• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Government has imposed Code Red measures without calling the situation Code Red

jw5

Loyal
from yahoo news:

TraceTogether data can be used for criminal investigations: Desmond Tan

1609851811917.png

SINGAPORE — The Singapore police are empowered under the Criminal Procedure Code to obtain TraceTogether data for criminal investigations, said Minister of State for Home Affairs Desmond Tan in Parliament on Monday (4 January).

He was responding to a question raised by Holland-Bukit Timah GRC MP Christopher de Souza on whether data from TraceTogether (TT) – a digital system meant to help with COVID-19 contact tracing – would be used for criminal probes, and the legal provisions and safeguards in place for the use of such data.

“The government is the custodian of the TT data submitted by the individuals and stringent measures are put in place to safeguard this personal data. Examples of these measures include only allowing authorised officers to access the data, using such data only for authorised purposes and storing the data on a secure data platform,” said Tan.

He added that public officers who recklessly or knowingly disclose such data without authorisation, or misuse the data, face fines of up to $5,000, jail terms of up to two years, or both.

In a follow-up question, Aljunied GRC MP Gerald Giam asked, “Now that the government has said that they might actually use TraceTogether data for police investigations, does this not violate the TraceTogether privacy statement, which says that any data shared with the (Ministry of Health) will only be used solely for contact tracing of persons, possibly exposed to COVID-19?”

In response, Tan noted that the government does not “preclude the use of TraceTogether data in circumstances where citizens safety and security is or has been affected” and noted that this applies to other forms of data as well.

“Authorised police officers may invoke then the Criminal Procedure Code...to obtain this data for the purpose of criminal investigation, and for the purpose of the safety and security of our citizens. But otherwise, TraceTogether data is to be used only for contact tracing and for the purpose of fighting the COVID situation,” he added.

During a Multi-Ministry Taskforce (MTF) press conference in June last year, MTF co-chair Lawrence Wong and Minister-in-charge of the Smart Nation Initiative Vivian Balakrishnan both emphasised that the TT app and token are not meant to be used to detect offences and breaches of rules, but rather for effective contact tracing.

Wong said, “There is no intention to use a TraceTogether app, or TraceTogether token, as a means of picking up breaches of existing rules. The app and the device, plus SafeEntry combined, are meant to provide us with information in a timely manner so that we can do speedy, fast, and effective contact tracing.”

Echoing this, Dr Balakrishnan said, “(The) TraceTogether app, TraceTogether running on a device, and the data generated (are) purely for contact tracing. Period.”

jw5

Loyal
from yahoo news:

During a Multi-Ministry Taskforce (MTF) press conference in June last year, MTF co-chair Lawrence Wong and Minister-in-charge of the Smart Nation Initiative Vivian Balakrishnan both emphasised that the TT app and token are not meant to be used to detect offences and breaches of rules, but rather for effective contact tracing.

Wong said, “There is no intention to use a TraceTogether app, or TraceTogether token, as a means of picking up breaches of existing rules. The app and the device, plus SafeEntry combined, are meant to provide us with information in a timely manner so that we can do speedy, fast, and effective contact tracing.”

Echoing this, Dr Balakrishnan said, “(The) TraceTogether app, TraceTogether running on a device, and the data generated (are) purely for contact tracing. Period.”

Errrr........................... sure or not? :rolleyes::biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
from todayonline.com:

TraceTogether data use by police ‘restricted to very serious offences’, says Shanmugam

SINGAPORE — Data from the TraceTogether mobile application or tokens would be used by the police in “very serious offences”, Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam said in Parliament on Tuesday (Jan 5).

And so far, TraceTogether data has been used by the police once, in a murder investigation, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan said. The Minister for Foreign Affairs is also Minister-in-charge of the Smart Nation Initiative.

The clarifications from the two Cabinet ministers came after Mr Desmond Tan, Minister of State for Home Affairs, answered a parliamentary question on the issue on Monday, saying that the police are empowered to access TraceTogether data under the Criminal Procedure Code (CPC).

Mr Tan’s remarks have since raised concerns among the public, with many pointing out that when the TraceTogether system was introduced, Dr Balakrishnan had said that the data would be used only for contact tracing.

Speaking in Parliament on Tuesday, Dr Balakrishnan said that he had not thought about the CPC when he made that earlier assurance, adding that he has had sleepless nights after finding out about the CPC’s application to TraceTogether data a few weeks ago.

“Frankly, and I think members know me well, and I am always very frank... Frankly, I had not thought of the CPC when I spoke earlier,” he admitted.

After finding out about the CPC’s application to TraceTogether data, he had contemplated persuading Parliament to change the law, but he decided that they should maintain the status quo, after consulting colleagues inside and outside Parliament.

“I have come to the conclusion that right now, we are doing well. We are able to keep Singapore safe. We are able to keep and deal with the current crisis. And so long as this Government is able to maintain our reputation for openness, transparency, reliability, I think we are still on the right track,” he said.

He noted, too, that the application of the CPC is not unique to TraceTogether data.“Other forms of sensitive data, for example, phone or banking records — which may be protected by specific privacy laws — are also nevertheless subjected to the same provision of the CPC.”

In the case of TraceTogether, the police can only obtain the data by requiring a person involved in or assisting in criminal investigation to produce either his mobile smartphone or his TraceTogether token.

His clarification drew a question from Leader of the Opposition Pritam Singh, who asked under what circumstances the police would tap TraceTogether data.

To this, Mr Shanmugam said that the police’s approach has been and will be that such data usage is “pretty much restricted to very serious offences”.

“While that requirement is not in the legislation, it will be carefully considered within the police, and discretion will be exercised in seeking this information,” he added.

Dr Balakrishnan said he believes that Singaporeans can understand why the CPC confers broad powers to the police as there may be serious crimes, such as murder and terrorism, where the use of data in police investigations may be necessary in the public's interest.

"The police must be given the tools to bring criminals to justice and protect the safety and security of all Singaporeans, especially in very serious cases where lives are at stake,” he added.

“It is not reasonable for us to say that certain classes of data should be out of reach of the police. But this power on the part of the police to access the data must be exercised judiciously and with utmost restraint.”

Dr Balakrishnan also said that once the Covid-19 pandemic is over and when TraceTogether is no longer needed, the Government will "most happily and cheerfully" stand down the programme.

Mr Shanmugam said that as the CPC gives power to the police, the police have a duty to exercise the power, citing the example of a murder case.

“Let's say there is a murder… and information is available on a TraceTogether token. If the police chose not to seek that information, you can imagine how the victims' family and indeed the rest of Singapore might react to that situation.”

When asked for more information about the murder case cited by Dr Balakrishnan, how many cases the police have used TraceTogether data for investigations and the procedures for the use of such data, a Ministry of Home Affairs spokesman referred TODAY to Dr Balakrishnan's remarks in Parliament on Tuesday and did not give more details.

In response to TODAY’s queries, Mr Rakesh Kirpalani from law firm Drew & Napier, said that although the police have “wide powers” under the CPC to procure various types of data, the data requested must “always be relevant to a criminal investigation or proceeding”.

Mr Rakesh, who is director of dispute resolution and information technology at the law firm, said that in the context of TraceTogether data, the police will have to be clear why the proximity data collected by the app or token is relevant to a criminal investigation.

The police will also have to be specific and precise about the exact TraceTogether data that they seek.

On whether the TraceTogether token or app stores more data than other devices used by most Singaporeans, Mr Rakesh said that users give away “far more intrusive data voluntarily on their devices every day when they use social media or public IT infrastructure”.

jw5

Loyal
from yahoo news:

TraceTogether data used by police in one murder case: Vivian Balakrishnan

SINGAPORE — TraceTogether (TT) data has been used by police investigators in one murder case, said Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister-in-charge of the Smart Nation Initiative, on Tuesday (5 December).

Replying to a query raised by Non-Constituency MP Leong Mun Wai in Parliament on the number of instances in which the police have tapped on TT data, Dr Balakrishnan said, “As far as I'm aware, so far, I think there's been only one in which it involved a murder case.

“But I'm not privy to operational details and I shouldn't be. And therefore I'm not in a position to comment further on the investigations,” added Dr Balakrishnan, who is also Foreign Affairs Minister.

The use of TT data beyond COVID-19 contact tracing purpose has been the subject of much debate by netizens over the past two days.

On Monday, Minister of State for Home Affairs Desmond Tan told MPs that the police are empowered under the Criminal Procedure Code (CPC) to obtain TT data for criminal investigations.

The announcement apparently contradicted earlier assurances by the government last year that TT data would be used solely for COVID-19 contact tracing.

At a virtual press conference by the COVID-19 multi-ministry taskforce on 8 June, Balakrishnan said, “(The) TraceTogether app, TraceTogether running on a device, and the data generated (are) purely for contact tracing. Period.”

Responding to a query by MP Gerald Giam (Aljunied GRC) on Monday, Tan said, “Authorised police officers may invoke then the Criminal Procedure Code...to obtain this data for the purpose of criminal investigation, and for the purpose of the safety and security of our citizens. But otherwise, TraceTogether data is to be used only for contact tracing and for the purpose of fighting the COVID situation.”

Later that day, the TT privacy statement was updated to reflect this information.

On Tuesday, Balakrishnan rose up to clarify to the House that he had not considered the CPC when he earlier spoke about TT data privacy safeguards.

“Frankly, and I think members know me well, I'm always very frank. Frankly, I had not thought of the CPC when I spoke earlier,” said.

“After I realised that the CPC applied to this, I did have sleepless nights wondering: Should I persuade my colleagues to change the law?

“But having thought about it, discussed, consulted people both within and outside this House, I have come to the conclusion that right now we are doing well...I think we are still on the right track,” said Balakrishnan.

Sembawang GRC MP Vikram Nair, who is a lawyer, also spoke on the issue on Tuesday. He said, “I would actually support the use of TraceTogether for police investigations because not only is it necessarily helpful in finding out who may have been in the vicinity of a crime, for example, but it can also help exonerate people who are wrongly accused.

“So for example if you are accused and TraceTogether will tell you who was around you, it may help you establish an alibi.”

Vikram suggested that people who are accused or assisting in investigations should request that the police check their TraceTogether data to see if they have any alibis at the time of an offence.

jw5

Loyal
from yahoo news:

COMMENT: The TraceTogether affair is not just about privacy

P N Balji
·Contributor

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that hidden somewhere in the dark recesses of the Internet is an embarrassing photograph or revelation about you, just waiting for a bad faith actor to get his hands on it. For those unconvinced, last week’s TraceTogether app/token controversy is, in a small way, yet another example of why we need to get used to the dictum that nothing in this universe is secret or sacred.

Seven months after an official promise that TraceTogether data will be used only for tracing people who had contacts with Covid-19 patients, the government has backtracked. The police can use that information to solve serious crimes, Parliament was told last Monday (4 January). Information mined from TraceTogether was even used in a murder investigation.

This did not come as a surprise to some. Singapore is so ring-fenced by CCTV cameras and other tools that its citizens and expatriates feel safe living and working here. One talking point keeps coming back in my conversations: My daughter can go out at night and I know that she will return home safe.

With this as a backdrop, the government might have been surprised at the criticisms that surfaced, even among some commentators who are typically pro-government. What irked many was not that security officers can use the data, but that a promise to use it only for contact tracing had not been kept.

It was a surprise to see that such a serious issue was left to a junior minister, Minister of State for Home Affairs Desmond Tan, to answer in Parliament. The most charitable explanation is that the political leadership wanted him to get the exposure. It failed miserably as his response to the parliamentary question was too mechanical and clinical, such that Minister in charge of the government’s Smart Nation initiative Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, had to intervene the next day to give a clearer and fuller explanation.

Even then, Dr Balakrishnan was coy in admitting that it was a mistake, claiming only that the issue had slipped his mind. This didn’t seem to bother Leader of the Opposition Pritam Singh when he said in Parliament that he was prepared to accept the Minister’s statement, and was convinced that he had acted in good faith. Singh should not have rushed into giving that vote of confidence as the full TraceTogether story is yet to be told. Many issues continue to linger.

This was finally cleared up last Friday in a statement by the Smart Nation and Digital Government Office, which also said the government will go back to Parliament to introduce a Bill that will spell out the seven crimes that TraceTogether data can be used for. “We acknowledge our error in not stating that data from Trace Together is not exempt from the Criminal Procedure Code,” it said.

The leadership’s attempt to douse the disquiet quickly goes back to the way it has become the world’s poster boy for tackling COVID-19. There is only one patient in intensive care and the spread in the community has been stopped, at least for now. It is a gold medal that the leadership must be very proud of. And nothing must stain that reputation.

Having said that, what is worrisome about this whole affair is that nobody in government, not even security supremo K Shanmugam, spotted the mistake in Balakrishnan’s promise made in June. In his eagerness to get more people to embrace TraceTogether, Dr Balakrishnan could have missed the point that when it comes to police investigations, the Singapore Police Force have the power under the CPC to use TraceTogether data.

But for others like Shanmugam and Senior Minister Teo Chee Hean, who was once in charge of the Home Affairs Ministry and has an important role as Co-ordinating Minister for National Security, missing the error is an uncharacteristic lapse. To make matters worse, Teo repeated Balakrishnan’s promise in a written answer to a Parliamentary question in July.

This kind of lapse is not something one associates with a government known for its mastery of facts regarding policy and its push for zero tolerance in policy making. Singaporeans who are upset about privacy and transparency should also focus their minds on this. And the next time the government says that it doesn’t need an opposition to check it, some may want to remind it of the TraceTogether muddle.

Not to mention what Singh said at a 2015 Workers’ Party election rally, “Is this the future that we want for Singapore or our children in the next 50 years? Ownself check ownself?”

jw5

Loyal
from channelnewsasia.com:

TraceTogether: PAP MPs say proposed legislation addresses concerns; PSP suggests data should only be used for contact tracing

SINGAPORE: Members of Parliament from the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) who raised questions about the use of TraceTogether data in the House last week have welcomed the impending introduction of legislation to limit the use of the data for criminal investigations.

The Progress Singapore Party (PSP) however, has called for the data to be reserved only for contact tracing.

Minister of State for Home Affairs Desmond Tan said in Parliament on Jan 4 that the police could obtain TraceTogether data for criminal investigations, an admission that raised public concern about the use of the data by authorities.

The issue was first raised on Jan 4 through a parliamentary question from Mr Christopher de Souza, a PAP MP for Holland-Bukit Timah, who had asked whether TraceTogether data would be used for criminal investigations and what were the legal provisions and safeguards in using such data.

Before, a privacy statement on the TraceTogether website had said the data would only be used “for contact tracing purposes”. The site was updated on Jan 4 to clarify that the Criminal Procedure Code (CPC) applies to all data under Singapore's jurisdiction.

On Tuesday, Minister-in-charge of the Smart Nation Initiative Vivian Balakrishnan rose to clarify that he had earlier "overlooked" the CPC and he faced questions on the use of the TraceTogether data from a number of MPs from both sides of the aisle.

Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam told the House that the use of the data would be restricted to “very serious offences”.

On Friday, Singapore authorities announced that they would introduce legislation setting out seven categories of serious offences for which TraceTogether data could be used in police investigations.

offences for tracetogether app data

Categories of serious offences to be covered. (Table: Smart Nation Singapore)

The legislation will be introduced at the next Parliament sitting in February on a Certificate of Urgency.

In a Facebook post on Saturday, Mr De Souza said that he was glad the Government had clarified the issue.

"The news that the Government will be fast-tracking legislation to definitively clarify the seven categories of serious crimes that TraceTogether data will be used is welcome," he wrote.

"The fast tracking of this law reflects our Government’s responsiveness towards policy-making. This is encouraging, considering that our defences and policies towards COVID-19 have had to be developed in double-quick time."

Fellow PAP MP Tin Pei Ling, who raised supplementary questions on the issue in Parliament on Tuesday, said that given the situation, this was the best move to remove ambiguity about how the data would be used.

She had asked in Parliament for Mr Balakrishnan to give assurance that the majority of Singapore residents will not be affected by this, and he reaffirmed that the data will be used only for serious crimes, and will be assessed "judiciously".

"I think (the proposed legislation) makes it even clearer ... To me, (this is) taking it one step further - you are hardcoding it in law. This is the best and most definitive way to give reassurance to Singaporeans," said Ms Tin, who is the MP for MacPherson.

But PSP chief Dr Tan Cheng Bock said in a statement that the PAP was "backtracking" on its words and that this "erodes the confidence" of citizens in the country's political institutions.

"We need to be singular in purpose when it comes to contact tracing and in our fight against this pandemic. We fear that the Government’s latest move may result in a loss of confidence in our systems," he wrote on the party's Facebook page on Sunday.

"The move shared by Minster Dr Vivian Balakrishnan to establish guidelines for the use of these data under CPC will not ease the mind of people nor help to rebuild trust. COVID tracing data must solely and strictly be used for fighting the pandemic and nothing else."

Non-Constituency MP Leong Mun Wai, who is from the PSP, had pressed Dr Balakrishnan about the use of TraceTogether data in Parliament. A PSP spokesman told CNA on Monday that their representatives in the House plan to raise further questions about this at the next sitting of Parliament.

The Workers' Party's Aljunied MP Gerald Giam also raised concerns in Parliament last week that allowing the use of the data for investigations would lead to lower adoption of the contact-tracing programme, hindering pandemic control.

The Workers' Party did not respond to CNA's queries on their reaction to the proposed legislation.

jw5

Loyal
FAQ on Trace Together Token:

Can I collect the Token on behalf of family and friends?

Yes, you can collect on behalf of your family and friends from your designated Community Centre if they are also staying in the same constituency.
However, if you are collecting on behalf of those living in a different constituency, please proceed to their designated collection venues to make the collection for them.
Please remember to bring along their government-issued ID, documentary proof of residential address (e.g. utility bill) if it is not stated on their ID, and have their mobile number on hand as the Token is tagged individually to each user. Kindly ensure labelling of Tokens to avoid any mix up.

Where do I get my TraceTogether Token? Is there a designated collection point?

TraceTogether Tokens will be issued at Community Centres/Clubs in phases. Please check TokenGoWhere (token.gowhere.gov.sg) for the latest list of distribution venues.

jw5

Loyal
from straitstimes.com:

All travellers to Singapore need to take Covid-19 PCR test on arrival from Jan 25

SINGAPORE - Singapore has tightened its border restrictions in response to new virus variants and the worsening global pandemic situation.

All travellers, including Singapore citizens and Permanent Residents, will have to take a Covid-19 Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test when they arrive in Singapore.

This will take effect from Jan 24, 11.59pm, said the Ministry of Health (MOH) on Saturday (Jan 16).

The stay-home notice requirements, including the PCR test at the end of the stay, will continue to be in place.

Short-term visitors will also need travel insurance to cover the costs of their medical treatment in Singapore, if they are suspected of having the virus.

Those applying to enter Singapore under the air travel pass and reciprocal green lane arrangements will need to have a minimum coverage of $30,000 for their Covid-19-related medical treatment and hospitalisation costs in Singapore, from Jan 31, 11.59pm.

These short-term visitors are currently required to bear the full cost of medical treatment, if they are suspected of having Covid-19 or if they need medical treatment for the virus while in Singapore.

As a further precaution, all returning Singapore citizens and PRs from Britain and South Africa will be subject to an additional seven-day self-isolation at their place of residence, following their 14-day SHN at dedicated facilities.

This will take effect from Jan 18, 11.59pm.

They will be tested at the end of their SHN, and again after they have completed their seven-day self-isolation period.

These new restrictions come amid warnings from American federal health officials that a far more contagious variant of the coronavirus first identified in Britain could become the dominant source of infection in the United States by March.

This is likely to lead to a surge in cases and deaths, according to a forecast from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Cases also continue to rise worldwide, with new variants detected in various countries like Brazil and South Africa, even as the global death toll hit two million this weekend.

MOH said: "As the global situation evolves, we will continue to adjust our border measures to manage the risk of importation and transmission to the community.

"The Ministry of Health will also continue to review the data and evidence on any new viral strains and update the measures accordingly."

Foreign workers will also need to take tests once they arrive in Singapore.

Newly arrived work permit and S pass holders from the construction, marine and process sectors from higher-risk countries or regions must take an on-arrival PCR test and serology test from Jan 18, said the Multi-Ministry Taskforce (MTF).

"The on-arrival PCR test will enable early detection of Covid-19 cases, provide access to medical care quickly, and reduce the risk of leakage of imported cases into the community," MTF said.

It added that the on-arrival serology test, on the other hand, will allow for the identification of workers who have recovered and have antibodies.

These recovered workers will be exempted from SHN, additional seven-day testing regime and rostered routine testing requirements.

"This can help to minimise work disruption and associated costs from the SHN and tests. The cost of the new on-arrival tests will be borne by the employers," MTF said.

jw5

Loyal
from theindependent.sg:

Many shops have implemented TraceTogether-only entry “ahead of schedule”

Singapore — Many retailers have made an early start and require TraceTogether-only check-ins, sometimes not allowing people into their premises, according to a report in straitstimes.com (ST) on Friday (Jan 15).

The authorities, however, have told them that the people are not yet required to use only the TraceTogether app or token for entry, except for those places that have taken part in pilot runs.

These are mostly movie theatres, live performances and some nightlife venues.

THE SMART NATION AND DIGITAL GOVERNMENT OFFICE (SNDGO) TOLD ST, “TRACETOGETHER-ONLY SAFEENTRY WILL BE IMPLEMENTED ONLY AFTER EVERYONE HAS HAD A CHANCE TO COLLECT A TOKEN IN THEIR CONSTITUENCIES, AND A REASONABLE PERIOD OF NATIONAL DISTRIBUTION IS ACHIEVED.”
It added that there are companies that “mistakenly implemented” TraceTogether-only SafeEntry ahead of schedule.

Government agencies have sent emails to these companies to tell them to reverse this, as well as to take down signs that indicate that the TraceTogether app and token is required for entering the stores.

A check by ST in Bukit Timah, Orchard, Tampines and Jewel earlier in the week found that more than 40 shops there had posters with the SafeEntry QR code that read “TraceTogether Required”.

These were eateries, clothing stores, vendors of beauty products, a nail salon, a tuition centre and a wine store, most of which were, in fact, letting people in using other contact tracing methods.

But there were two — a barber shop and a wine retailer — that had activated TraceTogether-only SafeEntry.

A worker at wine retailer 1855 The Bottle Shop told ST that they had been instructed by “the office” to start TraceTogether-only SafeEntry. This was a common answer from workers queried on the requirement.

The implementation date for TraceTogether-only SafeEntry had originally been announced as the end of 2020. However, this date has been moved to early 2021.

Additional details concerning the roll-out date of TraceTogether-only SafeEntry are to be announced later, said the SNDGO, as more distribution points for the token at community centres are opening this month.

It added: ”We have also been working with businesses to implement (token scanning) to provide the additional alternative to the public for SafeEntry check-in.” /TISG

jw5

Loyal
from theindependent.sg:

Experts say recent uptick in Singapore infections “expected” due to border openings

Singapore—Given the rising cases of Covid-19 around the world, in addition to the country lifting travel restrictions for the sake of employment and tourism, the recent increase in local Covid-19 cases in Singapore was “expected,” some experts told The Straits Times (ST).

The uptick is also due to the authorities’ high success rate in identifying new cases in people coming into the country.

On Jan 10 (Sunday), there were 42 new cases of Covid-19, the highest daily count in nine months. There have been a total of 562 imported cases from 31 different countries from Dec 15, 2020 to Jan 10, 2021.
New daily cases have recently been in the double digits, in comparison to October and November, when the daily count went down to single digits. This is due, in part, to the country beginning to allow visitors from several countries to come in since September.

In addition, more S-pass and work permit applications were also allowed from that point, in answer to labour shortages in different companies.

ST quotes Associate Professor Josip Car as saying that the uptick in cases in the country is an expected one, “given the intensification of the Covid-19 disease globally, especially with the discovery of the new and highly transmissible strain of the virus”.

Prof Car is the director of the Centre for Population Health Sciences at Nanyang Technological University’s Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine.

Case in point: the United Kingdom, where a sizeable surge in infections has been observed lately, is the third largest source of imported cases in Singapore.

India and Indonesia, the first and second largest sources of imported infections, are also reporting high numbers of daily cases.

Professor Dale Fisher, from the Department of Medicine in the National University of Singapore’s (NUS) Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine (who also chairs the World Health Organisation’s Global Outbreak and Alert and Response Network), told ST that many travellers from high-prevalence countries test positive for Covid-19 upon arrival.

However, when compared to the total number of all travellers serving SHN, the percentage that has tested positive has stayed low.

Of the 18,426 people serving SHN on Jan 3, only 35 tested positive for the infection, which amounts to only .002 per cent.

According to Prof Car, this is “a good sign that our detection measures are successful in screening out infected cases, given that community spread is still low”.

This also shows that measures to contain the infection and prevent community spread through measures implementing the SHN for travellers have been successful, the experts ST spoke to added.

They also said that unless global cases decrease or Singapore closes borders again, the number of imported cases is unlikely to decrease.

Associate Professor Alex Cook of the NUS Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health is quoted in ST as saying that if some travellers remain undetected the community’s safe management measures will be able to mitigate their impact.

As for the small rise in community cases, he says it was due to the further lifting of measures in Phase 3.

“Phase three is characterised by greater normalcy than phase two, which of course means the risk of transmission is higher.

We believe this can be countered by the safe management measures that we have in place now, though time will tell whether the balance is still right.”

jw5

Loyal
from theindependent.sg:

Experts say recent uptick in Singapore infections “expected” due to border openings

PAP Ministars should listen to the "experts" and consider closing the borders. :rolleyes::cautious: