• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Influenza deaths in Singapore occur mainly in the elderly too... no different from the covid-19 virus

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This backs up what I have been saying all along. If you are healthy and not over 60 your chances of dying from the corona virus is no higher than from seasonal influenza strains.

All this drama is nothing more than the media sensationalizing what would otherwise be a slow news period.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/security/library/report/2006/05-0826.htm

We observed that the proportion of influenza-associated deaths was higher among the elderly. The annual influenza-associated proportion of deaths from all causes was 11.3 times higher in persons age >65 years (167.8/100,000 person-years) than in the general population (14.8/100,000). For influenza-associated underlying P&I deaths, the annual death rate in those >65 years (46.9/100,000) was 16.2 times higher than those in the general population (2.9/100,000) (Table 5).

horny

Alfrescian
Loyal
japan and korean have cold seasons too.i never heard of virus spreading from there??

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
japan and korean have cold seasons too.i never heard of virus spreading from there??

That's because that sort of news does not attract attention and clicks so the media does not bother to report this sort of nitty gritty.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not only the paranoai, but also media fatigue.

Tipping point for many countries (outside Europe)?

horny

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's because that sort of news does not attract attention and clicks so the media does not bother to report this sort of nitty gritty.
the ang mo virus that kill many did not spread to other countries,did they?

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
This backs up what I have been saying all along. If you are healthy and not over 60 your chances of dying from the corona virus is no higher than from seasonal influenza strains.

All this drama is nothing more than the media sensationalizing what would otherwise be a slow news period.

We observed that the proportion of influenza-associated deaths was higher among the elderly. The annual influenza-associated proportion of deaths from all causes was 11.3 times higher in persons age >65 years (167.8/100,000 person-years) than in the general population (14.8/100,000). For influenza-associated underlying P&I deaths, the annual death rate in those >65 years (46.9/100,000) was 16.2 times higher than those in the general population (2.9/100,000) (Table 5).
So what you're saying is the entire world has been misled. This hysteria is caused by the media and that no one should even bother to give Covid-19 the time of day? And this is the biggest con in modern times?

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its WHO organisation that is issuing travel warnings.
And due to corporate health, safety, security and environment policy, no business travel for employees based on the guidelines.

CPTMiller

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is correct.
The young and old are more risky

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Diff between COVID & Influenza is you buy coffin for one, and only flu shot for the other.

There are vaccines available for flu and yet flu kills about about half a million people a year worldwide. That's how deadly flu can be.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
So what you're saying is the entire world has been misled. This hysteria is caused by the media and that no one should even bother to give Covid-19 the time of day? And this is the biggest con in modern times?

It is not exactly a con. But it is the magnitude of the severity that people have been conned into.

Like I said in another thread we should start screening for BOTH covid19 and influenza. And then post the numbers for BOTH covid19 and influenza on a daily basis. See how many new cases. How many deaths etc. Let the people have something to compare against. Something familiar. Nobody goes around thinking the world is going to end and stock up on toilet paper when we talk about influenza do we?

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
It is not exactly a con. But it is the magnitude of the severity that people have been conned into.

Like I said in another thread we should start screening for BOTH covid19 and influenza. And then post the numbers for BOTH covid19 and influenza on a daily basis. See how many new cases. How many deaths etc. Let the people have something to compare against. Something familiar. Nobody goes around thinking the world is going to end and stock up on toilet paper when we talk about influenza do we?
I get what you're saying.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the ang mo virus that kill many did not spread to other countries,did they?
the first flu virus originated in china in a pig (swine) farm that shared the pond with ducks and geese (avian). wild migratory birds such as shore birds passed their viruses to ducks and geese and domesticated fowls then to pigs (the more lethal type a). it eventually and inevitably jumped to farmers (human). without cohabitation of fowl and pigs and humans, it's extremely difficult for the flu virus to jump from species to species, let alone the unique combo of bird to swine to human. in the flu genome the combo of swine, avian, human genetic components can be distinctly identified. problem with flu is that it mutates every cold or winter season to counter or find a way around immunities and defenses that have come up to protect the victim in the prior season. unless covid mutates into a more virulent and potent form each year, flu is still the greatest viral threat to humans as a once in a lifetime deadly combo mutation such as in 1918 can wipe out tens of millions of humans with weakened immune systems.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
When I was a kid I used to think that once the world population was literate and educated and had been taught the science behind how the world works and how things happen we would all become more rational and logical in our approach to life.

