• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Just back from SEG over weekend.. the circuit breakers keeps tripping through out the night though just turn on the 2 aircons like I did all the time..
Any one had such experience before?

Google & found 3 main causes
1. Circuit overload
2. Short circuit
3. Ground fault

Dun think its overload since same appliance in use, dunno how much will it take to troubleshoot..
btw, will it help if I use a higher rated fuse?

This may become bad, check on the aircon wiring and if there was any new equipment/appliance that was installed. Normally last in first out when troubleshooting electrical stuff. Get an electrician to double check.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi all,

Just to share. had a rather interesting 2 days in JB. Started off Friday 7am from home and got stuck 2 hours on 2nd link Malaysia side. Decided to cut short and come back Saturday in order to miss expected Sunday's jam.

Went to Persada. Achieved objective to understand what is possible in JB and to manage expectations of budget. A lot is possible. I did not realise until now that the kitchen would be one of the most complex because of the coordination with the plumber and electrician and if I choose to, the appliance providers as well. Seems best prices can only be had at the Persada period. Next round will make serious downpayments. Many brochures to study. Recommend everyone to make at least 2 trips to the Home Fairs which happens three times a year. First for homework, second and third for purchases.

I drove the long way to the Johor Premium Outlet (JPO) via Senai & Skudai Highways and go via Indahpura. Boy, then I realised why they come up with the concept of Iskandar. Is a collection of many many towns like Pulai, Saleng, Kulai, Senai etc (not satellites to JB) plus new towns coming up like Genting's Indahpura. The potential and activity within Iskandar is vast (Wuqi, I understand Senai now...). Lets hope the politicians don't screw it up with and after the upcoming elections. Signboards still got much to improve. I used a Map, not GPS.

Well have a happy easter and a good week ahead.

There are lots of hidden gems here as well as hidden pitfalls, so always check first but once you have done homework, then banish all remaining doubts. Glad to hear you are doing well. Always good to do due dilligence before buying something. Senai is Zone E for Iskandar so its their next target.. Always be a step ahead. Thanks for sharing about the Shell station, will take note. There is a car washing place under the covered carpark of the Giant at Bukit Indah.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I agree with this approach. I also visited to gain understanding, collect brochures a long the way and shortlist/compile price list and quality. This will avoid last min rush, checking here and there, and worst still, not knowing what and where to look for stuffs.

Indeed, many good exhibitors there. Again, this is from the point of view of someone (yes, me) whom has no idea about anything about Renovation etc. So, what appears good to our eyes might not be relevant to those experienced bros here, whom have gone through the entire process. So, readers' discretion is advised :smile:

Btw, I think HOMEFAIR is only twice a year :smile: and btw, I even bought something (small) from Dehub, which is a company selling those high suction power gadgets.

www.dehub.com.my

I was also impressed by Teka ranges of products. Really loved their quality and styles.

Agree, being prepared is half the battle won especially when things are moving fast.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I had an experience with this shop at Nusa Bestari.. not Seng Heng but the other big shop.
The worker connected the aircon cabling wrongly thus causing the trip. In fact mine was a double fault which could have killed us. First the ground cabling was not connected and we did not realise it. Because the earth was not connected, the aircon guys did not know that their connection was wrong. All the "earth" points became life when we on the aircon. My wife put her hand into the washing mashine tub full of water and her hand was thrown out... i did not believe, tried, and indeed got a nasty shock.

Better get a proper electrician to check quickly.

Thanks for sharing, this is pretty serious and luckily things were ok in the end. Best to doublecheck as sometimes they send newbies to do the job.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I planted a luo han song in the garden. Yesterday I found a bird nest on the tree...
Nice.. First time seen something like that in my life!

I am looking forward for the baby birds and give him some good treats..

Good for you, plant more stuff and enjoy the beautiful scenary. Birds chirping, etc in the early morning. Its very addictive.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Was in JB yesterday and guessed timing was good, cleared Causeway in like 15 mins. Then wanted to try EDL but decided to check out eastern side first and happy to find out that the East Coast Coastal highway is up as well, all the way to Sierra Perdana (15mins drive) but the last stretch to Pasir Gudang still blocked. The traffic has like increased 10 x before the highway was completed. So they say, build it and they will come.

Then headed to Tebrau City and from Permas Jaya and traffic still quite bad. Thought EDL supposed to relieve traffic here?

From Tebrau, then went to Taman Laguna to try out the seafood. Unfortunately stomach starting acting up so while my family enjoyed dinner, I was off in the toilet vomitting. I like the ambience of the place though - Restoran Asli was like so super crowded so we opted for the less crowded Restoran Kah Lin. Can really see Singapore from here. Bro DOA, guess you can really row sampan home. Submarine a bit too much especially low tide, where to hide it? haha

From Taman Laguna, used the open Coastal Highway back to CIQ in 10mins and then cleared Causeway in another 15mins. Was glad that we didn't have jam both ways. Wah if everyday is like that, I might well consider commuting liao...

Its really very near, can see the 2 red HDB blocks in the distance marking Woodlands when one is there. So near yet prices differ so far. Actually we can buy boats etc here as its lower cost to maintain, etc plus no need to get license unless one is travelling out of MY waters. Jetskis have lots of retrictions though else back then, i would have got a couple to jet between SG and MY (since short distance and only mainly myself and wife back then coming out here)

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Spent my weekend being a butler and driver. Lets see:

1. Solved a friends home laptop and network issue.
2. Went to press door bell, called and closed his car boot as his wife didn't close their car boot and light was on all night.
3. Prepared car for friend but in the end he didn't need it.
4. Got call to help to find fireworks, went around the usual places but none had. Pretty bad weather today and rained
non stop. Finally after a few places, in the end, found him a 49 shot, he is probably going to light for his HK friends. Left
at his porch as it was raining and he went out.
5. Counselled a friend on jobs and helped out a little
6. Organized bank details, etc for friends buying properties, etc
7. Took sister to change car remote alarm battery and did trottle cleaning, etc. Meng even helped to tighten the trottle line, etc.
6. Driver for family to shopping, etc. Friday night there was a special on Qing Ming, mum didn't want to get down from the
car, luckily all cars equipped with TV so something interesting in the sense:

Singaporeans in a Malaysian car made in Japan, using a China made (double din) car tv with Korean attenna watching a
documentary show from Singapore.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha. Thats a good one. It's a smal small world :wink:

Bro, u r always so hectic, do u ever slow down and get enough rest? Sometimes, u even reply messages after midnight. No good for the health in the long term u know ... Helping is good but don't compromise your own health please

Last edited:

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's great bro. Nothing is better than seeing things with your own eyes, instead of just merely referring to reading materials or words of mouth. Glad it was a pleasant experience and sounds like you will join our club soon :wink:

Yea buddy looking forward to it. You are in Laguna full time already and commuting daily?

As for the Persada home fair, I thought was 3. Biggest one is Oct if I recall rightly from last year discussions. I thought there was a July one too?

Anyway very useful fair this one....example, I was impressed by Floor Depot and then across the hall, I visited Innov Floor. For similar price, I will go with latter. Know why? The more I asked the more I realised that Floor Depot mostly use Chinese imports while Innov Floor is Malaysia based using Malaysia wood, ie quality better. I would not have known that from shopping shop-to-shop without the fair.

I also agree the Teka was impressive. I figure best to buy Teka and ask contractor like Signature Kitchen to install along with their cabinets etc. Would be cheaper too. Lets share the purchasing strategies when time come closer to next one friend :smile:

rogue1109

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks bro DOA and Arsenal for the tips. Will definitely check out these places for my papaya tree. Hahaha!

Bro rogue, on top of what bro gunner has mentioned, at the east side, there is one big nursery I saw, looked very very impressive. If u drive from tesco seri alam, travel along pasir gudang highway towards plentong/permas jaya, u will see a very big nursery on your left, with a lot of amazingly crafted trees at the entrance. Try to spot it next time while u r there. I don't know the price tho.

I went into 2 of the nurseries that bro gunner mentioned. The 2 of them are located outside the casania houses, and there is a durian stall outside the nursery. The prices there are reasonably cheap.

Bro gunner, where is the 3rd place ar? Btw, why don't u rare some birds too? U can set up a room with jungle-like settings, let them fly freely, sing to each other everyday and live happily ever after, together :wink: :wink: sounds like those bed-time story... Zzzz... I'm singing a lullaby now ....

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
3rd place is near o best mart, beside a Chinese temper.. Their quality and service is best, I think...

Bro rogue, on top of what bro gunner has mentioned, at the east side, there is one big nursery I saw, looked very very impressive. If u drive from tesco seri alam, travel along pasir gudang highway towards plentong/permas jaya, u will see a very big nursery on your left, with a lot of amazingly crafted trees at the entrance. Try to spot it next time while u r there. I don't know the price tho.

I went into 2 of the nurseries that bro gunner mentioned. The 2 of them are located outside the casania houses, and there is a durian stall outside the nursery. The prices there are reasonably cheap.

Bro gunner, where is the 3rd place ar? Btw, why don't u rare some birds too? U can set up a room with jungle-like settings, let them fly freely, sing to each other everyday and live happily ever after, together :wink: :wink: sounds like those bed-time story... Zzzz... I'm singing a lullaby now ....

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yea buddy looking forward to it. You are in Laguna full time already and commuting daily?

As for the Persada home fair, I thought was 3. Biggest one is Oct if I recall rightly from last year discussions. I thought there was a July one too?

Anyway very useful fair this one....example, I was impressed by Floor Depot and then across the hall, I visited Innov Floor. For similar price, I will go with latter. Know why? The more I asked the more I realised that Floor Depot mostly use Chinese imports while Innov Floor is Malaysia based using Malaysia wood, ie quality better. I would not have known that from shopping shop-to-shop without the fair.

I also agree the Teka was impressive. I figure best to buy Teka and ask contractor like Signature Kitchen to install along with their cabinets etc. Would be cheaper too. Lets share the purchasing strategies when time come closer to next one friend :smile:

I went for the Oct fair and this one. The layout and participating merchants are very similar. I didn't see all booths but noticed some package prices are higher than Oct fair, like Classy kitchen prices have gone up - Rm3999 package is now Rm4299 etc..inflation within half year..

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just back from SEG over weekend.. the circuit breakers keeps tripping through out the night though just turn on the 2 aircons like I did all the time..
Any one had such experience before?

Google & found 3 main causes
1. Circuit overload
2. Short circuit
3. Ground fault

Dun think its overload since same appliance in use, dunno how much will it take to troubleshoot..
btw, will it help if I use a higher rated fuse?

No such experience but I think must call certified electrician to check, in case the water heater is faulty or something like that..very dangerous..

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
A great portion of the 60% are held at ransom.

As you have correctly pointed out, the worry of their assets are blocking their conscience. Naturally, this has also led to the 'not in my backyard syndrome'.

But can we blame them when the Government espouses on asset value enhancements in their policy making and propaganda.

Vote me or your property price will drop. If your mortgage is $1 million, it is a compelling motivation!

PAP is overrated by these voters. I recall before GE 2011, UOB Wee Cho Yaw was quoted as saying the poll results would have not much impact on business sector, so why should property price drop without PAP? Anyway during Asian financial crisis, SARs etc when property prices dropped like hell, all I can remember PAP saying then was these are uncontrollable factors, can't do much.

Yes, last few years they did grossly inflate the asset by mass importing people, but so easy, if it is a good and correct method why no other govt in this world do this? Afterall USA housing prices are so low now, but we don't see them mass importing people.

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear all, a Malaysian friend just got robbed last week at Taman Century. Typical robbery:- motorcyclist off engine, glides down, smashes window and grabbed her handbag at the passenger seat.

One suggestion for all bros n sis to consider is to install tinted glass in the car. First, it is supposedly harder to smash the windows (dunno how true) and secondly, potential criminals cant view the interior of the car so easily to decide if the driver is a 'gd' target. I will be getting mine done soon, for everyone's info.

PS: The police inspector was more interested in sweet talking my friend, rather than spending his energy to catch the robbers! Haiz...

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Dear all, a Malaysian friend just got robbed last week at Taman Century. Typical robbery:- motorcyclist off engine, glides down, smashes window and grabbed her handbag at the passenger seat.

One suggestion for all bros n sis to consider is to install tinted glass in the car. First, it is supposedly harder to smash the windows (dunno how true) and secondly, potential criminals cant view the interior of the car so easily to decide if the driver is a 'gd' target. I will be getting mine done soon, for everyone's info.

PS: The police inspector was more interested in sweet talking my friend, rather than spending his energy to catch the robbers! Haiz...

Thanks for sharing, thats why its always good to have tinted class or even better the knock resistant ones. On and off, we have lots of repeated guidance but i still think its good as a convenient reminder.

Best is never to leave ones handbags there in the first place. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
No such experience but I think must call certified electrician to check, in case the water heater is faulty or something like that..very dangerous..

Agree, qualified electrician to check through especially for all important points are critical.
Points to note, those apollo type of power extension where you can roll to keep the cable
in? Always ALWAYS pull it out when using especially when plugging in lots of appliances to
prevent the cables from overheating inside the confined space and being a fire hazard.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
PAP is overrated by these voters. I recall before GE 2011, UOB Wee Cho Yaw was quoted as saying the poll results would have not much impact on business sector, so why should property price drop without PAP? Anyway during Asian financial crisis, SARs etc when property prices dropped like hell, all I can remember PAP saying then was these are uncontrollable factors, can't do much.

Yes, last few years they did grossly inflate the asset by mass importing people, but so easy, if it is a good and correct method why no other govt in this world do this? Afterall USA housing prices are so low now, but we don't see them mass importing people.

Good points, i am glad that they are doing something about it now at least. Hopefully still in time.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Haha. Thats a good one. It's a smal small world :wink:

Bro, u r always so hectic, do u ever slow down and get enough rest? Sometimes, u even reply messages after midnight. No good for the health in the long term u know ... Helping is good but don't compromise your own health please

Thanks bro, will probably need to stick with normal hours as getting a bit more hectic with new baby on the way. She always nags at me for spending too much time with friends and helping others.

Status
Not open for further replies.