• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marineblue911

Alfrescian
Loyal
Damp issue; no big deal to experienced renovation contractor; not those kind that just want to earn quick bucks by painting over it with a new coat of paint. Must find those type that will do some sealing above it; likely caused by small crack lines above the ceiling.

Don't worry too much over petty issues like these; very commonly seen in owner neglected resale units in JB, unlike Singaporeans who treasured their flats and cars more than anything else. Johoreans they don't really bother to take care of their house or cars.

Most important is location, environment, and value for money. :smile:$$

I agree with Newbie. Its doesnt look too bad. We live in a humid tropical climate. It is inevitable for algae and some water seepage. Actually with some TLC and minor touch up, should be ok. It also depends if you are going to do some reno before moving in. Some pp try to buy homes that are almost ready to move in with all toilets, kitchen and rooms done up. But some would take a brand new place and reno it totally. My next taman has many units extending their car porches/rooms/balconies of their brand new homes.

It depends on your inclination. But I opine that resale units would all new some TLC done. Its just our climate wear and tear...

Cheers

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the crack above cause water slippage, then it is not easy to solve. The so-called experienced renovation contractor will probably ask the owner to tear down that portion and rebuilt because there is no way to detect minor crack.

Nonetheless, I feel sorry for lonelysin on this and hope this can be resolved ASAP.

Your so call experienced renovation contractor is not experienced in renovation lah...his real experience is in conning naive owners and people who has narrow vision. the photo with leaking issue is just the cement roof of the living room terrace; it is not even the ceiling between the upper floor and lower floor. Just need to get to top of the roof and inject some silicone into the crack area, then repaint it with sealant paint.

First-time home owners or owners who never really take an interest in solving their housing problems will always fumbled when face with such building defects and blow things out of proportion.

I have a friend who is now anguishing over not buying a HH corner terrace for 630k 2 years ago because there are a lot of crack lines on the wall. He complain most of the HH terraces in gateway have crack lines and thus quality not so good and go for other developer. Now that corner terrace is selling over a million while the similar "good quality" unit he found somewhere down the hill is still someway to the million dollar mark. This is so call fussing over petty issues and missing the big picture; the wall crack lines on the HH are easily solve with plastering and a coat of good Nippon paint while it would be impossible to "uproot" his whole "quality" house and "plant" it on top of the hill.

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also my opinion here, if I have to weight location and workmanship.

I agree that no developer is perfect but I would rather go for developer with reputation on workmanship and then location.

I don't think I would want to pay RM800K to RM 1M for a piece of junk.
Imagine, you have several defects over the house? Even if the problem can be solved, I believe you have to spend so much time and money dealing with it.

I have been through these shits before, personally it is not worth it.

I guess that is the difference between home-stayer and investor.

Never trade in location for workmanship issues; I am talking about overblown minor workmanship defects; not the type that will cause your whole roof to collapse.

To the smart buyers, he will take in these minor defects and bargain hard for a good discount in the original asking price. To the inexperience buyers, he will just turn his head away and complain his way down the hills and waste more time looking for his good workmanship house and in the end he can complain endlessly and forever on the poor location of his good workmanship house for no one will be able to help him solve his problem.

tansi

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you notice some hairline cracks on the surface paint of sidewalls, or near the edge of ceiling, dun be alarmed. It is very common, even in really hi end builldings. There is no piling of ground foundation for 1/2 storey buildings, same as in sg in the 50/60. The weight of the finished building cause the ground to shift a bit and consolidate, making the walls of the building to change in height a bit.
I agree with Newbie. Its doesnt look too bad. We live in a humid tropical climate. It is inevitable for algae and some water seepage. Actually with some TLC and minor touch up, should be ok. It also depends if you are going to do some reno before moving in. Some pp try to buy homes that are almost ready to move in with all toilets, kitchen and rooms done up. But some would take a brand new place and reno it totally. My next taman has many units extending their car porches/rooms/balconies of their brand new homes.

It depends on your inclination. But I opine that resale units would all new some TLC done. Its just our climate wear and tear...

Cheers

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I guess that is the difference between home-stayer and investor.

Hi Summervale,

I am both actually. If you are staying there anyway, then its just a matter of adjusting time to look at defect rectification. If you are there anyway since you are a homestayer. I have to take care more than 5 houses and some of my local and SG friends who have more than me feels strongly about location versus workmanship.

No one is right or wrong. Some would rather prefer convenience over privacy while others value workmanship over location. For me, i find its easier and quicker to change what i can change and remain serene over the things i cannot change. Life is too messy and has too much trouble for whats its worth. I rather spend time in a good location and helping others when i can then to stew over some defect, perceived or otherwise.

Life is more than some renovation work as there will always be more work to be done. Once i done enough i will put an end to it, even if someone walks up to me and asks me why my other houses autogate i changed but my own i didn't?

I just smile and say "I have no money." Life in SG is always about comparison, etc so i came here not to live out my remaining time and take care of those i can help.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Your so call experienced renovation contractor is not experienced in renovation lah...his real experience is in conning naive owners and people who has narrow vision. the photo with leaking issue is just the cement roof of the living room terrace; it is not even the ceiling between the upper floor and lower floor. Just need to get to top of the roof and inject some silicone into the crack area, then repaint it with sealant paint.

First-time home owners or owners who never really take an interest in solving their housing problems will always fumbled when face with such building defects and blow things out of proportion.

