• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MM wife has just passed away.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
abolishment of the estate duties to preserve their estate. No?:d

The bungalow at Cluny Hill with 51,000 sq ft of freehold land I estimate is currently worth about $105m.

Most recent transaction at 20b Nassim Rd was at $2100 psf.

Because of empress & emperor's ownership, about 15 years ago the road leading to Cluny Hill was converted to a one way street for security reason I guess.

Last edited:

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my opinion, her contribution is to give MM Lee the stability so that he can pursue a successful political career, one that gave birth to Singapore and continued so wonderfully for a number of decades.

Singaporeans including perhaps you, had benefited from the contributions made by MM Lee when he was Prime Minister.

That's considered a contribution? Why don't you say her contribution is to mate with MM Lee to give birth to three outstanding children who are the epitome of the excellent Singaporean?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you are in bad shape. Opinion is something else. For some people, the Women's charter is a negative , while for the others, it is positive. That is their view and that is the opinion.

Let me simplify it for you using an analogy. His question is "How tall is the tree? Your answer is the tree is brown in colour. I then tell you that your answered it wrong and the tree is about 10 metres tall. You then come back and tell us that it is your opinion. I hope you don't come back and tell us that you were talking about tree.

Get the picture?

He ask you to list the contribution. Sometime answers tend to be vague when the person has no contribution and people tend to be nice and paint a rosy picture. It was not the case with lady.

I said, 'in my opinion' and that is my focus.

You can always feel yours is better but i am not obligated to make that my opinion.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The property is in family trust and attracts no estate duty. And yes about the one way street.

The bungalow at Cluny Hill with 51,000 sq ft of freehold land I estimate is currently worth about $105m.

Most recent transaction at 20b Nassim Rd was at $2100 psf.

Because of emperor's ownership, about 15 years ago the road leading to Cluny Hill was converted to a one way street for security reason I guess.

BusNo64

Alfrescian
Loyal
i just wanto knoe one one thing - MONDAY GOT PUBLIC HOLIDAY OR NOT? :p

the rest i bochap...she die none of my biz.. :cool:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometime back, a Singaporean was being considered for a global role and the interviewer from London, who worked in UK, US, Australia and Singapore raised the point about Singaporeans being "too polite" and may not be able to do the job especially the leadership part. I was taken back. The candidate responded that it was a reflection of a Singapore's political climate.

The interviewer replied that he did not mean compliant but that we have the habit of giving positive answers and not the accurate picture.

This habit of giving positive answer has short-circuited our capacity to think and we end up shooting out something polite. As one forummer pointed out, it more spin than substance.

She is not the only wife that supported her husband. Others all over the have done the same. Its a throwaway line at best.

He did not even know what she contributed but gave a lecture that we all benefited from being a wife.

As a politician myself, I understand what IR123 is saying. It is indeed not easy to pursue politics if you do not have wife who could take care of the family back end so that you can focus and handle the front battle. This is especially so when you are fighting the battle with great uncertainty of success.

Of course, that may not be DIRECT contributions but there will be a good supporting wife behind every successful politicians.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep, I think many have done that. That is the reason why estate duty is the most volatile in recent years and sadly impacts those that have gone senile and not in a proper state of mine to do estate planning.
I'm sure they wud have placed all their assets in trust.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
She is not the only wife that supported her husband. Others all over the have done the same. Its a throwaway line at best.

He did not even know what she contributed but gave a lecture that we all benefited from being a wife.

For me, it is a kind of empathy, not really listing down the "contributions". Contributions of a wife who could take good care of the family while the man fight his political battles, is at best, an individual's contribution to her husband's success.

Goh Meng Seng

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a politician myself, I understand what IR123 is saying. It is indeed not easy to pursue politics if you do not have wife who could take care of the family back end so that you can focus and handle the front battle. This is especially so when you are fighting the battle with great uncertainty of success.

Of course, that may not be DIRECT contributions but there will be a good supporting wife behind every successful politicians.

Goh Meng Seng

I believe she used to write , or at least vet his more important speeches especially in the earlier days....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly, it is indeed empathy.

For me, it is a kind of empathy, not really listing down the "contributions". Contributions of a wife who could take good care of the family while the man fight his political battles, is at best, an individual's contribution to her husband's success.

Goh Meng Seng