• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ho Say Liao! Gahment to jack up ciggarette prices!

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent! One of the rare things that the gahment do that is wise and good.

===========================================
Aug 12, 2008
Smoking out the smokers
Impact of drive burning out
By Judith Tan

Smoking bans, which forbid lighting up in places such as coffee shops and pubs, may be inconvenient, but they are less of a deterrence to smoking than rising cigarette prices. A third of the 100 smokers surveyed by The Straits Times have said they would stop smoking altogether if a packet of cigarettes were to cost $20, almost double the current price. EDWIN KOO/THE STRAITS TIMES

IN 1970, faced with a large population of smokers and mounting evidence that the habit was deadly, Singapore passed its first ban on lighting up.

With the stroke of a pen, smoked- filled public buses and cloudy cinemas became a thing of the past.

During the past 35 years, wider bans and gory anti-smoking campaigns have managed to whittle away the number of smokers.

But recent evidence suggests the drive may have lost its momentum.

While there are few recent statistics on the islandwide smoking rate, a Straits Times survey and other data suggest demand for cigarettes has not wavered during the past couple of years.

In 2006, the year smokers were barred from lighting up in coffee shops, Singapore saw 1.8 million kg of tobacco imports. Last year, that figure topped two million kg.

Meanwhile, the number of cigarette smuggling cases jumped almost 130 per cent last year and nearly 4.4 million contraband packs were seized.

While the country has one of the lowest adult smoking rates in the world, at 12.6 per cent, health officials concede it will be hard to whittle the figure further. There is a certain percentage of smokers whom some say cannot be convinced to quit because they are either heavily addicted or defiant.

Ms Choo Lin, deputy director of smoking control at the state-run Health Promotion Board, said: 'Government efforts alone cannot bring about a significant reduction in an already low smoking rate. We need community support to lobby for a smoke-free environment. This will help de-normalise smoking behaviour in our community.'

A Straits Times survey of 100 smokers between the ages 17 and 67 reveals that the smoking culture may be tough to crack.

Most respondents say that while the recent smoking bans are inconvenient, they are not a major deterrence to lighting up. Only one in 10 says the restrictions make them smoke less. The rest say they simply light up where they can - in their cars, carparks, outside pubs and at home.

Retiree Francis Ng, 67, said: 'I still smoke as and when I want to.'

Many people have also told The Straits Times that the tried-and-tested formula of scaring Singaporeans into quitting is losing steam.

The strategy came into full bloom in 2004 when the authorities began putting gory images, including of diseased organs, on cigarette packs. In 2006, the photo array was expanded to include a miscarried foetus, a move that was followed by campaigns on television.

Health officials have credited the scheme with convincing smokers to light up less and prompting more calls to a quit-smoking line.

'Based on our experience in the last 10 years, this hard-hitting approach has been the most successful,' said Ms Choo.

However, many smokers surveyed by The Straits Times claim to be fairly immune to the strategy, including Mr Ben Lee.

'I have become numb to the gory details,' said the 46-year-old, who has been smoking for more than two decades. 'It is not going to make me stop smoking.'

Consultant psychiatrist Adrian Wang said Singaporean smokers have grown accustomed to the gory images.

'They are no longer shocking because we become desensitised. That's why a horror movie is no longer horrifying on second or third viewing. The brain already knows what to expect.'

The messages have to hit closer to home, he said.

'The message should be - it could happen to you. Your kids won't have a father if you die at 50. Your wife will be broken- hearted. You might spend the last 10 years of your life gasping for air,' he said.

Most smokers say the only thing that would make them quit or cut back is a major hit in the pocketbook.

One-third say they would stop smoking if a pack of cigarettes hit $20, almost double the current price.

'I can spend the money on something else,' said Ms Noorazila Sakyan, 23.

Health officials agree that increasing the price is an effective way to curtail a habit that kills more than 2,000 Singaporeans a year.

Other figures from the Straits Times survey suggest smokers are acutely sensitive to costs.

Seven in 10 say they dabble in contraband smokes, which cost about half as much as their legal counterparts. That, despite the fact that buying a pack can result in at least a $500 fine and a court date.

Next year, the smoking ban will be extended to cover markets, underground and multi-storey carparks, ferry terminals, children's playgrounds and exercise areas.

While officials are hopeful this will cut smoking rates further, some people are not convinced.

'It is pointless. We are already addicted,' said taxi driver Lee Kok Siang, 58.

'I have been smoking for more than 30 years. You put it in a plastic bag I will still buy.'

[email protected]

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A third of the 100 smokers surveyed by The Straits Times have said they would stop smoking altogether if a packet of cigarettes were to cost $20, almost double the current price.

Your 3rd world sinkie govt will raise it to $19.99. You can bet on that!!!!

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
the slimy gov is just making this an excuse to raise the price of cigarettes further...i don't smoke but what those slimes is doing is down right despicable, if you want to stop then banned the sale of cigarettes totally...dun pretend to care for smokers but saying u are using pricing as a disincentive....:mad:

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Until today them smokers hasnt convinced me the benefits of smoking & whether can i stop the addiction anytime. I want to smoke to feel the same "shiok" the hard core addicted smokers felt leh......

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your 3rd world sinkie govt will raise it to $19.99. You can bet on that!!!!

Come to Indo. About S$1.50 per pack :biggrin: Smoke until you choke. But I always make it a point to buy a pack when back in S'pore. Support the economy lah :p

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Until today them smokers hasnt convinced me the benefits of smoking & whether can i stop the addiction anytime. I want to smoke to feel the same "shiok" the hard core addicted smokers felt leh......

If they are hard core addicted, they won't be feeling shiok anymore- they are only smoking to feed their addiction and need!

singaforever

Alfrescian
Loyal
the government cannot ban the sale of cigarettes outright. the cigarette cartel in the US will lobby for the US government to force Singapore to backtrack their decision (aka chewing gum) or sponsor 'someone' to overthrow the emperor like what they do to some pitiful banana republic etc.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
the government cannot ban the sale of cigarettes outright. the cigarette cartel in the US will lobby for the US government to force Singapore to backtrack their decision (aka chewing gum) or sponsor 'someone' to overthrow the emperor like what they do to some pitiful banana republic etc.

i think the sinkingporean market to them as in the famous words of the wooden wife "peanuts".

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
very soon, we'd see the retirees tending to HDB gardens planting tobacco as its going to be alot more lucrative than their incumbent chai-sim gardens.

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it happens, the rule will just drive smokers 'underground' to get cheap suppliers. No amount of checks and arrests will be able to totally wash out all the smugglers. :smile:

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it happens, the rule will just drive smokers 'underground' to get cheap suppliers. No amount of checks and arrests will be able to totally wash out all the smugglers. :smile:
1. purchase legalised cigarettes at sky rocketed prices
2. purchase contraband cigarettes n pay even higher fines
3. merchandize duty unpaid cigarettes n pay really really high fines

whichever angle it is, its obvious there's only 1 winner.

ANDYSIAO14

Alfrescian
Loyal
garment upped ciggies price - no problem still can go buy contraband... :p
what if contraband ciggies one day reaches $10 a packet... :eek:
how?? :wink:

counsel

Alfrescian
Loyal
A third of the 100 smokers surveyed by The Straits Times have said they would stop smoking altogether if a packet of cigarettes were to cost $20, almost double the current price.

Talk only, it's all excuses. By the time it reach $20, they will say $30.

Last time when ciggie are $5, people used to say they would stop when the price is $10.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal

S'pore does not manufacture cigarettes. The govt can ban cigarettes the same way it bans chew gum. The only consideration is $$$.