• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Clark Quay hotel fuck up wedding dinner, then call in mata when couple refuse to pay

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Clark Quay hotel fuck up wedding dinner, then call in mata when couple refuse to

Not paying is not against the law if food, drink or service isn't delivered as promised. It's just a civil dispurte as to who's more reasonable and on more reasonable grounds. That's why the age-old tradition, whether western or eastern, eat and drink first, pay later.

Last edited:

The Penetrator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Clark Quay hotel fuck up wedding dinner, then call in mata when couple refuse to

Last month I attended a friend's wedding in a RWS restaurant. It was a wedding lunch, not dinner. The food was also bad. Every friend and relative were grumping making the new couple very embarrassed. If I ever get married, I won't want a wedding lunch or dinner. I think book a honeymoon tour package is enough.

I also don't want any wedding dinner! We're a dream couple! Match make in heaven !

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

The reason for hosting a proper wedding dinner is to provide seed money for the new couple. Unless you ordered the cake in gold, you are expected to to cover the entire costs of the wedding including the honeymoon and some renovation.

Most guest would know what is the cost of the table and top it up. The only reason some people cannot have more tables is the venue limitation.

It looks like we don't even known how important Chinese weddings are why these are held in this manner.

I can understand if they are introvert couple, have few friends etc, but the majority should have little excuse.

I can never understand why people cough up so much money for a 10 course meal that doesn't even taste good. Just go to ROM and sign on the line. Save the money for the honeymoon and renovations.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If I ever get married, I won't want a wedding lunch or dinner. I think book a honeymoon tour package is enough.

Great minds think alike! Agree with your first point.

Why join package tour? Should explore places as a couple not in a big group and be dictated by time. Like that, where's the romance man?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

should we settle for wedding breakfast or wedding brunch, there is a thread in here somewhere suggested some very good breakfast for us to consider :wink: :smile: :biggrin:

Another option - wedding supper. Eat roti-prata can liao. Or tim-sum at Swee Choon. Can have the wedding supper after chionging at KTV.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

wat a sad wedding.

hotel must have the ability to cope but it might not fully the hotel fault coz sometimes ppl thinking when they pay for services,
they are to treated like king and sibei yaya papaya.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal

Batam? Cheap and good. If seasick, JB then.
actually he should have ask "where's your dream honeymoon destination?"
if what then the question should be "What's your dream honeymoon activity?"

tio bo?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's a civil dispute. Police shouldn't have responded unless there's a fight going on, which apparently there's none. This type of cases always give the impression that whoever calls police first in a dispute wins. That's not the case if I'm the attending officer. I'll fuck the caller up and tell him/her to call lawyer.

I half suspect police responded to prevent breach of peace. Ops room is responsible for despatching police resources and whoever answered the call either opined there was a need to respond or too inexperienced to 'jaw' this case away.

If police did not respond and incident escalated to a near riot between friends of the couple and hotel management, how is the Public Affairs Dept of the SPF going to account for this?

Being an ex-pau, you know the CYA culture best. If riot takes place after police responded, easier to account to bossess. Being AIO previously, you know crime scene must be visited even if you do nothing there. Mere presence ensures half battle is won.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Then let me test you. What's your dream honeymoon destination?

The correct answer should be, wherever you want, dear.

I half suspect police responded to prevent breach of peace. Ops room is responsible for despatching police resources and whoever answered the call either opined there was a need to respond or too inexperienced to 'jaw' this case away.

If police did not respond and incident escalated to a near riot between friends of the couple and hotel management, how is the Public Affairs Dept of the SPF going to account for this?

Being an ex-pau, you know the CYA culture best. If riot takes place after police responded, easier to account to bossess. Being AIO previously, you know crime scene must be visited even if you do nothing there. Mere presence ensures half battle is won.

Yes, Ops Room will play safe and patrol car will play safe. Then AIO/IO make a hell of noice but still all play safe, especially branded establishment involved.

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal

I didn't have any trouble with the food on my wedding nite because my brother inlaw the the chief chef of that restaurant :smile: Only prob it was not a 5star rest like nowadays but 1 of those family rest way back in the 70s with a stage and live performance singers from malaysia and taiwan :smile: Got sharkfin, suckling pig and yam ring and 1 table cost me just over $200 back then during the late 70s

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal

I totally agree with what Scroobal has stated.
It is a purely civil dispute.
Both affected parties can "pray for a private summons" before the Learned Magistrate in the Sub Courts to seek redress.
The police officers attending the dispute should never had made any "order".
That would be "ultra-vires" their powers under the Police General Orders and Force Act.
I suggest, that the Police Divisional HQs conduct special induction courses for its officers and invite people from the legal fraternity to give talks.
This will widen the scope of the police officers knowledge.
Maybe, the time is ripe now since the Ministry of Home Affairs is led by Mr Teo Chee Hean and not WKS.

Yes, I agree entirely with Scroobal's comments. And your follow-up comments are pretty solid as well. It could well been that the hotel had called in the police as the couple was creating a scene, refusing to leave and disturbing the peace of other hotel guests etc. For that, the police is the right party to handle the situation. But they should had restricted themselves to merely advising the couple to seek legal redress through a lawyer as it is a private civil dispute rather than protracting the argument with the hotel at the dinner venue which will come to no avail even if it goes on till the next morning. It is absolutely beyond the powers of the police to advise the couple to pay up first because that could be legally prejudice to their case and unwittingly put them at a disadvantage when the matter goes to the court. What this episode simply means is the things that our police should do they don't do. The things they should not do, they do. And also that in this forum, we have very knowledgable, experienced and intellectual people like scroobal and kohliantye (I am sure there are plenty more here in this forum) to give this forum a great deal of respectability than what the PAP had tried to discredit.

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal

Next time do govt contract give fak up goods and quote chip chip. Govt don't pay, call in Mata. Anyone know which hotel?

Last edited: