• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Low Versus Low

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Statement / Press Release

24 September 2010 <!-- by WP webmaster -->Press Release by MP for Hougang on Insight report for Hougang Constituency

Low Thia Khiang, MP for Hougang I refer to the Straits Time Insight report on Hougang Constituency published on 24 September 2010.
Mr Eric Low said, “at every wake, he would send a blanket from the town council”. I would like to clarify that blankets and donations to families of deceased residents are given in my personal capacity as MP for Hougang to offer my condolences, not from the town council.
He was further quoted to have invited me for the meeting of HUDC cluster privatisation, to which I have replied, “too busy and didn’t want to come”. Mr Eric Low had brought this up in a conversation when we met at a lunar seventh month dinner. Never had it crossed my mind that a brief casual conversation was actually an official and important invitation to a formal dialogue session and not a grassroots meeting. In any case as I understand it, the dialogue session was organised by the People’s Association (PA) and Mr Eric Low was invited as the Guest-of-Honour. I was not informed nor invited to the meeting by the PA.
Next came the most intriguing point raised in the report, and I quote: “When the opposition lose in PAP wards, where do they go to? Do you see them in the PAP wards?”
These words and the underlying meaning behind them show exactly the kind of political system we have in Singapore.
Let me touch on the first point: “Where do they go to?”
When a PAP candidate loses the election, he is appointed or will remain as “Adviser” to the grassroots organisations. He heads the Community Club (CC) and nominates or endorses members of the Residents’ Committee (RC) whose activities are co-ordinated and routinely administered by the PA which is funded by government budget.
At the party level, he is in charge of the PAP’s branch in the constituency which is closely affiliated to the PAP Community Foundation (PCF). The PAP party office is usually located inside the premises of PCF, which is registered as a charitable organisation and runs pre-education classes for residents in the ward. The PCF premises are granted “concessionary rent” by the HDB.
To summarise, when a PAP candidate loses the election, he goes to the CC under the umbrella of the PA and to his party office under the PCF, where he can conduct meet-the-people sessions in a proper office in air-condition comfort.
Now, when a WP candidate loses the election, he has to, quite simply put it, ‘roam the streets’ if he wishes to continue extending his reach in the ward.
When the WP narrowly lost in the 1997 General Election, the former Secretary-General of the Workers’ Party, JB Jeyaretnam, wanted to continue to meet the residents of Cheng San GRC weekly to hear their concerns. This was held in a coffee shop but the coffee shop was soon branded as a place used for political purposes.
The second point: “do you see them in the ward?” makes a mockery out of our supposedly democratic political system.
We see the PAP’s presence in every ward, be it in their own or in the opposition’s.
Firstly, government initiated programs, such as Lift Upgrading Program and HUDC Estate Privatisation exercise, mandate the “Adviser” to play a central role.
The adviser is to assist in implementing privatisation of HUDC estates by endorsing the Protem Committee members and interacting with residents through dialogue sessions, house-to-house visits, etc. In the case of HDB flat Lift Upgrading, the Adviser is to announce the precinct being selected, preside over the exhibition in the ward and oversee the LUP working committee.
The elected MP has no say!
Secondly, the PA assists the grassroots organisations, which include the RCs, Constituency Sports Club, CC etc to organise social and community events and the Adviser is invited as Guest-of-Honour. This gives a great opportunity to the Adviser to be seen and heard by the people in the ward. The Adviser is also invited to other functions such as lunar seventh month dinner organised by the residents and to functions organised by schools within the constituency.
Thirdly, PCF, the charity arm of the PAP which offers nursery and kindergarten classes to residents, also invites the Adviser as the Guest-of-Honour for their graduation ceremonies. This is usually well attended by parents who live in the constituency.
Finally at the national level, the Adviser is invited to events such as National Day Parade, official ceremony of governmental events or campaigns, as well as, events such as the F1 Race.
As for WP, what options do we have? We have applied to Town Councils and CCs managed by the PAP to hold dialogue sessions and block parties for residents previously but these applications were promptly rejected.
Given such limitations, we can only try to enhance our presence in the various wards through house-to-house visits.
Unlike the PAP candidates who lost in the General Election, our candidates have to rely on our own limited resources amidst the constraints and obstacles hurled upon us.
Therefore, I am surprised to hear such sarcasm from Mr Eric Low “where do they go to?” and “do you see them in the ward?” The PAP puts in overwhelming resources to have their presence felt and is equally determined in quelling the opposition’s presence.
Singapore is supposedly at the crossroads of an era where many good things are happening in our country. We talk about the YOG competitive spirit and fairness. We talk about openness and democracy. We talk about empowering our people.
But are we truly promoting the spirit of competition? Can we truly be open with our views? Are we truly empowered?
Low Thia Khiang

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eric Low has a thick skin. Rejected at the polls but walking around as the people's representative. A disgrace.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Eric Low has a thick skin. Rejected at the polls but walking around as the people's representative. A disgrace.

