• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is it so difficult to return tray with left over food at drop-off points?

ChannelG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still seeing the young and old people leaving their plates and left over food on table and simply walking away after having their meals at west coast food centre. So difficult to bring them to the drop- off points meh? Is it due to psychological factors that prevented them from doing simple act like this. Imaging the frustration of having to look for a cleared table during peak hours and the hard work of old cleaners having to move around to clear the tables with demanding work conditions and how dusgusting when foods are cleared right in front of you in the moving carts beside your table while having meals. Wonder how long will it take to see mindset changed and convince that it is not a matter of who is paid to do the job. I thought most have travelled to places like Japan etc and understood the good sense of this social behaviour. By the way, it will not result in unemployment of our dear old uncles and aunties who are still being deployed to do the cleaning and sorting of bowls etc at the dro-off points and we should see this as a favour to them.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's just their sinkie mentality to only care about themselves and of course their self entitled attitude cos they are senior citizens.

Chloe

Alfrescian
Loyal
If pap change their mindset and be more gracious, i believe it will have better effect!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Still seeing the young and old people leaving their plates and left over food on table and simply walking away after having their meals at west coast food centre. So difficult to bring them to the drop- off points meh? Is it due to psychological factors that prevented them from doing simple act like this. Imaging the frustration of having to look for a cleared table during peak hours and the hard work of old cleaners having to move around to clear the tables with demanding work conditions and how dusgusting when foods are cleared right in front of you in the moving carts beside your table while having meals. Wonder how long will it take to see mindset changed and convince that it is not a matter of who is paid to do the job. I thought most have travelled to places like Japan etc and understood the good sense of this social behaviour. By the way, it will not result in unemployment of our dear old uncles and aunties who are still being deployed to do the cleaning and sorting of bowls etc at the dro-off points and we should see this as a favour to them.

We don't want to be reminded of SAF cookhouse days.

You have employees in the hawker centres; you jolly well let them clear and clean the tables. You don't expect people to clear their own tables at a proper restaurant. That would be impolite.

And why do so many oldies work in those jobs? Could it be because they don't have enough money to retire in this high inflation shithole? And they're desperate enough to cling onto a job with long hours and shit wages?

P.S: It seems that YOU have not been to Japan.

P.P.S: I hope you're not working for NEA, Vivian Balakrishnan or some other govt scum who keeps harping on the 'clear your own trays' agenda.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a senior myself, I often allow the old uncles and aunties to help themselves to my tray. It gives them a sense of security that their jobs are not being "restructured" by this movement, good though it may be.

NoOnEsAwMe

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it is compulsory to clear my trays here, I will just go to another place where I do not have to clear my trays.

From a commercial view, the contractor in charge of supplying the cleaning staff for the eateries/hawker centres will benefit by being able to employ fewer staff (because people are now clearing their own trays) and at the same time increase their charges year after year on whatever grounds they can find to justify, increase in rent/operating costs, etc.

C'mon the so-called "social norm" overseas is not the social norm here. This is Singapore. Stop using overseas benchmarks like the government.

I'm sick and tired of hearing all these social norms things and social etiquette, etc.

Just think of all the vested interests or the individual interests of those concerned, and the picture will be clearer.

Just like the stupid green movement by supermarkets to use disposable plastic bags.
I bet they know that the housewives and families already recycle these bags - they are used to contain and dispose everyday rubbish at home.
Not supplying them means lower cost for the supermarket and more business for the plastic bag-sellers (those selling ready-packed garbage bags). whatever the story, it is a lose-situation for a normal shopper.

NoOnEsAwMe

Alfrescian
Loyal
ChannelG was reg in Jan 2013 and 37 posts.

I'm not guessing his motivations.

We don't want to be reminded of SAF cookhouse days.

You have employees in the hawker centres; you jolly well let them clear and clean the tables. You don't expect people to clear their own tables at a proper restaurant. That would be impolite.

And why do so many oldies work in those jobs? Could it be because they don't have enough money to retire in this high inflation shithole? And they're desperate enough to cling onto a job with long hours and shit wages?

P.S: It seems that YOU have not been to Japan.

P.P.S: I hope you're not working for NEA, Vivian Balakrishnan or some other govt scum who keeps harping on the 'clear your own trays' agenda.

songsongpunggol

Alfrescian
Loyal
singaporeans still can't get rid of the being served mentality.

a country with higher quality of people will serve others more instead of wanting to be served.

we still have a long way to go to educate our children to do such things.

would be nice to know if hawker centers practices self clearing trays. that is a nice place to bring your kids and learn.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singaporeans still can't get rid of the being served mentality.

a country with higher quality of people will serve others more instead of wanting to be served.

we still have a long way to go to educate our children to do such things.

No shit, many stalls in hawker centres are already SELF-SERVICE - you bring the food to your table.

How much more do we have to stoop to prove some silly notion put forth by bureaucrats that 'we are a gracious society'?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do not return trays just because pappies say so.
Treat it as doing your part of civil disobedience.
Show pappies the middle finger!

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't give a fark what the social norms in other countries. I don't see why I help others keep cost down when there no saving for me. Knn, already self service, now must clear utensils. So washing utensils next? Ptui...

Last edited:

songsongpunggol

Alfrescian
Loyal
still got appetite when you see this?

IMG_1496.jpg

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
What we should change is the mentality of those HDB types who think there are always the cleaners who will pick up after them. They check their letterboxes, and then simply leave an unsightly trail of marketing and sales flyers, brochures, pamphlets...behind from the letterbox to inside the elevators. I also come across empty cups and styrofoam containers left in the lifts, balanced nicely on the rail. What they told their children - never mind, lah boy boy, dont dirty yr hands, got cleaners to take care of it.

Surely preventing this habit has more dividends than removing trays, wouldnt it? If you pick up after yrselves, you need less Banglas and therefore less foreginers!

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

it is due to your sinkie govt telling others what they should do and if not obeyed, they will be punished. And people will not give a shit to such "Lord over you" rule.

You want a graceful society, then throw out your sinkie govt.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
still got appetite when you see this?

View attachment 9002

I don't see any tray in the picture, do you?

So what, are we going to clear the mess and wipe the tables too? :rolleyes:

The workers in that hawker centre are incompetent and/or lazy. Go complain to the twits in charge of running that hawker centre.

Over here, they are on standby and look at the people finishing their food like a vulture looks at a dying animal.

kickmehard

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is due to your sinkie govt telling others what they should do and if not obeyed, they will be punished. And people will not give a shit to such "Lord over you" rule.

You want a graceful society, then throw out your sinkie govt.

Predictable this guy.

ChannelG

Alfrescian
Loyal
ChannelG was reg in Jan 2013 and 37 posts.

I'm not guessing his motivations.

Thanks for all the different views and realise that the complexity of the issues associated with it. We
Will leave it to the next generation to shape the commonly acceptable societal norms then.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe sinkie would gladly return trays if the cost of the food in food court is reduced :wink: People already very tulan about paying so much still expect people to clear tray meh.. u say lah

Last edited: