• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Goh Meng Seng's National Day Message (YT)

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, what quality and standard are you looking for?

Wait till you listen to some of the PAP MPs. :wink:

Public speaking is not the favourite pass time of Singaporeans, even from schools. You will have a lot of problems to find people to speak in front of the camera.

But you are right, opposition will have a tougher time and the odds are against them. PAP candidates do not need to speak perfect English or Mandarin fluently but people will still vote for them. But for opposition candidates, they will have to be skillful in public speaking before they can get the votes.

But traditionally, I think even PAP leaders know that opposition candidates in general, are better speakers than PAP candidates. So much so that they have to play down effective speaking as the important criteria for voters.

Goh Meng Seng

Go on wimping... go on... yada yada yada and tomorrow PAP will level the field for all political parties to contest. tear GRCs apart so all become single seats, lower election deposit.. blah blah blah ... yada yada.. .

It will never be easy, you can cry cow's father and cow's mother all you want about the OBs about even PAP yada yada...

If I were you I either go seriously knocking on all the successful consultants like image, public speaking, etc etc to teach me the "how-to" and not relay on my own "know-how".

GMS you are totally UNTEACHABLE. That will be your own curse and this election if you got elected well and good, if NOT then you know whatever BRAND you selling be it KOTEX, PRADA or NASI LEMAK no one cares! Again people are hungry for OPPOSITION, that is a O, P, P, O, S, I, T, I, O, N and not PRADA ROTI PRATA KUAM CAI CHA ROTI.

SDA form in 3 July 2001 contested its first election in 2001 @ Tampines GRC and garnered 31,231 of 119,479 total polled (26.7%)
second election in 2006 36,948 of 120,416 total polled (31.5%)

What's the Stats is saying? IF in coming election GMS should and MUST at least get 31.5%. he is just 18.6% short or another 22,400 votes.

How many household had he covered? if anything less than 59,000 or presumptively 4 to a unit would mean 15,000 HDB units he is doomed to fail. 1 blk of HDB is about 110 units on average that would be 136 blocks of flats. How blocks had he covered?

GMS, if you can't talk for peanuts, no charisma for peanuts, my last advice is go walk 136 blocks the LEAST! and shake their hands 3 times! to be assured of their vote for you!

Gosh what am I expecting?!! an elephant to perform swan lake dance??!!

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually, personally, I am not satisfied with my own performance. Its just passable. But there is a time constraint and I do not want to hold up my volunteer helper Uncle Yap too long.

But nevertheless, it is a very good practice in the run up to the GE. Political broadcast is a challenge as we will only be allowed 3 takes.

There is only one way to perfection, practice practice and practice.

Goh Meng Seng

Aiyo, such important once in a year message must make time lah. I believe retarded LHL also rehearsed many times until he was broadcasted life and still messed up. Uncle Yap no time also must made sacrifice mah - to show his sincerity and the importance of such occassion.

I suggest hor, next time choose a place with window and nice view as background (not necessarily skyscrappers but some gardens), I can donate nice palm tree and my classic table lamp as touch up to the zen interiior to make the ambience feel more warm to the viewers and you can sit down on a nice table (with your party flag in one corner) to make you feel more comfortable. Avoid standing up with lots of movements while delivering your speech. Besides, blue,red background looks too intimidating and it constrasted strongly with your orange tee. Wear a full buttoned shirt like the one you wore in CNA. T-shirt looks too casual and forgettable. Anyway, nice speech but a little smile from you will be sweet. Otherwise, you sound like a daddy chiding a boy...hahaha My 2 cts worth of opinion.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whatever they did land them 26% and 31% of votes in 2001 & 2006 respectively in Tampines GRC. So GMS better jolly well do above 31%.

What 26% or 31%? Anything below the 44% and GMS would jump into Singapore River. Later, we can throw bakchang into the river to feed the fish to save his body from being eaten by fish. Make sure NEA people not around first, otherwise kena fined illegal littering in river.

jw5

Loyal
I thought that GMS gave a good message. He's not the most articulate person around, but he's certainly not the worst by far. Several pap ministars and mps' spoken English are worse. Some pap ministars and mps can't even make a speech in mandarin. In terms of being bilingual and delivering a forceful message, GMS is probably one of the better orators around. The TS mentioned about his "dulan face", in my opinion, the expression he had on his face complimented the message very well, so well done GMS.

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal
What 26% or 31%? Anything below the 44% and GMS would jump into Singapore River. Later, we can throw bakchang into the river to feed the fish to save his body from being eaten by fish. Make sure NEA people not around first, otherwise kena fined illegal littering in river.

brother you forgot about drums?? We need to beat the hell out of the drums to frighten the fishes away from the dead body as well..:biggrin:

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
You mean you should emulate PAP's Lim Swee Say? Or he should even say mee siam mai hum? That will cost you millions in dollars.

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought that GMS gave a good message. He's not the most articulate person around, but he's certainly not the worst by far. Several pap ministars and mps' spoken English are worse. Some pap ministars and mps can't even make a speech in mandarin. In terms of being bilingual and delivering a forceful message, GMS is probably one of the better orators around. The TS mentioned about his "dulan face", in my opinion, the expression he had on his face complimented the message very well, so well done GMS.

Like it or no.. many still love candy-coated words. Opening of it has been a frustrating year for all of us.. plus that perpetual dulan look in public speaking .. F9! Content good or not, no more important. Those who know abt public speaking will know people only remember 2 points. your opening and closing..
"it had been a frustrating year for many singaporeans,.... " and "we need to change the current system"...

you draw your own conclusion is that a good wrap up? It's like you go to car mechanic and ask the mechanic whats the problem he answers " Your car got problems...." then "We need to change the system"...

You will definitely WTF! Of course got problems then what for I come to you! Of course need to change system, change what system":oIo: at the mechanic.

This kind of speech, you say to rouse people to steal rob or beg can, to rouse the people for an uprising! revolution! change dynasty change emperor>>>>???? You shout "CHARGE!" the people will :oIo: you and ask "Charge simi lancheaw? u also didnt say properly and how to?!"

Suppositely 6 minutes is all GMS have on state TV, this 6 minutes will set opposition back 6 years of hard work gone into longkang and into the marine barrage.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal

Want to compare, compare to Obama. Why compare to PAP?
Strive for the best and you will have a chance to be the best!

:mad::mad:

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal
You mean you should emulate PAP's Lim Swee Say? Or he should even say mee siam mai hum? That will cost you millions in dollars.

how to compare? People spew rubbish also got kar kia to pick up after them. People drop their testicles also got many quickly run forward to carry them how you want to compare?

If the only decent language and public oratory skill that requires no money to perk up also fail F9, I really do not know what hope is there for opposition.

Do not compare. PAP has the money to carry busloads of supporters, give water, give hats, give fans etc... got Unions, got public figures and leaders to front their campaign, yes opposition got nothing. And maybe opposition only got mouth but mouth also FAIL, i dont know what else?.. full monty?

sampierre

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS you are totally UNTEACHABLE. That will be your own curse and this election if you got elected well and good, if NOT then you know whatever BRAND you selling be it KOTEX, PRADA or NASI LEMAK no one cares! Again people are hungry for OPPOSITION, that is a O, P, P, O, S, I, T, I, O, N and not PRADA ROTI PRATA KUAM CAI CHA ROTI.

How many household had he covered? if anything less than 59,000 or presumptively 4 to a unit would mean 15,000 HDB units he is doomed to fail. 1 blk of HDB is about 110 units on average that would be 136 blocks of flats. How blocks had he covered? GMS, if you can't talk for peanuts, no charisma for peanuts, my last advice is go walk 136 blocks the LEAST! and shake their hands 3 times! to be assured of their vote for you!QUOTE

Dear Subok,

I am in TOTAL AGREEMENT with your last paragraph. GMS and his party colleagues MUST MAKE EVERY EFFORT, from now till the GE announcement date, to go on a door-to door visit at ALL HDB blocks in Tampines GRC to convince residents to vote for NSP. He should NOT be wasting time just to distribute/sell party papers at Tampines MRT station and at Street 11 coffeeshops. IF GMS IS PREPARED TO WORK THE GROUND TIRELESSLY IN TAMPINES AND GET HIS ELECTION STRATEGY RIGHT, I AM HOPEFUL NSP CAN ACHIEVE CLOSE TO 45% OF THE VOTES.

However, I see NOTHING WRONG for NSP in trying to cultivate a certain "branding" for itself; you should not get too upset over this. I seriously think it's pointless for NSP to get back into SDA as long as that fcuking Chiam See Tong and his wife are in charge of the Alliance. Better for NSP to consider forming an alliance with Kenenth Jeya of Reform Part instead.

Finally, I think it's a good effort by GMS to record and post his first National Day message as secretary-general of NSP for all of us here to hear.

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Want to compare, compare to Obama. Why compare to PAP?
Strive for the best and you will have a chance to be the best!

:mad::mad:

If the person concerned even think this standard is passable then in hockkien "bo yo qui" "no medicine can save"....

From all the observations of youtube recording of GMS' speeches he's good at rousing the crowd only when he talks bad things about PAP. That any monkey can do! Just go up stage and shout "F**K you L*Y!" i tell you the clap more thunderous than anything!

Bo standard also can pass, I do not know what is standard as in the meaning of standard anymore.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am in TOTAL AGREEMENT with your last paragraph. G

MS and his party colleagues MUST MAKE EVERY EFFORT, from now till the GE announcement date, to go on a door-to door visit at ALL HDB blocks in Tampines GRC to convince residents to vote for NSP.

He should NOT be wasting time just to distribute/sell party papers at Tampines MRT station and at Street 11 coffeeshops.

GMS

Please do all the above. If you want to be better than MBT!

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Subok,

I am in TOTAL AGREEMENT with your last paragraph. GMS and his party colleagues MUST MAKE EVERY EFFORT, from now till the GE announcement date, to go on a door-to door visit at ALL HDB blocks in Tampines GRC to convince residents to vote for NSP. He should NOT be wasting time just to distribute/sell party papers at Tampines MRT station and at Street 11 coffeeshops. IF GMS IS PREPARED TO WORK THE GROUND TIRELESSLY IN TAMPINES AND GET HIS ELECTION STRATEGY RIGHT, I AM HOPEFUL NSP CAN ACHIEVE CLOSE TO 45% OF THE VOTES.

However, I see NOTHING WRONG for NSP in trying to cultivate a certain "branding" for itself; you should not get too upset over this. I seriously think it's pointless for NSP to get back into SDA as long as that fcuking Chiam See Tong and his wife are in charge of the Alliance. Better for NSP to consider forming an alliance with Kenenth Jeya of Reform Part instead.

Finally, I think it's a good effort by GMS to record and post his first National Day message as secretary-general of NSP for all of us here to hear.

I am not against branding if you read my correctly. But now is not the time especially in front of media!?! That's a taboo! knowing media is milking every bits of information to discredit the oppositions.

Media ask will NSP join the SDA?
political correct answer should be : work in progress . You see when RP was asked the same question what was their respond when we all knew there was some uproar within the party? How KJ contain it? THIS IS STATEMANSHIP, this is Politician in making. And not ""not considering that option yet" and make it worst Mr Goh said the NSP was focusing on "building up the party branding".

Let me show u in example how people read those sentence in positive and negative manner:-

Positive:
not considering the option YET

Negative:
NOT CONSIDERING the option yet.

Positive:
BUILDING up the PARTY branding

Negative:
building up the PARTY BRANDING.

Here I substantial all the peeves about GMS. Look at the statement he made. We can stand on his side that GMS meant well and we take it to mean GMS meant to say those in positive. but nothing stopping the electorate to read it negatively in the other way round but same wording but different emphasis. And it does not help when the article is named "NSP plays down prospects of party returning to SDA"

The topic itself is a negative connotation thereafter the readers will subconsciously expect negative tone of the article which is those I highlighted. Which means to say GMS DID himself.

GMS, you and NSP better STEAL BEG OR BORROW a reputable media company to give you all consultation on what is media representation what is media spokesperson what is image projection, voice projection etc etc. All you got is a HEART and that's it. But this is politics.

Wonder why PAP did not even bother with GMS? Now this is the answer. no need to. by sheer tenacity of his "heart" he would not get there. But if PAP notice NSP suddenly got media center, media spokesman, I tell you PAP will start to shake!

GONE.

GMS, you cannot relies on the political astute to vote for you to win an election. how many there is anyway? The generation X and some generation Y in totality is not enough to topple the government, MUCH less your BRANDING....

Gosh... I better go BAO BAK CHANG....

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS

Please do all the above. If you want to be better than MBT!

if only he listens... maybe I was wrong.. there is still some glimmer of "hope"... "Passable?" ..... well today the word "PASS" got a new meaning....

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe the groud is sweet for harvest by the oppositions, anywhere in Singapore, except maybe Marine Parade and Telok Blangah.

Any minor blunders or bloopers committed will give PAP big cherry points. If I may say, PAP election strategy this coming election is "No strategy" meaning, I think they know the ground is not favorable for them, so now the only strategy is for oppositions camp to commit their own boo boos and then state media blow it up like "NSP plays down prospects of party returning to SDA".

We may all be in agreement NSP leave SDA, but to the public do they know the truth or do they even care to know the TRUTH? All the see and read from that one liner is NSP is a running dog of opposition full stop draw line.

I hope I am wrong! Cause I want the opposition to win and win big. But with such political damage done by GMS, I hope he can salvage it. But when he gave his national speech, I was like "SH*T another nail onto the coffin lid!" ... now last of lasts strategy for GMS is to have walked 136 blks in tampines grc X 3 ....

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Subok serves a purpose by benchmarking GMS against the highest standards. This is a good tihng for GMS

If we demand so much from PAP, it's logical to demand the same from GMS

GMS, take it as a challenge and as a source of motivation to keep pushing yourself to get the vote of all opposition-friendly household in tampines. Don't stop at being mediocre.