• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Citizen vs PR

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Someone raise the issue of Citizen vs PR.

http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?t=33989

However other then the HDB and as usual, the NS issue, the thread starter did not really go too into the other details of Citizen vs PR.

This is the official benefits between Citizen and PRs direct from ICA website(think I've posted this somewhere before)
http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/docs/BenefitsPrivilegesRightsObligations_20080429.pdf

So after reading that, do U think its worth doing NS for the "benefits" of being Citizen. And please actually read the link first before U comment

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's say you give up your Citizen in exchange for a PR so your kids don't have to serve NS, I can tell you, more then 1/2 of the so call Citizen will switch.

The benefit is really nothing, Thanks for posting the official ICA info so people can see and judge themselves.

Someone raise the issue of Citizen vs PR.

http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?t=33989

However other then the HDB and as usual, the NS issue, the thread starter did not really go too into the other details of Citizen vs PR.

This is the official benefits between Citizen and PRs direct from ICA website(think I've posted this somewhere before)
http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/docs/BenefitsPrivilegesRightsObligations_20080429.pdf

So after reading that, do U think its worth doing NS for the "benefits" of being Citizen. And please actually read the link first before U comment

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually when i kena NS after the age of 18. this Citizens vs PR debate neber really came to my mind, neither is joining the workforce later by 2.5 years.

my primary concern was how to get myself fit for the NS and contributing my part to my nation.

serving your country should not entail a condition, if you promise I get into UNI, i will serve my country. If you use it as a condition, you are not fulfilling your citizen obligations.

or like if you give me millions, i will believe you Jesus. This is a load of rubbish selfish thinking.

Ask David Marshall about rewarding millions for serving the country, he'll probably give you a big slap on the face...LOL.

We serve NS to protect our family and friends, most importantly, our country, even though we don't like LKY. We are not doing for LKY you see. I dun care two hoots if our enemies blow up Oxley Rise.

But if the enemies were to touch even a single piece of a homeland where our family and friends stays, we have to make sure they get the trill of their lives...LOL..

My second child is coming, if it's a boy, I'll support him going to NS.

Because, on looking back, serving NS is a pleasure, privilege and experience many in other parts of the world will not have the opportunity to do so.

There are 2 kinds of people on hearing gunshots firing around them.

One will run and hide, tremble with fear.

Another will pick up a rifle and fight to the end.

So serving NS provides the additional second option, instead of just tremble with fear and peeing in the pants, you could have another shot to protect your family and friends.

Better then watching them being gun down one by one helplessly?

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let's say you give up your Citizen in exchange for a PR so your kids don't have to serve NS, I can tell you, more then 1/2 of the so call Citizen will switch. ...
conversely, if u ask ze pr's how many wanna b ctzen, none wil want 2 switch ... :p

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
conversely, if u ask ze pr's how many wanna b ctzen, none wil want 2 switch ... :p

Actually I have a friend(Myanmar) and 2 colleagues(1 Swiss, 1 Finnish) who have switched. I've another colleague(Indian) who is pretty much resigned to the fact that he will not return home. The Indian colleague had 2 kids who were born and raise here. They pretty much consider SG their home and not India and my colleague is pretty much stuck here because of them

I think anyone making the switch here is probably still in the minority however there are a still pple who are willing to make the switch

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
my primary concern was how to get myself fit for the NS and contributing my part to my nation....

Oh really?...how is that every PR has another nation(country of birth)to serve too and yet getting equal treatment in Sinkie as you?...do you too have another nation to run too in times of trouble?

serving your country should not entail a condition, if you promise I get into UNI, i will serve my country. If you use it as a condition, you are not fulfilling your citizen obligations....

What crap !...serving your nation entails you to be treated with respect in return..its an unwritten law....It takes two to tango.No such thing as you ONLY serve your nation and that the nation kick your butt in return.

or like if you give me millions, i will believe you Jesus. This is a load of rubbish selfish thinking.

Ask David Marshall about rewarding millions for serving the country, he'll probably give you a big slap on the face...LOL.....

Why would David Marshall do that?Have you any idea how soldiers in his days were treated?...Soldiers in David Marshall time commanded the utmost respect and benefits...their status were higher than civilians...Almost every thing is FREE for a soldier in his time.

We serve NS to protect our family and friends, most importantly, our country, even though we don't like LKY. We are not doing for LKY you see. I dun care two hoots if our enemies blow up Oxley Rise....

Why than are there more foreigners here in Sinkie than locals?...who are you protecting?..the interest of foreigners outnumbers you and your children?....can you tell your enemy that you would not want to protect foreigners staying in sinkie?...or can you tell foreigners who are leeching on sinkies that you would not be protecting them at all?

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually when i kena NS after the age of 18. this Citizens vs PR debate neber really came to my mind, neither is joining the workforce later by 2.5 years. my primary concern was how to get myself fit for the NS and contributing my part to my nation.

You contribute but not everyone is doing the same. I have been asking this question from the day I enlisted till MR. Still white scums are keeping mum. And 144th ranked media just keep this topic unheard of. :oIo:

serving your country should not entail a condition, if you promise I get into UNI, i will serve my country. If you use it as a condition, you are not fulfilling your citizen obligations.

What obligations are we talking about since not everyone is doing it. In fact I see not doing NS perfectly all right as many had. I can name you if you want.

We serve NS to protect our family and friends, most importantly, our country, even though we don't like LKY. We are not doing for LKY you see. I dun care two hoots if our enemies blow up Oxley Rise.

My second child is coming, if it's a boy, I'll support him going to NS.

You dun need to serve NS to protect your family. You mean to say those never do NS are not able to protect their families??? Oh..C'mon

Because, on looking back, serving NS is a pleasure, privilege and experience many in other parts of the world will not have the opportunity to do so.

I gladly give this privilege to you. You can do double NS, will you take it?

There are 2 kinds of people on hearing gunshots firing around them. One will run and hide, tremble with fear. Another will pick up a rifle and fight to the end.

Why not 3rd, 4th, or many more kinds of ppl? I name you one kind, train in NS with soldiering skill and run road faster than those who are did not.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... had 2 kids who were born and raise here. They pretty much consider SG their home and not India and my colleague is pretty much stuck here because of them ...
wait til dose young punks grow up ... n dey hv commitments ... hv 2 pay bills ... look @ their cpf ...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fact that many PRs especially Malaysians do not want to take Singapore citizenship and are prepared that bit additional should tell you what the value is of the benefits/privileges table.

It appears like many, you have fallen into the trap of looking at the Benefits and Privileges alone. A far better comparison is between Singapore and other Countries - how do other countries treat their citizens vs PR compared to Singapore. Here are 3 major examples

1) Employment in the Govt Service is restricted to citizens - not so for Singapore.

2) The same applies to scholarships.

3) Entry into the country for PR is governed by a series of requirements ranging from qualification, language rules, short of skill sets determined by respective industries etc. In comparison, entry into Singapore is a whole lot easier.

Once someone is employed, they are able to pay the token additional fees that you find in benefits / privileges tables. One should not look at the token discounts but look at income opportunities. Suggest you read widely about other countries.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
few people are willing to give up their passports because they have attachment to the place they grew up with...

but i dunno, if MIWs changed SGP to something completely different from where i grew up.....

i may consider other bigger countries than a peesai that looked completely different from my former mutterland und vatherland..

especially true when laksa doesn't taste like laska anymore..because aunties and uncles died or kena replaced by FTs.. because they cannot compete for hawkers/foodcourt license..