• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fucking PAP govt.. Prevent Dr Chee from selling book. is that public or private place

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
http://yoursdp.org/news/chee_stopped_from_selling_books/2012-09-18-5362

Chee stopped from selling books

Added on: Tuesday Today
Total comments: 2

Singapore Democrats

Dr Chee Soon Juan was at Raffles City Shopping Centre to sell his book Democratically Speaking yesterday when security personnel stopped him because they said that the area was private property belonging to CapitaLand.

Dr Chee was surprised as he, together with other SDP activists, was charged for assembly in a public place without a permit in 2006 at the same spot.

He told the security guards that if the area was indeed private property, he would stop his sales but he needed to be sure.

He then called the police to ask them to help verify if the area was private property. When the police arrived, Dr Chee explained the situation and asked them to ascertain the veracity of Raffles City personnel's claim.

After a few minutes, the officer-in-charge said that one of his men had seen the documentation and confirmed that the area belonged to Raffles City. Dr Chee then told the officer that he took the police's word for it and stopped the sales.

This raises a question: On 10 September 2006, he and other activists were distributing flyers at the same location.

They were stopped by the police and subsequently charged for illegal assembly in a public place (see the Charge sheet below). They were found guilty and jailed for 1 week in default of a fine of $1,000 each.

How could people be charged for public assembly without a permit in a public place at the same location if the area is private property?

Raffles City says it is private property, the Attorney-General's Chambers says it is public property. If Raffles City is right, the AGC has a lot of explaining to do.

Buy a copy of Democratically Speaking or Donate to the Discharge CSJ Fund.

The Charge

You are charged that you, on the 10th day of September 2006 at about 12:15 pm, in the vicinity of Raffles City Shopping Centre, North Bridge Road, Singapore, which is a public place, together with 5 persons did participate in an assembly intended to demonstrate opposition to the actions of the Government, which assembly you ought reasonably to have known was held without a permit under the Miscellaneous Offences (Public Order & Nuisance)(Assemblies & Processions) Rules, and you have thereby committed an offence punishable under Rule 5 of the said Rules.

Mark Chua
Senior Investigation Officer
Central Police Division
29 December 2008

Rule 5 of the Miscellaneous Offences (Public Order & Nuisance)(Assemblies & Processions) Rules: Any person who participates in any assembly or procession in any public road, public place or place of public resort shall, if he knows or ought reasonably to have known that the assembly or processions is held without a permit, or in contravention of any term or condition of a permit, be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $1,000.

Last edited:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Fucking PAP govt.. Prevent Dr Chee from selling book. is that public or private p

Oh dear, shooting their own feet? You can be assured of their ingenious explanation just like the ex AG explained how election candidates inside the polling station is not an offence.

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Re: Fucking PAP govt.. Prevent Dr Chee from selling book. is that public or private p

First time I know Tonychat is SDP's supporter :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Looks like somethings never change. Really disappointed that he is still does not get it. These are are not worth the angst or the trouble and does not build political capital. We all know the Singapore Govt conveniently interprets anything and everything according to what suits them. Any Singaporean aged 10 years old would realise that. There is no reason to belabour this point.

JBJ stood at street corners and outside Centrepoint to sell his books.

By confronting the Shopping Centre security and then calling the Police will only result in votes being lost as these are best petty confrontation and nuisance.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tony has been ardent supporter of SDP from the very start. he has encouraged donations to the party and has supported all its endeavours without fail.

My sense is that it does more damage to the party just by the association.

First time I know Tonychat is SDP's supporter :biggrin:

noname

Alfrescian
Loyal

The ex-AG CHAN SEK KEONG has been promoted to Chief Justice. Retiring soon but has enjoyed numerous benefits for towing the line.

Oh dear, shooting their own feet? You can be assured of their ingenious explanation just like the ex AG explained how election candidates inside the polling station is not an offence.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Looks like somethings never change. Really disappointed that he is still does not get it. These are are not worth the angst or the trouble and does not build political capital. We all know the Singapore Govt conveniently interprets anything and everything according to what suits them. Any Singaporean aged 10 years old would realise that. There is no reason to belabour this point.

JBJ stood at street corners and outside Centrepoint to sell his books.

By confronting the Shopping Centre security and then calling the Police will only result in votes being lost as these are best petty confrontation and nuisance.

oh please... By doing this , people will realise how stupid the sinkie govt is. Gone are the times where people see police as authority.. The new generation will see police as part of service being paid by tax. The old will die much like PAP.

YOur thinking is primitive as it belongs to the 60s, why not stay in the mountains.. it suits you.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Tony has been ardent supporter of SDP from the very start. he has encouraged donations to the party and has supported all its endeavours without fail.

Your sense is of the primitive. It is being looked down upon by the future and the new generation. Such primitive thinking is a liability for the future of everyone else. sensible people look at the future for new ways of doing things to improve, unlike old farts who stay at the status quo.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

By the way, in this instance the interpretation of "Public Place" is right as it based on public having accessand not that it owned by the state which is the operating feature. The interpretation is embedded in that piece of legislation. It is has been there since British colonial days. A private property which has given access to the public and is a known practice is sufficient. The Singapore public uses private property to reach transport access is a good example.

These incidents are what puts off professionals when it comes to SDP. They know full well that those in SDP leadership can read. Clearly again the issue of poor strategy and tactics come into the play and not to mention the ever looming suspicion that it is a compromised entity.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

By the way, in this instance the interpretation of "Public Place" is right as it based on public having accessand not that it owned by the state which is the operating feature. The interpretation is embedded in that piece of legislation. It is has been there since British colonial days. A private property which has given access to the public and is a known practice is sufficient. The Singapore public uses private property to reach transport access is a good example.

These incidents are what puts off professionals when it comes to SDP. They know full well that those in SDP leadership can read. Clearly again the issue of poor strategy and tactics come into the play and not to mention the ever looming suspicion that it is a compromised entity.

The whole freaking post of yours does not show the SDP is able to read or not, It only show the vanity of you to show everyone you can read. It makes no sense to put up any posts of yours just to flaunt your ego and vanity. A downright sinkie low life behaviour.

Last edited:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

You stood correct, booyahkasha

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thats right. The charge was a correct one. The public had access to it even when it was private property.
I say SDP see bay disappointing. Chee wasting his chance to be elected. Nobody wants a look like that to run his constituency

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Looks like the same old SDP story is going to start and repeat again. Rebel against laws and regulations, accuse AGC of not acting in good faith, a retaliation comes and the story goes on.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If I stand on the patch of grass downstairs of my block of flats, is that patch of grass I am standing on PUBLIC PROPERTY or PRIVATE PROPERTY (belonging to HDB). I am sure if I stand on that patch of grass & sing praises of PxP, it is Public Property & I am given private usage as long as I like, but I were to carry placards & protest the Japanese occupation of South China Sea Islands or PxP, I am sure it will be Private Property & I am a PUBLIC nuisance.

Don't think the professionals are stupid on this..many are just too well fed to bother..black or white...it is up to them. period!

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm a professional. But I am not at all put off by this episode leh. What's your point? :wink:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I'm a professional. But I am not at all put off by this episode leh. What's your point? :wink:

His point is he is telling all professional that he is a sinkie fucktard.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chee is not politics savvy. He engages in little acts like this which does nothing to further his cause, other than pointing out "the govt is unfair, it is PAP's tool to oppress democracy" which itself is a motherhood statement.

Much as you condemn Sinkies, you are the classic Sinkies who hang around and bitch around and cant do anything.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chee is not politics savvy. He engages in little acts like this which does nothing to further his cause, other than pointing out "the govt is unfair, it is PAP's tool to oppress democracy" which itself is a motherhood statement.

Much as you condemn Sinkies, you are the classic Sinkies who hang around and bitch around and cant do anything.

SDP should round up these supporters-spokepersons and send them for counselling. There's another one who argues by putting up irrelevant videos, and there's this Robox guy also.