicken wings there were famous as well. The place had to go due to health regulations....Adam road HC also started in similar fashion if not wrong...

Opposite old Police Academy. I think there is one stall at Lavender Food Court.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, and always stopped by there to have teh tarik and arrange and make bets for Orchard Road night street racing. Soup-up Alfa's, Datsun SSS and Mini Cooper S snd rare BMW's were the fast cars of that period.

Teh tarik by Malay chap named Daud? Malay kueh kueh bestest.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
If u look at the spoilt brats around these days, they don't give a damn about the past.
Only interested in the latest gadgets and getting what they want.

not to worry, when they grow old they will also be like us today

imagine 50 years from now some one will look at some old picture and moan _ " iPad6! oh Gawd, I miss those good old days " :(

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I missed those firecrackers especially those I blew up the fire ants' nest. Also those rockets to frighten the girls at public parks. CNY was a great time for us in the old days. Nowadays it is better to take a holiday tour than to spend CNY in Singapore.

Used to bomb the ants nets with the firecrackers, and watch the ants stagger out..ha ha ha

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Used to bomb the ants nets with the firecrackers, and watch the ants stagger out..ha ha ha

I have a special hatred for the large fire ants (kerenga) when I was bitten badly climbing a wild guava tree. I was setting up a bird trap up high to catch the red-eared bulbul. So it gave me a lot of pleasure blasting them when I had a chance.:biggrin:

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Teh tarik by Malay chap named Daud? Malay kueh kueh bestest.

Bro you have good memory. It is hard to recall the past and Daud could be the one somewhere in the centre of the car park. I do recall the 4-legged stools we used to sit and I remembered there was a big fight and saw someone took that stool and whack it over the head of his opponent. I heard a sickening thwack sound and left with my friends immediately before the police came.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... These days if u give a few kids a long word and ask them to make as many words as they can, they will think u are joking.
And they probably will not be able to make more than five, since the assessment books and tutors and xbox/playstation games don't teach them how.
on ze contrary ...

dey can make mor words dan u can ever tink of ...

dey got google ... :rolleyes:

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think Atlantis was at Parkway Parade. Don't remember Stuggart Motors in that vicinity.Another nightspot will open in Tanglin Shopping Centre pretty soon. Taking over a restaurant.Soursoup drink at that hawker centre was great. Can't recall where they shifted to but remember drinking from same stall elsewhere.
nabei, old-timers....memory fading izzit?It is Rasa Singapura at Tanglin STPB Tudor Court, Rasa Sayang is the song lah ! LOL !Yes, Tanglin one is ATLANTIS... The Parkway Parade one is Strawberry Park or something...Cheers to nostalgia !

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
we started back after school to play scrabble in the tuckshop....everyone took it seriously because we gambled and played for money. The teachers were none the wiser and were actually impressed with us.

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
nabei, old-timers....memory fading izzit?It is Rasa Singapura at Tanglin STPB Tudor Court, Rasa Sayang is the song lah ! LOL !Yes, Tanglin one is ATLANTIS... The Parkway Parade one is Strawberry Park or something...Cheers to nostalgia !

All good memories and best to pen it down less we forget. Cheers.:biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kekeke no wonder your nick is elephanto.....good memory.

Parkway one was Peppermint Park?

Sentosa too had a hawker center named Rasa Sentosa....

Last edited:

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any brother ever tried making catapults? We used to search for the tembusu tree and tie the Y-shaped branch forks that we had chosen that will make good catapults. After a few months we will cut the the branched and worked on them, cutting off the bark and polishing the raw catapult. Then we put it over the fire until the shape is just nice and firmly in place. We will use the bicycle tubes cut to lengths tied to a a small piece of leather which holds the bullets(small granite stones or marbles).

With that we shoot at birds and bats which we cooked and ate. It was fun doing that for a time until the novelty wears off. Off course we also practiced shooting at empty cans or bottles.