• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Microsoft is smart to save Aircon!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Soon Microshit!...marketing tagline will be " Your Data In The SEA"...not load your data to cloud!. The next excuse from microshit borrowing from "yakut"..." we are sorry to inform you that, your datas saved at sea, had been washed clean, due to "ponding" in our servers"..ha ha ha ha

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still makes no sense to have to submerge 864 servers in the ocean,just adds to the cost and technical difficulty,they can simply just submerge the turbine generator alone which is more durable and less fragile than a whole bunch of servers,generate the electricity,channel the electric to shore via cables and use it to power the servers,any water cooling can be done on the surface,u don't need the ocean for it.
Oh if you use water on the surface for cooling means always have to change water means waste water but if you use water in the sea means free water no waste.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's run by shytskins now,I suspect this idea is the brainchild of some shytskin PhD.
No not PhD but some Microsoft rank and file employee. Proven Everyone can change the world for the better!

https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/06/...scottish-coast/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“The concept was first derived several years ago at one of the company’s internal ThinkWeek events, where rank-and-file employees are invited to submit ideas for consideration. “

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
doesnt make sense. Contribute to sea warming
According to Microsoft, the sea warming effect is minimal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-44368813?__twitter_impression=true

Another expert is not so sure.

Prof Ian Bitterlin, a data centre consultant for nearly 30 years, is sceptical about the environmental impact of going underwater.

"You just end up with a warmer sea and bigger fish," he says.

And 90% of Europe's data centres are in big cities such as London and Madrid because that is where they are needed.

Microsoft's Ben Cutler insists the warming effect will be minimal - "the water just metres downstream would get a few thousandths of a degree warmer at most" - and the overall environmental impact of the Orkney data centre will be positive.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh if you use water on the surface for cooling means always have to change water means waste water but if you use water in the sea means free water no waste.

Theres no waste in cooling with water....the water simply becomes hot and then cold when it cools down,like a nuclear reactor although theres a risk of the water getting contaminated by radiation but it doesnt matter,ur not going to drink the water and it doesnt change the composition of water.water is used in cooling because it absorbs and dissiptes heat faster than air.

Anyway i doubt they are going to use sea water for cooling cuse sea water is highly corrosive.just look at the bridge and barrier at marina barrage.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is singlish at its best. can save aircon. if aircon can be saved, don't need to dump them in aircon recycling yard. please be green and kind to environment. save your aircon (such as use it as a paper weight or coffee table). :p
Old-Air-Conditioner-Scrap1.jpg
What’s wrong with using singlish here? It’s clear, concise and save typing. One finger typing on hp is a lot of effort you know.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
What’s wrong with using singlish here? It’s clear, concise and save typing. One finger typing on hp is a lot of effort you know.
There's nothing wrong with Singlish. But when it comes from you, it gives one the feeling that it is so genuine of yourself. :rolleyes:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's nothing wrong with Singlish. But when it comes from you, it gives one the feeling that it is so genuine of yourself. :rolleyes:
Of course genuine when I have been using singlish in this forum since day one. Only tell people my English A1 after Malaysian dogs like you insulted my English poor. You are the fake fabulous English hypocrite dog, not me.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Theres no waste in cooling with water....the water simply becomes hot and then cold when it cools down,like a nuclear reactor although theres a risk of the water getting contaminated by radiation but it doesnt matter,ur not going to drink the water and it doesnt change the composition of water.water is used in cooling because it absorbs and dissiptes heat faster than air.

Anyway i doubt they are going to use sea water for cooling cuse sea water is highly corrosive.just look at the bridge and barrier at marina barrage.
Yeah you are right actually can recycle the cooling water indeed.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Of course genuine when I have been using singlish in this forum since day one. Only tell people my English A1 after Malaysian dogs like you insulted my English poor. You are the fake fabulous English hypocrite dog, not me.
Your English is indeed poor! :rolleyes:

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN you are the type that know or learn alittle bit of things and self praise in fantasy be it german, English, music, investments etc wakeup your fucking idea KNN

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your English is indeed poor! :rolleyes:
Of course that’s the low class mentality of you Malaysian dogs that think it’s ok to insult people poor or English poor. Hey don’t forget your grandfather Malaya rubber plantation worker is fucking poor hahahahaha

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN you are the type that know or learn alittle bit of things and self praise in fantasy be it german, English, music, investments etc wakeup your fucking idea KNN
Another big fat lie when I only said not bad didn’t say I am expert. In fact I said will take ten years to be expert. So that’s not called self praise but called self confidence in learning anything that I want to learn.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

it's an impractical moonshot just for pubicity, oops publicity. they'll junk this once it's found to be too costly to service and maintain. why? still need undersea cables for the data connection. and how expensive will it be to ensure cables are not entangled by shipping, coastal turbulence, marine life, undersea rocks, etc., since tidal waves are most active near the coast? if near the coast, cables with armored casings are subjected to not just corrosion but abrasion from water, waves, rocks, sand as they constantly cum into contact with other objects and substances on the coast, including sewage spills and garbage. moreover, the submerged module of servers have other mechanical and electrical parts too, beside the servers, such as tidal generator parts, motors, coils, converters, inverters, transformers, etc. can break down and get leaky due to non-stop humping and undulating tidal wave motion. even with a robot, robot needs maintenance and break every 6.9 hours if it serves as sex robot for sinkie uncles to hump, copulate and undulate in geylang. :p