• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chomp Chomp chop! chop!!!

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My friend and I went for our hawker fare at Chomp Chomp.What a disappointment!

The satay beehoon was horrendous - it was tasteless!!! My favourite for so many years! The fried hokkien mee came and it was not even hot!!! Must be all ready for some time! Then came my favourite wanton mee stall. The mee was like starch!!! The charsiew was hard! The wantoo horrible. Then I ordered my favourite Malay satay - chicken and mutton. The gravy was simply well grounded! Too smooth.The chicken meat was again cold and pre-heated.The mutton was again cold - perhaps pre-cooked too.Not well pengang!!! No satay smell at all. All the dishes were a big disappointment.

And of course had sugar-cane. $1.50 for plenty of ice and very diluted sugar-cane water!!! Like longkang chui!!!

What has happened to this food paradise - esp after the renovation?

The fat lady with the gold bangles serving fried hokkien mee has disappeared...and the young man serving delicious mutton soup also gone...the fish ball soup stall also gone....so many sugar cane stalls fighting among themselves...three fried hokkien mee stalls fighting among themselves...Kim hokkien mee is there...from $4 onwards!!!....

Anyone got a different experience? I've not been there for a long time and this is indeed one big bitter disappointment.

The whole place has lost its " traditional and nostalgic" ambience!!!!WTF!!! happening in Chomp Chomp!!! Everyone is busy counting money and busy collecting money paying lip service to the quality of the food and serving customers...damned sad this place...

Perhaps you have a different experience...:smile::confused::confused::confused:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
people who can cook very well cannot afford that market rates hawker rentals...

blame who? you need me to tell you? :smile:

if you like solid Satay Mee Hoon, I recommend ABC/Brickworks hawker center...

catch them quick, but they won't be long if they can't afford the rental later..

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
And they are ur favourites? anyway...i suggest u go over to the hawker centre across the road beside Shell station...eat blanco court kway chap...and the caitao kway beside it...and also the roti john that used to be at Gleneagles hawker...tao pao some roti from the bakery stall there too...

BusNo64

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiya chomp chomp std drop for long time liao lah. Now my favourite food center is old airport rd. Fried hokien noodle no horse run, also got the rojak, lok lok and of coz the mattar rd crab..slurp slurp..

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it is like that , after renovation, they raise rental.

some people who know how to cook, cannot take the rental and gone.
and those who do not know how to cook, take over and raise price.

just like my fav chicken rice, after renovation another chicken rice take over, i eat once, never eat there again, after sometime his business collapse.

the advantage of this renovation, that singapore food centre, hawker centre keep improving, get cleaner, more hygiene, better environment.

it is true that singapore eating place better cleaner and better.

if you go to taiwan and hk, their eating place horrible condition.

so, it up to individual, some might want good clean eating place but lousy food or good food in dirty location. PAP chose the former.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The satay beehoon was horrendous - it was tasteless!!! My favourite for so many years! The fried hokkien mee came and it was not even hot!!! Must be all ready for some time! Then came my favourite wanton mee stall. The mee was like starch!!! The charsiew was hard! The wantoo horrible. Then I ordered my favourite Malay satay - chicken and mutton. The gravy was simply well grounded! Too smooth.The chicken meat was again cold and pre-heated.The mutton was again cold - perhaps pre-cooked too.Not well pengang!!! No satay smell at all. All the dishes were a big disappointment.

Because of falling profits year after year .
All the hawker centres have downgraded all their suppliers to cheaper ones .
1) All pre-heated - save time
2) Starchy feeling - from cheaper noodle supplier
3) Small servings - profit more

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My friend and I went for our hawker fare at Chomp Chomp.What a disappointment!

And of course had sugar-cane. $1.50 for plenty of ice and very diluted sugar-cane water!!! Like longkang chui!!!

What has happened to this food paradise - esp after the renovation?

The fat lady with the gold bangles serving fried hokkien mee has disappeared...and the young man serving delicious mutton soup also gone...the fish ball soup stall also gone....so many sugar cane stalls fighting among themselves...three fried hokkien mee stalls fighting among themselves...Kim hokkien mee is there...from $4 onwards!!!....

Anyone got a different experience? I've not been there for a long time and this is indeed one big bitter disappointment.

The whole place has lost its " traditional and nostalgic" ambience!!!!WTF!!! happening in Chomp Chomp!!! Everyone is busy counting money and busy collecting money paying lip service to the quality of the food and serving customers...damned sad this place...

Perhaps you have a different experience...:smile::confused::confused::confused:

Ahh you know this place also...every since they renovated this place, give credit..it is much nicer looking, better toliets, but also BETTER PRICES for the food, the tender goes to Ants Till You C..something like that...so thank the U farters...

The standard had gone out of the window, a long time ago...
1. The old man selling kway chap etc...is gone
2. The fat lady, whom we named "Mary" selling the hokkien noodle ( SINgapore) is gone, we use not to mind the wait for 45 minutes.
3. The other lady with the 'painted face', selling Hokkien Noodle ( she was formerly from Lim Ah Pin Mkt, and formerly from outside Kok Wah Cinema is gone..[ eat that only you can't wait for Mary]

let us recollect. what else is gone....hmmm

4.The Bak Chor Mee, opposite the Satay Bee Hoon...which is also not there anymore...

and there was this European who married a SPG, and set up a stall, selling Pizas ets..which was no too bad tasting, even though the price is wee bit steep...and other food...his food not bad at all...heard he had a stroke... is gone too!

Satay Bee Hoon people....are still around, I know them..from way back, "when"...the quantity is little, the price isn't, the ingredients little, the gravy, thin as tasting plain water.

Wanton Mee...tolerable standard, but compared to yester year...not too good.

The Satay stall....not so good satays..taste like it comes off the freezer onto the grill for BBQ, and the gravy taste like those pre-mixes & thin, even the cucumbers are not fresh, the onions..and very little...the ketuput..taste like bought off the shelf...

Chomp Chomp is still crowded, smokey, and you smell like a 'hawker centre' when you get home...for the smoke gets into your hairs & clothes...

Overall, at the moment a passable food centre to eat, but, be willing to pay, pay & PAY a lot for, very small portion, for we have to thank the MIW's for raising the standard & raising the prices..

Like one Bala...will tell you...it is up to you, if you want 'caviar' or "Bak Chor Mee" that cost the same price as the caviars....ha ha ha ha :biggrin:, that is what the MIW's want us to pay, our fresh produces, our food on the table; cost the same you would be eating foir gras & caviar...and MEE SIAM MAI HUM....:p

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
_ordered my favourite Malay satay - chicken and mutton. The gravy was simply well grounded _

one thing I don't understand why satay gravy here served in small deep bowl ?
damn difficult to dip satay in. I ate satay in Thailand the put satay in shallow flat plate easy to eat leh !

BTW you eat a lot huh! these few days all your thread are about eating :smile:

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very soon Chomp Chomp will be turned into a jungle when the FTs from the dorm conglomerate there. The maids at the estate will flock there to pick up their fuck mates !!:eek:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thank you Halsey for that wonderful summary...Yes, almost all the best stalls have flown..I still remember the young man selling excellent teochew mutton soup..all alone! Must go early...after 9 pm no more!!!

What a waste! Many good stalls have disappeared...and one more thing: please remember to display your parking coupons...the parking wardens very ON one!!!

In such a place - without a car park coupon - you eat with great distress and anguish!!!

I don't understand why must display car park coupons even on weekends and public holidays!!! Many popular areas also have this car parking rules...Don't you think this is very stressful!!! While you're eating and enjoying your makan,you've to jaga your watch all the time - i find this damned stressful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
....BTW you eat a lot huh! these few days all your thread are about eating :smile:

Bro...besides bonking and eating, what's there to do now other than working like shit and sweat like hell for that bowl of rice!...

I believe all Singaporeans are great eaters and also great fuckers...:confused:wink:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
my friend call me this morning...he taulausia!!!!!!!! non stop...went to see doc and spent another 30 dollars!!!......cursed and sweared!!!

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only chomp chomp i can remember is back when Paramount cinema was still in operation and the goreng pisang was simply the best...

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had been eating the satay bee hoon for more than 30years. I think the grandson took over . But generally the standard didnt different much but i would say the beehoon they used is different.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
:biggrin:
The only chomp chomp i can remember is back when Paramount cinema was still in operation and the goreng pisang was simply the best...

The were two, the day time one, where "SPUTNIK" was ( the coffe shop also the kopi tiam..), now gone, the goreng pisang standard these days is horrendous, and the prices you pay for one, is 'goreng your pisang'..$1...or more

The number of years Paramount was in existence, I have never watch any movie there...bus service 73 still run there...

Anyway...most food prices we get today, are at 'goreng your pisang' prices....:p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I had been eating the satay bee hoon for more than 30years. I think the grandson took over . But generally the standard didnt different much but i would say the beehoon they used is different.

The mum is still at the shop, the standard is still the same,kidding!, the gravy is so watery, and the portion is extremely small...and the prices...:mad:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very soon Chomp Chomp will be turned into a jungle when the FTs from the dorm conglomerate there. The maids at the estate will flock there to pick up their fuck mates !!:eek:

No need...there area lot of maids there...on off days...you wann try, before the other FT's move in? :biggrin:

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With the FTs from the dorm screwing the maids at the Serangoon Garden households when nobody is in, the hottest saleable items will be condoms and KY.

Whole estate will be be like a vice jungle.

In no time, the property price of houses at the estate will plummet !!

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I was told by one of the vendors there that the son did not really goreng the nuts to make into rich and thick gravy unlike the father used. The father used to goreng until midnight for hours...Now the son took one hour or maybe used pre-packed ground nuts!!! Yes, the beehoon is different and the gravy is like siaochui!!! Terrible for a place of such popularity with customers..and for so many years. Standard really drops like shitchui!!!

The wanton mee is horrible - my friend lausiao! The old man hokkien mee stall is still not bad...very crowded...so fry very quickly and standard also drop lah...

The young man who sold world class mutton soup had sold his stall for a cool $250K!!! for the remaing 7 years lease!!! Waulau!!!! Some of the older ones have also sold theirs or just sit at home or see China mei meis and happily collecting rentals from $5K to $10K!!!!! Waulau...no wonder Singaporean uncles are so very rich!!!!

Chomp Chomp is really gone case liao..damned sad.