Eric Low talks so much because he's expecting Low TK to step out of Hougang SMC into Aljunied GRC next GE. Will LTK really take that step? I also don't know. Best I can say now is 50:50. It's up to LTK himself.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Eric Low talks so much because he's expecting Low TK to step out of Hougang SMC into Aljunied GRC next GE. Will LTK really take that step? I also don't know. Best I can say now is 50:50. It's up to LTK himself.

Thought that you were yalking about BOOMZ Low...!!:p Do not think that LTK will move into Aljn GRC, he still have the people's support in HG. What has Eric Low done, since the last election...NOTHING!..the only appearance he made recently was to REPRESENT HIS MASTER's INTERESTS in the HUDC Flats conversion to private.

If you had followed LTK entry, & Tang Guan Seng exit, and compare the difference, the evidence is enormous though not earth shattering as many would want to see.

The same goes for Potong Pasir..wether the people votes for PAP or WP OR....Life still goes on, the crux of the matter, the people want a real alternative voice to represent them, not some, 'actors' who read from a script & perform on cue in parliamnet.

That is what the people's want, not the upgrading thing, which is the responsiblity of the landlord & that is HDB!.

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would like to hear Eric Low's formal reply to LTK. If he refuses or if he does not respond adequately, then based on what LTK said, Eric Low does not look like someone you want to have any dealing with, and to a large extent, this impacts the PAP.

And what the PAP does make you pissed off.

Where is the PAP when they lost an election? Well Sitoh refused to restore some street lights even though this is crucial for the safety of the residents. The PAP withheld estate upgradings for these opposition wards.

Does the PAP think that having the defeated candidate hang around will endear him to the people? This is superficial, the PAP must have thought Singaporeans are daft.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would like to hear Eric Low's formal reply to LTK. If he refuses or if he does not respond adequately, then based on what LTK said, Eric Low does not look like someone you want to have any dealing with, and to a large extent, this impacts the PAP.

And what the PAP does make you pissed off.

Where is the PAP when they lost an election? Well Sitoh refused to restore some street lights even though this is crucial for the safety of the residents. The PAP withheld estate upgradings for these opposition wards.

Does the PAP think that having the defeated candidate hang around will endear him to the people? This is superficial, the PAP must have thought Singaporeans are daft.

SINgaporeans are not daft, as what we were made to belive it. Many just do not have the chance to voice their grivences through the ballot boxes; never mind the feedback available which are sanitized & whitewashed.

In each & every new election, the ruling party, will find ways & means to shift the goal posts & introduced new legislation to FIX the oppositions.

The MIW is famous for nicely tell ( threathen) the people, if you do not vote for me, I remove your bus service, train stations, do not upgrade your flats ( who own the flats?) & the surrounding environements.

The truth of the matter if many were given the opportunity to vote, many whose lives depends on the million dollar salaries they collect plus the lifestyle they are accustomed to, will come tumbling down.

In short, many have lost their spurs in the hide, lost that vision to serve the common man & give him a future he can sustain & live comfortably in!.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
One thing about LTK's English is his writing in a Chinese style and fashion, especially the last sentence. A good letter and hard hitting points, nevertheless.

LoveSingFade

Alfrescian
Loyal
PA = PAP, same brand, I wonder why PAP always strongly believe that they are the best and why the best so kiasu and the best always wanted to win by unfair competition.

I would like to clarify that blankets and donations to families of deceased residents are given in my personal capacity as MP for Hougang to offer my condolences, not from the town council.”

See! LTK is serving the people from the bottom of his heart. Low Thia Khiang 加油 !

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal

Eric Low got nothing to hit, so he find all the small nitty gritty things to complain.

It's like what some opposition parties have been doing to PAP wards. Just that this time roles are reversed in Hougang. The losers always have 1001 reasons to hit.

It is a nice answer by Low Thia Kiang and by giving blankets to funerals, Eric Low also got things to complain. We don't see PAP wards giving condolences and donations to the families. At least he used it from his own MP allowance. PAP wards only show their faces at VIP funerals.

On the issue of the privatisation of the HUDC, why should the MP get involved? He is not even an owner of the units in HUDC.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's like what some opposition parties have been doing to PAP wards. Just that this time roles are reversed in Hougang. The losers always have 1001 reasons to hit.

Maybe that's politics? After all, it's human logic that the one given the task carries it out and the one with no task can at most talk only.

It is only because Singaporeans cannot see that logic (expecting opposition to have government record *gasp* and PAP losing candidates to act like MP *gasp*) that the losers start raising bits and pieces to catch attention. That's thanks to Singaporeans having one of the lowest commonsense levels and EQ in the world.

shunquan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The truth of the matter if many were given the opportunity to vote, many whose lives depends on the million dollar salaries they collect plus the lifestyle they are accustomed to, will come tumbling down.

You are being daft again. If what you say is true, then the opposition must be stupid because they are not contesting the wards they can win.

If we assume that opposition are clever people, they will stand in the wards they have best chance winning and let PAP walk over the wards they are sure to lose. So if many more were given the opportunity to vote, the PAP's percentage will go up.

You think the percentage will be lower with Holland Bukit Timah contested? Or Tanjong Pagar or Marine Parade? Please use your brains!

Such simple logic you all also don't understand.

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal
If we have more of such sharp and poignant replies from oppositions, there is BUT hope for oppositions. Yet, you cannot the help but feel the chivalry of LTK without being loud and dramatic.

Put GMS in the same tight situation, I bet with you my underwear he will blunder, just like usual and then reply with "I was misquoted".

Both LTK and GMS receive their education from NUS and LTK is believed to be CHINESE ED! BUT GMS cannot write such substance as LTK did. *sigh*

<pun*> Tampines GRC, your MP GMS? his degree bought from Sungei road? (At least locally bought)!!

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal

I hope LTK goes into Aljunied and let Sylvia take on Eric Low

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not a good idea! What's wrong with current arrangement?

Incumbent must always leverage on his incumbency advantages.

That is why I also said that CST shld remain in PP and let his wife go to the new GRC.

Otw, we may end up losing both bets!

I hope LTK goes into Aljunied and let Sylvia take on Eric Low

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not a good idea! What's wrong with current arrangement?
Incumbent must always leverage on his incumbency advantages.
That is why I also said that CST shld remain in PP and let his wife go to the new GRC.
Otw, we may end up losing both bets!

if Sylvia can win Hougang then LTK should consider contesting Aljunied.
but I can't see LTK leaving Hougang and gambling his political career on Aljunied unless he's certain WP has a very good chance of winning that GRC coming GE (polls?)

CST waited and delayed for a GRC contest till at the end of his political career.

wizard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember these, people of HG or singapore.

The PAP's candidate used to cook some abalone or something porridge and hand over to the residents in the morning.. Our newspaper show him with bright and compassion smile while handing out the porridge to the older resident there..

After he losed, the newspaper asked him why no more porridge.. The sunshine smile agone and a sulk repled . Why should he give out porridge for people who dun vote for him..

Not forgetting the GCTs $100 million promise... and the street lighting..

You want to vote for this type of candidate? I will vote for opposition until the $100 million is given to HG even i dun live there as the people of HG should not be punished for decision in voting.. A singaporean should have no fear on who they chose to vote..

Gracious society for Singapore .. when they behave like old time landlord up at the top..

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Statement / Press Release

24 September 2010 <!-- by WP webmaster -->Press Release by MP for Hougang on Insight report for Hougang Constituency

Low Thia Khiang, MP for Hougang I refer to the Straits Time Insight report on Hougang Constituency published on 24 September 2010.
Mr Eric Low said, “at every wake, he would send a blanket from the town council”. I would like to clarify that blankets and donations to families of deceased residents are given in my personal capacity as MP for Hougang to offer my condolences, not from the town council.
Low Thia Khiang

This is not the only thing LTK paid from his own pocket. There a footpath inside ave 5 across state land that was stone paved by him. He wanted to build a proper cement pavement by the town council application reject by the URA. So he have built the path on his own capacity. Those MTFs purposely reject the TC appliaction, claiming the state land will be use for building a school. More than a decade had passed, still no sign of the school.:oIo:

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have seen Eric Low and he is not impressive at all. He appears insincere and seem to be more interested in 'scoring' for PAP.

As for LTK, I'm impressed by his letter above which is simple and easily understood but to the point but why it is that he is unable to articulate the same manner when he is in Parliament?