• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Local school teacher and mother: Singapore's education system is a failure

Les grossman

Alfrescian
Loyal

By Anonymous Teacher And Mother Of Two

Being a school teacher, I can tell you our education system is a failure.

Most of the school teachers are bogged down with too many students and too much non-teaching workload. When I was a trainee teacher years ago, this problem was already surfaced. MOE and NIE's response was that if we only want to teach then we should resign and go be private tutors. Teachers are expected to do a lot more than just teach knowledge and basic moral values.

If our schools are only thought to be focusing on teaching academics, then our schools are already failures. As parents, how many of your kids, especially in secondary school and junior college, flunked half their subjects in their recent midyear exams? Are you aware that over half the students failed at least one subject such as English, Humanities or Maths? It is probably a lot worse for those in the Normal Academic and Normal Technical Stream? Those of you with children in secondary schools and junior colleges can attest to this.

School teachers are all too busy with their admin work and CCAs or handling disciplinary issues from students with bad attitude. School leaders solution is to quietly nudge parents to find private tuition. Newspapers strategically interview students who are good and can cope on their own, ignoring the vast majority of students who either get tuition or are doing so badly that they need tuition.

My husband and I work long hours in different schools, but the rotten culture in both schools are the same. School leaders focus more on non-teaching aspects to drive their own promotions and performance bonus, while those who can teach well and want to focus on teaching well continue to be penalised and placed at the bottom of the ranking.

Our younger son is of average ability in secondary three. He failed Additional Math in his midyear exams. So did his elder brother. It turned out that 3/4 of their cohort failed it too at the midyear exam. We also are teachers. We don't want to blame their teachers because we know how busy we all are. We are stretched in all directions, and teaching well is not a key priority for career success even though touted so. We sent our son for tuition, and we are shocked to find that many students from the top independent schools and band-one schools also need tuition for their Math. I talked to some of them and their parents at the tuition class. They said that if they didn't have tuition, they probably would have failed or done a lot worse for their midyear exams.

That seems to be the state of our education system. Even as an exam-crazy system, our system is not able to function well on its own without parents pumping in external money in the form of tuition. Even groups like Mendaki and Sinda also offer free tuition to the students under their care. Why would they do so, if the education system was sufficient enough?​

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2014/06/local-school-teacher-and-mother.html

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Knn..
Singkie education standard is fuck.
They can't teach and expect the parents to send kids for Pte tuition so that kids can cope.

nabeifuckpap

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only talent most sinkies have is sucking PAP cock that's why CECA Tiongs Pinoys make up majority of new shitizens and PRs

JHKs some have critical thinking skills compared to the retards on this island they rather go back bolehland retire instead of here LOL

ChristJohnny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Normally those who do not well in school are the ones who are the most vocal. Just like the 33%. Most of them are usually at the bottom of social statistics. This is normal human instinct.

Race and IQ
national-iq-scores.jpg

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Small class size is the key. MOE trying hard over the years to reduce it without success. Today, it is still 40 students per class the same as what it was way back in the 1970s.
That's because they did not take into account new citizens.

nabeifuckpap

Alfrescian
Loyal
problem is schools teach children to outsmart each other......nowadays never teach ethics to make them do the right things in life, always about money money money
FUCK PAP
Last time my neighborhood secondary school got the most rotten people I ever come across and also got foreign students from Indo and Tiongland
Knn I never forget 2 teachers, 1 say foreign students can study better than locals the other one say she believe money can buy happiness

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember, 6 out of 10 sinki kids are duds. No matter how many tuitions or coaching, they are still duds.
You need only less than 5% to be placed in universities. The rest are wasting their time.
Apprenticeship is seldom appreciated. But it worked well in Germany and Japan. Trained by companies to be technicians, chef, electricians, plumbers, brick layer, .... End of certain period, take a test and earn a qualified certificate.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my world, we doesn't even need school teachers. If there is a need for one, this person just need to provide us proper notes. That's it. Why do we need another person to explain or read out things to you? Don't you have a mind to figure it out yourselves?
I swear to god I didn't needed any lecturers from the day I realised this later part of my academic life , and I have never failed in any subjects during exams, only that some subjects I wasn't so keen to do in depth figuring and didn't performed well enough only, and ace with others.
I have never attended lecturers in my final academic time after I realised this. Yes 0 lecture attended I swear. Tutorials is no choice as attendance are taken but I did not even open my ears in class.