• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Common S’pore identity has yet to develop: Former president Nathan

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many years ago, I was chatting with my ex-gf on a beach in Bali when a white woman seated not far from us came over to ask if we were from Singapore. I said yes and asked how she knew. She explained that she was a hairdresser from Hawaii and had some Singaporean clients. Over the years she began to pick up the nuances of Singaporean speech. I should add that I do not speak in what is often said to be Singlish.

That incident suggested to me that at least in our speech, we have been evolving a distinct identity. Yet, like every other aspect of our culture, the PAPzis have told us we are inadequate and that we should sound more like some other people.

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually we have developed a spore identity.
But the pappies destroy it by condemning singlish and take preference of FT over local sporeans.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
So that bugger singlish exterminator is actually trying to eradicate Singapore's culture? :eek:

Actually we have developed a spore identity.
But the pappies destroy it by condemning singlish and take preference of FT over local sporeans.

Windsor2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
We never did have a chance to establish an identity apart from the negative ones such as kiasu. Singlish is still very much part of our identity but that is not very desirable.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is not about Singlish - it is about a discernibly distinct variety of English that is also internationally understood. Instead of allowing that variety to emerge, the PAPzis have tried their best to kill it. The resulting impact is, of course, completely the opposite - the educated shied away from pushing that variety, leaving any variation from the norm to the uneducated Singlish.

We never did have a chance to establish an identity apart from the negative ones such as kiasu. Singlish is still very much part of our identity but that is not very desirable.

Simbian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course we had a Singaporean identity - it emerged even as the Brits tried their best to do their 'divide-and-conquer' thing and we were pretty much part of a larger Malayan culture.

If anything, the obvious conclusion you can garner that it has kept mutating over the years, due to various forces - primarily government - shaping our society.

BTW, if any of you guys took any sociology or similar modules in Arts and Social Science, you will know that this topic has been flogged so many times that this is pretty much a dead horse among the faculty there.

Frankly, I would have thought Nathan had enough sense to keep his mouth sealed after his retirement. After all, it is better to keep silent and be thought as a fool, then opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly, I would have thought Nathan had enough sense to keep his mouth sealed after his retirement. After all, it is better to keep silent and be thought as a fool, then opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

So what has he been doing to earn at least $40 million for the last 12 years as president ?
Flipping roti-prata ?

huahero

Alfrescian
Loyal
文化部长
We used to have a Ministry of Culture led by Culture Minister, S Rajaratnam. I guess they must have given up and lump everything together into Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts (MICA).

Windsor2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
It seems he has failed his presidency by not doing enough to make the country and it's peoples more cohesive. 12 years was not long enough to achieve it or was it because he tried but the government's policies was undoing his good works?