• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lim Swee Say: Minimum wage is an easy solution

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
This up down turner is preaching phobocracy, he has no solution. Must workers' wages continue to be suppressed indefintely just because of fear of the unknown.

If minimum wage has no bearing on the product, a luxury then you shouldnt be talking about costs and competitiveness, you seems to be contradicting yourself.

So do you have a solution? :rolleyes:

Let's say Minimum wage pegged at $3000 per month. Enough or not?

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am for minimum wage proposal. There must be courage to break the deadlock of fear and implement it. So that the lower income even the middle income can earn a decent living. $7 to $8 an hour for the lower income should be reasonably decent in my opinion

loloba

Alfrescian
Loyal
Foxconn has about 900K workers.

I think this is what Lim Swee Say meant in his interview. He want us to think beyond what happens after a minimum wage is being set

Thinking beyond?. If a company can manage rental increase yearly some as much as 30-50%. What is minimum wages compared to rental if they intend to bring in 80K foreign workers surely there would be enough jobs for our workers the problem is not that singaporean shunned these jobs, is simply they cannot survive with low pay

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
AE959F6BE6D0DEE8339E3E5546B.jpg

That's why we pappies will NEVER endorse minimum wages.
So that when we increase their rent by 30 or 50%, the company can still survive cos' they can cut and cut and cut their slave employee wages
to compensate for the rent increase mah.
Imagine if got minimum wages, the company where got spare $$ to give us the skyhigh rental?
Your think I DAFT issit?:biggrin:

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
who says PAP got no solution

the mother fuckers is flooding sinkieland with FTrash to boost GDP

So the choice for Singaporeans is:

Opposition's minimum wage which is not that high; or

PAP's displacement of Singaporeans by mass importing cheap foreign workers, bearing in mind that cheap does not mean good.

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why are you misleading people? Did the opposition ask for a minimum wage of $3000 per month? You want people to take you seriously? Have you run out of facts to argue your case that you have to resort to using misleading data?

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why are you misleading people? Did the opposition ask for a minimum wage of $3000 per month? You want people to take you seriously? Have you run out of facts to argue your case that you have to resort to using misleading data?

I am asking a simple genuine question.

$3000 per month enough or not? You just need to say enough or not enough or too much ?

Which part of my posting imply that I am saying the opposition are asking for $3000 min per month? In the 1st place its not even a data. So how can it be misleading?

At least kid278 can give a figure of $7-$8 which he think should be a decent min figure. For you, you press for MINIMUM wage but no answer as to how much the minimum should be

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Our ministers are paid $200K pm compared to less than $1K pm earned by some of our lowest paid workers - 200X diff. My economics professor once told us that if the diff between the highest and lowest paid workers is above 50X, then it points to acute income inequality. So even if it is at $3K, the diff is 67X, still high you know!

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thinking beyond?. If a company can manage rental increase yearly some as much as 30-50%. What is minimum wages compared to rental if they intend to bring in 80K foreign workers surely there would be enough jobs for our workers the problem is not that singaporean shunned these jobs, is simply they cannot survive with low pay

You guys are really very narrow minded. When Lim Swee Say said putting a minimum wage is the easiest solution out. He carried on saying think beyond what happens when there is minimum wage. No one can give an example, and I used an example of Foxconn to relate and some of you start thinking anyone who disagrees with Minimum wage is supportive of PAP.

Now let me give a local example. Anyone of you worked in Macdonald's or KFC? How much is the wages there? It's low wage isn't it? How much are you paying for a Happy Meal now? How much are your kids paying for a Happy Kid's meal? We can lobby and fight for a worker's minimum wage and companies will definitely comply with this ruling. What comes next?

Do you think a Happy Meal's price will increase? Any price increase will be at the consumers expense which is US. You and me and everyone else.

Honestly, having a minimum wage is not a big deal for most of us. We think it doesn't affect us, but it does. When there is a minimum wage it doesn't just apply to big companies/industries, it goes across board to every company and even the small ones. In fact the small companies will finish off first once they realise their earnings can no longer sustain the wages they are giving out. (of course to anticipate what you will say next, you will say they have all along been exploiting workers)

It's not a right or wrong decision. But why this Minimum Wage has been heatly debated is because it doesn't just stop when workers have their wages increased and everyone has a happy ending.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our ministers are paid $200K pm compared to less than $1K pm earned by some of our lowest paid workers - 200X diff. My economics professor once told us that if the diff between the highest and lowest paid workers is above 50X, then it points to acute income inequality. So even if it is at $3K, the diff is 67X, still high you know!

How much is your economics professor earning compared to a primary sch teacher, compared with a sec sch teacher, compared with a JC teacher, or compared with a pte tutor.

You might as well start comparing how much is a recruit soldier's allowance compared with the salary of a Brigadier General.

Ur example already showed 1 thing. Even if the Minimum wage is $3K per month, there are still people who are not going to be happy.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
You guys are really very narrow minded. When Lim Swee Say said putting a minimum wage is the easiest solution out. He carried on saying think beyond what happens when there is minimum wage. No one can give an example, and I used an example of Foxconn to relate and some of you start thinking anyone who disagrees with Minimum wage is supportive of PAP.

YOU FUCKING LYING SON OF A BITCH!

Below was what I posted to your spurious Foxconn example. KNNPCB FUCKING LYING SON OF A BITCH!

Lim Swee Say is a joker. How to take him seriously? Does he even know Economics 101? Why does he not support his statements with facts and theories? Is he too daft? Or does he think we are daft?

Your analogy is a simpleton, PAPdog reply to a very important question for society to answer. To date, almost all developed countries have minimum wages? If it were so bad why do they have it? Are they all daft? Well, they can't be because they are first world countries.

Foxconn has already raised their wages and Apple as well as other companies have continued to outsource to Foxconn. Therefore, your analogy has failed immediately.

There are other factors for companies outsourcing to Foxconn. There are other factors affecting the price of an iPhone. As the iPhone is still priced similarly before and after Foxconn raised their workers' wages, it again shows that you and your master LSS are actually making up stories and perpetuating scaremongering tactics without any truth.

There is of course a chance that prices will increase and businesses may close after minimum wage is implemented. For the latter, if a business is well managed or even marginally well managed, they should be able to continue as an on-going business entity as wages alone do not factor that much into overheads or moving costs and this is especially so in Singapore.

With regards to price increases, most goods manufactured in Singapore are sold overseas. Most of what we consume are actually imported so the direct hit on consumers may be negligible. Services, on the other hand and the F&B industry are the ones to look for price increases as these are generally consumed locally.

Further, minimum wage alone will not solve the problem of low wages for Singaporeans. It has to be supported by other programmes such as Singaporeans-first for job opportunities and a much tighter scrutiny of allowing foreign workers into the country.

The whole notion of minimum wage is to allow Singaporeans in the lower income and even middle income to earn a decent living. Implicit in this is that workers should have jobs. It is pointless then to not have job security as part of a package of programmes.

Therefore, minimum wage+job security programmes are what we need. Do you think the PAP will allow such programmes to exist?

They have always made it difficult for Singaporeans to have a decent life. Just look at how they price HDB, water, electricity and even the recent world cup fiasco and by LKY's own words, they want Singaporeans to just work and worry about paying bills and not have time for civil society activities.

They have also tied the country to promises of jobs for foreigners as part of FTAs with other countries. These FTAs opened up foreign industries to invesments by Temasek, GIC and business ventures by GLCs. As is expected, the profits from these activities is kept by the PAP government while the citizens are kept away from their CPF funds.

Given these FTAs and the PAP's ideologies on how to govern Singapore, we can not even imagine that they will enact minimum wage laws and if they do, the hourly rate will be so low that it will be worthless or they will not incorporate other supporting programmes to ensure its success.

In short, the PAP can not be vested with the power to ensure a devent living for its own citizens as it goes against their very reason for existence.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal

Your master LSS is a pathetic brained excuse for a human being. If he had any sense he would back his claims with facts. He has done none whatsoever. He is always talking rubbish and singing with his out of tune voice.

He is a shame to the whole of Singapore. In fact, I am even ashamed for his family. That is how disgustingly bad this LSS hero of yours is.

Your Foxconn example was debunked easily.

Your masters at the fascist PAP regime are only importing foreign workers to increase the housing demand thus leading to higher GDP - increasing citizens thus diluting Singaporean voters' voice at the polls.

Instead of arguing for minimum wage, we should also argue about the need for cheap labour amid high business rents and home prices. Who the fuck controls these prices if not the PAP fascist regime?

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is a shame to the whole of Singapore. In fact, I am even ashamed for his family. That is how disgustingly bad this LSS hero of yours is.

You hatred for the ruling party has blinded your judgement. Anything that they did or do is a sin. Overturning them is the only good deed left to do in this world. That's why you can no longer look at things from an objective point of view. You can continue scolding what you like. Honestly I pity you.

(Ok, you can continue your scoldings and taunts online because its the only thing you can derive satisfaction on right now) :p

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
You hatred for the ruling party has blinded your judgement. Anything that they did or do is a sin. Overturning them is the only good deed left to do in this world. That's why you can no longer look at things from an objective point of view. You can continue scolding what you like. Honestly I pity you.

(Ok, you can continue your scoldings and taunts online because its the only thing you can derive satisfaction on right now) :p

Only scums like can be both shameless and shameful to be a liar in the public eye. Even after getting caught red handed you dare to argue.

You are a lying piece of shit and everyone should know it here and everywhere you go. How shameless and shameful will you go? A person with dignity would have replied differently.

You just go around lying and trying to cheat people. I hope others here can see your lying ways. WHy shouldn't I be disgusted with lying scums like you? You may have been brought up in a lying infested home filled with lying scums and bitches and prostitutes.

But most of us here have been spared your pain. We don't need to know of your lying and diabolical ways! :oIo: :oIo: :oIo:

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is ministar without portfolio?

Nothing but talk cock person only, like a eunch in the palace, praising the Emperor each time he does a mistake.

Back to Minimum wages. It does not solve all problems in Singapore, but that will allow the people to have a decent livehood, and stopping the FTs( Low wage) is another important thing.

The basic problem is the land use and HDB cost. If there arent so much losses in Temasick, and GLC, you think there is a need for such thing as rise in GST and ERP or ballooning HDB prices?

Ask why people are not having children, not importing TRASH to make up the numbers. And many more wish to migrate or those who already left dont want to come back.

The whole situation is a time bomb, and to defuse it, you need to vote. Of cos, problems created is not solved overnite, but carefully over time and with a lot of pain.

loloba

Alfrescian
Loyal
Solution : Increase GST 2% is to help the poor
Minimum wage is to help the rich. Is so simple why so worked up LSS

pfingo

Alfrescian
Loyal
but if we impose a minimum wage of S$4 per hour for example, wouldn't that make the ah tiongs, pinoys or indians rejoice rather than us?