• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Motorola to QUIT SinKaPOOR

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why i didnt see this coming?? Big big $$$$ for our govt. Now its explain why our govt not keen to develope Spore co and keep letting huge influx of foreign workers and MNC.
!&!!

Why enrich sinkies when they can enrich themselves instead?
As the name implies, sinkies are meant to be sunk.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I am writing from my experience working for MNCs, both in manufacturing and sales positions. In my opinion, Singapore is fast losing her premium status as a manufacturing hub, be it high-end or low-end. In fact, we have only a slight advantage over say Taiwan, China or other countries because of the many FTAs we have and the tax benefits that MNCs can gain by setting up offices here. Some products will enjoy tax reduction if it's "Made in Singapore" when importing. Furthermore, our government manage to keep the costs of operating manufacturing facilities as low as possible with the relaxed foreign workers policies, a necessary evil, I reckon, to keep the growth engine running. However, by not controlling well, we had situation where jobs associated with engineering or manufacturing as being "lowly" paid and with no much advancement, partly because of the influx of less "demanding" FTs. I am not against the idea of foreign imports. I think they are important to the economy of Singapore. However, I am sadden that this appears to be the only solution our governement has. After so many years, we still could not have a truly global company that we can be proud of. Finland whose population isn't much larger than us has Nokia. And even Taiwan has Foxconn, Acer, etc. Well, I think we still have Creative right?

All I see is the death of manufacturing in Singapore, at least for mass market products, namely consumer electronics. For example, mobile phones or printers where the volume could be more than a million a year. It's just doesn't make sense to manufacture here because it's not cost effective and efficient. However, it doesn't mean all manufacturing can't be done here. I still see opportunities in niche products, like medical or industrial applications, where the volume is small but value is high. Investment in technologies and equipment will be more important than cheap labour. That should be the direction that we shall move forward. The days when a MNC's manufacturing facilities supporting hundren of thousands of livelihood will be gone, a fact we can't change unless we have resources like China or India.

Teh problem is that S'pore is run by bureaucrats who are noted for their personal achievements, other than ass kissing Con You's butt. When GLCs and other govt. related entities dominate more than 50% of the stock market, they have no incentive or ability to create a world class company. Maybe SIA is the only such company.

VeryWise

Alfrescian
Loyal
Teh problem is that S'pore is run by bureaucrats who are noted for their personal achievements, other than ass kissing Con You's butt. When GLCs and other govt. related entities dominate more than 50% of the stock market, they have no incentive or ability to create a world class company. Maybe SIA is the only such company.

Agreed. SIA is probably one and truly only global company we have. And if you look deeper, there are many people whose ricebowls are directly or indirectly dependent on SIA. From CAAS, STAS, ST Aerospace, etc. SIA is their biggest customer and make up a lot of their annual revenue.

The initial idea of GLCs is great. Building up local enterprises with the help of government is the only way to fend off "big boys" from overseas. However, when the GLCs can stand on their own, the government think it is too early to release to them to the real world for fear they could not compete. Another reason I could think of is that controling GLCs would control most of local economy. Alas, hiding in the ivory towers for so long, many of our GLCs could not fight in the big pond and still require some form of Government protection. Of cos, we do have some world class GLCs but they are still quite tightly controlled by government. Singapore really needs to develop more entreprenuers. What happen to all the great local tycoons of the past? Why we can't recreate one again now? I remember we used to have a few kings...rubber king, rice king, etc. Sigh!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What happen to all the great local tycoons of the past? Why we can't recreate one again now? I remember we used to have a few kings...rubber king, rice king, etc. Sigh!

When you have an emperor there's no place for kings. Why share when you can grab everything :confused:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Another wise company that understand the danger of sinkieness and leave. This company will do well in business in the future.

Thank you for middle fingering sinkies and sinkieland.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have one idea. The sinkies should create another company that made mobile phones with high tech features.

But does sinkies has the quality to be at that level? Please tell me.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have one idea. The sinkies should create another company that made mobile phones with high tech features.

But does sinkies has the quality to be at that level? Please tell me.

CB Kia tonychat,

your level is only fucking ladyboys, not real woman:biggrin:

so pathetic:oIo::oIo: