• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
The important thing is that in Dubai they have built much more private properties than number of residents and that created a bubble as most of those were sold as a speculative investment.

Hope we wouldn't experience something like that in IDR.

Dubai doesn't have much land scarce neighbours who:
1. Lacks space 2. Who is also keen to share development 3. Send its people over there to retire/leisure.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
i went to the homefair at persada. got the adt systems for $299rm with free motion sensor, keypad, door contacts and siren. mthly $75rm for 3 years contract.

Thanks for sharing, that sounds like a good and sound investment. I have a neighbour who installed those very bad ones though which will sound off every single time some one lets off a firework or when a heavy vehicle drives by it seems.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
For those just moving in:

Do remember to check your water meter and fuses for TNB and quickly report prior to moving in/renovation. That way, you won't be charged additional in case someone used your water(not that it really matters) or most importantly, stole your water meter. Most contractors know what to do to get temporary power if your fuse is stolen and they can still continue to renovate your house.

Water wise they can't do much if its connected yet so be prepared for smelly toilets, delayed construction.

Hence power and water is very important prior to renovation. Once you have the basics, the rest will be much easier. Also, have a broom and dustpan for them to clean up after.

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
hope everything goes smoothly for you as you make the transition. tell us more about setia eco living there etc if you could when the time comes. =)

Thanks.. one interesting thing for me is that I somehow gotten the contact numbers of my neighbours in JB even before renovation starts, however I do not have contact number for my neighbours in SIN even after staying 7 yrs in the existing flat..

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
Congratulations avalon74.

Thank you for having followed this thread and once again we thank Wuqi for having spent a considerable amount of his spare time to keep this thread active, relevant and hot.

I am at Setia Tropika. Care to share with us your Setia Eco Garden experience?

How is the place? ST design or different? Got shops inside/around it etc?

welcome again.

Hi Prof,
Agreed that this forum is definately useful to many.. esp with all the valued comments/contributions from everyone..

Amongst the 4 developments in Johor under Setia, think Eco Garden was the most affordable at that point in time.. The design is fairly plain but i like things simple as well..:smile: The latest in ST has covered carpark even:cool:

For shops, Setia said that they intend to discuss with operators when there is sufficient critical mass of residents so nothing as yet.. however a drive of 10 mins will bring me to Aeon Bukit Indah which is good enough for me..

With regards to what Wuqi mentioned on the walls, think it may be a problem for the single storey units as I checked the walls are fairly ok for my unit..

Cheers

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also, Tesco has good towing cables, fire extinguishers for cheap. I have all these plus solar charger for my cars batteries (cigarette lighter type) in case i need to travel and won't use them much. Jusco in Tebrau city has the highest amps jumpstart cables that i have seen so far that you don't have to visit a mechanic to customize. 1000amp, normally 400 is ok but depends on the type of vehicles you have.

Hi Wuqi
Some neighbours complained that they had installed anti-surge plugs because they had a few bad experiences with appliances that had been damaged beyond repair by power surges. They paid RM$75 per unit.
I have not suffered this problem at all, and on checking on Amazon, some anti-surge devices were as affordable as US$9 each. Do you or anyone else reading this have any bad experience with power surges and damaged appliances? The lower US device price is ok, but is it being over-cautious? Appreciate some opinions.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am undecided on nusa idaman vs taman laguna..... headache when it come to buying a house....

the house that i am looking now - NI -smaller, at center of nusajaya vs laguna , much bigger, at a bit out skirt...

Hey, go for NI. I know the coastal link brings taman laguna closer to civilization but really... it is nestled within a kampong... too far off

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Wuqi
Some neighbours complained that they had installed anti-surge plugs because they had a few bad experiences with appliances that had been damaged beyond repair by power surges. They paid RM$75 per unit.
I have not suffered this problem at all, and on checking on Amazon, some anti-surge devices were as affordable as US$9 each. Do you or anyone else reading this have any bad experience with power surges and damaged appliances? The lower US device price is ok, but is it being over-cautious? Appreciate some opinions.

Hi Mallow, for landed properties, you might get this more. I invested in UPS units about 200-300 plus each that gives me power surge protection as well as standby in case of power trip. Not really so far, except maybe thunderstorms when we get a trip but so far tv, APs, printers, laptops are all ok. Might be worthwhile to get a cheap one for the critical devices as well as one for the ADSL modem.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, quick question. I'm in BKK now; just saw a taser with a LED torchlight selling for 650 baht, before negotiation. Should I buy it? To keep in the NI house as a future safety device against intruders. Also, if i buy, what r the chances I'll be stopped at Changi customs? Thanks.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi, quick question. I'm in BKK now; just saw a taser with a LED torchlight selling for 650 baht, before negotiation. Should I buy it? To keep in the NI house as a future safety device against intruders. Also, if i buy, what r the chances I'll be stopped at Changi customs? Thanks.

Don't buy, very likely you won't need it. There are lots of things you can buy over in JB for self protection. There is always a chance as they are quite strict with the scanning, etc. Don't risk it as there are other alternatives.

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't buy, very likely you won't need it. There are lots of things you can buy over in JB for self protection. There is always a chance as they are quite strict with the scanning, etc. Don't risk it as there are other alternatives.
While you are probably right Wuqi, and "If you live by the sword you will die by the sword", the bad news is that some tasers have already made their way into Malaysia and are apparently in use by the triads.
From my personal experience, you would need to have immediate access to any weapon and be well trained how to use it - and it should not be first available to an intruder while you are groggily waking up.
Vigilance, all sensible actions and precautions, top quality security ... necessities in our adopted land where these are totally worth implementing against the superb benefits enjoyed.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

While you are probably right Wuqi, and "If you live by the sword you will die by the sword", the bad news is that some tasers have already made their way into Malaysia and are apparently in use by the triads.
From my personal experience, you would need to have immediate access to any weapon and be well trained how to use it - and it should not be first available to an intruder while you are groggily waking up.
Vigilance, all sensible actions and precautions, top quality security ... necessities in our adopted land where these are totally worth implementing against the superb benefits enjoyed.

Yes it is but so far i haven't seen it although i know it was sold here in fact some time back. Its good to equip yourself with stuff though.
Bestmart, there is a supermarket inside which sells good stuff. I saw a kukri there once. There are also other places where you can get telescopic batons, etc.
The tasers they have are the handheld types that must be held close to you

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
echanbonfire01 :

Hi, I have installed ADT at my Austin Hts home. RM75 per mth for three years. Up front charges about RM2K+. V happy with the service so far (since Jan 11). I have a mixture of vibration & contact sensors (for windows/sliding doors) + 2 montion sensors + 1 smoke sensor. Two keypad units (one at ground flr main door, one in 1st flr master bedroom). Keypad allows different messages to be sent to the call centre, eg medical, fire, intrusion emergency ..etc There is backup battery and I am using sim card system - so no worry for power failure or telephone line cut-off.

Response from the call centre is very fast (less than 10 secs)- based on a few false alarms (accidental activitation on our own) I have experienced so far.

My system was activitated on a few occasions when there were strong vibrations from my neighbour's renovation work. The alarm went on for about 15 mins and remained active after which. ADT will help monitor the situation. If alarm is triggered by both contact/vibration and motion sensor(in the house), then there is likely to be intrusion and the police can be called in.

I did not install grills. But the system gives me peace of mind.

Exchange Rates :
19 Apr 11 (lunch time) - Funan RM2.40, Chinatown RM2.402, Arcade RM2.406
19 Apr 11 (830 pm) - opposite Plaza Pelangi RM2.41

Hope we can get this moving - Restaurants / Eateries :

1. Meng Meng Roasted Duck, Taman Mount Austin. New branch open recently. Great mix plate (duck, pork, char siew - RM9 per pax. Big portions RM18 good for 3 pax) and a variety of herbal soups.

2. Zhi Char (Hong Ming Food Services), Setia Indah. Very popular, clean and good food. Tel : 012-7187782. On weekends, popular dishes (eg crabs) are sold out by 9pm.

3. 007 food centre, Setia Indah. Great hawker centre with Karaoke stage. Bring yr own DVD from 7pm onwards. Performances later in the night. BBQ, ngoh hiang, clay pot dishes, frog leg porridge (fantastic), satay. There is also a DVD stall (RM4 per disc - buy three get one free)

Btw, I have made a deposit for a link house at The Hills over the weekend - officially a HH member. Very exicted with the developments in JB !

Cheers.

house

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey, go for NI. I know the coastal link brings taman laguna closer to civilization but really... it is nestled within a kampong... too far off

Laguna is much larger in terms of size.. I have visited their showroom and the parking space is huge too. Its quite convenient though if u are using causeway and 2nd link but I wont choose laguna for investment as its a pretty decent place to stay but probably not invest. It is a good place for family stay I would say. Dont have the WOW factor in Horizon Hills.

But the quality/finishing are definitely much better than HH though

House, i would suggest NI or Nusa Duta rather than Laguna. :smile:
My humble 2 cents view.

Agree, 2 of my neighbours and myself would pick the design ANY DAY. Definitely better than HH and in some ways, even better than EL even.

Its a good place to stay certainly (except the edges near to the side road) but its saving grace is at least although it has some weak fencing it has good multi layered concertina wire and lots of cameras along the edges. I did a couple of tests at night, security wise is actually not that bad but its just the neighbourhood may not be too appealing to some.

G&G (Gated & Guarded) properties still seems to be the way to go, at least there is security, passive security features like fences, barbed wires rather than none.

Good design, ok place, a bit far in though and next to deserted coastal area plus some may not like living next some squatter areas. Still, for nature/seafood lovers, etc its actually a good place.

I have a friend staying in taman laguna ... currently little bit out of the way ... but once the coastal highway is ready hopefully by end this year, the taman laguna folks will be smiling for they are in the middle between CIQ1 and CIQ2 ... less than 15 min to either

price said to be picking up steadily there, but rumours have it that it will shoot up when coastal highway is open

Thanks guys... appreciate for the feedback....

Taman laguna
- security good - cctv all the corner and guard looks impressive and cheap maintenance fee
- v big unit which not much other area provide the same space/ built up area as other development getting smaller and smaller...
- a bit inside and not developed at surrounding area in between danga bay & kota iskandar
- location good for woodland custom or 2nd link with the coastal highway (mostly will shoot up when coastal highway open)
- i got quite a number of family members so the bigger the better.
- more local family in the garden.
- away from amenities.
- need to go through a malay kampung to reach the garden.
- higher entry cost- all loan, lawyer fees not free + higher downpayment.

Its really pro and cons..... nothing is perfect. headache headache.....

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
hello bros,
Is it true that Singaporean need to pay 20% levy to buy ppty ? Which mean if house is 500K , levy is 100K ? Two years ago when I bought my house in Sutera it was only 10K leh :smile: ...

(Got this info fr Yahoo forum : -
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/malaysian-metropolis-taking-shape-near-singapore-20110417-154530-833.html )

BTW very disguested that these bastards keep on talking bad thingy about JB , yet they go in doves to shop and pump petrol in JB almost every weekend and cause such a big jam for us !

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Traffic snarls at the Causeway will begin to build up tomorrow right. (Hopefully not today)

For me i will go in on Friday afternoon/evening.

LEts see how ICA and the malaysian immigration handle the traffic during the long week end.

Status
Not open for further replies.