• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Has anyone renewed your SG passport while carrying MACS?

Can the old passport be retained with an extension instead of getting a new passport?

If a new passport has to be issued, does it invalidate the macs on the old passport and hence one would have to enter MY with the new passport without MACS just to renew the MACS?

SG passport cannot, if a new passport is issued, then you have to use the MACS. I did have a bro who used his old MACS sticker on his new passport, just tear off and use double sided tape. To be safest though, just get new MACS with the new passport.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Seems until today still have a lot of questions that were answered earlier, bros you can definitely drive a MY car using SG or even better, an international license. (Get this license from SG as its cheaper there)

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Not only on the comission part, those agents are cocky and rude. I'm not against agent but most of them, their attitude sucks big time. They think they can easily squeeze people. I dislike these kind of people.

What you said is right. After you have visit the property, you should have known the address, location etc. From there you can go straight to the land office to check the info. Just pay them the usual processing fees and then you can kick the agent goodbye. What can they do?

I'm telling you guys now that the prices in Nusajaya are overprice. All of us are buying and this leads to the push up in price by developer and owner. It does not reflect the true value with the selling price. I would say it's panic buying. Once cannot compare KL and JB. But now, it seems that JB prices are comparable and some even higher than KL. Everyone kept on saying that raw materials price kept on going up etc which leads to the increase in property price. I hope that I'm wrong. I'm afraid that in the near future, the prices will start dropping. Lets keep our fingers cross that this Iskandar thingy will be a success.

Agree, at least 90% is not so good, even those working at developers sometimes. Best is to get someone senior or reliable at the developers in my humble opinion. You will be surprised, alot of Singaporeans (being type A+ guys) will still stick to it for professional reasons.

Yes prices has gone up considerably but higher with KL or Penang, there are still some gaps. Your example of Laguna was good but my understanding was that the quota given to Singaporeans are low and those for the locals were snapped up fast even after raising prices. HH and other developments are different as they have no such quota. It normally takes at least 2 years for a bubble to form, a learned investor friend shared with me the other day so according to him, we are in the early stages of "foaming".

Its not only Singaporeans who are coming in here, there are actually lots of other nationalities, not only Singaporeans who are coming in. The Chinese(China and Hong Kong), the Japs are all coming in and especially these 2 groups can pay much more than a typical Singaporean who is mainly to look at just retiring. Actually i noticed that Koreans have been here for some time too. Recently I have seen at least 6 groups from KL buying houses here so its not only foreigners as well.

One gynae in a private hospital here (from Penang) also bought a few in the last few years and he is not alone. A trader boss (Johorean) has 11 units in HH and his relative has at least 5-6. Even some of my very learned local friends have at least 3-4 for relatives/investment. Johoreans according to my local friends do have money but there was very little opportunities for them to flex their financial muscles, until now.

Majority of Singaporeans come in, buy 1-2 units and thats it. Its investing firms from Sri Lanka, etc that have actually bought in bulk and then resold to Singaporeans/Johoreans/Other Nationalities.

I know as i bought more than 2 units from this group. I still maintain the statement i made from the very first day, buy for own stay first. Always only invest what you can afford to lose.

There are actually still a variety of housing options for the locals be it low cost, medium cost housing, etc as well as other options from the resale market. Rent remains relatively low for most types of housing and there are many parts of Johore which are still much lower in terms of pricing so there are much more options here.

I have some friends who are struggling with the many requests from well heeled friends/business associates from China who are starting to come in droves here. I myself have stopped entertaining requests from friends especially those who are here to just invest. I still hope prices remain low enough for my laggard sister and other relatives and friends to buy and retire here.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Heard something sad from a friend yesterday, he had some foreign friends as well as Singapore friends coming into Johore to look at retirement options. All the HK, etc friends came despite all the past bad press and came equipped with practical stuff like GPS, maps.

The Singaporean ones (supposedly in senior positions) came with lots of canned food/drinks, instant noodles and loads of camping equipment, "In case they got lost and cannot find food and water here" - They know the address and place they are going to go to (BUKIT INDAH) but they still think its more rural than Kota Tinggi.

They must somehow still think everyone lives on stilts and coconut trees, i truly wished him good luck with them (he is a kind bro)

One relative also recently proudly/loudly stated, "you cannot go anywhere in Johore without passing through the first link and Pelangi, even 2nd link must got through 1st link". I just smiled. Ignorance is bliss.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, u have summed it all up.

Pertaining to laguna, this is the latest I heard. 2 different local families snapped up 2 corners units that cost more than 800k each. The land size is humongous tho ... So there are indeed a lot of affluent locals, it's only a matter of whether they wanna show their muscles, their lean six packs and their toned pecs :smile:

Agree, at least 90% is not so good, even those working at developers sometimes. Best is to get someone senior or reliable at the developers in my humble opinion. You will be surprised, alot of Singaporeans (being type A+ guys) will still stick to it for professional reasons.

Yes prices has gone up considerably but higher with KL or Penang, there are still some gaps. Your example of Laguna was good but my understanding was that the quota given to Singaporeans are low and those for the locals were snapped up fast even after raising prices. HH and other developments are different as they have no such quota. It normally takes at least 2 years for a bubble to form, a learned investor friend shared with me the other day so according to him, we are in the early stages of "foaming".

Its not only Singaporeans who are coming in here, there are actually lots of other nationalities, not only Singaporeans who are coming in. The Chinese(China and Hong Kong), the Japs are all coming in and especially these 2 groups can pay much more than a typical Singaporean who is mainly to look at just retiring. Actually i noticed that Koreans have been here for some time too. Recently I have seen at least 6 groups from KL buying houses here so its not only foreigners as well.

One gynae in a private hospital here (from Penang) also bought a few in the last few years and he is not alone. A trader boss (Johorean) has 11 units in HH and his relative has at least 5-6. Even some of my very learned local friends have at least 3-4 for relatives/investment. Johoreans according to my local friends do have money but there was very little opportunities for them to flex their financial muscles, until now.

Majority of Singaporeans come in, buy 1-2 units and thats it. Its investing firms from Sri Lanka, etc that have actually bought in bulk and then resold to Singaporeans/Johoreans/Other Nationalities.

I know as i bought more than 2 units from this group. I still maintain the statement i made from the very first day, buy for own stay first. Always only invest what you can afford to lose.

There are actually still a variety of housing options for the locals be it low cost, medium cost housing, etc as well as other options from the resale market. Rent remains relatively low for most types of housing and there are many parts of Johore which are still much lower in terms of pricing so there are much more options here.

I have some friends who are struggling with the many requests from well heeled friends/business associates from China who are starting to come in droves here. I myself have stopped entertaining requests from friends especially those who are here to just invest. I still hope prices remain low enough for my laggard sister and other relatives and friends to buy and retire here.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Wuqi, you mentioned your wife is pregnant. I read somewhere that woman more than 6 months pregnant are not allowed to enter Malaysia. Is it true? If it's true, does it mean your wife have to stay in SG in her last 3 months of pregnancy to give birth?

This is mainly for air travel as most countries have that restriction especially for air travel.
My wife is more than 6 months now.

We are driving across a bridge, so far my other friends have done the same.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro, u have summed it all up.

Pertaining to laguna, this is the latest I heard. 2 different local families snapped up 2 corners units that cost more than 800k. The land size is humongous tho ... So there are indeed a lot of affluent locals, it's only a matter of wether they wanna show their muscles and their lean six packs :smile:

Some people are mistaken and blaming Singaporeans for nothing, there are so many restrictions for foreigners to buy houses here. Some misinformed friends were complaining about some houses being snapped up recently that were 400k terraces. I politely informed them that Singaporeans and other foreigners cannot buy houses below 500k and below 2 storeys but few were convinced until i showed them some print outs. Seems alot of people still think Johoreans are poor generally, i should not share too much in terms of friends privacy but more than a few owners of multiple properties in good development are locals.

On average, out of every 10 PMs i receive for help, 3-4 are from Singaporeans, 5 are from Malaysia (not only from Johore) and the rest from other nationalities including foreigners residing in Singapore. Out of the max of 4 from Singapore, at least 2 are asking for retirement or living frugally/renting. They are not even thinking of buying as some still cannot afford to. The rest are all asking for which areas to invest in or other topics. I make it a point to answer the retirement/help/living frugally/renting first whenever i can. Investment wise, i will usually reply when the first batch is cleared (my apologies to bros who PMed me, my priority is those who are in need first)

I have also seen locals and Johoreans buying cars, houses and commercial lots like nobodys business, i think their time has come, pretty impressed.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, noted the 500k threshold. But bro, don't forget that for those non-landed properties on commercial title, 500k threshold doesn't actually apply (unless I have understood wrongly from the sales agent).

Some people are mistaken and blaming Singaporeans for nothing, there are so many restrictions for foreigners to buy houses here. Some misinformed friends were complaining about some houses being snapped up recently that were 400k terraces. I politely informed them that Singaporeans and other foreigners cannot buy houses below 500k and below 2 storeys but few were convinced until i showed them some print outs. Seems alot of people still think Johoreans are poor generally, i should not share too much in terms of friends privacy but more than a few owners of multiple properties in good development are locals.

On average, out of every 10 PMs i receive for help, 3-4 are from Singaporeans, 5 are from Malaysia (not only from Johore) and the rest from other nationalities including foreigners residing in Singapore. Out of the max of 4 from Singapore, at least 2 are asking for retirement or living frugally/renting. They are not even thinking of buying as some still cannot afford to. The rest are all asking for which areas to invest in or other topics. I make it a point to answer the retirement/help/living frugally/renting first whenever i can. Investment wise, i will usually reply when the first batch is cleared (my apologies to bros who PMed me, my priority is those who are in need first)

I have also seen locals and Johoreans buying cars, houses and commercial lots like nobodys business, i think their time has come, pretty impressed.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
All thanks to the frenzied buying tats happening in Nusajaya. Kiasu Sillyporeans and Msians working in Spore...

Whoami, actually not a lot of Singaporeans ask about investing here, mainly for own stay. Only a few actually asks me of investment here.
Again its not only Singaporeans nor just Malaysians working in Singapore. Those moving out to stay for the schools, retirement as
well as internal investors are also getting properties which Singaporeans cannot buy.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Yes, noted the 500k threshold. But bro, don't forget that for those non-landed properties on commercial title, 500k threshold doesn't actually apply (unless I have understood wrongly from the sales agent).

Bro Dreamoraction, i have tried to buy them before but was told directly (and rather rudely) that i cannot buy even for condos.
Those who informed you otherwise may be mistaken. This is as if this was true, yours truly would have bought an entire floor and
named it the Wuqi floor already. :(

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup, I didn't verify further but that's what I was told. But thinking about it, the law governs the residential title. Service apartment is on commercial title, so this is a loop hole right? Unless commercial also has the same threshold of 500k?

Condos are definitely on residential title so the threshold definitely applies...

Bro Dreamoraction, i have tried to buy them before but was told directly (and rather rudely) that i cannot buy even for condos.
Those who informed you otherwise may be mistaken. This is as if this was true, yours truly would have bought an entire floor and
named it the Wuqi floor already. :(

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Exactly. Take for example a fresh graduate and a normal professional with 5-10years work experience working in JB. Salary for fresh graduate is around 2.5~3.0K. For those with 5-10years experience, they may be drawing around 4K~6K.

Do you think they can afford buying property with price around 700K above? Don't say 700K, even 500K is consider very high for those working in JB. You still have your family and kids to feed, other expenses, etc. You can't dump in 70% of your monthly income into the installment.

So, what Whoami said is VERY TRUE. Malaysians working in Spore and Singaporean's buying causes the price to increase drastically. I was told by one of my friend that 70% of the residents in Horizon Hills are Singaporean. If we can think rasionally, all these will not happen. What if one day Iskandar development and Nusajaya fail? What will happen? Look at Cyberjaya, the so called Silicon valley of Malaysia visioned by Dr. Mahathir. What happened to it now?

Let us hope that this Iskandar thingy is a success in the near future.

Agree but not all locals will want to get a 700k place as they have loads of options as i already mentioned. There are still under 500k houses like Setia Tropika that are 400k plus which Singaporeans AND other locals cannot buy.

Rationally, its not just foreigners buying/snapping up houses. There are well heeled Malaysians that are more affluent then we were led to believe, Malaysia does not consist of just Johore as well as they do have people from other states buying into Johore. There are plenty of other developments that have the 20% foreigners rule. Agree about Putrajaya/Cyberjaya but these had no real contribution or vested interests from neighbouring and not so neighbouring countries....

I would still suggest to buy for own stay but whether it succeeds or fail, it won't really affect me as i am here not for the money, if it was purely money i was after, 3 years plus back, i would have made more if i bought a condo or a landed in cash in SG(back when curiously landed was cheaper than some condos).

http://www.iproperty.com.my/propert...=&mbu=&xbu=&lo=&wp=&wv=&wa=&ht=&au=&sby=&ns=1

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh ok, I have the answer. So the agent gave me wrong info then, derrrrr

"Under the new guidelines effective 30 June 2009, FIC will only process transactions involving the dilution of Bumiputera interests and / or Government interests in properties valued at RM 20 million and above, whether bought directly or indirectly (through acquisition of companies owning properties). All other property transactions shall no longer require the approval of FIC.
Except in the event of a dilution, as stated above, foreign interests will no longer be required to apply for approval to FIC for the acquisition of properties. However, foreign interests cannot acquire properties below specified threshold limits. The threshold amounts for commercial properties will be RM 500,000. For the purchase of residential properties, the present threshold of RM 250,000 is maintained until the end of 2009, and with effect 1 January 2010, it will be RM 500,000"

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
No worries bro Dreamoraction, we are all here to learn, doesn't matter who is right or wrong as long as everyone knows the facts in the end. Too much of muddling in this world. Still remembered even the local HSBC told so many folks and forummers here that they can't get loans for houses, commercial, cars, etc. Maybe they have too much money and don't want to make? Back when they first came out here, also got agents still claiming can buy below 500k, some made my folks run around in circles as people thought agents should have the most up to date/accurate facts.

Cheers

Diaspora

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, impact will be those PRs that stays in JB but work in SG, coz SPR cannot drive MY registered cars in SG..
Also those SG businessmen that need to travel to JB on a daily basis, eg hv factory there or salesmen need to go JB to meet client..,
I know some of these ppl go thru like a couple of times a day!
Can't imagine, will be a real pain:mad: for these group of ppl.

I see another impact would be businesses will be factoring in these cost and prices of things may go up...both side of the causeway!:*: thou not a lot lah! Then again never know!!

Also bros, IF the MY gov charge SG registered cars, then what about the SG CIQ? Also charge SG registered cars only and all MY registered cars o need to pay? Or charge on MY registered cars? Tit for a tat!!

If this is really the case, I believe a lot of ppl will be screwed... Local and foreign alike...
On the other hand, will it be a smoother ride to Jb? :biggrin:

Bro, you did have a valid querry...wonder how the SG side will response if MY is to really increase the toll for SG registered vehicles. But I believe at the end of the day, prices of goods coming from MY will be increased due to this toll increase. Heck, even those bus kilang / taxi will be increasing their fares...
This is indeed stupid. There is no improvement to the causeway, so why the need to increase the toll on both sides?? Charge those who uses the EDL la...and not all the others. This is really trying to milk the cow too hard !!

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah bro. Thanks. But I got that info from setia when I was looking at ST. The unit that I looked at was above 500k, but I remember we talked about this, and he said foreigners can buy below 500k as it was commercial title. Anyway, cleared the air now, and it doesn't matter because I didn't go ahead in the end.

Btw, talking about HSBC, they are aggressive now. They are now willing to process loan request without even the need to submit an application form (well, for my case anyway). I only submitted some documents and they approved. However, if one has no fixed income, they still won't lend money by pledging FD. Other international banks do. So HSBC is still losing out on this ...

No worries bro Dreamoraction, we are all here to learn, doesn't matter who is right or wrong as long as everyone knows the facts in the end. Too much of muddling in this world. Still remembered even the local HSBC told so many folks and forummers here that they can't get loans for houses, commercial, cars, etc. Maybe they have too much money and don't want to make? Back when they first came out here, also got agents still claiming can buy below 500k, some made my folks run around in circles as people thought agents should have the most up to date/accurate facts.

Cheers

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tonight have some drinks and a bit drunk.
Spoke to a china national of 20 years. His first visit to Singapore. He thought Singapore is a heaven until he saw many old Singaporeans cleaning tables and asked me why, because all old folks in china will be given some pensions in one way or another..
Also spoke to some Singtel folks. 500 old Singtel staffs were transferred to a company called Huawei. After seeing MPs and ministers, the agreement is those above worked for Singtel more than 25 years will be given 3.5 months severance pay. Huawei will promise them no retrenchment within 1 year. After that their employability is subjected to performance. Huawei have big supply of workers and they absorb these workers because of relationship with Singtel. Basically Singtel are asking Huawei to ex these folks rather than paying them 1 year 1 month severance, for their own KPI at the excuse of working for shareholder which is mainly Temasek.. I don't mind give away my Singtel share to keep their job..

What has Singapore become, just a money churning machines for shareholders? Every countries will take care of their people. I am not talking about Greece or the PIGs because a lot of rich folks are not paying taxes..

Malaysia is always ready to suck Singaporean.. Where can we go? What the hell has our country become?

I am high.. But when see the old folks cleaning tables in golden shoes, I am glad that some one still willing to give them a job.. I am sad that if we don't take care of ourselves, we could become like them..just to survive and live in this country.. Maybe some of these old folks are graduates without jobs..

Worked more than 25 years only can get 3.5 months severance pay? That is little, last time I heard Singtel people who got golden handshake being paid one month for one year service.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, have u seen the article where the MP of Johor claimed that even the existing causeway tolls shouldn't had been in place in the first place?

Bro, you did have a valid querry...wonder how the SG side will response if MY is to really increase the toll for SG registered vehicles. But I believe at the end of the day, prices of goods coming from MY will be increased due to this toll increase. Heck, even those bus kilang / taxi will be increasing their fares...
This is indeed stupid. There is no improvement to the causeway, so why the need to increase the toll on both sides?? Charge those who uses the EDL la...and not all the others. This is really trying to milk the cow too hard !!

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went to Setia Eco Garden today and there was a few terrace units from the older precincts that are opened up for sale to international buyers. The sale price was also based on the original package with a discount from the offer price and various fees absorbed (MOT, loan, legal)

I had a look at the Liviana (http://www.spsetia.com.my/setia_eco_garden/property-for-sale-liviana.htm) on site where 2 corner units were available with nice 30-ft space for a garden. They were OK and would have committed to one of them. But I asked if there was anything else open to foriegners.

I was told there is a corner (last) unit of the Alphenor (http://www.spsetia.com.my/setia_eco_garden/property-for-sale-alphenor.htm) that is also available and immediately asked to have a look. Although it is North facing and subject to afternoon sun, the view is great. It also has about 25-ft space for a nice garden. Anyway, this unit is now no longer available because I had signed the booking form :-) Signing of SPA will be in a month's time which is great as that will likely be before any increase in the government levy that looks to be quite certain according to the sales folks from SP Setia.

Hi EDTBA,
So how much did you pay for your corner unit of Alphenor? I am in Casea Gardens which is the precinct opposite yours.
Alphneor looks to be ready for key collection in few months time.. congrats & looking fwd to cya around.. (though I am a weekender =)

For now, how abt an evening shot at the lake within the estate..
Lake.jpg

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Ok, just got an update from the good bros, from recent trends shared by a very learned bro and todays roadshow in SG, seems the Chinese are really coming in big time to properties here.

Again, treat this news as just for reference, buy mainly for own use and go for developers as much as possible.
FYI from a learned bro.

Bro!

Past performance is not an accurate indication of future results. Their govt now encouraging and restarting many failed or unsold developments as well clamping down and hard on developers that left past buyers in the lurch. This was never seen before, someone is clearly working up there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.