• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I made it! I'm going to Canada!

J_Tay

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello everyone. I used to be active in this forum (before it split into 2), years ago, under another nick.

Now I'm back with a new identity to share the good news. After 5 years of planning is some setbacks, I'm on my way to fulfilling my dream of living in Canada. I'll go going there via the study route. A Master's degree, then hopefully a job.

Just want to say hi to all the bros who have gone this route and helped others like me with advice over the years. Hey, maybe we can link up. I'll land in Kingston, Ontario.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Hey, maybe we can link up. I'll land in Kingston, Ontario.

Since you put in so much effort to get out of Singapore, why on earth would you want to link up with those you've been trying to get away from?

Don Muthuswamy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gd on u bro. U did the rite thing & well. Am also applying 4 Canada or Oz, c which 1 I get. Am planning 2 leave sg by the end of this yr. :wink:

J_Tay

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't hate all S'poreans. Just 60% of them....

In fact, I think there are many talented and capable S'poreans overseas. The MD of Lucasarts is an ex-Sinkee, you know?

The fellow nationals' network is very important to anyone going to settle in a new place. You don't agree uncle Sam?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The fellow nationals' network is very important to anyone going to settle in a new place. You don't agree uncle Sam?

No I don't. You'll broaden your horizons a lot faster if you integrate into the local community. "Fellow Nationals" are relics of your past. You gain nothing mixing with sinkies regardless of their political affiliations.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very Scary indeed. No job in Canada, and a very cold winter. Sinkies are better off staying in warm tropical Sinkapore with plentiful jobs.

beta64

Welcome aboard, bro J-Tay,

You are going the Queen's U, I supposed? I have been here since 2007 and I lived in Mississauga, Ont.

junkyard

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still cannot figure out if your comments are dead serious or made with bitter sarcasm!

Try taking it seriously.

Been there, done that. None of my friends (face to face) are Singaporeans. I now surpass cultural expectations to pass on as a kiwiborn in Australia now.

Migration is not merely the act of physically rooting in another forest. If you decide to make a new home in a different culture, what mental commitments are involved in that (list those that do not involve anything to do with your source)? I'm not saying that it's wrong to bring your culture along, but survival rates are measured by how fast you settle in.

<SG mode on> There is much less value trying to settle in when networking with sinkies ("clusterfuck") then with your immediate local communities</>

HulkSmash

Alfrescian
Loyal
If u r going on a government bond or a scholarship from a stat board or govt agency, do read the fine prints again.All the best to u!

J_Tay

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I will be enrolling at Queen's U for a Master's degree. That's in Kingston, a small 'university town' where the Canada OCS is also located.

Thank for the well wishes. Of course it's a nervous decision, but it's something I have thought over for 5 years, and prepared for 2 years. Of course there will always be screw-ups and competition for jobs, but you take your chances. I'm stuck in a rut already in Singapore.

I'm not the typical Sinkee who'll be scared by cold weather and global competition (you don't have to believe what i say now). We'll see if that is true in a couple of years....

I don't mean I want to network with every single ex-Sinkee who's here. Settling down with the locals and becoming 'Canadian' is what I believe too. But surely there must be a small handful of ex-sinkees (who will also be like canadians now) I can say 'hi' to?

Trying to get rid of this very 'Chinese' habit of thinking 'I'm a hero, I'm a dragon, I don't need any friends'. That's silly, and the reason why they have been an oppressed people for centuries.

woolsworth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now I'm back with a new identity to share the good news. After 5 years of planning is some setbacks, I'm on my way to fulfilling my dream of living in Canada. I'll go going there via the study route. A Master's degree, then hopefully a job.

By all means go and get your Candian PR / Citizenship , Canada is a great place to live & retire, but NOT to work and earn your wealth .

If you do not have at least US$2 million in net assets You will be far better off in Asia - plenty of opportunities .

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
No I don't. You'll broaden your horizons a lot faster if you integrate into the local community. "Fellow Nationals" are relics of your past. You gain nothing mixing with sinkies regardless of their political affiliations.

That is a point I heard from someone who successfully integrate with the local community. The singaporeans were studiously avoided and a new way of life embraced. The integration is successful and the singaporean past was forgotten.

Those who cannot do this come back to singapore with their tails between their legs. Those who can become citizens of their new country.

What I do not understand about Sam Leong is why does he has a website for Singaporeans when he should have focused on his own kiwi community?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
What I do not understand about Sam Leong is why does he has a website for Singaporeans when he should have focused on his own kiwi community?

I run sites that cater to communities and interest groups that I am familiar with. This forum is but one of them.

Amakusa Kourin

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is a point I heard from someone who successfully integrate with the local community. The singaporeans were studiously avoided and a new way of life embraced. The integration is successful and the singaporean past was forgotten.

Those who cannot do this come back to singapore with their tails between their legs. Those who can become citizens of their new country.

When you migrate to another nation, one should not look for just his own kind but also mingle with the locals and other foreigners. That is key to a fulfilling life other than just confining oneself to a Singaporean group and still remain Singaporean-style in a foreign country. Quite obvious that if you migrate and still stay in a Singaporean community, locals are not going to be welcoming, which many Singaporeans failed to understand.

junkyard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just try it this way.

Migrate with a mental assumption that you're a refugee. Assume that you just made huge enemies with the MIW, or whoever (loan shark, pimp, etc).

And you have no options to go back. Fight every urge to link up with any SG'eans that have any link back to this imaginary deep hole, or just tell yourself: this is it. I've been backed against the wall and this is the only way out of the corner: the new culture.

What then, will you do and what will it take to progress forward?