• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Migration for Successful Singles/Couples

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
someone i know "jump aeroplane" in US, know english, speak cantonese, hokkien and chinese. IT savvy too. surviving very well in US and got his own business.

Yes, i think if one just chooses to believe, do his due dilligence and basic homework, just about anyone can do it.
Unfortunately, many are just too afraid of failure to even try to succeed.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Just don't believe the myths of typical Singaporean. I have still remembered that when you first started on your JB move and announced it to this forum with good intention, a few morons were saying that "JB is full of rape and robberies of Singaporeans", "You will get robbed at night", etc. I'm glad you never took their words seriously and learnt on your own how to avoid all these nasty situations. Now you are a much happier man, living in comfort with other good neighbours and now dispensing advice because of your own kindness to any Singaporeans considering JB. I have immense respect for your patience and virtue.

I am currently still living in Singapore, but am already making plans and doing research, while also trying to up my qualifications just in case. It is sometimes tough to see others enjoying while you have to slog hard on your free time. But I tell myself, it is for a better future and exploring the world makes a matured man.

Any nation will be suitable so long we learn the language and have a mindset of "can do". Learn to be independent and tolerant that the first few times are never going to be easy or smooth. Many Sinkies cannot take a bit of setback and hardship, hence they belong to the pigeon holes and cooped up for their lives. :biggrin:

Thank you so much for your kind words, it is unlifting especially after a couple of tough weeks. It did hurt me especially some parts of it was uncalled for and back then i was dealing with some family tragedy thoughout some parts of the thread. Some parts of it really affected me but i pressed on.

It is however natural to have detractors and still until recently, we have folks saying crime is not reported in the thread but they missed out a dedicated thread (and made into a sticky thread) just to highlight crime in JB. For everyone that says something is good, someone will say bad.

We are by nature, a very resilient people and very tolerant too i might add. I guess some were too sheltered and they need time to adjust and realise that there is nothing to fear but fear itself. Fear feeds on fear and is a never ending cycle. As with all cycles, one needs wisdom to perceive and discern the right path to break it. The world is our oyster, it is way beyond Singapore and encompasses the entire world, nothing can truly stop us except the man in the mirror. Only when a caged bird is set free does it realise the great expanse that is out there.

Crime is really everywhere, just a matter of whether one is willing or able to face ones life without fear or to live under the yoke of fear. I am just doing what i can for the fellow man, i still get insults and accusations from all angles and i know i cannot please everyone no matter how hard i try. I just continue to do what i can while i am still in this world.

One day, when i am no longer needed, i will just fade away quietly.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
how are they are gonna reinstate or replenish their cpf when they don't have any cpf in the 1st place?

i shall award you the star of temasek for being the joker of the day.

Hi bro, perharps bro scroobal was referring to the PRs and people who are newly minted Singaporeans who may have CPF already from their previous days as a PR? So they gave up but wanted to come back and then have to replenish?

I apologise for my lack of knowledge in this area.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi bro, perharps bro scroobal was referring to the PRs and people who are newly minted Singaporeans who may have CPF already from their previous days as a PR? So they gave up but wanted to come back and then have to replenish?

I apologise for my lack of knowledge in this area.

he was responding to sotong about sinkie-born ex-sinkies having to reinstate their cpf when they apply to be pr's. newly minted sinkies, even if their cpf is negligible due to short stint as pr's, will also be treated like sinkie-born ex-sinkies if they renounce after becoming newly minted sinkies and re-apply as pr's. doubt this category of getting citizenship then renounce to get pr is numerically significant (more like zero or single digit) to warrant a debate. remember the whole nonsense started with "there is no requirement to put anything back in cpf." in truth, the requirement exists for all ex-sinkies, no matter what categories they fall under. :smile:

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello everyone, I need some help and will be glad if any seniors out there can give me some guidance. I am embarking on a journey to Canada through the study route and will be enrolling for a course in a few months time for 2013 intake.

I am still quite unsure of which diploma course to take although I had narrowed down to a few, I am at a crossroad

1. Do I go for the course where its career gives a relatively high income? Something like Instrumentation (as mentioned by exSingaporean and what he mentioned indeed matched the graduate employment report from the school) or Power Engineering.

2. Or do I go for something I have a little little interest in maybe Geomatics? The pay is not very low but do enough to get by.

The education is expensive and I hope the seniors' opinions might open up my views on this matter.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hello everyone, I need some help and will be glad if any seniors out there can give me some guidance. I am embarking on a journey to Canada through the study route and will be enrolling for a course in a few months time for 2013 intake.

I am still quite unsure of which diploma course to take although I had narrowed down to a few, I am at a crossroad

1. Do I go for the course where its career gives a relatively high income? Something like Instrumentation (as mentioned by exSingaporean and what he mentioned indeed matched the graduate employment report from the school) or Power Engineering.

2. Or do I go for something I have a little little interest in maybe Geomatics? The pay is not very low but do enough to get by.

The education is expensive and I hope the seniors' opinions might open up my views on this matter.

Geomatics techs don't make much that's true. Considering you are actually going to study you might be better off with option 1 I think.

As someone with no experience who only entered the land industry this year I am earning about the same as a entry level geomatics tech.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cost wise it's probably cheaper in Alberta compared to BC & Ontario.
The province of Alberta does not have a sales tax. This province has the Uni of Edmonton & the Uni of Calgary. In the past the Spore gov't would send some of the teachers to the Uni of Edmonton for degree courses.

They also have good polytechnics, NAIT in Edmonton and SAIT in Calgary.
http://www.nait.ca/
http://www.sait.ca/

In Edmonton you also have community colleges like Grant Macewan, http://www.macewan.ca/wcm/index.htm
Red Deer a town between Edmonton & Calagary, also has the Red Deer College http://www.rdc.ab.ca/Pages/default.aspx

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The province of Alberta does not have a sales tax. This province has the Uni of Edmonton & the Uni of Calgary. In the past the Spore gov't would send some of the teachers to the Uni of Edmonton for degree courses.

In Edmonton you also have community colleges like Grant Macewan, http://www.macewan.ca/wcm/index.htm
Red Deer a town between Edmonton & Calagary, also has the Red Deer College http://www.rdc.ab.ca/Pages/default.aspx

There is no uni of edmonton. It is called uni of alberta. And it is located in edmonton city.

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal

There is no uni of edmonton. It is called uni of alberta. And it is located in edmonton city.

I am going over Saskatchewan, Regina's area. Sask do have taxes higher than Alberta, I am budgeting a thousand dollars for a month, 500 for room rental and the rest for buying food to make own breakfast, packed lunch and dinner. Transport will be cycling. Is it possible to survive on cad1,000 a month?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I am going over Saskatchewan, Regina's area. Sask do have taxes higher than Alberta, I am budgeting a thousand dollars for a month, 500 for room rental and the rest for buying food to make own breakfast, packed lunch and dinner. Transport will be cycling. Is it possible to survive on cad1,000 a month?

Alberta has no PST. Only the 5% Federal GST (lower than singapore). When it comes to income taxes though, Alberta charges a flat rate across the board for its provincial income taxes. Which can be higher for the lower income group than if they lived in other provinces. But it is great for the rich.

You might want to consider http://www.canadahomestayinternational.com/

I am one of the host families. I get paid $700 a month and I provide the student with 3 meals per day (full board). I don't know how much the company charges the student. Check the website. There are programs for adult students as well. Depending on how generous your host family is, the meals will vary. But I think it is within your budget of $1000 a month.

Good luck!

Oh yes I forgot to mention. For most white people, their lunch is very light and simple. Some would just eat crackers and an apple. Or just some fries or chips. So don't be surprised that for lunch you are given an apple and biscuits. They are not trying to torture you or anything because that's what they really eat for lunch!

Last edited:

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alberta has no PST. Only the 5% Federal GST (lower than singapore). When it comes to income taxes though, Alberta charges a flat rate across the board for its provincial income taxes. Which can be higher for the lower income group than if they lived in other provinces. But it is great for the rich.

You might want to consider http://www.canadahomestayinternational.com/

I am one of the host families. I get paid $700 a month and I provide the student with 3 meals per day (full board). I don't know how much the company charges the student. Check the website. There are programs for adult students as well. Depending on how generous your host family is, the meals will vary. But I think it is within your budget of $1000 a month.

Good luck!

Oh yes I forgot to mention. For most white people, their lunch is very light and simple. Some would just eat crackers and an apple. Or just some fries or chips. So don't be surprised that for lunch you are given an apple and biscuits. They are not trying to torture you or anything because that's what they really eat for lunch!

I suppose $700 a month is not considered expensive in a city like Edmonton.

I did consider homestay for full board and lodging but the campus in Moose Jaw is too small a town. I don't know why I chose Sask as my province, the first thing that came to me was her generous provincial nomination for permanent residency and the campus provided co-op work term which can contribute towards work experience in one of the requirements for nomination.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I suppose $700 a month is not considered expensive in a city like Edmonton.

I did consider homestay for full board and lodging but the campus in Moose Jaw is too small a town. I don't know why I chose Sask as my province, the first thing that came to me was her generous provincial nomination for permanent residency and the campus provided co-op work term which can contribute towards work experience in one of the requirements for nomination.

I have never been to Sask myself. My colleague (white) who has family there says that in Sask the predominant immigrant presence are from South Asia (Indians/Pakistanis). I say this as a matter of fact and have no opinion about it.

What is the rate like for renting a room? My grocery bill per week is about $250. This includes food and household supplies for the whole family of 5, the homestay student and 3 dayhome kids. But it doesn't cover out weekend meals.

One thing if you are planning to prepare meals for one person it might be more expensive per meal unless you cook one meal and then eat it for lunch and dinner for maybe 2 days or more.

There are also those TV dinners that come at about (Hungryman) $3 per meal. Mac's got $2 bacon cheeseburger. During summer pop drinks all sizes $1. So if you count $3 per lunch and dinner ie $6 per day, comes to about $200 a month. +/- some nicer food, you should be within budget lah.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my advice for all thinking of studying in universities in either canada or the u.s. in order to work your way to a job and eventually get a pr on this side the ocean: spend 3 years in an sg poly first and get your diploma there before applying for uni here.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So is obtaining permanent residence in OZ for eg an easier step towards getting residency in other anglo countries like canada, nz, us and uk? Isn't sg a part of the commonwealth therefore a citizen of sg should be able to obtain pr much easier compared to a citizen from country not part of the commonwealth.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
So is obtaining permanent residence in OZ for eg an easier step towards getting residency in other anglo countries like canada, nz, us and uk? Isn't sg a part of the commonwealth therefore a citizen of sg should be able to obtain pr much easier compared to a citizen from country not part of the commonwealth.

No difference.

Getting PR is chicken feed. It is just a matter of applying.

It is how you start supporting yourself and improving your social and financial situation after you migrate which is the challenge.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, every country has a separate set of requirements. There are no transferable streams based on approved application on one. There is no commonwealth factor at all in play. Singapore in the past did have exclusion from the the English test etc. There is however the Trans Tasman Travel Arrangement which allows citizens of both countries to work and live in the other without much hassle but requires a visa. 2 for the price of one. US has the added attraction of the green card lottery.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have been providing false and misleading information on many occasions on Emigration in the past. Why should someone spend 3 years in a poly to get admission to US and Canada or for the matter to 1st tier destination countries.

The fastest way is the 1 year foundation course ( also known as gateway/pathway) after O levels or the 2 year A levels or Pre U course. There is a Cabinet Minister whose daughter is currently doing her foundation course in Oregon. Foundation courses can be done in locally in some countries such as the well known Taylors college in Malaysia or in the destination countries which is very popular. This has become very popular as there are twinning arrangements with Universities or the University itself that does these foundation courses. Some would require at least 11 years of formal primary and secondary education.

Typically the entry requirements is O levels Express for many countries..

The slowest way is actually the 3 years in Poly way.

None of this guarantees admission to Perm Residency.

my advice for all thinking of studying in universities in either canada or the u.s. in order to work your way to a job and eventually get a pr on this side the ocean: spend 3 years in an sg poly first and get your diploma there before applying for uni here.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The way I see it, there are lots of people who have the qualifications that would allow them to apply for a PR with the Tier 1 countries.

There are also lots of people who could choose to move to a non Tier 1 country and make a new life for themselves.

The issue is not so much whether you can migrate but rather whether you WANT to.

And truthfully, there are not that many people in Singapore who really want to migrate. They might say they do and all that but they're not really serious about it. Singapore is still a pretty good place to live despite all the complaints we hear.

In Damascus I can see many people wanting to migrate....