• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Foodage - great Singaporean programme!!!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I only order if I see the bald old man helming the wok.
The son (also bald) frying skills lose out to the old man...you can actually taste the difference.
Shorty mbt is also a fan (saw his ugly photo displayed prominently)....have to wait for stall to reopen since now hc is under reno....

Have you tried the one at Bedok South block 16? It used to be from Hill street and moved to this area. However the hawker centre is under reconstruction (probably the 2nd time in less than 10 years)....(which stirs up my thoughts for another thread)

Its championship stuff... I always try to bring 2 fresh ducks' eggs for him to fry for me when he opens early at 11 amd I want a big plate for brunch....:wink:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you mean hum that is not over-cooked, try the stall opposite Lao Fu Zhi at Old Airport Rd Hawker Centre. The stall's name is Lucky I believe. The Kway Teow is less oily than most.

There is a 3rd stall there 东记...one man show run by a grumpy old man....he only open for half a day...my favorite stall among the 3.
Lao Fu Zi is overrated and no value for money...add extra hum is minimum $1 and you only get a few extra ones.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is a 3rd stall there 东记...one man show run by a grumpy old man....he only open for half a day...my favorite stall among the 3.
Lao Fu Zi is overrated and no value for money...add extra hum is minimum $1 and you only get a few extra ones.
NW, thanks! Always wonder which one is good. Lao Fu Zi queue seems to be longer. The stupid concept of if more people queuing, means better. Kiasuism.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hum should be added to everything: chicken rice, bak chor mee, claypot rice, fried carrot cake, chwee kway, porridge, lor mee, bak kut teh, roti prata, ice kachang, pizza, hamburgers.

Easy, tell that to the PRC hawker and they believe you that's the authentic Singaporean food.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NW, thanks! Always wonder which one is good. Lao Fu Zi queue seems to be longer. The stupid concept of if more people queuing, means better. Kiasuism.

Lao Fu Zi is more famous as they always voted by tv shows and magazines as number 1.
Maybe its because they use the retro banana leaves...sinkies are suckers for such things.

On char kway teow, I recently tried the one at parkway HC...Apollo
$3 serving just plain noodles kway teow and nothing else....No trace of egg or anything else. Counted 4 hums. Wtf! Even the dish looks whitish machiam saving on the black sauce....
But one taste changed everything...it was actually quite good with good wok hei despite lack of ingredients and i polished off the plate...
Now when I order I need to upsize.

Last edited:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Any wouLd be great Char kway teow must be fried with Lard oiL & with that Hump water poured over it..:wink:

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
On char kway teow, I recently tried the one at parkway HC...Apollo
$3 serving just plain noodles kway teow and nothing else....No trace of egg or anything else. Counted 4 hums. Wtf! Even the dish looks whitish machiam saving on the black sauce....
But one taste changed everything...it was actually quite good with good wok hei despite lack of ingredients and i polished off the plate...
Now when I order I need to upsize.

Recently tried it as well, totally disappointed as it was no longer the wet char kway teow type. Somemore bought 8 packs.. Sigh.. Not going back again. Missed the wet style..

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
There used to be a Fatty's CKT on Lavender Street, in one of those shophouses diagonally opp the casket houses. Lardful, hum..totally sinful. Is that still ard? It;s a corner shop.

Last edited:

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Outram CKT is also not bad (now located at the refurnished Hong Lim food Centre). they need to fry a little longer so not a good idea to go there during lunch ... a little earlier at 11 or latyer around 3 is best but later would mean the risk of not getting any as they might get sold out...

:smile:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Next Stop = 80s

BG01.jpg

Last week, Okto was showing the 70s on both b&w and color films.

Next stop - 80s. Thursday, 10 pm at Okto.

kakalut

Alfrescian
Loyal

Definitely 东记.....really don't understand the q for Laufuzi..it's one the worst CKT I have eaten.have to go before

1pm..though!!

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Outram CKT is also not bad (now located at the refurnished Hong Lim food Centre). they need to fry a little longer so not a good idea to go there during lunch ... a little earlier at 11 or latyer around 3 is best but later would mean the risk of not getting any as they might get sold out...

:smile:
Hehehe. Thanks for the info. Will include this in my food itinerary. If go Hong Lim, will also eat my favorite Ah Hui prawn noodle.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hehehe. Thanks for the info. Will include this in my food itinerary. If go Hong Lim, will also eat my favorite Ah Hui prawn noodle.

You know your prawn noodles bro....the other famous old hokkien street prawn noodles also used to be next door...is it still there?
I got 2 famous prawn noodles at my doorstep in old airport HC so now seldom need to venture far to get prawn noodles fix.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
1955 Is Ten Years After The War

This pic should be either Smith Street or Sago Lane.

Smith ? Iron smiths ? But, why call it Sago ? Never seen tis kind of scene before. A historic film in colour will be nice. The Chinatown we know today is rather clean and orderly.

[video=youtube;C2V7ZLMU9jk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2V7ZLMU9jk[/video]

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You know your prawn noodles bro....the other famous old hokkien street prawn noodles also used to be next door...is it still there?
I got 2 famous prawn noodles at my doorstep in old airport HC so now seldom need to venture far to get prawn noodles fix.
Yes, 2 stalls still around during last visit in January this year. Seems Ah Hui stall less customer now. The late Ah Hui started out as mobile stall and very famous in that area (Tong Ji and Tam Pin Kuay). Old folks from maternal side told me if he did not play horse, at least a few "Ang Moh Chu'.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: 1955 Is Ten Years After The War

Smith ? Iron smiths ? But, why call it Sago ? Never seen tis kind of scene before. A historic film in colour will be nice. The Chinatown we know today is rather clean and orderly.
Think name after some famous Ang Mohs.

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
nil

if given a chance, i would want to live in the olden days. agreed, technology brought lots of new stuff to us. Ipad, internet, smartphones. but look around you. don't u think all people regardless of citizen or foreigners, are soulless due to these tech stuffs.

nowadays, people walk with their head tilted down, pressing their iphones. sit inside public transport, people watching movies. i even seem in hawker centres, that mummies feed their child, while the child is watching cartoons on the iphone. total zero communication btw mother and child. what the heck is this??

in the olden days, whenever people gather, there will be lots of chatting, catching up on each other etc. yes, people chat now,but its different. when people pass their driving test and tell u, u will reply 'ho say la! eh sai zai zha bor chiong liao!. now, its a 'i have pass my driving :smile:' and u simply reply 'liked' by clicking THE icon.

so tell me people, u like the olden days or current?