• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MP echoes calls for PSLE to be scrapped

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then how to allocate sec sch?

Catholics go to Catholic schools, Presbytarians go to Presbytarian school, Buddhists go to Buddhist schools, those without religious affiliations can go to gov't school. Rich blokes can send their kids to private schools. Parents should also have the choice for "home-schooling." Those who choose not to go to school to avoid "instituitionalization" are free to do so.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
How else could you make kids study and how else could you decide who gets into which school?

See my post below (#22).

There will be no exams until the kids decide to enter college - to broaded their education base or further in specialization. Some may opt for music, stage theatre/opera or other Arts related fields and can be tested according to their skills. Why waste time with O and A levels?

Cheers!

hawker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Catholics go to Catholic schools, Presbytarians go to Presbytarian school, Buddhists go to Buddhist schools, those without religious affiliations can go to gov't school. Rich blokes can send their kids to private schools. Parents should also have the choice for "home-schooling." Those who choose not to go to school to avoid "instituitionalization" are free to do so.

Cheers!

What about non-affliated popular sec schools where the demand far exceeds the supply? Up to principal or board of directors discretion? Isn't this more open to abuse and 'kelong'? Right now the allocation at least is based on the student's ability. Of course the rich will always have the advantage of preparing their kids best for psle but to me allocation by psle results is still the fairest.

loneshark

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheers!

BTW, correct me if I am wrong, I don't think there are any private schools (primary level) in Singapore. It is either govt school or international schools (need special permission).

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about non-affliated popular sec schools where the demand far exceeds the supply? Up to principal or board of directors discretion? Isn't this more open to abuse and 'kelong'? Right now the allocation at least is based on the student's ability. Of course the rich will always have the advantage of preparing their kids best for psle but to me allocation by psle results is still the fairest.

Ok. For the "better" (or more prestigious schools) - either go private or since these schools are "academically superior" schools - then in this case, a selection examination can bset up for them.

Cheers!

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
See my post below (#22).

There will be no exams until the kids decide to enter college - to broaded their education base or further in specialization. Some may opt for music, stage theatre/opera or other Arts related fields and can be tested according to their skills. Why waste time with O and A levels?

Cheers!

That is a formula for mediocrity

hawker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok. For the "better" (or more prestigious schools) - either go private or since these schools are "academically superior" schools - then in this case, a selection examination can bset up for them.

Cheers!

Without meaningful exams to seggregate the good from the ordinary students, all schools will eventually drop to madrasahs standards.

(((SINGAPORE: Of the six full—time madrasahs, four have met the PSLE benchmark this year set by the Ministry of Education.

For the madrasahs, the benchmark is pegged at the average PSLE aggregate score of Malay pupils who take four standard—level subjects in the six lowest performing national schools)))

Last edited:

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
See my post below (#22).

Cheers!

the americans pretty much have no major exams till the SATs and the quality of their average student is pretty appalling.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/1...ional-failures-pose-national-security-threat/

TheDarkKnightRises

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is no gd school, only gd teachers and teaching methods, so gd teachers shld rotate school

PSLE shld be scrapped, so ppl like Kinana with 150 PSLE score have a chance at society

jw5

Loyal
I echo the call for the positions of ministar and ministar of state in the pm's office to be scrapped.

Polpiness

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pauline Straughan? That twat has a feminist agenda but she has masterfully disguised herself as an academic/sociologist.

More daycare services, more work-life balance and flexi-hours (for women of course) won't work.

The truth is that the population pyramids of all advanced countries are shaped like a tower. In less advanced countries, people are hedging their bets by making more babies because infant mortality rate is high and adults don't live as long due to poor healthcare.

In advanced societies, you no longer need a lot of kids to help out at your farm. There are also other factors: birth control for both sexes, educated women preferring to party/work instead of making babies, more people seeing sex as recreation rather than a rite of procreation etc.

7 billion people. The world is already overpopulated. Just because the PAP govt wants a new generation of taxpayer/wage slaves doesn't mean you should give it to them.

Yes, that's a common view in modern society. Maybe that's how most advanced societies will progress toward. Why would they like to conserve and ensure the earth continues after their time on earth are up? The idea of my father lives and have his day, I succeed him and have my day, my son succeeds me and has his day, his son in turn succeeds him, are just simply too remote to the advanced societies.

Maybe the advanced societies have created new confidence of independence. With the help of advanced technology, the new found confidence made people think that they will not need any human help in their work, made people think that they will not need young human help when they are old, made people think that they do not need a state to collect tax from the new generation so that a portion of tax collected is used to provide the social and health care needs of the old ..... and more .....

But I hope, in 20 to 30 years time, it will not progress to a stage where the new found confidence made the young of the tomorrow feel that there is no use of the experiences and wisdom of the old and see tax revenues allocated to spending for the social needs of the old as meaningless and leave them behind is the right choice since they are responsible to shrink the tax base because "they prefer to party/work instead of making babies and see sex as recreation rather than a rite of procreation when they are young". Can't blame them?

Maybe it is the competitions in advanced societies that are responsible for such developments. But what are the advanced societies competing for? For primitive societies, to compete for survival, to struggle for their next meals are understandable and maybe that sort of competition provides some pleasures. But what are the advanced societies competing for? Can it be that it is the minds that imagine and made up the competitions and struggles? Can it be what the competitions that the minds have set up is actually only to made sure that we will not fail to outshine our neighbors?

In May, sociologist and former Nominated MP Paulin Straughan also called for PSLE to be abolished, as a way to reduce stress and encourage young couples to have more children.

Can it be that it is this type of competition that drives so much interest in PSLE scores, banding of schools etc? It is these measurable indicators that made the excellent ingredients to feed the mind for the competition that the minds have set up for everyone, a mean for them to compare and outshine their neighbors. It is this mindset that made us slave, not the banding, nor the PSLE score, nor the children.... the band 1 or PSLE T score of xxx, to a clear mind is just another number, neutral, not much meaning as to in relation to who they or their children really are, but to a clogged mind it is the culprit of stress, it is the scared cow that must be slayed. Are they? Hoping to reduce the stress by removing the branding and PLSE score but not correcting the mindset may yield less than anticipated outcome. This is because the root cause of the stress is not removed. The mind will find new indicators to feed on and then the stress, the resentment, the anger, and the negatives emotions return. The new indicators may well be the number of play class you send your child to, instead of the number of tuition class you send you child to. Play centers replacing tuition centers maybe a profitable proposition, anyone?

Such clogged minds and mindsets need to be highlighted for awareness, hopefully with awareness one can time for reflection and come out of the traps , but no one can do it for others except one self, he or she has to initiate and take the first step to come out of the traps himself/herself .

Imagine, is it possible that the dinosaurs will still be around the earth if they can manage their greed, wiped out unhealthy competition and did not killed each other out? Clogged minds and mindsets will produce modern dinosaurs, killing each other. Such unhealthy and meaningless competitions do not enable the "modern dinosaurs" to enjoy life enough to wish to have children and pass it on. Such unhealthy and meaningless competitions (moral, happiness, ethic relativism etc may sound sexy, but the real stuff must the one that is good by itself? If it is good by itself regardless, is there meaning in relative comparison and relativism? What is good is good by itself, that is the real good?):*: made the "modern dinosaurs" have such negative outlook on life which causes them to feel unhappy that they do not care to have children and in years to come these "modern dinosaurs" must be succeeded by and what they have built and accumulated must be inherited by the wise intelligent bystanders.

Last edited:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
See my post below (#22).

Cheers!

That is a formula for mediocrity

Nope, that is the formula of giving the kids the life they should enjoy - carefree childhood.

BTW, do you ever use box diagram in you day to day living? Whatever for?

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Without meaningful exams to seggregate the good from the ordinary students, all schools will eventually drop to madrasahs standards.

Hello hawker, not necessary. New Zealand primary school kids do not have examinations. Ask boss Sam if you need any confirmation.

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's why they turn into barbarians famous only for war dances?

Don't say that and be a disgrace to Singapore.

New Zealand has a population of 4.4 million people.

Singapore has a population of 5.18 million people.

New Zealand produced 3 Nobel Prize winners:

New Zealand1.Alan MacDiarmid*, Chemistry, 2000
2.Maurice Wilkins*, Physiology or Medicine, 1962
3.Ernest Rutherford*, Chemistry, 1908

What about Singapore? So much for the educational systems the two countries adopted.