• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NSF dies while doing chin-up!

silverspoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_284387.html?vgnmr=1

A FULL-TIME National Serviceman collapsed and died in Lim Chu Kang Camp on Tuesday morning while doing chin-ups.
Private (PTE) Foo Wei Rong Joe, 18, from 4th Battalion, Singapore Infantry Regiment, was given immediate medical attention and evacuated to Tengah Medical Centre by 6.40am, where the doctors tried to resuscitate him, said a statement from the Ministry of Defence on Tuesday.

He was sent to National University Hospital at 7.15 am.

'The SAF doctor and medic continued to resuscitate him en route to the hospital, and he arrived at 7.45am. PTE Foo was pronounced dead at 8.28am,' said Mindef.

The chin-ups, as well as some push-ups which he had completed earlier, were part of the unit's daily basic exercise routine.

Mindef is investigating the incident.

they should remove chin up as a form of exercise.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
they should remove chin up as a form of exercise.

While its understandable, from your part, I believe the rest of the world have not, and will not remove it. Chin ups are part of the exercise regime and should remain.

But caution must be taken for those who aren't physically fit or have had past injuries before. That's why medical screening by people- and the overall oversight and responsibilities by the MOs and the regulars at CMPB- should be toughen so that people of the above are taken note and treated with care, and not be overworked.

Otherwise, when such people, who say, have an underlying heart condition, but was not screened carefully, were forced to run 10 km by their PC or PS, and then die of a cardiac arrest, then the fault should be on those who neglected to set stringent standards in order to screen enlistees properly when they reported for the checkup at CMPB.

Singapaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
MINDEF's investigation would probably blame NOBODY (else if needed, blame the chin-up bar).....case closed, let's close rank and move on.

Singapaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
In future...ALL white horses will be excused from doing chin-ups...instead they'll focus on doing pumping (cushioned by female safety officers of course) :biggrin:

cockie

Alfrescian
Loyal
That only show 1 thing, the SAF M.O is not doing their job. A person who are at the age of 18 will not die doing chin up. If the M.O have done their due diligent to check every of our NS men than this may not happen. Again, the SAF intructors is also responsible, cos when we report sick or voice up about unwell, they will think that we are trying to "KENG".

csi88

Alfrescian
Loyal
When the times come,if you have to go,you have to go........
BUT!!!!!!!!!!! The question is:
HOW COME WHEN HE IS GIVEN 3 DAYS MC HE STILL HAD TO DO THE EXCERCISE SO EARLY WHEN HE IS SUPPOSE TO BE RESTING.?????????

hemunkeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Malaysians must be laughing at us.
This incident make us look like wimps
do chin-up also can can die
how to fight a war. All this third generation
3G weaponry is useless if everyone starts dropping like flies.

ksterk

Alfrescian
Loyal
damn... going reservist in 13days time...... maybe should tell my reservist OC that, we all should just stay out of camp 2 be alive:biggrin:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
MINDEF's investigation would probably blame NOBODY (else if needed, blame the chin-up bar).....case closed, let's close rank and move on.

U r wrong... Now it's the NS man fault...:rolleyes:

Full-time NSman who died had not submitted medical certificate
By Valarie Tan, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 02 October 2008 1702 hrs

SINGAPORE: Investigations into the death of full-time National Serviceman Joe Foo Wei Rong found that he had medical leave on the day he died but he did not inform officials about it.

The Defence Ministry said in a statement released on Wednesday that a medical certificate dated September 28, 2008 was found in Private Foo's personal bunk cupboard after his death. The medical centre had no documentation of his medical certificate.

Soldiers are required to submit certifications of their medical conditions at the centre.

Private Foo had seen a doctor at the Singapore General Hospital on Sunday. He was supposed to rest from September 28 to 29 for "sprains and strains of the knee and leg", and to be given light duties for the subsequent four days.

The former Singapore Polytechnic student died on Tuesday while doing chin-ups at Lim Chu Kang camp.

It is the first time a full-time serviceman died while doing routine army exercise.

- CNA/yt

ksterk

Alfrescian
Loyal
so, now is thay boy's fault lor, no one should be blame other than himself, die liao, wat ever they wan 2 say , is up to them. Case close, let move on

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
so, now is thay boy's fault lor, no one should be blame other than himself, die liao, wat ever they wan 2 say , is up to them. Case close, let move on

It will b NS man fault if there r mo 24/7 in camp 2 attend 2 emergency. Problem is... there isn't... and since when AssAF hab Doctor? At least not during my time. Once i m down with a bad flu, c mo, tat bastard nv even take my temp nor touch me str away gib M&D. U call tat a Doctor?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ksterk

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will b NS man fault if there r mo 24/7 in camp 2 attend 2 emergency. Problem is... there isn't... and since when AssAF hab Doctor? At least not during my time. Once i m down with a bad flu, c mo, tat bastard nv even take my temp nor touch me str away gib M&D. U call tat a Doctor?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

y NS man fault? is NSF la..........
case close le la

Powerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
An FT trash will come over to the dot, make his money and when the time comes for his sons to serve NS, he'll send them abroad. A Singaporean has to be a slave in Sinkeeland and sacrifice his son to this joke called NS which is clearly around to protect the Leegime and the Fucking FTs. That's the unfortunate fate of Sinkees.

Powerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
J

What we can all foresee; many arses will be fried big time for such a thing to happen during the inquiry. Its going to get interesting.:cool:

Oh tell me about it will ya? The most likely thing that will happen is, they will close the case claiming it as a natural death and saying, What to do? Its happened. Let's move on.

ksterk

Alfrescian
Loyal
An FT trash will come over to the dot, make his money and when the time comes for his sons to serve NS, he'll send them abroad. A Singaporean has to be a slave in Sinkeeland and sacrifice his son to this joke called NS which is clearly around to protect the Leegime and the Fucking FTs. That's the unfortunate fate of Sinkees.

i have 2 say this.
NS is gd, n SGP can't work without our own army to protact us from the folks up north n down south.
BUT wat woould be gd is to replan everything. for all of those older folks like us, we know SAF also make us do useless training n most of the time we have no idea wat we r doing nor how much we really worth.
Firstly, NSF are overly under paid. with tt small amount of money we get every mth, it is really waste of time, which make NSF feel they r just some cheap slave.
Than come to the job of "safety Officer" during my time, our S.O will ask if we have at least 8 hrs of rest.
2200hrs lights off. 0100hrs turn out. 5am wake up. do we have 8hrs of sleep? even if we dun count in the numbers of turn out. is only a 6-7hrs of sleep, if not lesser. BUT do we voice our to our S.O tt we didn't have enough 8hrs of sleep? lolx, u sound out see what happen lor. see who will get screw at the end of the deal.
What saf should really do is to re plan out wat is the meaning of NS in the year 2008+ is it the same as 1965? lolx