• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HDB Way of Classification Flats

Summerbee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, this is related to HDB issues. Please bear with me on the long rant.

I had an Indonesian friend who asked me about my family. I told him I lived in a HDB 3-rm flat with my family of which there were 5 of us. My wife and I stayed in the master room and the kids lived in the other room. He then asked me a funny question, “What do you do with the third room”. There never was a third room. You see, it was a HDB 2-bdr-room flat commonly called 3-rm flat.

I realized that many foreigners did not know about the unusual naming convention adopted by HDB. Many of my foreign friends thought that Singaporeans were living comfortably in flats with 3-5 bedrooms when in reality, HDB 3-rm/4-rm/5-rm flats were really 2-bdr/3-bdr units. The confusion was real since not so long ago, I had a foreign friend from UK who placed an advanced rental deposit for a 3-rm HDB flat before coming over. To his great anger, there was one bedroom less than he thought.

After explaining to him that his property agent did not misrepresent the facts, and that this was a common description used for public housing here, he left me with a question to ponder, “Why do Singaporeans accept this?” He was referring to the naming convention used by our public housing provider. I had been thinking about this for a while. Recently, there was a HDB 2-rm flat sold for $245k which caused similar confusion among my foreign friends because it really only had 1 bedroom.

I had rented short term housing in US and HK before. They all went by the numbers of bedroom when advertising. In private property market here, condo units were being advertised by the numbers of bedroom as well, say 1-bdrm/2-bdrm/3-bdrm etc. If Capitaland were to advertise a 3-bdrm unit as 5-rm condo, I am sure CASE would be on them very soon.

My point was that we were deceiving ourselves and overstated our social advancements all those years. Most Singaporeans simply lived in 2-bdrm and 3-bdrm flats. There was no gradation between HDB 4-rm and 5-rm flats. I am sorry to tell folks who ‘upgraded’ to 5-rm units, they were simply 3-bdrm flats with a larger size, kind of wearing the emperor clothes all those years.

The non-standard convention of naming HDB flats was also confusing to foreigners and inhibit out ability to integrate with them. We should address HDB flats by the numbers of bedroom. For example, if you write an article “Couple pays $245k for HDB 2-rm flat”, it should be “Couple pays $245k for HDB 1-bdrm flat” because that was what it really was - one bedroom. On the other hand, if you said generic statement like “HDB flats were affordable”, that’s fine since sizes and rooms were not being addressed.

I knew this was a long rant, I really hope we could change the way we communicate the actual public housing situation here so we could better integrate with foreigners, we should be using the numbers of bedroom when referring to HDB flats as in international practice. Why do Singaporeans accept HDB way of counting rooms, I did not understand. Thank you.

theDoors

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can I put your post in the HDB mortgage slave thread?
You have finally woken up from your slumber in the matrix.

Why do Singaporeans accept HDB way of counting rooms, I did not understand. Thank you.

2+2=5

The phrase "two plus two equals five" ("2 + 2 = 5") is a slogan used in George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four[1] as an example of an obviously false dogma one must believe, similar to other obviously false slogans by the Party in Nineteen Eighty-Four. It is contrasted with the phrase "two plus two makes four", the obvious – but politically inexpedient – truth. Orwell's protagonist, Winston Smith, uses the phrase to wonder if the State might declare "two plus two equals five" as a fact; he ponders whether, if everybody believes in it, does that make it true? Smith writes, "Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows." Later in the novel, Smith attempts to use doublethink to teach himself that the statement "2 + 2 = 5" is true, or at least as true as any other answer one could come up with.

Summerbee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you. You may post it in other threads. I feel the mis-representation of the HDB room numbers gave Singaporeans a false sense of social advancements when they introduced gradation (like 4-rm/5-rm, HDB) that was essentially the same tier by private property convention. Also, foreigners had an incorrect perception of our public leaving domain here thinking that we were really living in rooms with 3-5 bedrooms...

theDoors

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time 4 room 104sqm Now 90sqm
Last time 5 room 122sqm Now 110sqm

We have progressed.

Higher living standards and higher cost of living.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Old Fart - 'all your coolie ancestors have been using the living-room for sleeping at nite, i don't see why u can't do the same ... complain, complain, u want me to dig my spurs deeper into your hide isit ? afterall, living-ROOM is also a room, no ?' :eek:

theDoors

Alfrescian
Loyal
You should be grateful; thank the government for building HDB flats, pay ridiculous prices for them and die happy paying for it.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Why do Singaporeans accept HDB way of counting rooms, I did not understand. ...
datz simple wat ... iz similar 2 ze way dey classify ze cost of a flat ...

btw, did ur gd fren ask u y gst was raised 2 7%? ...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing. Its not a rant. We have been conditioned to accept things that it has become second nature for us. This is an excellent example. Maybe we can start thinking as a nation.

Hi, this is related to HDB issues. Please bear with me on the long rant.

theDoors

Alfrescian
Loyal
With our new 2/3/4/5 and Executive Condo holding cells to choose from, you chose and design your own enslavery program with our inexpensive and affordable interest rates.

yuelao

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is because there is no real consumer protection movement in Sinkieland. It is not just flats. In other countries, advertisements are required to display the full price including any taxes. In Sinkieland you get stupid ads with prices that excludes this and that, making it hard to compare prices.

As an example, go to Singapore Airlines website http://www.singaporeair.com. If you book tickets from say Australia, you will find that the first page with prices displayed will show the full fares for the trip. If you book from SG, the price will exclude taxes and surcharges.

Siong2

Alfrescian
Loyal
2 rm flat = 1 room + 1 living room
3 rm flat = 2 rooms + 1 living room
4 rm flat = 3 rooms + 1 living room
5 rm flat = 3 rooms + 1 living room + 1 dinning hall

That's wat I know. :rolleyes:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The classification of a flat with 2 bedrooms as a 3-room flat started in the beginning when no-bedroom rental flats were common. Instead of calling it no-room, it was called 1-room (the term "studio" was probably even more pretensious to be used then). So, a flat with 1 bedroom became a 2-room flat (and so forth) since it's already became convention to count the living room as 1 room.

theDoors

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey bro,

how is everything? baby lara still as kuai lan? send my regards to lara :smile:
tian xiang got married recently, u went to his wedding?

Baby lara now kindergarten liao... getting from bad to worst...
I didn't attend the wedding. But I attended the stag nite...
Too bad they never booked a hotel room and get "entertainment"
His brothers got him pissed drunk...