How wrong I was. Paranoia still reigns supreme and I guess it is because the no matter what we do it cannot alter the 80/20 rule. The majority of the human population just don't have what it takes to analyse situations in a logical matter.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
When I was a kid I used to think that once the world population was literate and educated and had been taught the science behind how the world works and how things happen we would all become more rational and logical in our approach to life.

How wrong I was. Paranoia still reigns supreme and I guess it is because the no matter what we do it cannot alter the 80/20 rule. The majority of the human population just don't have what it takes to analyse situations in a logical matter.

And you have anti-vaxxers. Also people who believe the world is FLAT.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Any disease that can kill you should be taken seriously.

I take flu seriously. I go for my quadrivalent flu shots without fail annually.

I have had my shingles shot in the past and when a new and better vaccine was developed I had another shot. Have you had a the shingles vaccine? If you haven't you should do so asap as you can go blind from a shingles attack if occurs on the face. Being blind is worse than being dead in my opinion.

I have had a pneumonia shot too.

I have also had my tetanus, whooping cough shots.

During the flu season I have a hand sanitiser in my car which I use whenever I get into my vehicle after having lunch, shopping at supermart etc. I also wash my hands regularly. I've been doing this for the past 2 decades.

HOWEVER none of these diseases has paralysed my life, made me scared to go out or scared to travel, constantly worrying etc. I do what I can to mitigate the risks and carry on enjoying life to the full.

All I'm doing is putting things into perspective. I don't encourage you to ignore the corona virus. All you need to do is to take the same measures that I take to avoid the flu as much as possible and get on with leading a fulfilling life. You only have one life to live and you're going to die anyway so why stress yourself out and make your short life a miserable one?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Any disease that can kill you should be taken seriously.

I take flu seriously. I go for my quadrivalent flu shots without fail annually.

I have had my shingles shot in the past and when a new and better vaccine was developed I had another shot. Have you had a the shingles vaccine? If you haven't you should do so asap as you can go blind from a shingles attack if occurs on the face. Being blind is worse than being dead in my opinion.

I have had a pneumonia shot too.

I have also had my tetanus, whooping cough shots.

During the flu season I have a hand sanitiser in my car which I use whenever I get into my vehicle after having lunch, shopping at supermart etc. I also wash my hands regularly. I've been doing this for the past 2 decades.

HOWEVER none of these diseases has paralysed my life, made me scared to go out or scared to travel, constantly worrying etc. I do what I can to mitigate the risks and carry on enjoying life to the full.

All I'm doing is putting things into perspective. I don't encourage you to ignore the corona virus. All you need to do is to take the same measures that I take to avoid the flu as much as possible and get on with leading a fulfilling life. You only have one life to live and you're going to die anyway so why stress yourself out and make your short life a miserable one?

Depends on your age. There is no vaccine for Covid19 yet.

And we know that the mortality rate among the more vulnerable elderly population is much higher.

So if you are old and frail, you might want to wait it out for a bit? Especially if you are afraid of dying. Having said that it is a personal choice of course. At an advanced age you could die of a variety of things tomorrow anyway.

So you could think of it as just letting nature take its course.

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Just for y'all amusement or contemplation :

The Catalysts are streamed to us on purpose for our Polarizations, simply put without 'sufferings' there's no growth.

https://www.wanttoknow.info/secret_societies/hidden_hand_081018