• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In 1986, PSLE Holder Can Make $2k. Why So Much Less Now?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While the ministers' pay are simply out of the world! What has gone wrong?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Sep 14, 2008
me & my money
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>Curry puff boss has small appetite for risk
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><TR>Old Chang Kee's CEO is cautious in business, investment and personal spending </TR><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Lorna Tan, Finance Correspondent
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_SUNTIMES_1_CURRENT_CHANG.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Mr William Lim (left), CEO of Old Chang Kee, with his uncle and chairman Han Keen Juan. Their curry puff chain is now a public-listed entity. -- BT FILE PHOTO
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->It is not surprising that the chief executive of food and beverage group Old Chang Kee, Mr William Lim, 48, considers the curry puff chain as his best investment. Few people know that his association with the chain began in 1986 when he gave $5,000 to his uncle Han Keen Juan, 57, as seed money to kick-start the business.
Back then, Mr Lim was an office equipment sales representative at Canon, earning just over $2,000 a month.
<TABLE width=200 align=left valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD class=padr8><!-- Vodcast --><!-- Background Story --><STYLE type=text/css> #related .quote {background-color:#E7F7FF; padding:8px;margin:0px 0px 5px 0px;} #related .quote .headline {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px;font-weight:bold; border-bottom:3px double #007BFF; color:#036; text-transform:uppercase; padding-bottom:5px;} #related .quote .text {font-size:11px;color:#036;padding:5px 0px;} </STYLE>Focus on core business
'I am a conservative investor. I became kiasu because I have seen some of my friends losing money when they invest in ventures outside their core businesses. So I believe in focusing on what I do, which is the Old Chang Kee business. For my personal investments, I delegate them to a financial adviser.' - MR WILLIAM LIM, on his financial planning Steady growth
When you have money, you must know how to grow it. I want to grow mine steadily. - On his investment philosophy

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>After Mr Han bought over the first curry puff stall in a Mackenzie Road coffee shop opposite Rex cinema in 1986 from original owner Chang Chuan Boon, he proceeded to build a retail empire called Old Chang Kee and became its chairman.
Now, the group sells an average of 35,000 curry puffs daily and this is on top of its other 26 products like sotong balls, breaded prawns and gyoza. Today, the chain boasts 69 outlets here and another 11 in Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines and China.
Old Chang Kee became a public listed entity in January this year. Based on the last traded price of 22 cents per share last Tuesday, Mr Lim's 6.84 million Old Chang Kee shares are worth $1.5 million.
Not bad for someone whose St Andrew's Secondary School report book was usually awash in red ink. He failed his O levels and was a car mechanic apprentice before he enlisted for national service.
It was his stint at Canon that made him realise the importance of education. He saved some money, borrowed another $70,000 from his parents and, at age 31, left Singapore to continue his studies in Australia. After four years, he returned with a bachelor's degree in commerce in 1994 from Curtin University in Perth.
The following year, he joined Old Chang Kee as the general manager and became its chief executive five years ago. A bachelor, Mr Lim lives with his parents and his labrador which is named 4D so that his Hokkien-speaking mother can pronounce it with ease. Q: What are your money habits?

I do not splurge. I am cautious with my money. Once you have been overseas, you would understand the difficulty of managing money on a limited budget. When I was studying in Perth, I bought a car for A$7,000 and used it for four years. After that, I managed to sell it for A$5,000.
I have the habit of paying myself first. My target is to save half of my earnings and invest it. I have three credit cards and I pay my bills in full every month.
Q: What financial planning have you done for yourself?
I am a conservative investor. I became kiasu because I have seen some of my friends losing money when they invest in ventures outside their core businesses. So I believe in focusing on what I do, which is the Old Chang Kee business. For my personal investments, I delegate them to a financial adviser.
My personal investments comprise insurance, bonds, currencies and shares which are mostly Old Chang Kee shares. I have some money parked with a few banks and they are invested in 10-year capital-guaranteed funds. For currencies, I invest in Aussie and New Zealand dollars. I also own some structured deposits.
Q: What about insurance planning?
I started buying insurance after I returned to Singapore from Perth in 1985. I own whole life, term, endowment and hospital and surgical insurance plans. I view the premiums as forced savings for me. My aim then was to accumulate a surrender value of about $200,000 when I reach 50. My annual premiums amount to about $12,000.
Q: Any other investments, for example, in property, other businesses, and so on?
Late last year, I bought a two-bedroom, 1,153 sq ft condominium unit in East Coast Road for $980,000. It will be ready for rental next year.
Q: Moneywise, what were your growing-up years like?
I am from a family of six. We grew up in a rented shophouse in Serangoon Road where my father used to run his photography business. My mum was a housewife. They were pretty conservative with money. My parents used to tell us that earning money was hard and they ensured that I saved something from my pocket allowance. However, as I am the only son, I was more pampered than my siblings when it came to receiving their attention, gifts, toys and clothes. When I was 28, we moved to a semi-detached home.
Q: What is your investment philosophy?
When you have money, you must know how to grow it. I want to grow mine steadily.
Q: What has been a bad investment?
In 1995, I invested my CPF savings in some non-performing shares and to date my paper loss is about $10,000.
Q: What's your retirement plan?
To work as long as I can and save enough for retirement. I estimate that I would need $5,000 monthly when I retire.

=> Any other answer would be politically incorrect and risk his curry bao licence being revoked by the Familee?

Q: And your home now is...
A three-storey semi-detached house in Bukit Timah where I live with my parents. It was bought in 1971.
Q: And your car is?
My company car is a black Mercedes CLK200. [email protected]

Man in the streets

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiang Kee curry puffs will be replaced by PRC puffs one day soon ( 50cents per piece). Chiang kee bosses will join the 66% to buy Totos and 4D for a sinkapore dream.

PAP Baboons and Monkey Familee monkeys have residual out-of -sinkapore incomes (pay forever) even they hiphop for Chingay.

Chiang Kee how to compare PAP baboons .

While the ministers' pay are simply out of the world! What has gone wrong?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Sep 14, 2008
me & my money
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>Curry puff boss has small appetite for risk
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><TR>Old Chang Kee's CEO is cautious in business, investment and personal spending </TR><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Lorna Tan, Finance Correspondent
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_SUNTIMES_1_CURRENT_CHANG.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Mr William Lim (left), CEO of Old Chang Kee, with his uncle and chairman Han Keen Juan. Their curry puff chain is now a public-listed entity. -- BT FILE PHOTO
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->It is not surprising that the chief executive of food and beverage group Old Chang Kee, Mr William Lim, 48, considers the curry puff chain as his best investment. Few people know that his association with the chain began in 1986 when he gave $5,000 to his uncle Han Keen Juan, 57, as seed money to kick-start the business.
Back then, Mr Lim was an office equipment sales representative at Canon, earning just over $2,000 a month.
<TABLE width=200 align=left valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD class=padr8><!-- Vodcast --><!-- Background Story --><STYLE type=text/css> #related .quote {background-color:#E7F7FF; padding:8px;margin:0px 0px 5px 0px;} #related .quote .headline {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px;font-weight:bold; border-bottom:3px double #007BFF; color:#036; text-transform:uppercase; padding-bottom:5px;} #related .quote .text {font-size:11px;color:#036;padding:5px 0px;} </STYLE>Focus on core business
'I am a conservative investor. I became kiasu because I have seen some of my friends losing money when they invest in ventures outside their core businesses. So I believe in focusing on what I do, which is the Old Chang Kee business. For my personal investments, I delegate them to a financial adviser.' - MR WILLIAM LIM, on his financial planning Steady growth
When you have money, you must know how to grow it. I want to grow mine steadily. - On his investment philosophy

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>After Mr Han bought over the first curry puff stall in a Mackenzie Road coffee shop opposite Rex cinema in 1986 from original owner Chang Chuan Boon, he proceeded to build a retail empire called Old Chang Kee and became its chairman.
Now, the group sells an average of 35,000 curry puffs daily and this is on top of its other 26 products like sotong balls, breaded prawns and gyoza. Today, the chain boasts 69 outlets here and another 11 in Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines and China.
Old Chang Kee became a public listed entity in January this year. Based on the last traded price of 22 cents per share last Tuesday, Mr Lim's 6.84 million Old Chang Kee shares are worth $1.5 million.
Not bad for someone whose St Andrew's Secondary School report book was usually awash in red ink. He failed his O levels and was a car mechanic apprentice before he enlisted for national service.
It was his stint at Canon that made him realise the importance of education. He saved some money, borrowed another $70,000 from his parents and, at age 31, left Singapore to continue his studies in Australia. After four years, he returned with a bachelor's degree in commerce in 1994 from Curtin University in Perth.
The following year, he joined Old Chang Kee as the general manager and became its chief executive five years ago. A bachelor, Mr Lim lives with his parents and his labrador which is named 4D so that his Hokkien-speaking mother can pronounce it with ease. Q: What are your money habits?

I do not splurge. I am cautious with my money. Once you have been overseas, you would understand the difficulty of managing money on a limited budget. When I was studying in Perth, I bought a car for A$7,000 and used it for four years. After that, I managed to sell it for A$5,000.
I have the habit of paying myself first. My target is to save half of my earnings and invest it. I have three credit cards and I pay my bills in full every month.
Q: What financial planning have you done for yourself?
I am a conservative investor. I became kiasu because I have seen some of my friends losing money when they invest in ventures outside their core businesses. So I believe in focusing on what I do, which is the Old Chang Kee business. For my personal investments, I delegate them to a financial adviser.
My personal investments comprise insurance, bonds, currencies and shares which are mostly Old Chang Kee shares. I have some money parked with a few banks and they are invested in 10-year capital-guaranteed funds. For currencies, I invest in Aussie and New Zealand dollars. I also own some structured deposits.
Q: What about insurance planning?
I started buying insurance after I returned to Singapore from Perth in 1985. I own whole life, term, endowment and hospital and surgical insurance plans. I view the premiums as forced savings for me. My aim then was to accumulate a surrender value of about $200,000 when I reach 50. My annual premiums amount to about $12,000.
Q: Any other investments, for example, in property, other businesses, and so on?
Late last year, I bought a two-bedroom, 1,153 sq ft condominium unit in East Coast Road for $980,000. It will be ready for rental next year.
Q: Moneywise, what were your growing-up years like?
I am from a family of six. We grew up in a rented shophouse in Serangoon Road where my father used to run his photography business. My mum was a housewife. They were pretty conservative with money. My parents used to tell us that earning money was hard and they ensured that I saved something from my pocket allowance. However, as I am the only son, I was more pampered than my siblings when it came to receiving their attention, gifts, toys and clothes. When I was 28, we moved to a semi-detached home.
Q: What is your investment philosophy?
When you have money, you must know how to grow it. I want to grow mine steadily.
Q: What has been a bad investment?
In 1995, I invested my CPF savings in some non-performing shares and to date my paper loss is about $10,000.
Q: What's your retirement plan?
To work as long as I can and save enough for retirement. I estimate that I would need $5,000 monthly when I retire.

=> Any other answer would be politically incorrect and risk his curry bao licence being revoked by the Familee?

Q: And your home now is...
A three-storey semi-detached house in Bukit Timah where I live with my parents. It was bought in 1971.
Q: And your car is?
My company car is a black Mercedes CLK200. [email protected]

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Strangely though, it then seems that the salaries of workers vs ministers back then and now are inversely proportionate!

Aren't we progressing? Didn't our founder transform us from a sleepy fishing village to a world class vibrant city?

Did I miss something?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Strangely though, it then seems that the salaries of workers vs ministers back then and now are inversely proportionate!

Aren't we progressing? Didn't our founder transform us from a sleepy fishing village to a world class vibrant city?

Did I miss something?

Yup, the leader is a sinkie. That is an important point. That is the real cause of it.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal

Did I miss something?

Life is good in the 80s.....

:o :( :o

royster79

Alfrescian
Loyal
last time in the 80s, whatever biz u do, 90% will make $$.. but now, only 10% manage to survive... Haiz.. if only i could do biz during those days...:rolleyes: