• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dr Chee, a real threat to PAP... Democratically Speaking

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you sticking with pappies? good for you.
its a dead end road in case you dun already know.
FYI without PAP as govt...the world won't collapse overnight you know?
Not choosing PAP lah, but there are many people out there better than CSJ, CSJ wont be my 1st choice, not even considering him at all, lol

Y

Yip Hon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chee_Soon_Juan

Chee Soon Juan (simplified Chinese: 徐顺全; traditional Chinese: 徐順全; pinyin: Xú Shùnquán, born 1962) is a politician and political activist from Singapore. He is currently the leader of the opposition Singapore Democratic Party (SDP).

A controversial political figure, Chee has been arrested and jailed several times for his political activities, mainly for repeatedly breaking Singapore's laws requiring organisers to obtain a police permit before staging political demonstrations or making public speeches on political issues. He has also been sued for defamation on multiple occasions as a result of comments he has made about members of Singapore's governing People's Action Party (PAP). He is currently barred from standing in parliamentary elections because he was declared bankrupt in 2006 after failing to pay damages from a lawsuit owed to Singapore's former Prime Ministers, Lee Kuan Yew and Goh Chok Tong.

Chee joined the SDP in 1992, and became its Secretary-General following the resignation of the party's founder, Chiam See Tong (with whom Chee and the rest of the party's leadership have had a number of disagreements). The party had three Members of Parliament (MPs) at the time Chee took over as Secretary-General, but was reduced to no MPs at the 1997 general election and has not had any of its members elected to Parliament since then.

Chee is the Chairman of the Asian Alliance for Reforms and Democracy. He was a recipient of Parliamentarians for Global Action's "Defender of Democracy" award in 2003 [1] as well as Liberal International's "Prize for Freedom" award in 2011.[2][3]

Prior to entering politics, Chee was a Psychology lecturer at the National University of Singapore (NUS). However, he was dismissed from this position in 1993 after being accused of misappropriating research funds. He has since served as a fellow at the Monash Asia Institute (1997), the University of Chicago (2001), and the Reagan-Fascell Democracy Program at the National Endowment for Democracy in Washington, D.C. (2004).[4]

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I won't tear SDP down as long as no one uses SDP to tear WP or the rest down. Especially WP, because no point letting 6 hard-earned seats go to waste.

If I have to help build WP in my small ways, I will do so without putting them above the other opposition parties. I would rather put them above PAP. I will occasionally put a good word for SDP, NSP if they do something right.

My support for WP became more fervent after 2011 only for one reason - I listen to the people. They vote WP into 6 seats from 1 seat means they want WP to expand from these 6 seats into something more. However I will acknowledge any shortcomings WP has. (Not the kind of "shortcomings" its favourite critic Goh Meng Seng brings up.)

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chee_Soon_Juan

Chee Soon Juan (simplified Chinese: 徐顺全; traditional Chinese: 徐順全; pinyin: Xú Shùnquán, born 1962) is a politician and political activist from Singapore. He is currently the leader of the opposition Singapore Democratic Party (SDP).

A controversial political figure, Chee has been arrested and jailed several times for his political activities, mainly for repeatedly breaking Singapore's laws requiring organisers to obtain a police permit before staging political demonstrations or making public speeches on political issues. He has also been sued for defamation on multiple occasions as a result of comments he has made about members of Singapore's governing People's Action Party (PAP). He is currently barred from standing in parliamentary elections because he was declared bankrupt in 2006 after failing to pay damages from a lawsuit owed to Singapore's former Prime Ministers, Lee Kuan Yew and Goh Chok Tong.

Chee joined the SDP in 1992, and became its Secretary-General following the resignation of the party's founder, Chiam See Tong (with whom Chee and the rest of the party's leadership have had a number of disagreements). The party had three Members of Parliament (MPs) at the time Chee took over as Secretary-General, but was reduced to no MPs at the 1997 general election and has not had any of its members elected to Parliament since then.

Chee is the Chairman of the Asian Alliance for Reforms and Democracy. He was a recipient of Parliamentarians for Global Action's "Defender of Democracy" award in 2003 [1] as well as Liberal International's "Prize for Freedom" award in 2011.[2][3]

Prior to entering politics, Chee was a Psychology lecturer at the National University of Singapore (NUS). However, he was dismissed from this position in 1993 after being accused of misappropriating research funds. He has since served as a fellow at the Monash Asia Institute (1997), the University of Chicago (2001), and the Reagan-Fascell Democracy Program at the National Endowment for Democracy in Washington, D.C. (2004).[4]

Sorry most of his Wiki article has been edited by the man himself

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
All signs indicate that he is suitable for parliament to raise concerns and drive causes but not government. These are 2 different things. In many ways he is like JBJ - horses for causes. He is rather philosophical, quite abstract but not pragmatic nor effective in leadership.

VEry simple question, would you want CSJ to be the PM and lead the nation? Sorry, but my answer is a NO

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All signs indicate that he is suitable for parliament to raise concerns and drive causes but not government. These are 2 different things. In many ways he is like JBJ - horses for causes. He is rather philosophical, quite abstract but not pragmatic nor effective in leadership.

Although I find him a reasonably intelligent man, he is no credible match for the MIW. His public displays of dissent and civil disobedience also didn't really endear him to those sympathetic to his cause. A real pity.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Although I find him a reasonably intelligent man, he is no credible match for the MIW. His public displays of dissent and civil disobedience also didn't really endear him to those sympathetic to his cause. A real pity.
He cant control his vanity in the limelight, i thought he has learnt his lesson at the previous GE, but he still wanna go up stage and talk, heng his party members stop him.... too late for him really...

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
The term "confrontational" style is a label created by the PAP. There is nothing wrong with being confrontational and JBJ had a similar approach. The fault is not that Singaporeans are not ready or not prepared to accept him because of his style or brand of politics.

There are signs that CSJ and the party are leaning towards a more effective style. Lets hope he has his hour in the sun eventually.

You are right. What's wrong with being "confrontational" or fighting for our rights?

Look at the message. Not the messenger. The PAP paint a tainted image of CSJ. Cant we all see... it is the message that they do not touch? PAP know CSJ message is very damaging to their monopoly of truth. They can kill the messenger but not his message!

One day, which should not be too far away - sinkies will sadly come to realise in their stubborn skulls - the SDP's message should be the barometer of our existence. I rather give him and the SDP a chance.

PAP message as it is today, is empty and decaying. They are a dying party trying to stay relevant by putting down the truth. The people would see the truth soon if they have not already seen and read it (exception is this forum).

Just watch the coming National Day Rally speech this weekend and you know what I mean. Will be as empty as all those previous ones. Laughable story line and propaganda shits. No real truth but more gorenging here and there. Clown prince need to add three more new clowns to liven things up. Idea is to expose them early for the next GE.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have done 7 chapters..

the more i read, the more i nod my head with approval of what Dr Chee has written.

POWER!!!!! what an insight and learning...very intelligent!!

M

Mdm Tang

Former PMs Lee Kuan Yew and Goh Chok Tong have expressed 'no objection' to a composition offer of S$30,000 in order to settle and annul opposition politician Chee Soon Juan (pictured)'s damages. (Yahoo! file*…more*
Opposition politician Chee Soon Juan said Tuesday that former prime ministers Lee Kuan Yew and Goh Chok Tong have accepted his offer of $30,000 to settle his debts with them and get out of bankruptcy.

In a statement, Chee, who is secretary-general of the Singapore Democratic Party, said Lee and Goh “have indicated that they will accept” his compensatory offer, and that he will be working to raise the amount to pay them “as quickly as possible”, mainly through the sale of his books.

He also added that he plans to seek formal clearance of his bankruptcy in order to regain eligibility to stand in the 2016 general election. He appealed for donations from supporters to accelerate the process of his payment of the amount.

“I hope that this settlement with Mr Lee and Mr Goh will mark the end of a chapter of Singapore’s politics marred by defamation suits against opposition members,” he said in his statement. “I look forward... to a new era where political discourse is dominated by substantive debates on policies and ideas of how to take our country forward.”

Chee was previously sued for defamation by Lee and Goh in 2001 for accusations against them during the general election campaign period about an alleged loan to then-Indonesian president Suharto.

After he lost the suits to both Lee and Goh, he was declared bankrupt five years later for not being able to pay S$200,000 and S$300,000 in damages to them, respectively.

Chee was also sued and ordered to pay damages to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and his father in 2006 for an article he wrote in his party’s newsletter insinuating the government’s involvement in covering up the 2005 National Kidney Foundation scandal.

Once he pays off the S$30,000 to his Official Assignee, who manages his bankruptcy affairs, Goh, Lee and the Attorney-General’s Chambers will be required to vote formally on Chee’s offer before his bankruptcy will be officially annulled.