• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

David & Wendy

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
May be, should be cool rather than "cooling"

Haha Charlie :smile: At this rate, I wouldn't dare to pen any more pieces in future. :o I am now psychologically scared by my atrocious English :eek:

Just kidding. Thanks for the correction. :smile:

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be honest, my English is not very good. :o
It's only good enough for certain things that I happen to be quite knowledgeable about, i.e. as long as I know enough about something, I'm confident that I'm able to explain it in sufficient detail so that my listener/reader can understand what I'm talking about (as long as they have enough patience to bear with my long-windedness sometimes :o), even if they don't agree with, or don't like, what I'm saying.

Hi Ru, as long as you do not speak in tongues, I am sure I can understand you perfectly :smile:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..far better than me in the usage of the English language. ..am a young novice, merely verbalising my thoughts on what I encounter in my daily life. In fact, I am really thankful that the forum's owner has not "terminated" my membership, given his strong emphasis on proper spelling and good grammar
Leongsam's English is also quite good, but although I'm sure his is not as good....not sure if his is on the same level
TS, you doing fine with your command of language. And we are all fallible, typos not excluded. Your misgivings on life's foibles, may not sit well with some detractors. Sinkies can be "complaint kings", this trait is quite evident elsewhere in other threads here and other forums.

As for rurouni's piece, think comparison is subjective. On Sam's, he expresses himself clearly -even if he's schizo on his ethnicity :p.

Language is about communication, and let's not muddle others with unnecessary "bombastic" vocabulary (not you). To that, I can only say: am intoxicated by exuberance of your verbosity.:wink:

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
TS, you doing fine with your command of language. And we are all fallible, typos not excluded. Your misgivings on life's foibles, may not sit well with some detractors. Sinkies can be "complaint kings", this trait is quite evident elsewhere in other threads here and other forums.

As for rurouni's piece, think comparison is subjective. On Sam's, he expresses himself clearly -even if he's schizo on his ethnicity :p.

Language is about communication, and let's not muddle others with unnecessary "bombastic" vocabulary (not you). To that, I can only say: am intoxicated by exuberance of your verbosity.:wink:

Good morning Panda :smile:

I am reading your post in a crowded morning train now. Thanks for your kind words. I assume verbosity means talkative. Yes I am, since kindergarten :smile:

In fact, I wrote another piece when I was lying on my bed last night but I was too lazy to post.

I don't think I want to do it now in the train. Just in case someone is peeping into my phone.

Ttyl :smile:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sakedo demanded that he divorce or divorced ? This is something that has always confused me - subjunctive mood and verb tense. My understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, is that the tense of indicative verb (demanded) can change but not the subjunctive verb indicating the imagined action (divorce).

Subjunctive mood:
Sakedo demanded that he divorce.
Indicative mood: Sakedo demanded that he divorced.

In this case, since Claire wanted to convey a sense of the strong insistence on Sakedo's part, the subjunctive mood would be more appropriate.

Isn't this a reported speech ? Except for universal truth (the earth is a sphere and lizard is a reptile), shouldn't verbs in a reported speech be expressed in the past tense ?

Not necessarily. Present tense is also used in reported speech for something that still stands true at the time of reporting.

Both the following sentences are right, with different nuances:

I told you last night that I love you.
= I still love you
I told you last night that I loved you. = I loved you last night, but I may or may not love you today

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh dear, you guys are perfectionists. What an exposition on usages of the English language. Thank you guys :smile:

As I did promise Panda, I will cut and paste the piece I wrote last night :smile:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Subjunctive mood:
Sakedo demanded that he divorce.
Indicative mood: Sakedo demanded that he divorced.

In this case, since Claire wanted to convey a sense of the strong insistence on Sakedo's part, the subjunctive mood would be more appropriate.

Not necessarily. Present tense is also used in reported speech for something that still stands true at the time of reporting.

Both the following sentences are right, with different nuances:

I told you last night that I love you.
= I still love you
I told you last night that I loved you. = I loved you last night, but I may or may not love you today

Thanks bro. Been very educational here. Do continue to enlighten.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You need it. For an Oxford graduate, your English is pretty poor. :wink:

My five "O" level passes does not make me eligible to request the application forms for Oxford University.
Therefore, needless to say, my English is poor, or may be just average.
I have to continue to learn.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Charlie99 - since when SU same same as Oxford?

Thank you to Mr. Phillip Liau who allowed me to continue Pre-U at RI.
I was fortunate to be admitted to SU, and with the help of my classmates, passed all the exams without any "re" and graduate.
Count my lucky stars.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
During my time in school in Singapore, I do not believe that they taught me that "level" of the English language.

jw5

Loyal
My five "O" level passes does not make me eligible to request the application forms for Oxford University.
Therefore, needless to say, my English is poor, or may be just average.
I have to continue to learn.

For someone who claims to be poor or average in English, you have a lot of cheek to go around correcting the English of others in an internet forum. :wink:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For someone who claims to be poor or average in English, you have a lot of cheek to go around correcting the English of others in an internet forum. :wink:

I may be average, but wish to correct the little that I know.
If you are unhappy, or feel superior, then please skip my posts.
Enjoy your day.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Claire, you worry too much. You need to see a psychologist, a real one (must have Phd from reputable foreign university), not the half past six ones produced by NUS.

jw5

Loyal
I may be average, but wish to correct the little that I know.
If you are unhappy, or feel superior, then please skip my posts.
Enjoy your day.

I am neither unhappy nor superior, please carry on with your posts. Hope the weather is fine and you have a good day. :wink: