• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good Morning...Yesteryear.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
spider catching and fighting was my favourite hobby..
the best pegdigree fighting spiders you can find at the bushes is at kent ridge park NUS,NTU at jalan bahar and CMPB dempsey road football field..
the spiders are big and black face claws..we would make them horny with the females first to strenghthen their power before a fight.. food will be the head of a housefly which with tear out and eating whatever kuih come along didnt washing my hands. my hand after tat

I was at East Coast, and the "best" spiders were from Chai Chee. But back then, Chai Chee was notorious for gangsters and we seldom forayed in that territory.

I wonder if you've come across male spider pairs my malay friends could call Abang-Adek. They wouldn't fight each other but would devour any other spider they came across. My best friend then had a brother pair and they were 1st and 2nd "King." A few years ago I watched Discovery Channel and it says spiders were one of the few animals that had sex for pleasure including gay sex!!!!!! How innocent we were then.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
And I remember pounding glass to make glass powder and coat the kite lines for kite fights. :smile:

We had various names for the varied firecrackers. Still remember, there were metal toy guns that hammer red strips of paper that contains pellets of gun powder, and give off a muted bang.

Rediffusion was like an alarm clock for me.

Those were the days...we knew what is life then, and lived it :smile:... now look at this country.....sigh.

Yes. And I think we valued whatever we received, or made for ourselves more than the kids do today with their expensive toys.

Then, we knew everyone (in our age group) in our kampongs and played soccer, went swimming - group acitivities, organised by ourselves. Well, we had our time.

Cheers!

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
And keeping them in match box stuffed with leaves :o We did fighting fish too.

For me, my family used to keep a monkey, parrots, an orang utan and a big python kept in an empty well.

I was at East Coast, and the "best" spiders were from Chai Chee. But back then, Chai Chee was notorious for gangsters and we seldom forayed in that territory.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

For me, my family used to keep a monkey, parrots, an orang utan and a big python kept in an empty well.

Elastoplast lid tin was where I kept me arachnids. Wasn't much into fighting fish as I would not be able to conceal them from mum but I remember watching them at the coffee-shop at Jalan Tua Kong.

You had an orang-utan???!! Fuck me. Where/how'd the hell you get it? Caged? Chained? Or free-range?

Cheers!

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
You used to stayed near tanah merah in the old days?

Some one gave the orang utan as a gift to my father. It was like one morning I woke up and shit it was sitting outside chained. My sister fed it kachang kupet and the bitch grabbed her hair:biggrin: Then kenna caned jialat jilat (my father used the cane that he used to cane me:o)

After that the orang utan was chained to a jack fruit tree and allowed to live in the tree.

Elastoplast lid tin was where I kept me arachnids. Wasn't much into fighting fish as I would not be able to conceal them from mum but I remember watching them at the coffee-shop at Jalan Tua Kong.

You had an orang-utan???!! Fuck me. Where/how'd the hell you get it? Caged? Chained? Or free-range?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
You used to stayed near tanah merah in the old days?

Some one gave the orang utan as a gift to my father. It was like one morning I woke up and shit it was sitting outside chained. My sister fed it kachang kupet and the bitch grabbed her hair:biggrin: Then kenna caned jialat jilat (my father used the cane that he used to cane me:o)

After that the orang utan was chained to a jack fruit tree and allowed to live in the tree.

My earliest years were at Somapah Road, Mata Ikan. Mid-primary, we moved to Opera Estate, Siglap.

Hey, so you guys had an Utan even before Ah Meng became famous eh? Must've been a blast to have a hairy red ape around. Did y'all give her a name?

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
.... My sister fed it kachang kupet and the bitch grabbed her hair:biggrin: Then kenna caned jialat jilat (my father used the cane that he used to cane me:o)

Sorry, I need to clarify... you mean the Orang Utan grabbed your sister's hair right? And that Orang Utan got caned jilat jilat by your dad, right?

:confused:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wonder if the Mee Siam with Hum is a result of Sg's affluence? If it is, I'm still below poverty line.

Anyway, Mee Siam was never a choice for me as I'd pick Mee Rebus instead.

Ahh, the tick tock Kwey Teow soup, home delivery - still piping hot. Even the keling barber came by on bicycle.

Cheers!

Found a photo...something like tat...goot ol days when we lowered a basket frm 2nd floor window to pick up kway, ortar or all kinds of exotic foods...yeah...those were de days...

satay_man.jpg

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ahh, Mata Ikan is the place where the current church is located around taman bedok right? Nice talking to old folks :biggrin: BTW, there is still the really old peranakan house with the batminton court near bedok corner, opposite 3rd guards. Used to be near the beach and the sea food restaurant.

Do you still remember the murder case around that area in the old days? Heard the lady with murdered and kept in a suitcase in the house.

As for the utan, my dad gave it away about a month later, after my mom nagged. The utan spent most of the time hiding up the jack fruit tree. I didnt dare to go near it after I saw what happend to my sister.:p

My earliest years were at Somapah Road, Mata Ikan. Mid-primary, we moved to Opera Estate, Siglap.

Hey, so you guys had an Utan even before Ah Meng became famous eh? Must've been a blast to have a hairy red ape around. Did y'all give her a name?

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i also had a monkey and few dogs(a german shepherd, doberman and a dachshund). the monkey was chained to the see saw in our garden. it's really fun to see the dogs go after him. then he would shit on the dog's head,not kidding, really bring laughter to me now when i recall. then, this monkey actually provoke my brother so much that he wanted to strangle him and he was given away.:biggrin::o

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha, I know. Monkeys got character, can be damn "kuai lan". We chained our monkey on a star fruit tree.

I also remembered an instance that my brother and I was fooling around and tried to provoke the fella. The monkey "buay tahan" and he jumped towards us....in its fury, the joker forgotten that he was on leash and chain.:o So just like in the cartoons, the leash tension pulled the monkey backwards abit and like a pendulum, the fella slammed head first on the tree truck.

My brother and I was LOL but was concerned. We tried to check out the monkey, but it just covered its head in pain with one hand and keep waving us off with the other hand, as we tried to see if it was badly hurt.:biggrin: That monkey got temper but damn cartoon.

But he was stolen from us. One morning I brough bread with jam to the fella and found the chain cut.:(

i also had a monkey and few dogs(a german shepherd, doberman and a dachshund). the monkey was chained to the see saw in our garden. it's really fun to see the dogs go after him. then he would shit on the dog's head,not kidding, really bring laughter to me now when i recall. then, this monkey actually provoke my brother so much that he wanted to strangle him and he was given away.:biggrin::o

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sigh...good old days.:cool:

Haha, I know. Monkeys got character, can be damn "kuai lan". We chained our monkey on a star fruit tree.

I also remembered an instance that my brother and I was fooling around and tried to provoke the fella. The monkey "buay tahan" and he jumped towards us....in its fury, the joker forgotten that he was on leash and chain.:o So just like in the cartoons, the leash tension pulled the monkey backwards abit and like a pendulum, the fella slammed head first on the tree truck.

My brother and I was LOL but was concerned. We tried to check out the monkey, but it just covered its head in pain with one hand and keep waving us off with the other hand, as we tried to see if it was badly hurt.:biggrin: That monkey got temper but damn cartoon.

But he was stolen from us. One morning I brough bread with jam to the fella and found the chain cut.:(

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)

I wonder if you've come across male spider pairs my malay friends could call Abang-Adek. They wouldn't fight each other but would devour any other spider they came across. My best friend then had a brother pair and they were 1st and 2nd "King." A few years ago I watched Discovery Channel and it says spiders were one of the few animals that had sex for pleasure including gay sex!!!!!! How innocent we were then.

Cheers!

Yes indeed,if you can find a spider pairs staying in a leaf together,they can be very good fighters so is those we call husband n wife that live together..
somapah,malta ikan and koh sek lim rd do have fighting spiders but most are what we call white legs,they chicken out when ask to fight.:biggrin:
somapah is very well known for fighting fishes...many sporeans from as far as jurong would come see see n buy because some of the best fighting fishes can be found in the several fish farm there.
my school changkat changi is near somapah,me n my classmates would go to these fighting fish farm use my hand to scoop out a fighting fish from the jar and took off.:biggrin:
the market and coffeeshop food in somapah is simply delicious,quite a lot of hainanese stays there and the girls are so beautiful.:biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Limpei prided myself as dissappearing king - never get caught one. Ma was always too busy to worry about what I did, as long as final year result no red ink, she was on my side. That block soap was used for everything, body soap, shampoo, dog soap, and soap carving at school.

I only ate at Swee Kee (can't remember Beach Road or Lavender Street) once in my life. My successful toy-salesman uncle took us there in his Hillman Imp (can't remember how the hell we cramped two families into the little jalopy) and at the end of the evening was pissed off that his expensive leather shoes got m&d on them.

Kite season, I found myself with the group racing across streets with cars, oblivious to our own safety. Main reason is that my own kite-flying skills sucked. Yes, and it always ended up in fights and torn kites.

Cheers!

That is why I am always bewildered when I step into those stores or supermarkets that sells body wash, soaps etc., for I see a vast array of soaps that have aloe vera, mango and so forth. Back in our days, one bar, serve it all, like you had mentioned, bathe, wash clothes, bathe the dog, use for soap carving, art & craft lesson. One soap, Lam Soon!

If parents today would ban, complain that their sons are allowed to dash across the road chasing after fallen kites, carrying bamboo poles etc..uring our days, kite season is a kind of madness, only when we were young we could understand.. ha ha ha

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
During our time, we are happy as long as our parents bring us out for an outing. Nowadays, the kids expects to bring home a new toys after each outing.

At the age of 6, they start comparing where they had been during the weekends and who had watched the latest movie.

Yes. And I think we valued whatever we received, or made for ourselves more than the kids do today with their expensive toys.

Then, we knew everyone (in our age group) in our kampongs and played soccer, went swimming - group acitivities, organised by ourselves. Well, we had our time.

Cheers!