• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese Who Use English Names Lack Confidence

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
It depends.

When Singapore shook off colonial rule, we used names that have nothing to do with our colonial past.

Some refused to use their Christian names, then we have the embrace of names like Temasek, etc etc. This is a period where we have little confidence and think that any wink of the white man's eye at us is derogotary. After a while we realize that we are masters of our destiny, we have our own army, our own economy. We now feel a lot more confident. We can embrace our past, and have nothing to fear. Many of the newly setup companies under Temasek Group have "colonial" sounding name like Fullerton, Raffles, Stamford, Napier, etc.

Many from the latest generation have funny spelling name. What is wrong with that? It is all part of evolution and progress. Pretty sure that many of the common Christian names have evolved in the way they are spelt over the years.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the pt is buddhism originated from nepal not from india.

Yeah it is probably as foreign to the chinese as the indians are, I WOULD ASSUME

see those capital words, i don't know if the chinese find the nepalese as foreign to them as the indians. :rolleyes: therefore i am just making an assumption and not stating it as a god given right.

If there's nothing wrong for a Chinese to believe what a Nepalese preached, I guess there's also nothing wrong to believe what a Jew preached.

Lastly thanks for the wonderful insight you have given to the forum. I mean wow buddhism didn't originate from china? From another thread: Cheetahs are the world's fastest animals on land? Thanks for such ground breaking info, you are the light that shines unto the darkness that we live in since we all lack google or wikipedia and you know most of us here are idiots that wouldn't know such profound statements you have written her.

It's to mention something that everybody knows, so as to open discussion for all to share what not everybody knows, and everybody can know more. You seem think that what you know is what everybody knows, e.g. in another thread, you claimed that everybody knows that the Siberian tiger is the biggest. With due respect, I doubt everybody knows.

Not everything can be found at Google, Wikipedia etc.

Last edited:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This sentence is true! You will never find things like "techniques of psychological imprisonment" from google. I believed it must be some classified info., probably only the CIA has it. It's used in Communist China against political foes.:wink::biggrin:

Not everything can be found at Google, Wikipedia etc.

pallkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
If we talk about history,our ancestors were all coming from one source and that is Africa!We should be talking about present situation!

If those Chinese who submit themselves to be slaves or second class human beings,just feel free to adopt a Western names.

But,look at our Masters in the cabinets,there are very few with Western names!That is why they deserve to be the masters!Harry dropped that when he wanted to be the supreme master of this land!

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
what about some bayi singh changing his name to what fuck prince? he oso no confidence is it:biggrin::eek:

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
when i went to australia or new zealand for holidays i always used my chinese name.
but when i went to china, hongkong, taiwan, etc... i always used my english name.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wahlaneh...
when i went to australia or new zealand for holidays i always used my chinese name.
but when i went to china, hongkong, taiwan, etc... i always used my english name.

Interesting contrarian idea you have there. I have given names in four languages (Chinese, English, Japanese and Thai). Usually, I introduce myself using the name according to the language spoken at the occasion. Only my surname remains the same (just a matter of writing in Chinese character or transliterating in Roman or Thai alphabet).

When I was born, I got my Chinese name (along with surname of course). When I was baptised, I got my Christian (English) name. When I was in Japan and Thailand, the folks there affectionately gave me Japanese and Thai names. My Japanese name is actually adapted using the same characters as my Chinese name but pronounced the Japanese way that's totally different from Chinese. I must be a very confused man with very little confidence.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Surprised some people seem to have hang ups regarding, names, race, religion :eek:

I can tell you that many who are working oversea or in an MNCs environment adopt christian names for convenience sake. Angmos & non-Chinese have difficulty remembering & pronouncing chinese names.

In a business environment we have enough things to discuse other than trying to remember names. :smile:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You mean CHICKS or GFs?? :p:p:p:p:wink::wink::wink::wink:

That I'll tell you in private. :wink:

Back to the topic of name and confidence. All Chinese (PRC, ROC or overseas) know Sun Yat-sen, founding father of modern China. In English, his name is written Sun Yat-sen because his Chinese name is (姓)孙 (名)文 (字)逸仙。However, when speaking or writing Chinese, he's usually referred to as 孙中山。It's not a Chinese name. It's a Japanese name, Nakayama (also spelled 中山 in Japanese) when he was fugitive in Japan from Qing arrest warrant.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That I'll tell you in private. :wink:

Back to the topic of name and confidence. All Chinese (PRC, ROC or overseas) know Sun Yat-sen, founding father of modern China. In English, his name is written Sun Yat-sen because his Chinese name is (姓)孙 (名)文 (字)逸仙。However, when speaking or writing Chinese, he's usually referred to as 孙中山。It's not a Chinese name. It's a Japanese name, Nakayama (also spelled 中山 in Japanese) when he was fugitive in Japan from Qing arrest warrant.

hmm i think the china and taiwanese ppl do know that sun zhong san is japanese but i didn't know that and i suppose some ppl here too.

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting contrarian idea you have there. I have given names in four languages (Chinese, English, Japanese and Thai). Usually, I introduce myself using the name according to the language spoken at the occasion. Only my surname remains the same (just a matter of writing in Chinese character or transliterating in Roman or Thai alphabet).

When I was born, I got my Chinese name (along with surname of course). When I was baptised, I got my Christian (English) name. When I was in Japan and Thailand, the folks there affectionately gave me Japanese and Thai names. My Japanese name is actually adapted using the same characters as my Chinese name but pronounced the Japanese way that's totally different from Chinese. I must be a very confused man with very little confidence.

wahlaneh...
i not so international lah.
but i realized that if i use so-called Christian names in those Chinese countries, they tend to look up to me but if i use my NRIC name i kana looked down lor.
same as in those angmoh countries, if i use my NRIC name i get privileged treatments but if i use Christian names they treat me just like any of their common Asian folk.
by the way, everytime i go to a different Chinese countries i use different Christian names u know?:biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wahlaneh...
i not so international lah.
but i realized that if i use so-called Christian names in those Chinese countries, they tend to look up to me but if i use my NRIC name i kana looked down lor.
same as in those angmoh countries, if i use my NRIC name i get privileged treatments but if i use Christian names they treat me just like any of their common Asian folk.
by the way, everytime i go to a different Chinese countries i use different Christian names u know?:biggrin:

My Christian name is on my NRIC and passport.