• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Health issue - sudden muscle cramps

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Also one more thing,,,drinking too much water causes one to loose salts and will lead to death. Happen to few ang mors when they went for the kakoda trail just keep drinking water than drop dead. So now if go for kakoda trail,,they are given sports drinks like gatorade etc..

And just adding salt to water is not good enough as there is only sodium and no potassium. Need the complete package but drink isotonic drinks also have to careful as the commercially available ones all have alot of sugar.

Maybe u can try taking magnesium and potassium tablets and see how,,,

Yes I heard of death by water overdose, but never imagine you can get it while engaged in strenuous exercise.

Think I will just add some high potassium fruits to my evening fruit plate for now and down some potato chips (my second vice). Potassium tablets only if problem doesn't go away.

And yes, I had to give up driving because of this condition. Can't afford to go on the road and then suddenly get those excruciating cramps ... dunno how many people I'll kill.

Last edited:

The Penetrator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time the badminton school team the coach always tell us to eat banana .It help keep cramp away and really do ! Up to today I still eat one banana 3 hour before football.Banana is a miracle fruit !

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I used to have painful muscle cramps on my calves while sleeping during the night..

It got so painful that I sometimes had to grit my teeth and tahan the pain.. Then I read in a Forum that the trick is to get out of the bed and jump up and down for a few minutes.. I did that and it really worked to ease the pain on my calves.. I

In the beginning, my wife found my behaviour strange especially when I suddenly hopped out the bed and did some jumping exercise at 1 am.. Had to explain to her before she thinks I'm going crazy..

hi there

1. zed, probably, too much sex hoh:biggrin:
2. honest, i know such pain all too well:p

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..when i spontaneously twist or turn my body to reach out for the ipad on either a bed stand or desk, the back cramps up and there's a sudden surge of pain. before fully making the twist motion.
Oh that deters you from doing the limbo rock. Back to that kamasutra page :p

Thick Face Black Heart said:
...never cramped up during sex
Count your blessings, else coitus interruptus :p

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If your diet already contains sodium and you have been exercising for sometime for the same duration, these things would have gone away. If they occur repeatedly they should be isolated to the same muscle pair - one of both leg etc and not different muscle groups. Best you see a doctor or preferably a sports doctor. Changi General Hospital is the centre for this.

Thanks a lot for the informative replies.

It seems that the common suggestion is that salt/electrolyte deficiency may be the cause. I did read the wiki page on "Cramps" which does suggest that it is one of the main possibilities, but initially ruled it out as I thought my diet was already full of sodium.

Will try and see how it goes. Not going for any supplements as far as possible.

DubLi

Alfrescian
Loyal
And yes, I had to give up driving because of this condition. Can't afford to go on the road and then suddenly get those excruciating cramps ... dunno how many people I'll kill.

Those excruciating cramps just come all of a sudden? Or when you were doing something like reaching out to take things from the back seat?

If you got cramps while trying to reach by stretching backwards, then you may have the some conditions that I went thru.

No fear. I may have the perfect solution for you.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If your diet already contains sodium and you have been exercising for sometime for the same duration, these things would have gone away. If they occur repeatedly they should be isolated to the same muscle pair - one of both leg etc and not different muscle groups. Best you see a doctor or preferably a sports doctor. Changi General Hospital is the centre for this.

Thanks for the sports doc suggestion. I have been exercising for quite a long time now, and cramps as long as I can recall - calves and side torso. Triceps/biceps only when I reach out suddenly for something. Stopped driving for this reason.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its called water intoxication...drink too much water before the electrolytes can be replanish,,so that why need to drink some gatorade,,,to replanish the electrolyte..that is also why i think some NS men drop dead after exercise etc..now in sports...electrolyte is important.

Yes I heard of death by water overdose, but never imagine you can get it while engaged in strenuous exercise.

Think I will just add some high potassium fruits to my evening fruit plate for now and down some potato chips (my second vice). Potassium tablets only if problem doesn't go away.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Its called water intoxication...drink too much water before the electrolytes can be replanish,,so that why need to drink some gatorade,,,to replanish the electrolyte..that is also why i think some NS men drop dead after exercise etc..now in sports...electrolyte is important.

I had the impression water intoxication doesn't occur until very extreme levels of intake. Guess I should be more careful.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wonder if anyone else has experienced this, or understands what is going on.

I can get it anytime, usually when I sudden jerk or flex my muscle. I have suffered cramps in my biceps, triceps, calfs, and the side of my torso. The side torso and my calfs are the areas most frequently prone to sudden cramps.

I jog 5-6km everyday, so I initially thought it was due to improper warming up/cooling down. But then I realize it literally can happen anytime ... when i'm asleep (even without AC), during bathing when I suddenly reach for the soap, etc.

The pain is excruciating and lasts for about a minute. It subsides after a few min, but the affected area is very prone to recurring cramps for about an hour after the first one. Thereafter I can use the affected muscle normally again.

Interestingly, I have never cramped up during sex.

no prob la.
take some chinese du zhong.
du zhong Strengthens the sinews and bones

DubLi

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you get muscle cramps in the lower legs at night, just take a
half teaspoon of rock salt and a glass of water, and the cramps
with its horrific pain will be gone in 5 minutes!

If the pain is still recurring, PM me.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you get muscle cramps in the lower legs at night, just take a
half teaspoon of rock salt and a glass of water, and the cramps
with its horrific pain will be gone in 5 minutes!

If the pain is still recurring, PM me.

Why PM you? Is your share private?

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
cut down on coffee and tea helps in my case. i drink a lot due to the need to stay alert, did have similar issues b4

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am just curious, muscle cramps... do people have cramps in one part of the body, where there is a muscle mass? ( you should know, what I mean (:- )

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I had the same problem for a while. It got better after I took B complex pills. As for isotonic drinks, I replace it with coconut water instead. More natural.