I have a friend who is now anguishing over not buying a HH corner terrace for 630k 2 years ago because there are a lot of crack lines on the wall. He complain most of the HH terraces in gateway have crack lines and thus quality not so good and go for other developer. Now that corner terrace is selling over a million while the similar "good quality" unit he found somewhere down the hill is still someway to the million dollar mark. This is so call fussing over petty issues and missing the big picture; the wall crack lines on the HH are easily solve with plastering and a coat of good Nippon paint while it would be impossible to "uproot" his whole "quality" house and "plant" it on top of the hill.

Hey Newbie,
I even have people who kept complaining about hairline cracks but never noticed that their tiles were missing. Yes i have been to some of the developments and helping out where i can.

Anyway, to each his own. Some prefer to have better workmanship, some prefer to have better location.

Just met up with 2 different couples just now, one who back then i suggest him to buy a terrace on top of his cluster but due to tiles having cracks he didn't buy a terrace. Yet now considering a cluster at 1.1m.

Another one, he has a semi-d and thinking of buying a cluster, same type. He just sold his unit at a location which is a bit more inner and biting the bullet.

Puteri harbour

Alfrescian
Loyal
The passing of a great man who touches the hearts of many who cross his path.....

RIP. A good man, gone. :'(

NEWS: HSBC Vice President drowned in Singapore River
HSBC Vice President drowned in Singapore River

5 July 2012

A vice president of HSBC Singapore was found dead in the Singapore River according to a report by Shin Min Daily.

The incident happened at around 3.30am on 2 July at the Boat Quay area. Thomas Ang, a 39 year-old VP of HSBC Singapore is believed to have drowned in the Singapore River. His body was found near Fullerton Hotel.

According to one of his relatives, Mr Ang worked from the night of 2 July into early hours of the next morning. It is uncertain how he fell into the River, but his relative said there was a witness at the scene who saw him struggling in the water. However, before the person could reach out to help, Mr Ang was washed away.

Mr Ang reportedly worked very long hours. When his colleagues arrived at his office the morning after the incident, they found his documents opened on his desk, suggesting that he was working right up to the time he drowned.

Mr Ang is survived by his wife and two primary school-aged children. His body was cremated at 3.45pm on 4 July.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Wuqi,

BTW, about this "good location", what does it really mean to you and other? Does it mean the convenient to travel from home to Singapore and back or it is near big malls? I believe it mean different things to other.

I am relieved to hear that. For me, it has to be a good location first and foremost and by good, i meant:

1. Built on prime, preferably foreigner gazetted land.
2. Accessibility and proximity to sources of economic, social growth
3. Easy accessibility to amenities

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I bought a 2-1/2 unit in Sutera Utama 10 years ago. It costs 400K++. Now developer is selling at 750K
I bought an intermediate unit in Bukit Indah back in 2009 for 300K++. Now developer is selling at 550K
I inquire on Bestari Heights exactly 1 year ago and the price was 560K. Now developer is selling at 705K

No hard feelings fellow brother, developer are making big bucks. Thanks :smile:

So are you still holding on to these units in Sutera Utama and Bukit Indah or you have already sold? Btw did you buy Nusa Duta or not and what is the price you bought?

Last edited by a moderator:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Usually bank take 5-7 working days, you shd call the sale person. At the same time submit application to other banks, no obligation.. see who come back first and with best offer

Once full payment, Bank will release the title deed to you lawyer, lawer will then discharge the title to you (need pay several hundred RM for discharging)

Thx. I bought BH. Bank agent replied n i sent supporting docs already. I will check e status on Mon. I din c Nusa Duta, else wld consider but i have already committed to BH so cant change even if ND turns out better.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
......From all the developer I've seen, I would say Sutera is the best followed by Setia, IJM, KSL etc.

.....I'm not an investor. Both are family house and for own stay. And no, I did not buy Nusa Duta....

So you are current owner of Sutera Utama and Bukit Indah units, so coincidentally the same as your ranking the other day huh...you ranked the developer as Sutera is the best followed by Setia..

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you are current owner of Sutera Utama and Bukit Indah units, so coincidentally the same as your ranking the other day huh...you ranked the developer as Sutera is the best followed by Setia..

Setia is probably better in workmanship for KL projects. I think some of the sub-contractors have let them down.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
????? What's all these ????? What did you write in your first post??? I'm very confused. I thot I can trust u. Truly disappointed. Nvm. U're not the first and will not be the last. I'm tired and I'm out of here for good.

lonelyscream
Alfrescian
My Reputation

Re: Living in JB
Hi guys,

I'm currently looking at houses around JB and planning to buy one for own stay. I'm currently considering Bukit Indah, Nusa Duta, Nusa Bestari and Taman Sutera.

1) Any advice and comments on the above 4 taman?
2) I looked at the subsale price of Nusa Duta cluster and they are selling around 600K+. Any idea whether it is a fair price? Given that amount, which taman would you guys go for?
3) People keep on saying that property prices will drop next year but from what i see, it keeps on going up. Is it advisable to go in now or just wait and see until next year?
4) I'm a malaysian first home buyer. Any benefits such as stamp duty exemption? I remember it's either exempted fully or 50% for first home buyer rite? I do not know the criteria.

hope you guys can shed some ideas and comments on the above.

thanks.
lonelyscream

I bought a 2-1/2 unit in Sutera Utama 10 years ago. It costs 400K++. Now developer is selling at 750K
I bought an intermediate unit in Bukit Indah back in 2009 for 300K++. Now developer is selling at 550K
I inquire on Bestari Heights exactly 1 year ago and the price was 560K. Now developer is selling at 705K

No hard feelings fellow brother, developer are making big bucks. Thanks :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.