• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Former ISD director on Hypocrisy in PM Lawrence Wong’s message of success

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.tremeritus.net/2024/06/29/hypocrisy-in-pm-lawrence-wongs-message-of-success

It must be the biggest guff ever uttered by a prime minister that can be the apex of hypocrisy.by a stateman. How can a sane (maybe questionable) PM Lawrence Wong spout such egregious crap in his message of emphazising the need for a broader definition of success in Singapore to move away from the SC's - cash, car, credit card, condominium and country club - citing their adverse effects.

What kind of abject hypocrisy is that when the prime minister and his cohorts are wallowing in luxury with their obscene astronimical pay while the plebeian Singaporeans are struggling with a high cost of living? PM Lawrence Wong has not even touched on the neccesity of reducing the obscene ministerial pay when there is now a torrent of of demand to start looking into the urgency of modifying down the astronomical ministerial salaries which PM Lawrence Wong may ignore at his peril.

There is a very caustic article in the Independent Singapore website today by Academic Prof Donald Low of Hong Kong University which calls out PAP's hypocrisy, blatant double standard and self-righteousness which he derided as contemptible..He does not mince his words in admonishing the PAP to stop its preaching and talking down to the people and check its hypocritical holier-than-thou attitude. Prof Low was the Associate Dean executive and education at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy at the National University of Singapore before he resigned in 2018. He now teaches at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.

His pungent critique covers the period from Lee Hsien Loong as prime minister and extends to our parvenu prime minister Lawrence Wong who started promisingly as an iconoclast but seems to slide into disorientation, especially on the critical matter of reducing he obscene ministerial pay. He seems to be enraptured by Lee Hsien Loong's affluent luxurious livelihood and the thought of relinguishing it is now an aversion to him, notwithstanding whether the queston of plundering the people's wealth can be a denouement into something more ominous now or in the future to force the hands of PM Lawrence Wong to concede to public demand.

Yoong Siew Wah
Mr. Yoong Siew Wah was the Director of Singapore’s Internal Security Department (ISD) from 1971 to 1974. He was Director of the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) in the 1960s, and had a distinguished career in the Singapore Special Branch in the 1950s.
-------------------

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
100% correct should claw back more than 70% of their pay and refund it to citizens over promise under deliver
Mercenaries would never agree to such a pay cut since it is precisely $$$ that drew them to the job in the 1st place.
Parliament.jpg

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is clear where ESM Goh Chok Tong's heart was when he said: "To any one of us here, $1 million is a lot of money. So where do you want to get your ministers from? From people who earn only $500,000 a year, whose capacity is $500,000 a year? So (when) I look for ministers, anybody who wants to be paid more than half a million, I won’t take him. You are going to end up with very very mediocre people, who can’t even earn a million dollars outside to be our minister. Think about that. Is it good for you, or is it worse for us in the end?"

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
You referring to the author of the article? Why you say he has mental issues?
Do u feel we have over empathsize on materialastic factors in our society?

Are we sending right message to our kids and setting a good example.

TBH, i am very supportive of PM Wong idea to move away from 5C. Our country need to think and chart a road for substainable future...rather than falsed prosperity mirages like Tiongkok had encountered

Last edited:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Do u feel we have over empathsize on matetialostic factors in our society?
I agree! It has become such a big part of sinkie life, which is so sad. Yes we need money to lead a comfortable life. Beyond that, it's useless. The pap can start the ball rolling by taking a pay cut. Then there'll be a trickle down effect.

Last edited:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yoong Siew Wah
Mr. Yoong Siew Wah was the Director of Singapore’s Internal Security Department (ISD) from 1971 to 1974. He was Director of the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) in the 1960s, and had a distinguished career in the Singapore Special Branch in the 1950s.

It's sad that even a former ISD director can go over to the dark side.

Willamshakespear

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is clear where ESM Goh Chok Tong's heart was when he said: "To any one of us here, $1 million is a lot of money. So where do you want to get your ministers from? From people who earn only $500,000 a year, whose capacity is $500,000 a year? So (when) I look for ministers, anybody who wants to be paid more than half a million, I won’t take him. You are going to end up with very very mediocre people, who can’t even earn a million dollars outside to be our minister. Think about that. Is it good for you, or is it worse for us in the end?"

It is an interesting perspective from our former PM & ESM Goh Chok Tong....

Do allow me to share a personal experience....

The insignificant nobody me once met up with old friends known since as kids at a cafe for breakfast, & thru the years, they matured & became CEOs & executives of blue chip stock companies, to close a deal. The deal went thru, they left, & I was left alone to work out the finer details of the deal thru my laptop.

It took me several hours, & by lunch, was feeling hungry, & even nostalgic as a rare gathering of known friends thru the years, as teens we would book a chalet at East Coast park, BBQ chicken wings & share discussions, had happy times, even right up to our NS service, a bond unbroken.

So within the shopping complex, I found an outlet that boasts BBQ buffalo chicken wings. Sadly, it tastes nothing like BBQ wings, even after eating 1/3 of it. I just smile at the cashier, paid the bill for rather expensive but tasteless food, & left instead to go to Chatterbox chicken rice at Mandarin Orchard, as it often evokes nostalgia, not just great & legendary food, even if not BBQ...far more expensive but a kind of COMFORT food to some...

I am not a fussy eater or an epicurean. Food to me is just to fill a BASIC need. As I am often busy, even a $5 cai peng at a hawker stall will serve my BASIC needs.

The point of this post is - nothing is for free in this World. Pay peanuts & one gets monkeys. It is good to give others a chance, but under situations of needs in a perennial world of conflicts & Humanity shortcomings , should one go for the untested or the tried & tested?

I humbly apologize to anyone who may be offended by my this post. It's not about ministers salaries, but about WHOM, although imperfect as NO mortal is perfect, can best meet our needs & lead us as an evolving Singaporean society & civilization.