• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsTrii

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the ex staff, ....was so vindictive even though ...

Today, even called our staff to threaten ....... even claims the state franchisor will help her and grab our staff over to other branches.

Wuqi, DO NOT dance to her tune ! Her strategy is to vex n stress u so that u will give up. Since your staff is with u ,u guys just carry on n ignore this green-eyed she demon . Soon her schemes will backfire on her. Dont give in to the stress she is working up in your people n don't give up.

Guanyi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chief, sorry to hear of your bad experience with PB and the problems that you are going thru at the moment. Do take care.

So far the branch that is serving me is doing okay. It could be branch related.

Speaking of PB, i had a number of experiences (all unpleasant from PB)

Common things:

One of them started way back in Living in JB1 where basically the teller told me i cannot open a current account here as i am a foreigner.
Of course, her manager called her and she sheepishly took back the funds that she had pushed all over the floor (which i then picked up
and pass it to her) This was mentioned by myself and bros here a long time back but as long as you have a loan, getting a current account
or even FD becomes easier with some flexi accounts allowing you to even have combo accounts.

Then recently sent a lot of emails for them for one loan application, in the end the manager claimed i did not send any to him but all this
while myself and others have been sending emails to him, only those with no attachments got through. In the end had to forward everything
all over again to their private mail accounts.

By the way, agents/developers/bankers/lawyers here tend to use private or personal mail account as their corporate ones are usually throttled or blocked or have size restrictions/incorrect firewall/mail proxy/anti-spam/anti-virus settings on
their email accounts.

Last one, my relative had a new loan recently, their accounts/admin department called up the firm my relative was working at and demanded to speak with my relative's manager or boss. Without further verifying with my relative the name, etc of the supposed manager/boss, proceeded to verify the pay of my relative and proceeded to basically disclose to the entire office that my relative:

1. Draws a certain amount of pay and length of tenure in the company
2. Is buying a house in Malaysia and has other properties
3. Other details which were irrelevant to the loan nor to her job.

When asked, the manager did not apologise nor do any follow up and simply covered up with the story that the receptionist identified herself as the manager and that the bank representative (newbie) had done all she could to verify before checking for the information. My relative checked with the receptionist and it seems like straightaway the bank rep asked everything.

Yes, they do have a right to verify but the random calls and just asking anyone in the office and giving them information about my relative was wrong. They should have just called the right number instead of the mainline and start blasting away.

The newbie does not know better and probably was not adequately trained but the old bird or company should have kept things professional. Now the entire office is giving my relative a very hard time and today she called me late in the evening with anger. I have asked her to drop the matter to give my friend face but it seems she may have to consider changing role or to quit her job as some people are now giving her a hardtime as they know her pay, etc.

Not apologising and changing story + bank manager being rude did not help PB's case.

For the sake of my friend who recommended us PB, i will not name the branch here but guys/gals who are keen on getting bank loans, please learn from this and make sure to only give them your direct boss/HR director's number and no one else.

To be fair, I am sure these types of snafus are not just limited to Public Bank alone so again do beware when they tell you that they are calling you to check on with your company.

I had my fair share of an incident like this where a company i was buying a from basically faxed across all my details, payslips, income tax, bank statements, FD and stocks holdings to my company when i cancelled the deal as the car was not to dad's satisfaction.

Though they forfeited my deposit, i guess its a case of spite so they basically faxed it to my company main fax line not once but twice. Had a lot of knowing looks when i went to work next morning.

Bottom line is, there are a lot of induhviduals (credit to Scott Adams) out there who don't know any better, their bosses are either not paying enough attention or care enough so do beware when sending over your personal details to anyone.

Again using private email accounts in MY for business, even formal ones is very common here so its not a real red flag when your lawyer uses a gmail or yahoo or msn account to receive your documents.

Having a lot of challenges recently with kids health, business and work so won't be online as much as i like. Appreciate any help from bros here to continue helping out the newbies.

BMSKE44

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can someone here pls advise on how to deal with JB landlord who wanted to deduct the rental deposit to pay for his roof water leakage repair? Thank you.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chief, sorry to hear of your bad experience with PB and the problems that you are going thru at the moment. Do take care.

I agree too. Most times it not the bank or branch but that particular officer attending to you.
My dealings with PB had be quite good and their services, quite attentive and so far so good.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can someone here pls advise on how to deal with JB landlord who wanted to deduct the rental deposit to pay for his roof water leakage repair? Thank you.

You have to refer back to your tenancy agreement to see what is allowed/not allowed to be done with the rental deposit. Anything that is not written is difficult to argue against.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

As a landlord of a few houses, i cover all the major repairs in the house including roof leakage including any major electrical, toilet or water related repairs.

Unless the leakage was caused by your or your contractors through installation of antennas, etc, otherwise if the tenancy agreement doesn't cover it, you can work out something amicable with your landlord where at most you share 50% of the rectification costs. Normally a small case should only be limited to a few hundred RM. If its more than a thousand, then you should get your own contractor to quote since its your money that he is deducting.

I fixed all the houses at my expense and even for one of them, i loaned them a modem to use for months and in the end they only paid one month and never paid me back for the rest and also kept the better antennas i bought but i still personally forward the mail to them to this day. Yet some disappeared with my mattress protectors, etc or some would purposely use a lot of electricity and don't pay that last few months so have to offset against the deposit.

I would suggest to talk nicely to your landlord and get it resolved. Always talk first and don't go through 3rd party who may make it worse.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

My luck is always exceedingly good or bad so i can only blame myself whenever things goes wrong.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
You have to refer back to your tenancy agreement to see what is allowed/not allowed to be done with the rental deposit. Anything that is not written is difficult to argue against.

Unless the landlord or tenant specified specific clauses for rectification, otherwise for roof leakage, its normally that of the landlord's duty unless otherwise specified (below 200 RM repairs done by tenant, etc) or proven to be caused by the tenant or where expectations was set that the tenant
manage the maintenance (usually where very low rental is charged)

One time, i charged someone less than 3k but yet the wife kept complaining about high rental as she was comparing the HH terrace to a Bukit Indah non gated unit which she said only thousand plus, in the end though the subsequent tenant i charged more than 3k, they still kept thinking i overcharged them and even when i gave them a rebate at the end of the lease, they weren't happy. Yet the current tenants for my houses which are 3k and above are very happy so its always a matter of perception i guess.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
bro wuji, can send me the link of your school? i got a 3 year old kid and stay at nusa idaman.

Thanks house, mine is far away from Nusa Idaman, there are other schools near you. Thank you for your support though, much appreciated.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi,

Depending on your tenancy agreement, there should not be any clause that states the landlord can deduct or get u to pay. Repairs like that are 100% the responsibility of the landlord.

In my TA for my tenants, I put a clause stating that anything below RM100 is ur responsibility to fix. If the cost is above that, then I will fix. But I might need to increase it to RM200, seeing how things are getting more expensive nowadays.

Hope you can settle with ur landlord; IMHO you should not have to pay even a single cent for his roof repairs; unless it's your fault.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seeing we are on the tenancy agreement topic.

I was renting a place and ended the tenancy, handed over to landlord for about a month. He has not refund my utility deposit of Rm 1k. When I asked him about it, he say he is staying in KL and is not free to specially travel back to JB to get the last TNB bill (which I am responsible as I was still staying there then). He says our Tenancy Agreement did not stipulate how the time that my deposit need to be refunded. Wah!

Is there a small claim or something like CASE here, so that I have recourse in the event this gets dragged further?

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
M'sia's 'cheap' properties luring S'pore investors

Your window to Malaysia
Thursday, 6 December 2012
Font-size: A | A | A
by Chittesh Shukla of theedgemalaysia.com on Thursday, 06 December 2012 08:45

KUALA LUMPUR (6 Dec): With property prices skyrocketing in Singapore and the warming in Singapore-Malaysia relations, demand for relatively cheaper Malaysian residential properties is growing.

Another strong reason for choosing Malaysia is the close proximity to Singapore.

Steve Melhuish, co-founder and chief executive officer of PropertyGuru Malaysia, said that the main reason Singaporeans view Malaysia as a tenable outlet for property investment is simply due to the comparatively low cost of purchase and maintenance.

PropertyGuru's Malaysia Property Show (MPS), capitalising on increased Singaporean demand of property in Malaysia, is returning this year with their property exhibition held in Singapore on Dec 8 and 9, 2012, said Melhuish in a statement today (Thursday).

"Prospective investors and homebuyers can expect to view the latest property projects from 10 major Malaysian developers including Andaman, UEM Land, Plentitude, Sime Darby Property, MRCB, The Haven, Denia Developments, Pulai Spring, Tanah Sutra and Encorp Iskandar," the statement said.

Melhuish said: "Our previous two Malaysia Property Shows were very well-received with over 1,400 visitors contributing total sales worth RM44.5 million."

According to the 2011 Wealth Report, the average price of luxury property in Singapore was around US$2,518 per square foot. This makes similar properties in Malaysia approximately five to six times cheaper in comparison.

The lower property prices in Malaysia, as well as the fact that Singapore is ranked the ninth top nationality in The Wealth Report 2012's prime second-home buyers list, make Malaysia a prime location for Singaporeans.

Additionally, the current strong Singapore dollar, which is seen rising further against the ringgit, adds to the attractiveness of property investment in Malaysia. Currently, one Singapore dollar can fetch at least 2.5 Malaysian ringgit.

The Malaysian government's initiatives to boost foreign property investment in the country, particularly in Iskandar Malaysia in Johor, is another pull factor for Singapore investors.

Iskandar Malaysia, located in southern Johor and is three times the size of Singapore (2.217 sq km), has brought in RM32.94 billion worth of investments in the property sector, according to the Iskandar Regional Development Authority.

"Soaring home prices and overcrowded roads in Singapore have made living in Johor a more attractive prospect for many Singaporeans and expatriates, even with the risk of crime and the inconvenience of crossing the border everyday," The Edge Singapore reported recently in its City & Country section.

Besides the Coastal Highway which cuts travelling time between Singapore and Iskandar Malaysia, the presence of Marlborough College, Legoland Malaysia theme park Pinewood Studios, hospitals and universities have further bolstered the property market in Johor.

And for risk-averse Singaporeans, the current close bilateral ties between Singapore and Malaysia forged by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak has removed their fear of political risk.

Sent from my iPad

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

I was renting a place and ended the tenancy, handed over to landlord for about a month. He has not refund my utility deposit of Rm 1k. When I asked him about it, he say he is staying in KL and is not free to specially travel back to JB to get the last TNB bill (which I am responsible as I was still staying there then). He says our Tenancy Agreement did not stipulate how the time that my deposit need to be refunded. Wah!

Is there a small claim or something like CASE here, so that I have recourse in the event this gets dragged further?

I heard from one contractor that there is something like CASE for people to file consumer claims against poor service/goods...heard that Homelife furniture in Aeon shopping centre quite notorious and people have gone to file claims from them before.

A search from internet shows there is indeed some consumer claims tribunal office in Malaysia:

"Tribunal for Consumer Claims under the Domestic Trade, Co-operatives and Consumerism Ministry.

It is a body established under Section 85, Part XII of the Consumer Protection Act 1999 which came into force in 1999. It hears and determines any claims in respect of any matter within its jurisdiction provided under the Act, where the total amount that could be claimed should not exceed RM25,000.

It is an alternative channel, other than the courts, for consumers to obtain appropriate compensation from a supplier.

Before the tribunal was established, all disputes between a consumer and a supplier was brought to the civil court, which involved high cost, time and complicated procedures. Due to this, consumers are reluctant to pursue their claims against irresponsible suppliers, especially when the amount is small, although presently the Small Claims Court hears claims involving RM5,000 and below."

http://allmalaysia.info/2011/03/14/cheap-fast-and-efficient/

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

In SG tenancy agreement, it is standard clause that structural defect is under the care of the landlord. Roof leaking is definitely structural defect, the landlord is obviously taking advantage to deduct rental deposit to pay for their roof repairs. Infact, the landlord should refund rental for giving the tenant roof leaking problems!

BMSKE44

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks all for your kind advices regarding about the responsibility of the roof leakage. I would try to sort it out again and if it fails, I would then discuss my case here in detail and hopefully get further advice from you all. Thanks a lot.

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM: Signing of mega deals shows investor confidence

NUSAJAYA: The signing of mega projects costing billions in real estate and motorsports in Iskandar Malaysia proves that foreign investors have confidence in the Malaysian economy.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said the signing of mega deals was proof that high impact projects and the government's Economic Transformation Programmes were not just merely words to garner the support of the people.

“What started as an idea is now a reality and the area is fast becoming one of Malaysia's most vibrant destinations,” he said, adding that the Government was committed to ensuring the projects continued and would generate good returns by the year 2020.

Najib's speech was read out by Johor Mentri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman who launched the Puteri Harbour Family Theme Park on his behalf yesterday.

Najib added that the southern development corridor boasts huge industrial projects, retail parks, tourism attractions and business premises.

“Just two days ago, I joined Chinese developer Country Garden as they announced a RM900mil investment in the Danga Bay project and we also welcomed news that Singaporean and Malaysian companies would partner to create a multi-billion ringgit motorsports hub here,” he said.

He added that as of September, Iskandar Malaysia had recorded investments of nearly RM100bil with some 40% from foreign sources.

“A total of RM42bil in investments announced this year had also been realised,” he said, adding that this showed that investors were confident in Malaysia's stability and opportunities for growth.

Najib said much had already been achieved but the Government still had a lot to do.

“If Iskandar is to hit its 2025 target of RM383bil in investments, everyone needs to play a part,” he said.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal

If the TA does not explicitly state when the deposit is to be refunded, then it is implied that the refund must be made within a "reasonable time". What amounts to a reasonable time in a particular situation depends on the circumstances, in this case, how long it would take for an ordinary landlord to receive his utility bill in the mail to ascertain whether he need to deduct any amount from the deosit. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.