• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Judge won't allow questions on police discrimination

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal

Monday, 10 November 2008
Singapore Democrats

In court last Friday, Dr Chee Soon Juan queried police witness, Station Inspector Yeo Kok Leong, on why he took so long to reply to Dr Chee's application for a permit for a protest on 15 Mar 08.

Mr Yeo, OC of the Compliance Management Unit at the Police Central Division, was under cross-examination in the on-going trial of the Tak Boleh Tahan (TBT) protesters. He is in charge of processing applications for permits for assemblies and processions.

Dr Chee had made an online application on 28 Dec 07. SI Yeo did not reply until 25 Jan 08 – 28 days later. The unit had stated in its acknowledgment slip that “The normal processing time for an application is 7 working days.” (emphasis theirs)

“Was my application a normal one?” Dr Chee asked.

“This is confidential,” SI Yeo replied.

“Are you running a police department or the mafia? A simple question of whether my application is a normal one or not is shrouded in such secrecy,” Dr Chee said.

(Earlier, the SDP secretary-general had noticed that the police printout of his computerised application form, which the prosecution submitted as evidence, included his date of birth. But Dr Chee had not entered this piece of data as the online application did not ask for an applicant's birthdate.

“How did my date of birth get onto your computer printout when I did not give the information?” the SDP secretary-general enquired.

“This is confidential,” the witness replied.)

Judge Chia Wee Kiat stepped in and wanted to know the relevance of Dr Chee's question.

“When my application takes such an abnormally long time to process, surely you must be interested in knowing if it was treated normally, especially since I am part of the political opposition” Dr Chee answered.

Dr Chee explained further that he intended to show that the police had acted in bad faith and deliberately delayed replying so that there would be no time for him to appeal the decision and, if the appeal fails, take up a judicial review.

"The question of mala fide (dishonest intent) on the part of the police must surely be relevant,” Dr Chee explained. “The word 'fixed' comes to mind. Are we going to be convicted based on the machinations of the police?”

The Judge was unmoved and disallowed the question.

Dr Chee added: “Your Honour, with your ruling you are in fact encouraging the police to abuse their powers. In future instead of taking one week to reply as they stipulate why not take four weeks, eight weeks to process an application or, worse, reject the application just the day before the event?”

Lawyer and co-defendant Mr Chia Ti Lik pointed out that the DPP seemed to be very protective of the witness. Mr Chia explained that he would normally allow his opponent some leeway to establish his intent through the questions.

“By the DPP's protectiveness it almost seems as if there is intentional effort to help the police cover up the things they did and not let the public see the truth.” Mr Chia explained. “I urge you to allow the question because if the prosecution has nothing to hide, the subject will amount to nothing.”

The defendants stood up to register their unhappiness over Judge Wee's decision not to allow the defence to determine if there was political discrimination on the part of the police when it rejected the application and then dragged their feet in replying to Dr Chee.

The protesters have consistently argued that while the police allow political activities by the ruling party and its supporters, it denies such permission to the opposition. Such inequality before the law is forbidden by the Constitution. And yet judges, in this and past trials, will not allow defendants to show how the police and the Executive have been abusing their powers and politically discriminated against the opposition.

The hearing was scheduled from 23 Oct - 7 Nov. The next earliest date for its continuation will be 26 Feb 09 because some of the defendants have other trials in the coming weeks.

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just curious. In a normal court of law, can a witness refuse to reply based on confidentiality?

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just curious. In a normal court of law, can a witness refuse to reply based on confidentiality?

In a Kangaroo court "confidentiality" reigns supreme.

The fascist dictatorship has unleashed its compliant judiciary to settle its political score with the opposition.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Perhaps it pertains to national security.

Perhaps by answering how the piece of information is obtained, he would have compromised the entire information network. Moreover the identities of informants would be known. And the intentions to use the horoscope of Dr Chee to determine his intentions, character and to calculate the inauspicious day of his trial would be displayed for all to see.

Perhaps.

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal

Perhaps by answering how the piece of information is obtained, he would have compromised the entire information network. Moreover the identities of informants would be known. And the intentions to use the horoscope of Dr Chee to determine his intentions, character and to calculate the inauspicious day of his trial would be displayed for all to see.

Perhaps.

Maybe, the "confidentiality" claimed by SI Yeo is necessary in the interest of "security and public order" due to Mas Selamat's escape.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Monday, 10 November 2008
Singapore Democrats

In court last Friday, Dr Chee Soon Juan queried police witness, Station Inspector Yeo Kok Leong, on why he took so long to reply to Dr Chee's application for a permit for a protest on 15 Mar 08.

The Singapore Police Force appears to have lost complete autonomy of their role, responsibilities and functions. How can details for a normal application suddenly appear to be state secret.

Their professionalism is withering a way by the day. If they can't even explain a delay in responding by a standard that they set, how the hell can they function.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Perhaps.
Good one bro.

I also noticed that they sent a junior officer (non-commissioned rank) to answer questions relating to such sensitive applications while they sent a Deputy Supt to answer questions on video camera on a previous trial involving Chee.

Analogus (in the extreme) to a surgeon manning the reception desk and the receptionist carrying out surgery

Wisely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Singapore Police Force appears to have lost complete autonomy of their role, responsibilities and functions. How can details for a normal application suddenly appear to be state secret.

Their professionalism is withering a way by the day. If they can't even explain a delay in responding by a standard that they set, how the hell can they function.

For once I agree. What the heck, just answer the question will do. Even the usual tirade "approving SDP application will cause law & order problem" is better than saying "this is confidential". Sai!

SDP's silly part is grilling the DOB of Chee. Govt departments have the data to everyone. Chee probably made similar applications in the past and they have the record.

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal

Not only the police's credibility, if there's any left, is at stake but also that of the judge who had disallowed CSJ's question on the long delay in processing his application.

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP's silly part is grilling the DOB of Chee. Govt departments have the data to everyone. Chee probably made similar applications in the past and they have the record.

Chee made the application through the Internet and the application form did not have a column to capture his DOB. But what was intriguing is the fact that when the standard form was rejected and received by Chee it had a mysterious column that included his DOB.

Here, the obvious question is who rejected the application? Had it been just SI Yeo, the rejection would have been just a duplicate of the original application form, minus the DOB.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
For once I agree. What the heck, just answer the question will do. Even the usual tirade "approving SDP application will cause law & order problem" is better than saying "this is confidential". Sai!

Now you know why we get tagged a "police state" when a minor application ends with a "state secret". If Chee was indeed a threat to the State, they would have hauled him up to Whitely by now. Which has not been the case.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not only the police's credibility, if there's any left, is at stake but also that of the judge who had disallowed CSJ's question on the long delay in processing his application.

I agree that this judge just painted himself into a corner. Obviously its relevant, why else would you have allowed the witness to be called. Chee should have asked the SI if he could comment on any part of the applications that is not confidential. I am sure the guy will get stuck.

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree that this judge just painted himself into a corner. Obviously its relevant, why else would you have allowed the witness to be called. Chee should have asked the SI if he could comment on any part of the applications that is not confidential. I am sure the guy will get stuck.

SI Yeo's contention was that the whole process is confidential and the judge allowed it.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
SI Yeo's contention was that the whole process is confidential and the judge allowed it.
I don't think he said that. He said no to 2 different questions. I wonder if Chee asked the question. If he did, then the proceeding will be a joke.

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good one bro.

I also noticed that they sent a junior officer (non-commissioned rank) to answer questions relating to such sensitive applications while they sent a Deputy Supt to answer questions on video camera on a previous trial involving Chee.

Analogus (in the extreme) to a surgeon manning the reception desk and the receptionist carrying out surgery

Err ... Wouldn't the witness be subpoenaed by Chee instead of sent by the police department?

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chee made the application through the Internet and the application form did not have a column to capture his DOB. But what was intriguing is the fact that when the standard form was rejected and received by Chee it had a mysterious column that included his DOB.

Here, the obvious question is who rejected the application? Had it been just SI Yeo, the rejection would have been just a duplicate of the original application form, minus the DOB.

I assume the application process requires a NRIC number. We are talking about the police department here. With a NRIC, they will be able to pull any information from the government database. What's the big deal?

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think he said that. He said no to 2 different questions. I wonder if Chee asked the question. If he did, then the proceeding will be a joke.

Of course, Chee's name in the application form, address, etc are not confidential.

The point here is why did the police take almost a month to respond, despite having stated clearly in the application form that it would not take more than seven days?

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
I assume the application process requires a NRIC number. We are talking about the police department here. With a NRIC, they will be able to pull any information from the government database. What's the big deal?

What we are talking about is how did Chee's date of birth gotten on to the application form, the original of which that Chee submitted through the Internet did not contain a column for his DOB?

The big deal is that, it was not SI Yeo, a junior officer who had purportedly rejected the application but someone else hiding behind poor SI Yeo.