• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Influenza deaths in Singapore occur mainly in the elderly too... no different from the covid-19 virus

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Any disease that can kill you should be taken seriously.

I take flu seriously. I go for my quadrivalent flu shots without fail annually.

I have had my shingles shot in the past and when a new and better vaccine was developed I had another shot. Have you had a the shingles vaccine? If you haven't you should do so asap as you can go blind from a shingles attack if occurs on the face. Being blind is worse than being dead in my opinion.

I have had a pneumonia shot too.

I have also had my tetanus, whooping cough shots.

During the flu season I have a hand sanitiser in my car which I use whenever I get into my vehicle after having lunch, shopping at supermart etc. I also wash my hands regularly. I've been doing this for the past 2 decades.

HOWEVER none of these diseases has paralysed my life, made me scared to go out or scared to travel, constantly worrying etc. I do what I can to mitigate the risks and carry on enjoying life to the full.

All I'm doing is putting things into perspective. I don't encourage you to ignore the corona virus. All you need to do is to take the same measures that I take to avoid the flu as much as possible and get on with leading a fulfilling life. You only have one life to live and you're going to die anyway so why stress yourself out and make your short life a miserable one?
Yes I understand and agree with your approach. Do all that you can, and continue to live life as normal as possible. I don't think I've had the shingles shot. In fact, I do not have a lot of shots! So it's a matter of time before something gets me and sends me to Mandai Crematorium.

You've had all the vaccine shots because they are available. So you have peace of mind, and your body has immunity to most nasties. I am sure many people have had the shots you mentioned too. The main issue now is people do not have immunity to this new virus, and a vaccine may be many months away. Hence, the deep concern. This concern is not unwarranted.

It certainly does not help that Johns Hopkins has estimated that at present, the mortality rate of Covid-19 is higher than that of most strains of the flu. And we do not have the anti-bodies or vaccine to mitigate the risks that this virus bring. But given time, and the fact that Covid-19 is here to stay, it'll just be another flu virus.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You've had all the vaccine shots because they are available. So you have peace of mind, and your body has immunity to most nasties. I am sure many people have had the shots you mentioned too. The main issue now is people do not have immunity to this new virus, and a vaccine may be many months away. Hence, the deep concern. This concern is not unwarranted.

I don't have peace of mind because no vaccine is 100% effective. In some years the flu vaccine is only 20% effective so there is always a possibility I'll die from influenza. I don't feel safe I just don't dwell on it. I put it to the back of my mind and concentrate on things which provide me with a sense of purpose.

While there are vaccines available for influenza and are FREE in NZ and may other countries you'd be surprised how many don't bother to get vaccinated. This is because the term "flu" does not strike fear in everyone the way the coronavirus is doing thanks to the media coverage.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This backs up what I have been saying all along. If you are healthy and not over 60 your chances of dying from the corona virus is no higher than from seasonal influenza strains.
That is not the point. The point is, such scare tactic is good to dilute the movement of human traffics in an over-populated country like Singapore. It stops the flow of influx of foreigners trash coming in, made space for our people to breath, encourage working from home, prepare the country for real defense, made our leaders work hard and brought hygiene back to the table. There is so much take away through induced FEARS. If nobody is panicky, I worried for Singapore. I miss the old Singapore charm, and that is more important than the fear of death through stupid convit-19. You clearly undestood that induced fear is good for singapore right?