• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do your boss groom you?

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many employees here feel that bosses do not do enough to prepare them for success or give enough recognition for good work.

In a survey conducted by recruitment agency Kelly Services, only 46 per cent of 900 Singaporeans said that their efforts at work are recognised and rewarded.

The finding ranks Singapore the lowest out of seven territories in the Asia-Pacific.

India ranks the highest, at 64 per cent.

The poll was part of an annual Kelly Global Workforce Index survey done from October last year to January this year.

Respondents in Singapore gave their bosses an average rating of 6.5 out of 10.

Only 37 per cent said their bosses did well in preparing them for success.

Ms Melissa Norman, managing director of Kelly Services Singapore and Malaysia, said the survey shows that employers should not complacently believe "that their top talent will stay with them purely out of loyalty".

"Providing a work environment which is inclusive and allows for better boss-staff interaction is key to retaining talent in today's workplace," she said.

Mr Josh Goh, assistant director for corporate services at human-resources consultancy The GMP Group, said employers here tend to be more results- oriented.

Expectations differ, he said, as employees prefer bosses who are more caring.

This mismatch could lead to employees feeling frustrated or disengaged.

Mr William Gordon, a manager in the commercial finance and IT-commerce division of recruitment firm Robert Walters Singapore, said companies here expect diligence from their staff.

Employees may work long hours, but employers may not recognise and reward such efforts, he said.

He added that employers "may focus more on immediate revenue-generating plans" rather than grooming their team.

Employers my paper spoke to say the problem may lie with mindsets.

Mr Sem Chong, managing director of Bluetree Electronics, believes that Asian bosses tend to "decide everything and have little or no confidence in the staff's ability to execute plans".

For his part, Mr Chong tries to delegate more jobs to build staff confidence. He also provides remuneration and perks to retain good staff.

Most Singapore bosses employ employees "to do a job" rather than develop their career, said Mr Terence Mak, chief executive of 3rd Planet, an online interactive 3-D travel portal.

When people do not see opportunities to grow, "complacency sets in...and good staff have issues and start blaming their bosses", he said.

His company does not have a "top-down approach", but encourages all to contribute.

Ms Jolin Goh, 26, a human- resources executive, has been working for more than three years but has not been promoted despite positive appraisals.

"I feel disappointed that my efforts have gone unrecognised. I'll leave if I still don't get a promotion."

What workers think of their bosses Less than half, or 46 per cent of 900 respondents in Singapore, feel that their efforts at work are recognised and rewarded.

Only 37 per cent of respondents believe their bosses have done a good job in preparing them for success.

Forty-one per cent said they were not prepared well. The rest were uncertain.

Nearly half of the respondents, or 48 per cent, described their organisation's leadership culture as either "empowering" or "inclusive".

However, 30 per cent described it as "authoritative" or "oppressive". The rest responded either "don't know" or "other".

Half of the respondents would be willing to recommend their current employer to a friend or acquaintance.

SOURCE: KELLY SERVICES

[email protected]

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see alot of Grooming in our politics...

Ex-MM Lee groom Goh & xiao Lee
WP Low groom his successor Yaw shin long
NSP Goh meng seng groom Nicole Seah
JBJ groom his son Kenneth
Xiao Lee grooming Xiao xiao Lee...

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
If your boss dun groom you, its okay...just show him this.

Red-Sox_fan.jpg

Checker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Part of Kelly Services business is to employ temporary contractors on behalf of firms, who pay salary through Kelly. Actually perpetuates the problem they've identified. Provides contract workers who're technically not really part of the company and don't really need to be groomed or developed.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkieland will never produce a Sony or a Toyota with such short termism in business. :smile:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Which ancient centuries did these sinkie comes from? At this time, still got this caveman thinking.

Now 20+ year old creative brain are earning millions from apps and websites which are created by them. Sinkies are so disgracefully backward.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
ya ya ya. But what have you achieved yourself? You could be worse off than any of us despite your hot air.

Which ancient centuries did these sinkie comes from? At this time, still got this caveman thinking.

Now 20+ year old creative brain are earning millions from apps and websites which are created by them. Sinkies are so disgracefully backward.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
imho, if the boss groom you, you might be his future competitor, grabbing a stake in the profit.
humans are naturally selfish...so...:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
imho, if the boss groom you, you might be his future competitor, grabbing a stake in the profit.
humans are naturally selfish...so...:biggrin:

Many bosses are afraid you might take away their jobs.
Some will even sabo you to prevent this from happening :eek: It's a dog eat dog out there just ask LKY, the sabo king of Spore :rolleyes:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some will even sabo you to prevent this from happening :eek: It's a dog eat dog out there just ask LKY, the sabo king of Spore :rolleyes:

Dog eat dog, eventually all you're left with are carcasses. Kuan Yew doesn't know what's enlightened self-interest. He probably hasn't heard of market failure either.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes, esp in MNC many in same department but 1 managerial post, dont sharpen your knife, play politics, 10 years down the road, same old position.
but this is for survival, if u dont do the same, u mati.

兵不厌诈, 这是战争 :biggrin:

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes, esp in MNC many in same department but 1 managerial post, dont sharpen your knife, play politics, 10 years down the road, same old position.
but this is for survival, if u dont do the same, u mati.

兵不厌诈, 这是战争 :biggrin:

I've got experience working in MNC & what I see is that many locals are being replaced by FT:(

Even if they play politics successfully they will eventually be replaced by a foreigner. If they cooperate with other Sporeans, they might last longer but will also eventually be replaced.
It's a no win situation & that's why I tell people who are considering leaving Spore to go for it:rolleyes:

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've got experience working in MNC & what I see is that many locals are being replaced by FT:(

Even if they play politics successfully they will eventually be replaced by a foreigner. If they cooperate with other Sporeans, they might last longer but will also eventually be replaced.
It's a no win situation & that's why I tell people who are considering leaving Spore to go for it:rolleyes:

Probably because locals are lazy, expensive and unreliable?

Some introspection would be a good idea.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Probably because locals are lazy, expensive and unreliable?

Some introspection would be a good idea.

Actually many of my Sporean MNC colleagues are pretty good, much better than many of the angmo staff. MNCs don't hire entry level staff, all my colleagues have got experience working for other MNCs
Unfortunately for the Spore staff the "Spore system" saboed them. It was easy for the Australians to come in & replace the Sporeans because of our lax labor laws.

It started with one senior australian manager being transferred to the Spore office & then he started replacing the local staff with Aussies. Many of the local staff saw what was going on & jumped ship. With their experience they were able to easily get other jobs with MNCs.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
My boss seems to be grooming that nice tight ass 19yr old intern that just arrived 2 days ago, Gossiping shall ensure soon enough.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
The one thing i noticed in Singapore companies is, there seem to be constant competition between colleagues and many old birds wont share their knowledge to newbies.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The one thing i noticed in Singapore companies is, there seem to be constant competition between colleagues and many old birds wont share their knowledge to newbies.

It's an unhealthy situation. If everyone is worried about job security, how can they work effectively?

Maybe that's why local companies have never made an impact globally. Everyone is too busy playing poilitics.