• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MOE Teacher: How students can stay out of YOG

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
MOE Teacher: How students can stay out of YOG
August 15th, 2010 | Author: Contributions

I was a teacher under MOE. I can say that it is easy to get out of the situation. Just get a parent to write a letter saying that you have family issues or that your parents would not like you to participate in the event, there is no way your school can punish you as it is a decision by your parents, not you. Under 18, you are a minor and cannot be held accountable. That is the legal way out.

The moral way out is to organise or participate in a charity event and then ask the school to punish you for choosing the charity event. The charity event can be as simple as giving tuition to needy students or reading to children. Ask the school to punish you for choosing a greater good. See if the school can recognise the moral point driven for it.

The political way is to get everyone to boycott the event.

I was once in charge of a school choir. The choir was quite good and was asked to do recording for NDP in Feb. Being teacher in charge, I requested that the recording be done latest in early Apr since the secondary 4s will be doing exams and will be exempted from all CCA after this event. But I was later told that the first recording will be in mid Apr and second will be early May which would be the week before school exams. I told CCAB that my choir would not do the second recording regardless whether there is a need for a second recording.

This was because my students’ welfare came first rather than difficulties that the CCAB had. I told my HOD CCA my decision and informed my principal about it. I told them if they disagreed. they could overwrite my decision and speak with my students directly. (even if they did, I coached my students in all the the arguements they will make with the P and HOD) Good thing they supported my decision.

This resulted in a DD coming down for the recording. As long as you are sure you are doing the right thing, dont bow down to other regardless of whatever power they wield. As students, you actually have greater power united than you realise.