• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Iswaran sentence …

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember Iswaran vowing to clear his name and confidently declaring his innocence. However, he capitulated in court so quickly and admitted to 4 charges of obtaining valuable items from Ong BS and David Lum from Lum Chang Holdings. Iswaran also admitted to 1 charge of obstructing the course of justice. So on top of being greedy, he is also a liar.
He said that before David lum surrendered? If yes means he knew he cannot run away if the rest didn't cooperated with him.

jw5

Loyal
I remember Iswaran vowing to clear his name and confidently declaring his innocence. However, he capitulated in court so quickly and admitted to 4 charges of obtaining valuable items from Ong BS and David Lum from Lum Chang Holdings. Iswaran also admitted to 1 charge of obstructing the course of justice. So on top of being greedy, he is also a liar.

If you read Iswaran's statement after he was sentenced and decided not to appeal, it appears that he feels he did clear his name relating to the corruption charges. He has maintained to this day that he was not corrupt, i.e. he did not accept money or favours from anyone and gave them benefits in return, which may or may not be detrimental to Singapore. He is saying that there was no quid pro quo relating to the corruption charges. :cool:

As for the other charges, he and his lawyers could eventually decided not to defend against them, because they were obviously undeniable. :wink::eek::biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Questions,

1. Did Iswaran skip NS & became a New Citizen, in the past ?

2. Wasn't he the key Manager who schemed the Purchase of Shin Corp, which led to the downfall of Taksin, during the early days ?

3. Any Pics of His Children ?

...One suspects his early "Guilty" Plea, is to save others from being eventually revealed during the course of the Trial

The "Wrong Facing" LED Display at the West Coast CC, is a sign of many other Suspicious Projects done,....

The Odors of Corruption still Lingers,.....

I am also interested in the answer to your first question. :tongue:

Hence did some research online and found this interesting article. Does not answer your question comprehensively, but based on the article's timeline, my deduction is that since he was born in India, he is a new citizen, but I think he did serve NS. :unsure::o-o::biggrin:

https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/digitised/article/straitstimes19911201-1.2.42.2?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why David Lum no kena charged?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
A Correctly enunciated English is not like this. It should be something like how LHL LKY speaks.
This is neither an amdk accent.
It's like trying to be amdk yet not amdk and ended up with singing tunes. Abit close to a radio dj talk yet is not.
Overall it becomes a mix vege English.

LHL still injects sinkie pronunciations into his words eg the word "changed" should be pronounced as in "chain" but LHL says it more like "chair".

Sinkies are terrible at vowel sounds and only the best sinkies are able to get their vowels right especially when it comes to "a".

Most say "kek" instead of "cake" etc. When you pronounce "a" correctly sinkies then say "jiak gantang" but it is nothing more than proper English instead of the usual pidgin which we hear all the time.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, the article I attached says that he left NJC in 1980 with 5 distinctions in GCE A Level. :biggrin:

But doesn't say where and when he served NS or when he became a Singaporean. Based on the timeline, I think he did serve NS. :wink:
He was awarded a Colombo Plan Scholarship, and graduated from a university in Australia.
May be he served NS, when he returned to Singapore. He probably went to OCS, and possibly 14 SMC.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
The majority of sinkies are not able able to pronounce "th".

Hence three becomes tree, think becomes tink, thick becomes tick, thunder becomes tander, they becomes dey, the becomes der. Duh!:biggrin:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The majority of sinkies are not able able to pronounce "th".

Hence three becomes tree, think becomes tink, thick becomes tick, thunder becomes tander, they becomes dey, the becomes der. Duh!:biggrin:
Unfortunately, even several scholars are unable to speak proper English, with a neutral and more pleasant accent.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
The charges has been watered down. From a corruption case to accepting gift.
PAP also give a single cell for Iswaran sentences.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you read Iswaran's statement after he was sentenced and decided not to appeal, it appears that he feels he did clear his name relating to the corruption charges. He has maintained to this day that he was not corrupt, i.e. he did not accept money or favours from anyone and gave them benefits in return, which may or may not be detrimental to Singapore. He is saying that there was no quid pro quo relating to the corruption charges. As for the other charges, he and his lawyers could eventually decided not to defend against them, because they were obviously undeniable.
So we agree that Iswaran did not clear his name as far as dishonestly accepting gifts when he knew that he should not have done so as a minister.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The charges has been watered down. From a corruption case to accepting gift.
PAP also give a single cell for Iswaran sentences.
Dun harp on the single cell it’s quite common even plebians get them.
I take issue with why no fine and no confiscation of the gifts or restitution. End up he still benefited from the crime

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun harp on the single cell it’s quite common even plebians get them. I take issue with why no fine and no confiscation of the gifts or restitution. End up he still benefited from the crime
The judge criticised Iswaran for not returning the benefits he had received earlier, despite acknowledging his voluntary disgorgement. The judge emphasised that the harm caused to public trust and confidence cannot be fully rectified by these actions alone. While Iswaran's repayment of costs associated with the Doha trip and F1 Green Room tickets was considered reasonable, the judge argued that he should have disgorged all benefits at an earlier stage of the proceedings.