• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Defending our Nation's Cover Values

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I have stared at this screen for hours before I could put my thoughts on it. The emotions and feelings within is so complex that I couldn't even find an appropriate title for this posting.

But I know I have to write this because this is a vital crossroad that our country has reached. I feel emotional because I feel that I have been cheated for over 30 years of my life for believing in the basic founding principles of our Nation.

I will never Pledge anything that is "UNREALISTIC" nor "Highfalutin". How could one Pledge to do something that he doesn't even believe in? Furthermore, I do not think that the late Mr. Rajaratnam has written our National Pledge with such "disbelief" to start with.

The PAP refuses to acknowledge that these founding principles and spirit are the key guiding stars of our Nation's development. The reason is simple, they could not answer for their deeds for the past 44 years that have deviated away from these CORE VALUES.

PAP may want to argue its way out of its shameless pervasive acts of extending its monopoly of power which has slowly eroded the fundamental values which this Nation has been founded upon. But there is not a single doubt that the Pledge, as well as our National Flag, have enshrined and embedded all these values permanently to remind us, the present and future generations that what this Nation should be striving for.

Our National Flag, unlike the Pledge which sound like empty words to PAP's ears, is the most important representation of our Nation.

The National Flag symbolizes the following:

<span style="font-weight:bold;"><a href="http://app.www.sg/who/42/National-Flag.aspx">Red symbolises universal brotherhood and the equality of man, while white signifies pervading and everlasting purity and virtue. The crescent moon represents a rising young nation. The five stars stand for the nation's ideals of democracy, peace, progress, justice and equality.</a></span>

EQUALITY appears TWICE in this elaboration of what our National Flag symbolizes. But yet, our PAP ministers have just brush it aside as "UNREALISTIC"?

Words of the Pledge could be so twisted or even ignored by the PAP but I think the Five Stars on our National Flag are not something that the PAP could deny altogether. Yes, the National Flag has specifically enshrined "DEMOCRACY, PEACE, PROGRESS, JUSTICE AND EQUALITY" as "the nation's ideals". It is not just mere "aspirations", so to speak.

Our attention should not be diverted by the racial cards flashed by PAP. Equality comes in many forms and helping minority races who might have been disadvantaged in certain ways are not discrimination but affirmative actions to provide level playing field to achieve equal opportunities for all. Some bloggers have dealt with this issue and I shall not repeat it here. The key issue here is whether we should discard all these Core Values as the guardians of this Nation.

Both the Pledge and National Flags are the creation of PAP itself as it was the dominating ruling party since Singapore was forced into independence. These ideals are the very Promises that PAP has made to Singaporeans; to uphold the ideals of Democracy, Peace, Progress, Justice and Equality. We, as a nation and a people have accepted these values as the CORE VALUES and IDEOLOGIES for our Nation building. We should hold any ruling parties, especially PAP, past, present or future, accountable to these fundamental principles. It is not just about Racial equality but the whole set of CORE VALUES.

To illustrate this important point, let's say if a political party took over as Singapore's ruling party but suddenly it decides to turn Singapore into a monarchy. Or turn Singapore into a Religious based country. Or that it decides to change the Constitution to follow the China's style of political system and declare that this political party will forever be the Ruling Party while the parliament will be filled with appointed or even "elected" people's representative because we are Asian country and we should follow "Asian political system". Or this ruling party promotes apartheid policies under the excuse of "stability"...

Should Singaporeans just accept the excuse of such ruling parties that the founding values embedded in our Pledge as well as our National Flag as "UNREALISTIC" and it is only "REALISTIC" for us to become a country ruled by a religious doctrine or a monarch or full dictatorship etc.?

Of course not! Thus, these values are not just "aspirations", so to speak, but CORE VALUES and guiding principles of this Nation! Singaporeans should revolt against such ruling parties who try to distort our Constitution and rule against the founding principles of this Nation!

Thus, we should not belittle such Ideals and Principles embedded in our Pledge and National Flag by branding them as "aspirations" or "unrealistic highfalutin ideals". These are the guiding lights of our Nation, without which, we will be endangering our Nation to be destroyed by dictatorship or religious fanatics.

I have specifically put up the idea of reciting the National Pledge during the last election rally at Serangoon Stadium during last General Elections basically because I find it necessary to remind all Singapore voters what we are fighting for. What direction our Nation should develop into and we should not be blinded by those "pragmatic talks" of PAP politicians about the "unnecessary hassle" of having "opposition MPs" in parliament.

A political system without the balance of opposition force within will definitely slip into total dictatorship. Anyone who tries to sell you the idea that Democracy could well be alive even without opposition parties are dictators under the cloak of fake Democracy. Anyone who tries to sell you the idea that "Nominated MPs" could do all the magic of what real opposition MPs can do, is trying to hoodwink you into believing that Democracy could well work with "appointed MPs". There are two political systems that work this way in Asia: China and North Korea. Both are communist countries. Is Singapore working towards that direction?

It seems that PAP is trying out that formula and they are openly and deliberately saying it out loud of such intention recently in their Party newsletter, Petir. That article actually claims that we could well have Democracy without opposition parties! Singaporeans should raise their awareness and be guarded of such subtle but bold intention of PAP in selling such twisted idea to us.

All along PAP leaders have been saying that "Western Democracy" is not suitable to Singapore. What is the intent of such political discourse? PAP leaders have been saying that the American two party system is not suitable for us, least the multi-party parliamentary system. In numerous occasions, PAP leaders have stressed that Singapore should have only one DOMINATING RULING PARTY by default, PAP,to survive. PAP's intention to maintain its TOTAL Monopolistic grip on power is very obvious. Is this why they are not wary of bringing up the Pledge as the guiding ideology of Singapore now?

Are they planning to further enhance the idea that Nominated MPs should replace elected MPs and thus opposition parties should be made redundant? Or would they do away with elections altogether and promise to nominate at least certain number of opposition members into parliament? This would suit their "ideal" of having PAP as permanently the dominating ruling party! All under the pretext that the idea of "Democracy" is "UNREALISTIC" or "IMPRACTICAL" for Singapore's economic progress?

These changes may not be made so soon but history has shown that PAP would go all the way to change the rules of the game if the situation is not in their favor. They have implemented the GRC system after losing two parliamentary seats in 1984. They would further increase the size of GRC when they nearly lost Eunos GRC in 1988. Needless to say, they would alter the electoral boundaries of constituencies just to lower the chance of them losing more seats. GRC is their fortress of Power monopoly.

I do not know what they will change next if they finally lose one or more GRCs! To get rid of general elections altogether and promise more NOMINATED MPs in return? If that happens one day and Singaporeans just let it happens without a fight, it would be the end of Democratic Singapore founded upon the fundamental principles and ideology of Democracy, Peace, Progress, Justice and Equality. A new era of total dictatorship will dawn upon us.

To end this article, which may make me the target board of PAP machineries hereafter, I would like to share the following song with all true blue Singaporeans who are determined to defend and develop democracy in Singapore.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z54zJ10eGyA&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z54zJ10eGyA&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Goh Meng Seng

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
How could you have ever believed that an entire nation that is obsessed with $$$$$$ at the expense of all else actually has a core value system in the first place?:rolleyes:

Absolutely NOTHING is built upon a value system as a foundation. EVERYTHING is based upon a monetary bottom line.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ZcDena8fkY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>​

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
How could you have ever believed that an entire nation that is obsessed with $$$$$$ at the expense of all else actually has a core value system in the first place?:rolleyes:

Absolutely NOTHING is built upon a value system as a foundation. EVERYTHING is based upon a monetary bottom line.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ZcDena8fkY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>​

Sam,

I do agree with you that in certain degree that Singaporeans are more concerned about money and their bread and butter problems. But there are also times that they do care about certain values.

Take for example, the 1984 elections. Voters have shown that they do value EQUALITY when they voiced and voted against PAP when it wanted to put up preferential treatments for "Graduate Mothers". That was rare instance that Singaporeans assert their voice through their votes.

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Re: Defending our Nation's Core Values

Pardon me for the spelling mistake on the title. It should read CORE Values, not COVER Values.

Goh Meng Seng

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have stared at this screen for hours before I could put my thoughts on it.

Stare at a screen for hours? Why are u so foolishly using your name in a forum like this?

You should be spending the hours more constructively.

Aiyah...no wonder the MIWs so long in power. Jokers like you against them. But dont give up hope. Many tualn with them so maybe u still have chance.

But in the meantime, why dont you just get lost from this forum or just use a name like JokerGoh? Using your real name isnt going to do you any good. As ti is, you have already made so many mistakes in your posts. Are you really a grad? Just my 2 cts advise.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Those who has made it are those who are already out of sinkieland...

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Stare at a screen for hours? Why are u so foolishly using your name in a forum like this?

You should be spending the hours more constructively.

Aiyah...no wonder the MIWs so long in power. Jokers like you against them. But dont give up hope. Many tualn with them so maybe u still have chance.

But in the meantime, why dont you just get lost from this forum or just use a name like JokerGoh? Using your real name isnt going to do you any good. As ti is, you have already made so many mistakes in your posts. Are you really a grad? Just my 2 cts advise.

Haha. I am staring but not blankly, that's the difference.

There is nothing wrong with using my real name, unlike some other politician wannaba who only dare to hide behind nicks here. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

jw5

Loyal
Haha. I am staring but not blankly, that's the difference.

There is nothing wrong with using my real name, unlike some other politician wannaba who only dare to hide behind nicks here. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng
The best way that you can defend your nation is by getting into parliament.
You may have meant "core" values, but you ended up typing "cover" values. Perhaps some significance there.

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
All my life, I have never imagined we will come to a
stage where the fundamentals of our pledge has been
changed. I have begun to see that all those little unpopular
changes as pushing the limits to how much bull the people
can stomach.

Obviously, the people can accept a lot after this. There is
no point in feeling sad, as long as there are landslide
victories to attest that the electorals accept this. Even
if the majority of the voters did not vote, the sample from
those that did shows that this is the way the voters want.

Even the malays vote for them, who are we to question
what they want, when they do not feel that they are treated
unfairly.

The majority will speak again in a short while, and the answer
will remain the same. I just have to accept that they vote for
whats best for themselves.

Afterall, I did benefit from the leftover crumbs greatly, why
should I shed a tear for these people who have chosen, who
are way beneath me. I am not going to raise my hopes for the
next elections. And I do hope CSJ and the rest see the light
and start living life for themselves.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Haha... A mistake of irony? :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

I think that you might have unwittingly, or typographically, stumbled onto coining a new term for the English language or at least English political language, "cover values". What a term, what an appropriate description for what Lee K.Y. might have meant, i.e. these are cover values, not core values. Well done, Cpt. Goh. Even if you shot an enemy target by misfiring, it's still a hit and you should get your ribbon. :biggrin:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Nice one Capt (NS) Goh Meng Seng, i hope SAF will hang you from the balls first and neck once a war begins for your treasonous ways and you don't even deserve the dignity of a firing squad.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Red and White for "Big Brother Soekarno's" Indonesia, the cresent moon and one star appeasing the overwhelming religious majority around us, and left over 4 stars representing Singapore's kowtowing to the 4 Muslim geographic entities (Brunei, Penninsula Msia, East Msia, Indonesia)

Pardon my scepticism, but I've always suspected red and white flag is meant to confuse Indonesia, the crescent moon and stars meant to confuse Malaysia. Whether "ideals" they're purported to represent were later add-ons, or to put it bluntly, embellishments and disguises.

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Defending our Nation's Core Values

Interestingly I thought "cover values" sounded appropriate as well.

But...he stared at the glowing rectangular screen for hours.

Maybe that explains why it is cover values and not Core values.!

It could have been worse...if he had done it for days instead of hours.!
Clone Values
Clown Values
Covert Values
Corpse Values.

Just kidding !!

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
haha! You can speculate on what the Flag means but these are taken from Singapore's Constitution, reproduced on official website like the Singapore Heritage and OneSingapore.com

Goh Meng Seng

Not to pop your little balloon GMS, but taken in the context then of Seperation and Confrontasi, the Singapore flag was conceived out of appeasement for powers surrounding us.

Red and White for "Big Brother Soekarno's" Indonesia, the cresent moon and one star appeasing the overwhelming religious majority around us, and left over 4 stars representing Singapore's kowtowing to the 4 Muslim geographic entities (Brunei, Penninsula Msia, East Msia, Indonesia)

I would not hold high the lofty BS ideals of the flag spun up by some LKY lapdog....It's better off to think that the Merlion was a legend of the ancients and not some cheap shot tourist gimmick invented by the STPB.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You be celebrating if you make minimum combined household of 15,688.

Anything less, you are just cattle .